Reading Books For Pleasure

Couple thoughts here then I will let you discuss...

1. I like the idea of more than one of us reading a book.....as I don't have any one else to discuss this "type" of book with. Okay...I could discuss with Hubby..but not sure he would be into it..and not sure he would get the emotional side of the book. I like to hear others opinions on what has happened as it usually challenges my views and helps me to see things I didn't see before. Gives me a bigger picture..some insights..I enjoy it.

2. I also like the idea of everyone reading something different then writing a review, however that kind of skips over the whole let's discuss it thing or at least it puts it off.

3. Maybe we would could buddy up for a compromise?????? Then report back kind of thing...compare contrast or something (sorry teacher in my suggesting that)

No matter what everyone decides I would enjoy being able to read and discuss some books with content such as those that Fury suggested. It is outside my regular reading genres therefore is appealing to me. I already have some previously suggested readings (from a thread here) on my "to read/buy" list. :eek:

Hisbabydoll26 said:
Couple thoughts here then I will let you discuss...

1. I like the idea of more than one of us reading a book.....as I don't have any one else to discuss this "type" of book with. Okay...I could discuss with Hubby..but not sure he would be into it..and not sure he would get the emotional side of the book. I like to hear others opinions on what has happened as it usually challenges my views and helps me to see things I didn't see before. Gives me a bigger picture..some insights..I enjoy it.

2. I also like the idea of everyone reading something different then writing a review, however that kind of skips over the whole let's discuss it thing or at least it puts it off.

3. Maybe we would could buddy up for a compromise?????? Then report back kind of thing...compare contrast or something (sorry teacher in my suggesting that)

No matter what everyone decides I would enjoy being able to read and discuss some books with content such as those that Fury suggested. It is outside my regular reading genres therefore is appealing to me. I already have some previously suggested readings (from a thread here) on my "to read/buy" list. :eek:

As I said, I up for anything. We could even do both or all three. Have a thread for each.

Whatever y'all want to do but March is coming on here fast! So let's get it settled.

Fury :rose:

FurryFury said:
As I said, I up for anything. We could even do both or all three. Have a thread for each.

Whatever y'all want to do but March is coming on here fast! So let's get it settled.

Why don't we just go with one of the book for now just to get started and see how it works out, if we don't like it then lets change it us some how. My only question is we read the book and then talk for it for how long?? Will this be one book a month or will we reading say two??

leeroy jenkins said:
Why don't we just go with one of the book for now just to get started and see how it works out, if we don't like it then lets change it us some how. My only question is we read the book and then talk for it for how long?? Will this be one book a month or will we reading say two??

That sounds good. I wouldn't ever want to make a commitment I can't keep. So I would not want to do more than one book a month because I am reading tons of other things all at the same time.

FurryFury said:
That sounds good. I wouldn't ever want to make a commitment I can't keep. So I would not want to do more than one book a month because I am reading tons of other things all at the same time.

How many books a month do you read btw? I know I have gotten lazy in my reading but when you can read a book 500 page book in about ten hours its not to hard to catch up and its easier when all you have to do is go to work. At the moment if I am reading the screen correctly the one book that sounds most instresting is not in at all. So this brings us to another point how long do we say we have to read the book like two weeks or do we need longer so we all can join in.

leeroy jenkins said:
How many books a month do you read btw? I know I have gotten lazy in my reading but when you can read a book 500 page book in about ten hours its not to hard to catch up and its easier when all you have to do is go to work. At the moment if I am reading the screen correctly the one book that sounds most instresting is not in at all. So this brings us to another point how long do we say we have to read the book like two weeks or do we need longer so we all can join in.

How many books I read each month varies a lot.

In the good old pre Internet addiction day it was about one pleasure book every two days. I also read a huge number of other materials as I research stories to tell, other areas of interests, keep up with current events, scan books for relevancy to an area of study my kids are going and so on. Now a days, I read my pleasure book much slower and that's just sad. I'd say I read two a month now. *cries*

Anyway, we will begin the Book Club HOLY Shitake mushrooms! March first is tomorrow! Crapola! Okay, we will officially start it at midnight.

I have Raven2, Hisbabydoll26, Brioche, Leeroy Jenkins and possibly Graceanne saying they are interested as well as, lil ole me. Anyone who wants to join in is MORE than welcomed to.

