Protection (closed)

"She will be disappointed if I don't go; so let's just go and have some fun. I'll start painting when we get home. She can sleep in the guest room tonight and I'll finish tomorrow. I got a text from Maria - she only has a few minutes, so dinner with her is out for tonight.'

Just as you start to head up to get dressed yourself, I reach for your arm and pull you back into the kitchen, "Maybe someone will need a spanking tonight for being so forgetful. I'm sure we can work out some suitable punishment." Smacking you lightly on the ass as you smile and head up the stairs.
 
I swat at you as you smack my ass, a look over my shoulder telling you to behave as I go upstairs to dress for our day out. While I’m getting ready, Molly comes downstairs dressed and ready to go.

“I want to see the elephants when we get to the zoo!” Molly insist, squirming at the bottom of the stairs as you try to wrangle her into her coat and gloves. “And the tigers too!”
 
"I'm sure we will see all of those . . . and lots more." Finally getting her into coat and gloves just as you bounce down the stairs to join us. Once in the car, Molly continues her constant litany of what all she wants to see at the zoo.

Once we arrive and get inside, you pull her aside and give very strict instruction to stay with us; we will see what she wants to see, but no running off and leaving us behind. She nods . . . not happy with the restriction . . . but the threat to leave if she doesn't obey seems to get her attention.
 
I keep a tight grip on her hand as we make our way towards the first enclosure. I can see that she isn’t happy being treated like a five year old, but she’ll have to live with it. Looking over at you, I give you a smile, letting you know that I’m more than willing to play the bad guy today if you wanted to swoop in and make it all up to her.

“Mommy, I can’t see!” Molly insists, standing on her tiptoes to look over the railing at the tigers.
 
Picking her up for a better look, "Now can you see, Molly? I like the tigers too." Once we look at the tigers, we head toward the lion house . . . then toward the elephants.

After walking for a while, I can see that Miss Molly is beginning to tire, "How about a break for some popcorn and a drink?', guiding the two of you toward one the concession tents throughout the zoo.
 
“I think that sounds perfect.” I say, sitting down at a picnic table with Molly as we wait for you to place our order. “Are you having fun, Molly?” I ask, brushing a hand through her blonde hair as she nods sleepily.

“Mommy, can we go see the fish next?” She asks and I nod, giving her a smile. I know how important it is to make her feel the center of attention especially with everything changing around her.

“I bet that we can handle that.” I say, kissing her forehead as you come back with the popcorn and soda.
 
Coming back with the popcorn and drinks, Molly lets me know that the fish are next. "OK, after the fish, we need to head for home. Don't forget I want to start painting your bedroom today, and Maria is going to stop by after work for a few minutes."

The reminder of Maria stopping by is enough to get rid of any frown about leaving after the fish
 
After our snack is finished, Molly takes you hand and drags you towards the aquarium. She spends endless moments just staring at the colorful fish as they swim by. I smile to think that maybe one day she’ll be working with those sea creatures.

A quick stop by the gift store and one stuffed lion later, we are back in the car headed home. Molly is out like a light, her new stuffed animal under her arm. Reaching over, I place my hand on yours and give it a squeeze.

“Thanks for taking us to the zoo today.” I say, a smile on my face. “It meant a lot to Molly.”
 
"I think you just wanted to get me out in the fresh air so I would be tired when we get home and would leave you alone." Not that you have never initiated sex between us . . . hard not to laugh when I say that.

"Yeah, she had a good time . . . and a new stuffed animal to show Maria." I squeeze your hand and hold it in mine while we drive . . . pretty sure I know why Maria is stopping by, but I'll just have to wait and see.
 
“I know that your time with Alex and Maria wasn’t perfect when they were young, but you are so good with Molly. You’re a fantastic dad, Alan.” I say softly. The look in my eyes shows you that my words are heartfelt and I lean across the car and kiss your cheek. “I can’t wait until I can give you another baby.”
 
"I know how much her happiness means to you . . . and I want you to be happy; I remember the time when she told me you weren't very happy. Been a long time since I had to deal with a baby; I'm going to need lots of help with that."

Turning into the drive, Molly pops up . . . immediately looking for Maria's car. "It will be a little while before she gets here, Princess; she has to wait until she is done working today."
 
“Alright, Molly. I think you and I need to do some house cleaning while Alan paints.” I say as she pouts and frowns. “No pouting, Molly Susanne. I don’t want you to be in time out when Maria comes.”

Instantly, she snaps out of it and patiently waits until you let her out of her seat. Holding her lion, she follows behind you into the house and watches as you go upstairs. I can tell that she wants to help you, but this is a job that’s better left to an adult.

“Maybe in a little while you can go check on him.” I say, kissing her head as I move into the kitchen.

“Papa, can I come help?” She calls upstairs and I sigh, looking from the kitchen as she shifts from foot to foot, anxious about helping.
 
"In a little while after I get all the taping done and all the floor covered. Right now, you need to help Mommy get ready for Maria's visit." Pretty sure that Maria will be here before you get done what you want to do.

Getting all the doors and windows taped, the paint cloth spread around the floor, the bed dis-assembled and stored in the guest room. All the clothes out of the closet and hung in the guest closet. After filling in a few nail holes and thinking about opening the paint, I hear the door bell and a scream as Molly sees Matia at the front door.
 
“How’s my little sister?” Maria announces as Molly opens the door and lets her into the house. Molly lets out a squeal of excitement at being called her sister and she hugs Maria as Maria closes the door behind her.

