Continental Privateer (Open PM First)

"I do not know," in all honesty Humphreys did not know. All he knew is that he needed to reach the safe harbor as quickly as possible to avoid a patrol. Tomorrow is going to be a test of their skill with their speed reduced to the speed of the slowest vessel, however, he was confident in his men as well as their task that they would succeed. "All I know is we will succeed. That is all I know." He had that confidence in himself and his men.

Down below the offwatch was having a rousing good time with drink and several women they brought onboard as the cook used the small iron stove to prepare a hot meal for the captain's guest. With the goods of the harbor onmboard there was plenty of fresh food including vegtables thus he was going to go all out and sent a plate with toasted cheese and a slab of fresh beef and hard bread and a cup of spiced rum.

When the privateer delievered it to the cabin I offered it over to Lee and said, "The treat of the caribbean."
 
I was about to ask his name, perhaps I got it wrong and before I could say it. A man came in and I took the tray from him and bowed her head to him. "Thank you for taking the time to do this, I know your busy so thank you" I know it was his job but still she was another mouth to feed and I felt like I needed to show him how thankful I was, watching him leave. I looked up and smiled at the captain. "I feel like I got your name wrong, so forgive me if I did what do you want me to call you?"

I felt kinda silly about asking the captain but thinking right now that running my hand against my neck and began to eat. It was lovely, some meat and cheese and vegetables which was something I really loved. After my lovely meal, I sat the tray down and made sure I didn't look like hell. Since I was so hungry I didn't realize how fast I ate, and made sure there was no mess on my face.
 
"Taking a harbo and a fort can leave one quite fagged, I dare say. Best for us be off to bed," and Humphreys realized that having her in his cabin and in his bed was not leaving him much room and he could not order her out for it was against his manners but he did have a hammock, a spare they kept onboard with many others. Taking the ends and hooking them onto the rafters of the ceiling he had himself a bed and said to Lee, "You may take my bed until we reach Trinidad."

It was not a hardship at all of the captain had lived in the gentle swayings of the hammock and grew accustomed to its form of comfort compared to that of a rare bed.

"Tisdale will awake you at eight bells and begin your schooling. Best be up by then," he said, "I wish you a good night."
 
I had watched him and smiled to what he said to me, but then realizing there wouldn't be enough room on the bed. I watched what he was doing, and was about to say that I would be more then happy to sleep in the hammock. But hearing what he said that I could have the bed till Trinidad, I nodded very thankfully and laid down on the bed. I knew I had a lot to learn but I was a quick learner if nothing else. And I was more then happy to learn new things, no matter how hard life here could be.

Finding sleep and it just felt like only moments when I heard the bells ring, and got up quickly. Got dressed and dashed out before the eight bell. I made sure my hair was up and out of the way, and was all set to make a good impression but didn't know what the man looked like I needed to speak with.
 
"You there! You be Lee?" Tisdale shouted from the forecastle. When the person acknowledge he waved her over, "Very good. Come here, lad. There is much to be learned onboard a ship. Not only are there the ropes but also the positions. Look here." pointing at his feet Tisdale said with a soft voice, "I will not trouble you with great detail, but this post we are now is called the forecastle."

Pointing back to the raised position that was above the captain's cabin, "That there is the poop." Looking closer there was the bosun with the ship's wheel."

When the captain awoke and dressed himself he came on deck to see Tisadale walking around the length of the ship pointing up at the masts and the sails with Lee close by intent on learning everything about the Fusiliade. Behind them was the small fleet of ships they had aquired from raiding Saint Kitts. They were making all due speed to Trinidad and a midshipman informed that they were making six knots. Very good, but it will take them a week to reach Trinidad at this speed and course.
 
I had a feeling he thought I was a boy, I wanted to say "no I am a girl" but I didn't want to cause drama so I just acted like a boy. I was surprised that he treated me so nice, but I didn't mind it at all. I listened to every little thing he told me about, I was so happy to be treated like an equal. I had a feeling if I told them I was a girl and a governess that he would end up treating me different. I didn't want to be treated any different. So as I learned the ropes I was having fun learning about it as I nodded.

"Alright sounds good, good thing I am a fast learner.

I said with a very happy grin on my face.
 