I will now go to my library web site and put this book on hold!

This will be our first book.

5.) Panic snap by Laura Reese.

From Publishers Weekly
Blurring the line between pleasure and pain, Reese (Topping from Below) wraps a wickedly raunchy tale of sexual obsession and sadomasochism inside a taut, suspenseful thriller. Transfigured by extensive plastic surgery and hampered by full amnesia, Carly Tyler, 32, has been pursuing her past ever since she was beaten and left for dead on a California roadside 15 years ago. When a magazine photo of one James McGuane provides Carly with a spark of recognition, she decides to get a job at Byblos, the Napa Valley vineyard run by James's family, in an attempt to find clues about her previous life. There, she meets a man so charged with carnal energy that she is immediately and perilously drawn to him. Carly and James's dominant/submissive sexual relationship involves whips and bondage, psychological torture and devotion, all presented by the author at a pace guaranteed to steam up the windows. The nefarious James is quick to figure out who Carly is (or was). He promises to explain a connection between her and his dead wife if she continues to appease him, and he strings Carly along for months while his jealous twin sister, Gina, does nearly everything possible to get rid of her. As memories trickle back, the three characters veer toward a deadly climax that leaves one of them on trial for murder. Reese's workaday prose is burdened by repetitive character descriptions, but her prowess in mixing erotica and mystery creates frissons of excitement. Agent, Barbara Lowenstein. (Apr.)
Copyright 2000 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Review

"Wickedly raunchy...suspenseful...charged with carnal energy." --Publishers Weekly

"Blurring the line between pleasure and pain, Reese wraps a wickedly raunchy tale of sexual obsession and sadomasochism inside a taut, suspenseful thriller...Her prowess in mixing erotica and mystery creates frissons of excitement." --Publishers Weekly

"[A] highly erotic novel...dangerous sexual appeal." --Woman's Own

Everyone will have till the end of the month to read it and then we will discuss it.

Sound good everyone?

FurryFury said:

In the good old pre Internet addiction day it was about one pleasure book every two days. I also read a huge number of other materials as I research stories to tell, other areas of interests, keep up with current events, scan books for relevancy to an area of study my kids are going and so on. Now a days, I read my pleasure book much slower and that's just sad. I'd say I read two a month now. *cries*

Anyway, we will begin the Book Club HOLY Shitake mushrooms! March first is tomorrow! Crapola! Okay, we will officially start it at midnight.

I have Raven2, Hisbabydoll26, Brioche, Leeroy Jenkins and possibly Graceanne saying they are interested as well as, lil ole me. Anyone who wants to join in is MORE than welcomed to.

From Publishers Weekly
Blurring the line between pleasure and pain, Reese (Topping from Below) wraps a wickedly raunchy tale of sexual obsession and sadomasochism inside a taut, suspenseful thriller. Transfigured by extensive plastic surgery and hampered by full amnesia, Carly Tyler, 32, has been pursuing her past ever since she was beaten and left for dead on a California roadside 15 years ago. When a magazine photo of one James McGuane provides Carly with a spark of recognition, she decides to get a job at Byblos, the Napa Valley vineyard run by James's family, in an attempt to find clues about her previous life. There, she meets a man so charged with carnal energy that she is immediately and perilously drawn to him. Carly and James's dominant/submissive sexual relationship involves whips and bondage, psychological torture and devotion, all presented by the author at a pace guaranteed to steam up the windows. The nefarious James is quick to figure out who Carly is (or was). He promises to explain a connection between her and his dead wife if she continues to appease him, and he strings Carly along for months while his jealous twin sister, Gina, does nearly everything possible to get rid of her. As memories trickle back, the three characters veer toward a deadly climax that leaves one of them on trial for murder. Reese's workaday prose is burdened by repetitive character descriptions, but her prowess in mixing erotica and mystery creates frissons of excitement. Agent, Barbara Lowenstein. (Apr.)
Copyright 2000 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Review

"Wickedly raunchy...suspenseful...charged with carnal energy." --Publishers Weekly

"Blurring the line between pleasure and pain, Reese wraps a wickedly raunchy tale of sexual obsession and sadomasochism inside a taut, suspenseful thriller...Her prowess in mixing erotica and mystery creates frissons of excitement." --Publishers Weekly

Everyone will have till the end of the month to read it and then we will discuss it.