“Hi, Daddy!” Maria calls as she sees you coming down the stairs and she hands you the garment bag that she’s picked up. “Where’s Michaela?”
 
"Probably in the laundry room; she and Molly were doing a little clean up down here while I start to paint Molly's bedroom." Just then we hear the washing machine start up and you appear around the corner.

As I stand here holding the garment bag, you two exchange hugs. Looking at me with a quizzical look on your face, "What's in the bag?"
 
Maria smiles mischievously as she looks at the quizzical look upon my face. “Well, Daddy and I talked and we decided that you needed a beautiful gown for the wedding, so I went and talked to the ladies at the store where you had picked the first one and they told me that you had your eye on another one but you were afraid of the cost.”

My eyes grow wide as I look from Maria to you, my jaw dropping slightly. “Please tell me that you didn’t…”

I move forward and pull on the zipper, presented with a flash of a heavily beaded bodice and I feel myself about ready to cry. “Alan, this is too much. You didn’t have to do this for me.”
 
"If I 'had' to do it, I probably wouldn't have; it is something we wanted to do . . . Maria and Alex wanted to do something special for you, so this is your wedding present from the two of them."

Between you and Maria, I see the flood of tears beginning . . . and Molly is jumping up and down with her own excitement at seeing the dress her Mommy is going to get married in.

I know I'm not supposed to see the dress before the wedding, so I just kinda stand here, holding the garment bag and trying to act "cool".
 
I hug Maria tightly, thanking her for such a beautiful surprise. Even Molly gets a hug, least she feel left out. Zipping the garment bag back up, I give you a quick peck on the lips and suggest that you hang it in our closet.

While your gone, I get both of the girls into the kitchen, pouring a cup of coffee for the adults and a glass of cocoa for Molly. Sitting at the table talking, Maria tells me that she has a date that night.

“I’ve known Sam since high school. Daddy didn’t really like him and I think Sam got scared away by that. He’s in the same medical program I am. We bumped into each other at the hospital and I agreed to a dinner date.” She’s telling me as you walk in and she suddenly goes quiet.
 
"Oops, did I interrupt something?" I have no idea what is going on, but the silence when I walk into the kitchen is obviious. "I was just coming down to see if Molly was ready to help with some painting; thought that might give you two some time to talk." Molly is already running to find her 'work clothes'.

Catching a quick glance between the two of you, "OK, OK, I'm out of here . . . I'll let you two get back to your talking."
 
Watching as you go, I look back at Maria as I wait for her to finish her story. “Daddy arrested Sam twice in high school. Sam didn’t have the best reputation, but he’s got his life turned around now.”

I smile and reach across the table to squeeze her hand. “Maria, I’ll talk to your father about it. Go on your date and have a nice time. We’ll deal with Alan later.” I encourage her and she instantly brightens up, moving to kiss my cheek before she bids me goodbye.

“Bye, Daddy!” She calls up the stairs on her way out the door. “Bye, Molly!”

I give you guys an hour before I call you down for dinner. Pizza tonight, baked fresh in the oven. “So, Molly, how would you like to sleep with Alan and I tonight?” I ask and she looks at you and then at me.

“Can I really?” She asks, her eyes wide at the possibility.
 
Looking at you thinking, "Why not the guest room?"

Who can deny a five-year old with a look on her face like that? "Of course you can." That sends her off into another round of bouncing and chattering. Finally corralling her to the table for pizza. After dinner, she settles into the couch for a little TV while I make sure everything in her room is closed - no paint cans open. Leaving one of the windows open just enough for the air to circulate and cut down on the paint smell in the rest of the house.

Coming back down, I join you two on the couch . . . takes another 15 minutes for her to fall soundly asleep . . . and we make our familiar walk up the stairs to settle her into our bed tonight.
 
Molly is out like a light as I put her in a nightgown and get her snuggled in the middle of the bed with her new stuffed animal. A kiss to her chubby cheek and I take your hand, leading you downstairs for a glass of wine before bed.

“So, Maria told me something interesting tonight.” I say as I place your glass in front of you and take my seat. “She’s dating a boy named Sam and she’s afraid that you won’t approve.”
 
"She's right, I don't. But, she's a big girl now and she can make her own decision about who she dates and who she decides to marry. I'm sure she told you why I have a bad opinion of Sam and I am sure he has changed, but I'm still the 'bad cop' that arrested him for his 'youthful indescretions'."

"I need to sit down and talk to her; if she is satisfied that Sam is a different person than he was in high school, then I need to give him a chance . . . but he will have to prove himself to me." Pausing for a minute, "Just think what Molly's boyfriends are going to have to put up with when they meet me for the first time; I am very protective of my little girls."
 
“Alan, he’s going to school with Maria. Surely a person training to be a doctor can’t be all that bad. There are much worse men that she could be dating.” I say, laughing softly as you tell me that you’ll be very protective of Molly.

“Well, maybe after the wedding and we get back from our honeymoon, we can have dinner with Alex and Becky and tell Maria to bring this Sam. Then we can both decide if this is cause for alarm.”

I stand up and move around to your chair, leaning down to kiss you gently. Lifting from the kiss, I smile down at you. “You’re a good man, Alan.”
 
"And a mean bastard when I have to be." Said with a smile on my face, but you also know that I will do anything necessary to protect my family.

Pulling you down onto my lap and pressing my lips to yours - one way to keep you from talking anymore right now. One hand slides down to squeeze your hip as the kiss continues. I see 'that' look in your eyes, "OK, babe, what are your thinking? You know I will do anything to protect you and Molly."
 
Back
Top