Movies!

FurryFury

Addict of Sensation
I love watching them. I also love watching TV programs particularly in DVD boxed sets. So this is a thread for people who also love that to talk about what they've watched lately and what they thought about it.

I just watched Marilyn Hotchkiss Ballroom Dancing and Charm School this afternoon. I t was done by the same people who did The Fulll Monty which I enjoyed a great deal.

I was worried about how many well known people are in the movie. That is often a BAD sign.

It was quirky and okay. I'm glad I got it free though. If I'd have paid for it, the where is the rest of it, feeling would have chafed more.

Has anyone else seen it?

Fury :rose:

I finally got around to watching Mission Impossible 3 tonight. What can I say? It's not as good as the first tv series IMO but for free, it was alright.

I watched "Walk the Line" a few days ago. It was excellent. Reese Witherspoon and Juaquin Phoenix were both very convincing in their roles. I was impressed by thier singing. The singing was good, and it takes a lot of guts to sing in the role of two people the likes of Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash. Even if you are not a country music fan (I am not) you will enjoy the movie. It's a great story about two interesting people who were well matched and deeply in love.

Last edited:
The last movie I watched was "Bon Cop Bad Cop." It's a bilingual movie made in Canada. A Quebec cop and an Ontario cop have to come together on a case and its pretty damn funny and a good action movie. Rick Mercer even has a cameo in it. If you live somewhere where you can find it, its worth checking out.

I watched Little Miss Sunshine a few days ago and thought it was good. Last movie I saw at the movies was The Departed and I really liked it.

Dani

danimouse said:
I watched Little Miss Sunshine a few days ago and thought it was good. Last movie I saw at the movies was The Departed and I really liked it.

Dani

I saw Little Miss Sunshine with Sir last time i was with him. he has this habbit of predicting everything before it happens. it can get really annoying if your watchign a movie for the first time with him.

callinectes said:
I watched "Walk the Line" a few days ago. It was excellent. Reese Witherspoon and Juaquin Phoenix were both very convincing in their roles. I was impressed by thier singing. The singing was good, and it takes a lot of guts to sing in the role of two people the likes of Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash. Even if you are not a country music fan (I am not) you will enjoy the movie. It's a great story about two interesting people who were well matched and deeply in love.

I enjoyed that one too! My favorite part of the DVD though was the real Johnny Cash's Hurt video.

LordHawk said:
The last movie I watched was "Bon Cop Bad Cop." It's a bilingual movie made in Canada. A Quebec cop and an Ontario cop have to come together on a case and its pretty damn funny and a good action movie. Rick Mercer even has a cameo in it. If you live somewhere where you can find it, its worth checking out.

I'll keep an eye out for it. That sounds good!

myinnerslut said:
I saw Little Miss Sunshine with Sir last time i was with him. he has this habbit of predicting everything before it happens. it can get really annoying if your watchign a movie for the first time with him.

Yeah that does sound irritating!

My rule tends to be shhhh during the movie. Pause the thing to talk.

danimouse said:

Dani

I will pick that up when I see it at the library. I'm curious about it.

I'm not sure what The Departed is about, it sounds scary?

The last two movies I saw at the theater were The Pursuit of Happyness and Stranger Than Fiction which the kids and I both enjoyed.

Little Miss Sunshine just won the Golden Globe's version of Best Picture and is also nominated for an Academy Award in that category. It's a terrific ensemble piece and Alan Arkin truly deserves his nomination as best supporting actor.

Most recently I saw The Freedom Writers and highly recommend it. This tells the story of a young Los Angeles area teacher who finds a unique way to bond with and inspire her students. They are predominantly poor students from the Long Beach housing projects and at first their classroom imitates the ethnic separation that characterizes the city. Slowly their teacher helps them come together and become a small community without any boundaries between themselves. In the process, they learn to appreciate literature, develop the ability to write well, and learn about the greater world in ways that they'd never been granted before.

