Classical Music

The player by whom others are measured; positively heart-rending.

Indeed. MS is cruel for anybody, but for a cellist?

Based on what you say you already enjoy, I'm extrapolating that you might like these. They're all beautiful, accessible and non-pretentious, and I've listed the full titles in case that's helpful :)

For a hit of (accompanied) cello, please do try "The Swan" from Saint-Saens' "Carnival of the Animals": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b44-5M4e9nI

I'm not sure if theremin counts as classical, but Clara Rockmore's version of "The Swan" is also worth hearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSzTPGlNa5U

I agree with you that I too am not sure if theremin counts as classical (the purist in me says maybe it doesn't?) -- but "The Swan" isn't theremin. "Carnival of the Animals" was composed in 1886. Theremin was patented in 1928. Saint-Saens is simply a composer of the Romantic era who had nothing to do with it. I do feel there's a good reason you made the association, though -- theremin was used to record music for some extraterrestrial concert thingymabob in 2001. Among the pieces recorded on it were:
1. "The Swan"
2. Beethoven's 9th
3. Vivaldi's "Spring"
4. Rachmaninoff's "Vocalise
...and some others :)

I think you misunderstood me there - I was linking to Clara Rockmore's version of "The Swan" in which she performs the cello part on theremin. My "not sure if this counts as classical" was in reference to my own link, not yours.

There are two things I absolutely cannot listen to. I say 'things' because I cannot in good conscience call either 'music'. Those two are Rap and Opera.

I can listen to nearly everything else including Polka and Gospel (if I don't listen to the words). But when it comes to Rap and Opera, I'd just as soon jam red hot pokers in both ears.

If I'm ever elected President, my first Executive Order would be to ban both entirely.

There are two things I absolutely cannot listen to. I say 'things' because I cannot in good conscience call either 'music'. Those two are Rap and Opera.

I have no problem calling Rap music. Opera is theater--and as far as I'm concerned it's as bad as theater gets. But opera has produced some of the most beautiful, powerful music I've heard.

I was totally taken by surprise some years ago when I turned on the radio and picked up the Met's broadcast of John Adams' "Doctor Atomic."

It was about Robert and Kitty Oppenheimer and our development and use of the first atomic bomb.

I will never forget it. I laid on the floor and cried.

I have no problem calling Rap music. Opera is theater--and as far as I'm concerned it's as bad as theater gets. But opera has produced some of the most beautiful, powerful music I've heard.

It took me a long time to realise that just because a genre of music doesn't work for me, doesn't mean it's bad. Not everything in the universe is meant to appeal to me personally.

It took me a long time to realise that just because a genre of music doesn't work for me, doesn't mean it's bad. Not everything in the universe is meant to appeal to me personally.

I was a jazz snob for a long time when I was much, much younger. Literally anything that wasn't jazz wasn't music. Even classical, which was "imprisoned" as I thought of it in a rigid shell of formality (it was too long before I figured out how much jazz and classical cross-pollinate and how many great jazz musicians had classical educations). I'm so thankful I grew out of that.

Some kinds of music are heavily racialized in pop culture, which complicates their reception. Sometimes people think rap "isn't music" because they just don't have an ear for it, sometimes there are other things at play. There's kind of a similar dynamic in the opposite direction with POC who refuse to listen to country on principle because of its heavily-white image. I get feeling certain ways about the politics of the business or the messages conveyed in certain forms of music... but OTOH sometimes you've just got to let music be music. Choosing otherwise only impoverishes the spirit.

Last edited:
I was a jazz snob for a long time when I was much, much younger. Literally anything that wasn't jazz wasn't music. Even classical, which was "imprisoned" as I thought of it in a rigid shell of formality (it was too long before I figured out how much jazz and classical cross-pollinate and how many great jazz musicians had classical educations). I'm so thankful I grew out of that.

Ragtime, Jazz, Blues, Big Band, Soul, Rock & Roll, Hard Rock and a few other variations are all tied together at their cores. And many artists in all of those fields have Classical backgrounds; Rick Wakeman and Pete Townsend to name just two.

To me, Opera is the sound you hear when somebody steps on a cat's tail.

I was surrounded by classical as a kid with very little exposure to anything else; I didn't really discover rock and post-mid-Beatles pop until my late teens and was then "where have you BEEN all my life?" As a result I don't listen to a lot of classical these days, but it's heavily ingrained in my musical sensibilities, and I find that I really appreciate classically-trained musicians in other genres.

Give me a heavy metal band who knows how to use a violin, and I'm in heaven :)

Some kinds of music are heavily racialized in pop culture, which complicates their reception. Sometimes people think rap "isn't music" because they just don't have an ear for it, sometimes there are other things at play.

Uh huh. Me listening to Black American rap is like trying to read Tolstoy in the original Russian, or Jane Austen without knowing what "entailment" means. Not impossible, but it would take more work than I've put in.

There's kind of a similar dynamic in the opposite direction with POC who refuse to listen to country on principle because of its heavily-white image.

Yep, though I was interested to see how many folk made an exception for Johnny Cash there. He had a knack for relating to people.

Give me a heavy metal band who knows how to use a violin, and I'm in heaven :)

I've heard a few and it's pretty cool. Orchestral Rock like Dream Theater and Kamelot is interesting too. There's a spot in Whitesnake's 'Still of the Night' that I think is either a Cello or Bass that catches my ear every time.

And then there is Jazz Violin like Jean Luc Ponty and Noel Pointer.

I can listen to nearly everything else including Polka and Gospel (if I don't listen to the words). But when it comes to Rap and Opera, I'd just as soon jam red hot pokers in both ears.

If I'm ever elected President, my first Executive Order would be to ban both entirely.

I quite agree about Rap crap. But there are one or two tunes (arias) in some Operas
that are quite beautiful; and relatively short.

I've heard a few and it's pretty cool. Orchestral Rock like Dream Theater and Kamelot is interesting too. There's a spot in Whitesnake's 'Still of the Night' that I think is either a Cello or Bass that catches my ear every time.

And then there is Jazz Violin like Jean Luc Ponty and Noel Pointer.

Aren't you forgetting Stephane Grappelli (e quintette du Hot Club de France) with the divine Django ? (try 'Minor Swing').

Grappelli worked with Pink Floyd too on a version of 'Wish You Were Here'.

I can't remember them all.

Try different ones, enjoy the ones you like. Don't bother with the ones you don't, doesn't matter what others think.

Back