I love when...

This is where I admit to being a softy.

There is only one story I have ever given a one bomb too(and I'll get to that) for the most part I don;t one bomb even if a story is hideous and this is why.

I think as I hover over that one, What if this is the best this person can do? What if they have no writing talent whatsoever, but made and effort and are proud of themselves for this?

Why should I crush them with a bomb or maybe even a harsh comment? I am not a powerless loser who needs to feel better about themselves by blasting a sincere effort.

Now of course maybe the person just does not give a shit, but who knows?

So I decide to just let it go. Someone else can do it.

As for the one bomb I did give? The story was so friggin ridiculous, it was as if beavis and butthead had written it and when I saw the score I saw it was somehow over a 4.

I had a feeling either these were "joke votes" or they were inflating it themselves. But the fact it was over a 4 made me feel okay with hitting the one button.

I will also admit to, when seeing a score on a story is really low, feeling bad and giving them a pity 5:eek:
 
I will also admit to, when seeing a score on a story is really low, feeling bad and giving them a pity 5:eek:

Correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding of how these sweeps work since I, too, was unaware this happened...

If you give a pity 5, and the sweeps happen and that story has mostly 1s and 2s, wouldn't that 5 disappear? Or does it only work to erase 1s that are most likely trolls since no self-respecting (if that's possible) troll would give a 5? o_O
 
Correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding of how these sweeps work since I, too, was unaware this happened...

If you give a pity 5, and the sweeps happen and that story has mostly 1s and 2s, wouldn't that 5 disappear? Or does it only work to erase 1s that are most likely trolls since no self-respecting (if that's possible) troll would give a 5? o_O

Good question.

By theory it should because the 5 wouldn't fit the voting pattern. But I think 5's only vanish if a lot of them come from the same ISP address or come very quickly.

One thing I never understood in the contest sweeps is how do they determine if a one is legit or not? I mean somewhere at some point there can be such a thing as someone saying "this thing really sucks" and giving it a one they truly feel it deserves.
 
I always figured they did a statistical trim: calculate mean and standard deviation and eliminate votes that are more than 2 standard deviations away. Not sure if they do that or something like it but it would be easy to code.
 
Back
Top