Monday I rewatched Starship Troopers again, does that count?? The money just isn't there to buy new movies or even previous viewed ones.

FurryFury said:

The last two movies I saw at the theater were The Pursuit of Happyness and Stranger Than Fiction which the kids and I both enjoyed.

The Departed isn't a scary movie, it's a Mob/cop drama. It has Leo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen, Alec Baldwin and several others I can't think of right now.

Dani

FurryFury said:
I enjoyed that one too! My favorite part of the DVD though was the real Johnny Cash's Hurt video.

This makes me cry every time I hear it, especially if I see the video too.
You are practically watching him on his death bed.

Most recent films.. nacho libre was entertaining enough. I've got a film called brick to watch too but not gotten around to watching it yet, anyone seen it?

FurryFury said:

I liked the Pursuit of Happyness as well , great W. Smith and great Gabriele Muccino ( the director ) :rose:

midwestyankee said:
Little Miss Sunshine just won the Golden Globe's version of Best Picture and is also nominated for an Academy Award in that category. It's a terrific ensemble piece and Alan Arkin truly deserves his nomination as best supporting actor.

Most recently I saw The Freedom Writers and highly recommend it. This tells the story of a young Los Angeles area teacher who finds a unique way to bond with and inspire her students. They are predominantly poor students from the Long Beach housing projects and at first their classroom imitates the ethnic separation that characterizes the city. Slowly their teacher helps them come together and become a small community without any boundaries between themselves. In the process, they learn to appreciate literature, develop the ability to write well, and learn about the greater world in ways that they'd never been granted before.

I'm glad to hear both were good! I particularly want to see the second movie!

leeroy jenkins said:
Monday I rewatched Starship Troopers again, does that count?? The money just isn't there to buy new movies or even previous viewed ones.

Yes, that counts. I was surprised how little the film was like the book. The dudes were hunky though.

danimouse said:
The Departed isn't a scary movie, it's a Mob/cop drama. It has Leo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen, Alec Baldwin and several others I can't think of right now.

Dani

Ooh! Yeah! I remember a trailer I saw of it now. I so want to see that!

naxalite0906 said:
This makes me cry every time I hear it, especially if I see the video too.
You are practically watching him on his death bed.

Most recent films.. nacho libre was entertaining enough. I've got a film called brick to watch too but not gotten around to watching it yet, anyone seen it?

Well it wasn't quite on his death bed but quite poignant especially considering his loss of June, his life in general and his age. That video and his vocals on it are art to me.

Nacho Libre is not on my list. The kids don't want to watch it either. Was it silly funny? It looked like it would be.

babiesmiles said:
I liked the Pursuit of Happyness as well , great W. Smith and great Gabriele Muccino ( the director ) :rose:

It made me want to research the person on whom it was based.

Tonight I watched The Notorious Bettie Page[\]. I'd heard a lot about it. To be honest I was not thrilled that they didn't really tell me much about her at all. I want to research her now too.

Of course the irony that the whole indecency thing is a witch hunt again didn't escape me, that was interesting, history repeating itself that way.

I liked Bettie's take on nudity and if God approved of what she was doing or not, at least until she became a public bible reading type.

FurryFury said:

Ok.. I say the puppyslut of happiness...

I spend too much time on lit

while Master was here, He took me on a 'date' *grins* dinner and a movie, and the movie we went to see was 'we are Marshall' omg..awesome movie/true story about a football team whose plane goes down on their return home from an away game. 75 people are killed as a result of the crash, nearly the whole football team (only 3 of them were not on the plane), fans, staff, supporters..and it is the story of a small community in the 70's rebuilding that love of the game so soon after the tragedy...it's awesome and i HIGHLY recommend seeing it! i cried pretty much through the whole thing.....so have some tissues handy *smiles*

we also rented alot of movies...clerks 2 is AWESOME
Saw 3 is AWESOME
Date movie is so stupid it's funny
Silent Hill..odd but a good flick
saw 1 and 2 are also awesome!
four brothers is a GREAT movie as well
just like heaven is one of my favorites......
i LOVE movies..i'm sure i will think of more so i'll return later....

