Free association thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Bertha

big-bertha-wwi.jpg

Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC

John Dobson, nineteenth century architect responsible for Newcastle Central Station and for developing, with Richard Grainger, many of Newcastle's neoclassical buildings.
Newcastle Brown Ale. Isn't all ale brown?

India Pale Ale

It is indeed, little witch, but not all brown ale is Newcastle Brown Ale... :) It's known locally as "dog" - as in "a bottle of dog, please" - which confused me when I first started work in a pub when I left school. Also, it should only ever be drunk from a half-pint glass called a "schooner."

India Pale Ale

It is indeed, little witch, but not all brown ale is Newcastle Brown Ale... :) It's known locally as "dog" - as in "a bottle of dog, please" - which confused me when I first started work in a pub when I left school. Also, it should only ever be drunk from a half-pint glass called a "schooner."

Pale Ale. Superman's oft-drunk second cousin?

General Zod

Bahahaha! Thank you, little witch. That gave me a much-needed laugh, glynndah. Maybe you should play him / her in Naoko's grand superhero free-for-all ;)

Egads!

Oh, good. You got my odd little reference.

Egads!

"Ye gods and little fishes, man!" - an exclamation burned into my brain by the excellent comic actor James Robertson Justice, who played a Seniors consultant in several of the "Doctor in the House" series of films.

Oh, good. You got my odd little reference.

Yeah, I think you judged the geek quotient of your audience pretty well... :rolleyes:

Oh dear me, no.
Newkie Brown (as it is occasionally known in other parts) is a sort of Amber colour.
The reason is the mixture of parts (malt & hops) to made it.
Hops grow in Kent and it's expensive to send Kentish hops in vast quantities up the Great North Road. So they didn't use quite so much of it in the beer.

On the other hand, breweries in the southern and western counties had oodles of the right stuff for a different, but real dark, brew. It tended to be slightly sweeter, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back