Sound good everyone?

You gotta love a woman that will take charge and tell you what to do! :cathappy: I guess now I need to spend the 2 bucks and get replacement card to my library if I can't find my old one tonight. But why that name just something you pulled outta thin air?? As for the book that is the one of hers that they do have so in atm so good choice, if we like her lastest then will we try and read her other one or just move on to something else?

leeroy jenkins said:
You gotta love a woman that will take charge and tell you what to do! :cathappy: I guess now I need to spend the 2 bucks and get replacement card to my library if I can't find my old one tonight. But why that name just something you pulled outta thin air?? As for the book that is the one of hers that they do have so in atm so good choice, if we like her lastest then will we try and read her other one or just move on to something else?

Name? Which name?

If we like her book we can read others later but my preference would be to try other authors.

I will put the BDSM Book Club Thread up April 1 for us to discuss that book and others we read in the club. In the meantime, feel free to discuss books and reading or anything else anyone likes here.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

FurryFury said:
Name? Which name?

If we like her book we can read others later but my preference would be to try other authors.

I will put the BDSM Book Club Thread up April 1 for us to discuss that book and others we read in the club. In the meantime, feel free to discuss books and reading or anything else anyone likes here.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

The book club name is what I was referencing, and as for the other book Panic snap is Reese's second book, so I was talking about her first one. So we're going to take a month to allow for the reading to be done and then discuss the book or what, just a bit lost Fury. Also thanks for getting my ass to the library, they just opened at a new location and I would say the building might be like like Kmart sized so much better then that old building.

leeroy jenkins said:
The book club name is what I was referencing, and as for the other book Panic snap is Reese's second book, so I was talking about her first one. So we're going to take a month to allow for the reading to be done and then discuss the book or what, just a bit lost Fury. Also thanks for getting my ass to the library, they just opened at a new location and I would say the building might be like like Kmart sized so much better then that old building.

Okay I think we will call it The BDSM Book Club unless someone else has a better or different idea.

I think both of her books are stand alone books. I prefer to get the one I don't have to pay for.

Yes, we are going to take a month to allow for the reading of the book and then we are going to discuss the book on thread.

I'm glad you got you library card. The library is a great, mostly free (tax dollars at work, but still) , resource for all kinds of things.

FurryFury said:
Okay I think we will call it The BDSM Book Club unless someone else has a better or different idea.

I think both of her books are stand alone books. I prefer to get the one I don't have to pay for.

Yes, we are going to take a month to allow for the reading of the book and then we are going to discuss the book on thread.

I'm glad you got you library card. The library is a great, mostly free (tax dollars at work, but still) , resource for all kinds of things.

Well damn I guess I will just read both of her book provided I actually like the second one that is, to bad your library it sounds like does not have both in stock. The dvd thing comes in handy, I think this weekend I might breakdown and watch Gone with the Wind finally and see what all the hoopla is about. Of topic Fury but are you finally over the sinus cold and back to 100 percent??

FurryFury said:

From Publishers Weekly

Review

Sound good everyone?

*jumping up and down* I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo excited...went right to Amazon to get it...and well..kind of picked something else up too....so I'll have to let you know if the something else is worth tackling another month. I will have some fun reading this Spring Break :)

leeroy jenkins said:
Well damn I guess I will just read both of her book provided I actually like the second one that is, to bad your library it sounds like does not have both in stock. The dvd thing comes in handy, I think this weekend I might breakdown and watch Gone with the Wind finally and see what all the hoopla is about. Of topic Fury but are you finally over the sinus cold and back to 100 percent??

Actually the list was off of a web site for BDSM novels. Her first book didn't come up. So I probably didn't check to see if they had it. If I did check, they didn't have it.

No I am not back to 100 and it was never a cold. I'm pretty pissed about it. I'm beginning to believe I'm going to have to think myself well.

Hisbabydoll26 said:
*jumping up and down* I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo excited...went right to Amazon to get it...and well..kind of picked something else up too....so I'll have to let you know if the something else is worth tackling another month. I will have some fun reading this Spring Break :)

*grins*

Yay!

I'm happy about all this too!

