Healthy Eating/Fitness Goals? Check in here!

Day 11 complete, despite my husband making me laugh while trying to hold it, the scoundrel!

Tomorrow the time limits jumps to a minute and a half. I don' know bout dis.

Last edited:
Workouts are going well, but I've made shitty food choices all week.

I just had a sinful burger-bacon-egg, with chili cheese fries, for dinner... so I feel that. :p

A switch flipped in my head 16 months ago; I decided that fat was not good. I dropped 1/3 of my body mass in a year via the Ed Taylor diet. Ed was a fat schlub who realized he was a fat schlub because he ate too much. So, the Ed Taylor diet: Don't eat too much. (Lots of teas and vegs and low-fat protein, and few carbs.) Am I at my goal? Not quite. That goal has been to drop 45% of that starting mass. I still have 15% to go from where I've stabilized now.

If a body feels itself starving, it becomes more efficient. So, kick-start it every now and then with a surfeit. I had a Chinese buffet lunch yesterday, lots of flesh and veggies, no noodles or rice. I lunch so every couple weeks. I always drop five pounds in the week after such a feed -- if I return to my very-low-calorie routine.

A switch flipped in my head 16 months ago; I decided that fat was not good. I dropped 1/3 of my body mass in a year via the Ed Taylor diet. Ed was a fat schlub who realized he was a fat schlub because he ate too much. So, the Ed Taylor diet: Don't eat too much. (Lots of teas and vegs and low-fat protein, and few carbs.) Am I at my goal? Not quite. That goal has been to drop 45% of that starting mass. I still have 15% to go from where I've stabilized now.

If a body feels itself starving, it becomes more efficient. So, kick-start it every now and then with a surfeit. I had a Chinese buffet lunch yesterday, lots of flesh and veggies, no noodles or rice. I lunch so every couple weeks. I always drop five pounds in the week after such a feed -- if I return to my very-low-calorie routine.

I'm down another 2 lbs from last week. Holiday weight is officially gone.

Congratulations!

It is great to see everyone doing so well with their goals, and this thread where everyone is sharing their success and encouragement is a great idea.

*high fives Eilan*

Continued success everyone!

I'll leave you with a wee aphorism to help get you through the tough days, or when you are not seeing the results of your efforts as quick as you'd like -

~ Little strokes fell great oaks ~

I'll eat when I'm hungry,

I'll drink when I'm dry.

If the good times don't kill me,

I'll live 'till I die.

(No, I didn't write that, I heard it in a movie and think it's a decent philosophy to live by.)

I believe these are lyrics from Rye Whiskey.

Day 12. A minute and a half. This one bout near killed me. The only reason I held it was because the cat decided to lie right underneath me. If I'd given out, she'd have been in for a very rude awakening!

We're heading out for the long weekend, so I doubt I'll be able to get my planks in. But we will be doing a lot of walking, so I suppose that's something.

I had red velvet pancakes this morning for breakfast with a friend. :eek:

This isn't the way I'm supposed to be doing this. *shaking my head*

I've had to alter my lifting schedule now that I'm back to work. Tuesdays and Thursdays, unless I go after hours, won't be an option.

Rude awakening + cat = claws!
:eek:

Usually, yes. I've no doubt she could put some serious teeth/claws into an attack if she so chose to do so. But on the whole, she'd very gentle and tolerant. It's more likely she's squawk and give me "How could you?" looks for the remainder of the day.

Even though we were out of town, I did my planks. Tomorrow, the time limit is supposed to increase to two minutes. Maybe I'm underestimating myself, but seeing as I'm barely holding a minute and a half, I may have to slow this time schedule down a bit and increase the hold time on a more gradual basis.

Even though we were out of town, I did my planks. Tomorrow, the time limit is supposed to increase to two minutes. Maybe I'm underestimating myself, but seeing as I'm barely holding a minute and a half, I may have to slow this time schedule down a bit and increase the hold time on a more gradual basis.

Well, it turns out I didn't underestimate myself. Not only could I not hold it for 2 minutes, I didn't even make the minute and a half I've done the last couple of days. I gave out at a minute 15. I know doing something is better than nothing, but I'm still bummed. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Well, it turns out I didn't underestimate myself. Not only could I not hold it for 2 minutes, I didn't even make the minute and a half I've done the last couple of days. I gave out at a minute 15. I know doing something is better than nothing, but I'm still bummed. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Instead of going for longer and longer times on the plank it's fun to keep the maximum time to a minute and then move onto a variation. The simple ones are: lift one foot into the air a bit and do half the time per side; same with the arm; then same but with opposite arm and leg in the air (I have never got to that one). Changing keeps it interesting and doing harder versions will be more time efficient as you get stronger. Good luck!

Instead of going for longer and longer times on the plank it's fun to keep the maximum time to a minute and then move onto a variation. The simple ones are: lift one foot into the air a bit and do half the time per side; same with the arm; then same but with opposite arm and leg in the air (I have never got to that one). Changing keeps it interesting and doing harder versions will be more time efficient as you get stronger. Good luck!

Thanks for the information, Geoff. I'm going to continue to try for increasingly longer periods of time for just a bit longer. Stubborn, I guess. :eek::D

But, I think I'd also like to keep incorporating planks into my routine, and your ideas are a great way to keep them from getting boring!

How's everyone doing? Lifting is going well for me, as is the rowing challenge, but I'm making mostly crappy food choices.

My husband's work gym is starting another challenge** in February; this one involves getting 30 minutes of cardio five days a week and eating five servings of fruits and veggies a day. This might help me make better choices.

**There are seven challenges throughout the year. Anyone who completes five of them gets a fleece hoodie.

Things are going well.

Regular exercise and several consecutive weighings under 75 kilo.

Today's run seems to be in hard wind and rain, yikes!

Today's run seems to be in hard wind and rain, yikes!

Not fun! :eek:

So it's been 10 days since I last did a plank. I hit that wall where I couldn't hold it as long as I had been previously, let alone the new time limit. I took a couple of days off, intending to try again. But you know what they say about intentions. :rolleyes:

I'll pick it back up today (thanks for the nudge, Eilan), and see for how long I can hold it this time. Then I think I'll just gradually increase in 10 second intervals each day. It pains me to say it, but I'm not up to the schedule set by the 30 day plank challenge. :eek:

Not fun! :eek:

So it's been 10 days since I last did a plank. I hit that wall where I couldn't hold it as long as I had been previously, let alone the new time limit. I took a couple of days off, intending to try again. But you know what they say about intentions. :rolleyes:

I'll pick it back up today (thanks for the nudge, Eilan), and see for how long I can hold it this time. Then I think I'll just gradually increase in 10 second intervals each day. It pains me to say it, but I'm not up to the schedule set by the 30 day plank challenge. :eek:

The wind was luckily from our side or back most of the time. Had it been in our faces it would have been nasty, especially when the rain turned to sleet.
:D

Nothing to do, but to get back on the plank.
Do not focus on having lapsed, focus on moving again.
:rose:

Interesting posts as I look at the start of a new month. I'm going to do a self-challenge for 28 days and use some of your ideas to do it.

1. I'll start the plank/day
2. 20 days of cardio for at least 30/min/day
3. Calorie counting, which for me is hard. 20 days of hitting my calorie goals.

Thanks for the motivation. I like reading all your posts.

Managed to get my main lifts in yesterday, but then the middle school called to tell me that my kid was sick, so I cut the workout short. My daughter and I spent the night in the hospital, so I ate like crap again.

Back