"Fine. Fine." Tisdale said as the schooling continued as the captain was approached by the pursor whom hd spent the entire night going over the ships' books and deduced that the possible gain they set to aquire was slated to be over one hundred fifty thousand pounds not including the one hundred and one thousand they aquired through the ransoming. All of these ships were legitiment prizes but the congress would not take to having a whole town being ransomed but Humphreys cared not for this for the coin was now onboard his ship and there was not another American ship insight.
 
I was having a really nice time and learned everything I had to pretty quick so I was very glad that it turned out for the best. Since really I didn't want to disrespect anyone accidentally, but as I looked up I had noticed the captain and smiled a bit. But then I shook my head and continued to be taught about how to work on this ship. Hearing names of rooms, and the decks it was rather fun, a nice time away from the town would do her some good as well. I hoped he didn't mind teaching me since really I enjoyed it.
 
After going over what the purser had present Humphreys sent him along and approached Tisdale to aquire how the young Lee was prgressing in his learning.

"Quite well. We'll make an able seaman out of him yet, sir," Tisdale said confidently.

Humphrey knew of his worth and let them go about their task as he went up to the poop deck and looked astern to see the captured ships moving behind them quietly almost all of their sails open catching a strong breeze from the North-West. If they were inded to gain over a hundred fifty thousand pounds for the captured coupled that with what they had gained with the ransom then they would have over two hundred and fifty one thousand pounds sterling that would leave Blackbeard envious, but that would only come to fruitition if they reached Trinidad. Thus far they were making good headway from the main mast lookouts were scanning the blue horizon for any sign of a sail but thus far it was all empty.
 
I could tell he was speaking to the captain and to prove my worth I followed in line taking a deep breath as I pulled in the sail as I was told to do. In the distance I began to wonder how life on the ship would be, but I wasn't to worried about it really. Taking a big deep breath as I looked up at the sky and it was so beautiful out. Humming a tune as I began to wonder how long id be allowed to stay on this ship. Since I wanted to be here for a while more, I smiled as I looked over at the captain I nodded my help.

"morning captain I hope you slept well?"
 
"I did, thank you," Humphreys replied tipping his hat. Around them the on watch were at their tasks in keeping the ship going. The guns were tied down and the gunports closed but htere was not another ship or piece of land on the hhorizon aside of those behind them and it seemed that they were all alone.

Three hundred leagues behind them Captain Allen and his ship, the Dolphin with her crew were at their stations when they saw black smoke coming above the horizon. That direction was towards the British held St. Kitts and nearing the source they were on guard for a British man of war, however, as they came closer Allen placed his spyglass to his eye and saw that the smoke was coming from one of the forts overlooking the harbor and there were no ships in the harbor. Strange. It appeared that someone had already beaten them to this place but still they pressed closer.
 
I smiled at the good old captain and something appeared to be on his mind, or perhaps that was just what I was thinking? I didn't honestly know. But I was curious about something so I walked on up to him and tilted my head down a little bit. Showing him I knew my place, and stood at attention a little bit. I gave him a smile "So tell me captain are the men to continue to think I'm a boy? been called son a couple times. But didn't correct them since I didn't want there to be any problem, I mean I know your in charge but.."

Looking down a bit I shook my head "Just don't want to cause any more trouble for you" I said happily and was glad that I could pass off as a boy. But honestly? I didn't know exactly what to believe or think right now. Taking a deep breath I looked up at the sky, smelling the sea and it smelt perfect. Smelt like freedom, and it was something I wanted to hold on to, no matter how much of a hard ship I could be under. My grey eyes could see all the beauty, and my eyes went right back to the captain.
 
Motioning her off towards the larboard gangway for a bit of privacy he said to her, "It is best that you remain as a boy, at least for now. You will be with me. Dine in my cabin and sleep in my bed. Not to make it perverted as I have my hammock. If any give you grief or speak ill will, inform me immediately, but other than that you will serve as a crewman here on the weather deck where you can be observed. Down below is here the filth lay. it is best you remain up here."

Giving a reassuring pat on the shoulder and sending her on her way the captain was asked to appear on the poop to look astern. "Where away?" the captain asked.

One of the midshipmen pointed to the right most ship, a large merchant man. "There, sit, just a point off her port."

Looking through his eyeglass the captain saw a faint speck on the horizon. Another ship that was coming their way.It was to far distant to be identify but Humphreys was going to assume it was a British ship of the line and ordered the men to their stations and for every sail to be bent.
 
