The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Trish.

It's amazing stuff. Up close you'd swear it was a satellite photo of the surface of Mars. I didn't know how much I'd really need so I still have 2+ sheets of the stuff! Expensive? Man! So next fall I'll be making a bunch of burl veneered jewelry boxes. They should go for c. $200/ea.

I want one of those, too!

It's amazing stuff. Up close you'd swear it was a satellite photo of the surface of Mars. I didn't know how much I'd really need so I still have 2+ sheets of the stuff! Expensive? Man! So next fall I'll be making a bunch of burl veneered jewelry boxes. They should go for c. $200/ea.

Make a nice occasional table as well.

Make a nice occasional table as well.

It does. The rest of the guys in my veneering class did just that. They cut the veneer into sunburst patterns and made round table tops out of them. However, I don't have any use or place for a small round table. So I made the doors for a tool box instead. I really needed a tool box!

It does. The rest of the guys in my veneering class did just that. They cut the veneer into sunburst patterns and made round table tops out of them. However, I don't have any use or place for a small round table. So I made the doors for a tool box instead. I really needed a tool box!

Went to a clinic put on by Bob Yapp. He talked about when he went to Germany to study woodworking, he built an upright tool chest by hand. No power tools. Took him two years with hand cut dovetails and finger joints. No sandpaper used, all finishing done with scrapers. When he was done, they hosted a dinner for him, inviting his parents over. At the end of the dinner, Bob heard that loud crash and splintering wood. Turned around and his instructer was destroying his labor of love. The instructor then turned to him, his father holding him back from killing the old man, and was told that he was not not a craftsman, that was not craftsmanship. Now he was ready to learn it. Spend the next two years working with power tools. Built his second tool box in three weeks.

I still would have killed the MF.

Went to a clinic put on by Bob Yapp. He talked about when he went to Germany to study woodworking, he built an upright tool chest by hand. No power tools. Took him two years with hand cut dovetails and finger joints. No sandpaper used, all finishing done with scrapers. When he was done, they hosted a dinner for him, inviting his parents over. At the end of the dinner, Bob heard that loud crash and splintering wood. Turned around and his instructer was destroying his labor of love. The instructor then turned to him, his father holding him back from killing the old man, and was told that he was not not a craftsman, that was not craftsmanship. Now he was ready to learn it. Spend the next two years working with power tools. Built his second tool box in three weeks.

I still would have killed the MF.

I've heard stories about assholes like that. It seems to come down from the old Guild system of the Middle Ages. There really isn't any reason to go to Europe to learn any of the crafts. So many Americans have already done so and are now teaching here that you can learn just as much in a lot less time. Not to mention not being humiliated in the process!

I've heard stories about assholes like that. It seems to come down from the old Guild system of the Middle Ages. There really isn't any reason to go to Europe to learn any of the crafts. So many Americans have already done so and are now teaching here that you can learn just as much in a lot less time. Not to mention not being humiliated in the process!

Unless you are into that humiliation thing....:D

I am spoiled. I have both the hand tools and the power tools to do most anything I am capable of doing. BTW, not sure if I told you or not, I just picked up a new mortiser...:D

I am spoiled. I have both the hand tools and the power tools to do most anything I am capable of doing. BTW, not sure if I told you or not, I just picked up a new mortiser...:D

Isn't that sweet? :kiss:I love both hand tools and power tools;)

Bench or horizontal? I have a bench mortiser but am probably going to sell it. I sprang for a Festool Domino. Yeah, they're expensive but if you have just that one tool you don't need the mortiser, the tenon cutter, the biscuit joiner . . . And it's a hand power tool! Unless you have an aesthetic complaint against floating tenons, I think it's the bomb.

That went beyond humiliation to cruelty and senseless, wanton destruction. The man's lucky to be alive. My family would have roasted him over a spit and served him with gravy. Asshole.

:kiss::kiss::kiss: Love your work Bear...very nice

Hey Molly...hugs....it's freezing here

Here, too. Brrrr....

And...

Good night.

Sweet dreams, Molly. And remind Lumpy about the meals at the conference. Besides, Sea World's only a few minutes away. Princess will be entranced. And don't forget their world class zoo. ;)

That went beyond humiliation to cruelty and senseless, wanton destruction. The man's lucky to be alive. My family would have roasted him over a spit and served him with gravy. Asshole.

Here, too. Brrrr....

And...

Good night.

Night Molly

Bench or horizontal? I have a bench mortiser but am probably going to sell it. I sprang for a Festool Domino. Yeah, they're expensive but if you have just that one tool you don't need the mortiser, the tenon cutter, the biscuit joiner . . . And it's a hand power tool! Unless you have an aesthetic complaint against floating tenons, I think it's the bomb.

Benchtop. I like that Domino joiner, but also like something I can clamp the wood to. Don't think I can do as good of a job free-hand.

Here, too. Brrrr....

And...

Good night.

Good night Molly. :rose:

My second cosmo is gone. Should I start another?:devil:

Or you can join me in my favorite health food, red wine and dark chocolate. Of all the marvels of modern medicine, the discovery that those two foods, previously labeled decadent luxuries, are actually good for you and help fend off the perils of advancing age is the greatest. At least it is to me.

Or you can join me in my favorite health food, red wine and dark chocolate. Of all the marvels of modern medicine, the discovery that those two foods, previously labeled decadent luxuries, are actually good for you and help fend off the perils of advancing age is the greatest. At least it is to me.

You got me on the pay no mind list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back