It wasnt exactly silly funny, more like a feel good comedy. I wouldnt say it was the funniest thing jack black has done, but it definately made me laugh in parts and I enjoyed it.

Clerks 2 on the other hand had me in stiches. I was very dubious about it, but I loved every minute of it.

I watched leon again the other day too, now that is an AWESOME movie. One of the only films that has ever made me cry.

MasterPhoenix said:
Ok.. I say the puppyslut of happiness...

I spend too much time on lit

*s*

I see. I've never tried that one.

MasterPhoenix said:

I was turned off of going to this movie for two reasons. One it's about football, blech. For another it makes some nice looking men look like shit IMO. I'm glad to know it's good though. I might pick it up at the library now.

lil_slave_rose said:
while Master was here, He took me on a 'date' *grins* dinner and a movie, and the movie we went to see was 'we are Marshall' omg..awesome movie/true story about a football team whose plane goes down on their return home from an away game. 75 people are killed as a result of the crash, nearly the whole football team (only 3 of them were not on the plane), fans, staff, supporters..and it is the story of a small community in the 70's rebuilding that love of the game so soon after the tragedy...it's awesome and i HIGHLY recommend seeing it! i cried pretty much through the whole thing.....so have some tissues handy *smiles*

we also rented a lot of movies...clerks 2 is AWESOME
Saw 3 is AWESOME
Date movie is so stupid it's funny
Silent Hill..odd but a good flick
saw 1 and 2 are also awesome!
four brothers is a GREAT movie as well
just like heaven is one of my favorites......
i LOVE movies..i'm sure i will think of more so i'll return later....

My daughter and I liked Clerks 2 and Clerks but my husband and son pretty much hated them.

I've not seen any Saw movies. I hear they are scary. If one of my three closest loved ones wanted to see them I would. The same goes for Silent Hill.

Four Brothers was just okay for me. I hate it when the kill the ONE guy in the movie I care about.

I love movies too!

naxalite0906 said:
It wasn't exactly silly funny, more like a feel good comedy. I wouldn't say it was the funniest thing jack black has done, but it definitely made me laugh in parts and I enjoyed it.

Clerks 2 on the other hand had me in stiches. I was very dubious about it, but I loved every minute of it.

I watched leon again the other day too, now that is an AWESOME movie. One of the only films that has ever made me cry.

I like feel good movies, particularly when I feel bad. I got a bunch of DVD's at the library today because I do feel like shit. We'll see if I actually get to watch any of them though.

What is Leon about?

Silent Hill is a good movie, but the ending is a bit weird. Now I sure would like to discuss this with someone that has actually watched the movie so anyone want to PM me about it??

Like I said earlier my money is going for others things. No one has mentioned V for Vandetta. Saw is a good movie, alot of brutallity from my point of view though.

One movie a friend said was good was Hard Candy, the one about the girl that lures a pedophile to her?? She said its a great mind fuck type movie.

FurryFury said:
I'll keep an eye out for it. That sounds good!

It helps if you get some of the injokes about the issues between Quebec and English Canada.

FurryFury said:
I like feel good movies, particularly when I feel bad. I got a bunch of DVD's at the library today because I do feel like shit. We'll see if I actually get to watch any of them though.

What is Leon about?

Leon is about a hitman who develops a relationship with a very young girl. It sounds taboo but it isn't. Its directed by luc besson (who did fifth element) and has gary oldman and jean reno in it. It is probably one of my favourite movies.

I have loads of feel good movies. American Beauty always used to be one but its been a while since ive watched it. Amelie is one of the most beautiful movies I have seen.
Then I have the guilty pleasure feel good movies too like sister act which always make me smile :)

Back