I watched how he motioned for me to follow him, so I nodded of course and stopped when he did. Looking around I could tell no one was in ear shot, so my Grey eyes looked on to the captains. I smiled a bit as I crossed my arms and listened to him, nodding with him. He made some very good points, so of course I couldn't just say no. It was good that he didn't mind helping me and that I could use the bed. But then I began to wonder what happens once they dock, but I would worry about it later.

Watching him leave I smiled happily as I went back to my duties, I could smell fish in the air. It was a little skill that I had, as young as I could remember. When I smelt fish this strong it meant rain was coming, and it didn't have to be near water, so I knew that rain was possible even when no grey skies out in the open. So I decided to say something about it, taking a deep breath as I pulled my weight though my back was hurting. I didn't let it show I refused to let it show so I grinned.

"Captain this may sound crazy but I think it's going to rain sometime, no clouds yet but I bet it will happen" I chuckled.
 
"Rain you say? Well, that might work to our advantage," Humphreys replied before glancing back, the figure on the horizon was drawing closer. Now they could see the sails fully. The ship was alone but charging at them with all due speed but the identity was still not clear, but the ship was smaller, perhaps a sloop-of-war, less than a threat for the Fusiliade, still the captain ordered everyone to their quarters.

The captain told Lee to go to the poop and remain there with theh bonsun where she could see the strange ship herself as the crew went about their duties in loading and running out the cannons as well. They were going to have a fight, so it seemed, until the ship identified itself.

Putting his eye back to the eyeglass and looking once again the ship was flying a flag and saw that it belonged to the Contenintals!
 
I didn't know if I had done something but figured if I had I wouldn't be on the poop so I nodded. And walked down to it, and could feel how things were shifting right under my feet. And I grinned a little bit, it was a really interesting moment in my life. I looked over at the ocean and saw fish big ones like dolphin but I made sure not to fall in. I wanted to sing but knew if I had then what I was would be exposed, and I didn't want to create problems, and this would create problems I could just see it.
 
ISeeing the ship coming closer Humphreys was looking for the rain. If what Lee said was true that she could sense rain then perhaps that it could mask them from this approaching ship, but when the flag seen flying from the mizzen that it was a Contenintal but it could be a ruse, the same type of ruse he pulled on the British, thus he kept the crew at their stations and allowed the smaller ship to draw closer and then saw whom it was, the Dolphin and the captain laughed and approached Lee with a wide smile on his face, "It's the Dolphin" but she did not know whom they were. "An old friend of mine named Mister Allen from Boston. A fine man."

He was overjoyed but said nothing more to Lee. He forgot about her perdictament of beign a woman onboard.
 
I knew that a storm would come but would have to wait and see, since I couldn't tell you when it's going to hit. Just that it would, I just didn't want to look like a real idiot in front of the crew or the captain for that matter. But grinned at the captain "You worry to much about me Captain, much like you saw with my father, I can protect myself just fine" I said happily and silently sighed a little bit. Running her hand against my own neck and my other hand covered my mouth as I yawned, I was really happy.
 
Giving the Dolphin another look Humphrey's glanced to the north west and then the lookouts on the mainmast called down that there were dark clouds forming in that direction,; appears that they would recieve rain but not until the close of the day, if that. Ordering the men to stand down the Dolphin hailed the Fusiliade and came along the portside where the captain came over. Mister Allen's journey had him a much different appearnace than when he was in Boston.

His skin was sunkissed and red in some placs, eyes sunken and haggard from lack of sleep He had been on duty for three days straight with no sleep when came upon the carnage that Humphreys had unleashed not only in Sainte Kitts but also with other ships. If he was truely responsible Allen would be forced to either take him into custody or stop his ship from doing more wreckless damage. Not only did the man sack the town but he sank three French and two Spanish ships and killed over three hundred sailors that belonged to their allied nations, but when Humphrey's saw the man he just laughed as though nothing was amiss and welcomed him aboard.
 
When I noticed the black clouds, least I was right and wouldn't appear like a fool. But something was wrong right now, looking over at the man that came aboard he looked so very tired. And looked like a stiff wind could blow him away, I slowly made my way to the man who was coming on. H e looked rather nice, though rather tired which was understandable really. I could tell that he was three days without sleep. For each day it was like he had a bag under his eyes. But I said nothing.

