Films that depict relationships in a realistic/mature manner...

erotica_n_s

Really Really Experienced
Joined
Jan 5, 2010
Posts
307
.



Yeah, if you've seen any films/TV shows that depict relationships in a way that makes you think - "people should watch this film to understand the "do's" and "don'ts" of a relationship..." - share your recommendations here...


Or if you've watched any films that reminded you of any of your own real-life relationships - share your recommendations...


Thanks guys...


.
 
Yeah, if you've seen any films/TV shows that depict relationships in a way that makes you think - "people should watch this film to understand the "do's" and "don'ts" of a relationship..." - share your recommendations here...

Or if you've watched any films that reminded you of any of your own real-life relationships - share your recommendations...

Why don't you kick the list off with your own contributions?
 
.




Never actually been in a romantic relationship myself, so can't speak from personal experience...

That having been said, if we're talking about e.g., TV shows, the example that most obviously comes to mind is Ted Mosby and Robin Scherbatsky from "How I Met Your Mother", although I'm not necessarily thinking of the actual relationship itself, but particularly Ted's lingering feelings for Robin, even they are not actually together, and the way he struggles to get over her - I think that's something many of us can relate to. Now of course, they made over 200 episodes of the show, and I've actually watched fewer than 100 of those, so there may be plot points that I've missed, but from what I saw, I'd say I could relate to the characters, and I liked/cared about the characters more than e.g. Ross and Rachel, from "Friends" or Leonard and Penny from "The Big Bang Theory"...

Now, incidentally, the reason I'm asking for suggestions here, is that I'm intending to write a story that's kind of a comedy with a bit of romance - that's right, it's not intended as a "romantic comedy", but rather a comedy with a little romance in it. It would be useful to have sources to take some inspiration from.



.
 
This is 40. I enjoyed it. I prefer the married couple on HIMYM. They were a solid couple.
 
.
Now, incidentally, the reason I'm asking for suggestions here, is that I'm intending to write a story that's kind of a comedy with a bit of romance - that's right, it's not intended as a "romantic comedy", but rather a comedy with a little romance in it. It would be useful to have sources to take some inspiration from.

.

I love that type of story. There are a few problems with taking it from a movie .. it's already been done, it may not be socially current, it may not challenge a reader enough to gain an audience. I have a friend who is a bit of a writer and has very good luck creating stories through observances that he makes in the real world.. and then researching social responses to issues he discovers in that process. From that, he is able to write relationships from a realistic perspective.

I guess what I would recommend is..
either decide what social environment you want to write in and then research that..
or decide what time period you want to write in and research that.
I don't know that the "love" part has changed as much as the what happens around the love that makes it different and, therefore, interesting.

With comedy, the audience either wants to say..
"oh my god.. that's so funny.. I do that all the time!"
or
"oh my god.. people actually do this??!!"
 
Revolutionary Road had Kate Winslet, I think. And yes, it was probably the most depressing movie ever!
 
I love how, in the movie "Once," it looks like it's going to develop into a sexual relationship until the Girl puts her foot down and tells the Guy that it's not going to be like that. In most movies, that would be the end of it, but she steers the relationship into a very fulfilling artistic professional relationship that enriches them both.

Other than that, I can't think of any specific movie offhand. But if a movie about relationships is any good at all, it has to go into those areas where the protagonists aren't on the same page, and have to communicate, because that's what all meaningful relationships are about, anyway. Think Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn.
 
I saw this movie Love & Sex (with Famke Janssen & Jon Favreau) years ago and always thought it was a realistic story of a good relationship. Not that I've had a good relationship myself, so I might not know what the hell I'm talking about.
 
Except that's only part of the plot of Once. They fall in love anyway through that artistic relationship and choose not to act on it because they both have unfinished relationships already.

Once is beautiful and positive and so shitty all at once. (see what I did there? hehe)

And isn't that realistic? The attraction was there (more in the man than the woman, I think) but they were both grown-ups and realized that their life circumstances took priority. I've known lots of people who were infatuated with other people but never let it show enough to disrupt either of their lives. And that was the point of Once, as I perceived it: disappointed love should never stand in the way of enduring friendship and support.
 
Back
Top