*HUGS*

Fury :kiss: :rose:

Your killing me Fury look at page 2 at your post book 4 and 5 are the same author lol that is why I said if we like book 5 then maybe read book 4. I have both books resevered so its not matter thankfully though book 5 will be in by Sunday so by midweek I will have it done at the lastest.

If you think that is bad try driving across country one day your fine and the next on some whim you get out to eat and instant allergy attack so bad that you break down to actually spend money for relief.

leeroy jenkins said:
Your killing me Fury look at page 2 at your post book 4 and 5 are the same author lol that is why I said if we like book 5 then maybe read book 4. I have both books resevered so its not matter thankfully though book 5 will be in by Sunday so by midweek I will have it done at the lastest.

If you think that is bad try driving across country one day your fine and the next on some whim you get out to eat and instant allergy attack so bad that you break down to actually spend money for relief.

Damn. Really? Well fuck me with a spoon! I guess I've lost my mind. Fucking sinuses! I blame them.

Nothing changes people! Nothing! Stay the course! *grr*

FurryFury said:
Damn. Really? Well fuck me with a spoon! I guess I've lost my mind. Fucking sinuses! I blame them.

Nothing changes people! Nothing! Stay the course! *grr*

:D Your cup of life is overflowing so as long as someone saw it that is all that matter, but if we all like her book are we going to be slated to read and discuss the first one? I think something other then a spoon would be much more enjoyable for the both of us.

We shall see.

I like spoons. Cold ones. Hot ones.

Anyway the book club will continue as already agreed to. There will be NO Deviations. LMAO! Riiight.

FurryFury said:
We shall see.

I like spoons. Cold ones. Hot ones.

Anyway the book club will continue as already agreed to. There will be NO Deviations. LMAO! Riiight.

Yes Misstress Fury. I live to obey. I think I would rather use some food items and my tongue, but if you like spoons then please teach me how to use it for maxium effect.

Well, to be honest, that is just a saying of mine, "Fuck me with a spoon." However, not long ago I did a task at the BDSM Academy involving hot and cold spoons. Since I love temperature play, I rather enjoyed it but it wasn't fucking.

I am a voracious reader, and read everything. I love Matt Reilly and James Rollins books, but never miss out on a Clancy, or Brown book.

I love R.A. Salvatore, and his Drizzt character, I've read them over and over. I think why I love Forgotten Realms, & Dragon Lance, is because they never seem to end, even if they have different main characters. The wheel of time series is killing me, the releases are so far apart that it kills the momentum of the story.

I average three books a week, and never go anywhere without a book handy.

ghosst_K&H said:
I am a voracious reader, and read everything. I love Matt Reilly and James Rollins books, but never miss out on a Clancy, or Brown book.

I love R.A. Salvatore, and his Drizzt character, I've read them over and over. I think why I love Forgotten Realms, & Dragon Lance, is because they never seem to end, even if they have different main characters. The wheel of time series is killing me, the releases are so far apart that it kills the momentum of the story.

Dragonlance is still going on? I used to run those modules in my game. I have a sweat shirt with one of the characters air brushed on it. *L*

I never go anywhere without at least one book either.

Sorry for coming in to this so late, but I tend to stay away for a while.

I love reading many different genres as well. This will sound strange, since I'm a man, but I love Sherrilyn Kenyon's Darkhunters books. My best friend, who is a woman, introduced me to them. I just love a good story. I don't care if it is considered "romance". She's an incredible writer.

My best friend also just introduced me to Christine Feehan's Carpathian novels. I'm on the first one (Dark Prince) right now.

When I was younger, I was into Sci-Fi a lot. A few of you mentioned Heinlein. I also liked Carl Sagan, Isaac Azimov, Ray Bradbury, Phillip Jose Farmer... I could go on and on. Now, I'm more into fantasy. Actually, the first novel I read was The Hobbit, so I guess I always was into fantasy. Horror fascinates me too.

ghosst_K&H said:

Never read any dragonlance books, but did you by chance look at Salvatore's Star Wars books I think he put out two. Nice location got from Metallica right??

I just found my old copy of Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary , reading it again.
Ohhhh a vision of moral hypocrisy ..........

I'm enjoying the book discussion on here. Thank you to those who have been joining in!

Back