I didn't know where this was going, so giving him a wide birth I silently sighed and placed my hands on my slender hips. Hanging my head and then looking up at the sky, I could see the grey clouds and it was a rather beautiful sight. A big smile on my face as I began to wonder about this new captain. Perhaps she got men mixed up which was possible, but I had a feeling that the captain she was with now was in trouble. Trouble was in the air and it was rather hard to describe it.
 
Allen tried to smile but his chapped lips pained him and asked to speak with the captain inside his cabin, alone. There were pressing matters that needed to be addressed immediately.

"Indeed, come, my friend," Humphreys said and kept the crew to their duties. The two ships close together were moving at a slow two knots but still making a course for Trinidad. Lee was told to stay out of the cabin, thus, she followed Humphrey's order to stay on deck as Tisdale would come along and ask her to tie some ropes to keep her busy.

Down below as soon as the door to the great cabin closed Allen was roaring, "Were you responsible?"

"For what?"

"We came upon four ships that were burned to the water line and those people we pulled out from the water said it was an American privateer!"

"Ships are ships, my friend. A prize is a prize," Humphreys replied sitting on behind his writing desk.

"They are our allies, you fool. French and Spanish. Many of them died from the sharks. Where did you aquire these other prizes?" gesturing out the stern window at the ships slicing through the water astern of the Fusiliade.

"We had a cutting out mission in Sainte Kitts. Quite successful as you can see. These seven ships are legitimate prizes, I assure you."
 
I sensed something was very off right about now, and I followed the orders I was given. Since I didn't want to piss people off to much. Taking a deep breath as I did my duties I was humming a bit and I noticed the farther on the sea we went. The more closer to the grey clouds we got, I smiled happily and knew that rain would grace us. Something about being out in the rain was something I loved, reminded me of mother. I was born on a rainy day and always could tell when rain was coming.

But I could hear the yelling outside the cabin, I wasn't ease dropping but the new captain was pissed. I could sense it in my body that this captain may have done something rather wrong, and it got me rather curious about everything. Taking a deep breath as I began to wonder what on earth could have happened. But then I heard something about ships being taken down and it got me rather interested. Taking a deep breath I finished up what I was suppose to do and a soft smile could be seen on my face.

"What did you do captain?" I said very lowly so no one could hear me.
 
Allen appeared on deck and ordered his boat to take him back to the Dolphin. His face was fuming mad but said ot another word as he climbed down into the boat and shoved off. Humphreys watched depart with a smug grin on his face and turned to Lee, "See that man? He is from Boston as well. A privateer but not as rich as we be. give him time and he'll learn how to be successful."

Ordering the men back to their tasks the Fusiliade maintained their course towards Trinidad as the Dolphin traversed to port and began to slowly shrink onto the horizon.

When it was supper Humphreys ordered that Lee be served in the great cabin with the rest of the officers. The cabin doors were closed andafter a large table to commendate all of the officers was laid out with all the makings of a feasts complements of St. Kitts with port wine and table cloth and serveants.
 
I noticed that Allen was rather pissed that was clear in his face, when the captain told me that he wasn't as rich I crossed my arms. Soon it was dinner time and I was in his cabin unsure if the captain would be joining me, but so far I was all alone. I wanted to eat with the men, but knew that if they found out I was a woman things would get nasty. But taking a deep breath I just ate in silence, a soft smile on my face as I enjoyed the lovely tastes of the foods that had been made for her and everyone else.

But I realized people would be eating with me and I smiled a bit, but kept to myself. I was afraid if they listened to my voice the look of a boy would just fall apart. Looking up I saw a few men looking at me and I just offered them a smile. Sipping my drink as I ate quickly, I was starving and a full day of work made me very hungry.
 
Humphreys sat at the head of the table as the dinner of soused hogs face was served and the wine flowed freely. Everytime a glass was seen empty a servent would come and fill it immediately. As privateer they did not have as many rigged customs as the Navy but they still oberserved some, such as the status of captain where Humphreys sat in front but the dress was much differe,t more loose. Tisdale said that they would make it to Triniddad in due, but the other officers were overwhelmed with the promise of booty that they did not pay any attention to Lee which is what Humphreys was hoping for. He could have kept her on deck but with Tisdale being served dinner that form of protection was lost, hence it was best to keep young Lee close, but not reference.

Much as well as the officers celebrated more and more, drinking more and more. Soon they would forgetall of this until Tisdale brought up the question of the Dolphin and his captain, the young Captain Allen.
 
Back
Top