Free Association Thread 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes reality is so bizarre, people would trash you if you tried to pass it off as fiction.

Fiction has to be way more plausible than reality. Plot lines also have to actually come to a conclusion instead of meandering off. And they want all the damn characters to be likeable! :rolleyes:

Fiction has to be way more plausible than reality. Plot lines also have to actually come to a conclusion instead of meandering off. And they want all the damn characters to be likeable! :rolleyes:

People should be careful what they wish for.

I remember when people thought it was a cool idea to learn more about Darth Vader. Then The Phantom Menace happened.

People should be careful what they wish for.

I remember when people thought it was a cool idea to learn more about Darth Vader. Then The Phantom Menace happened.

What is this Phantom Menace of which you speak? Last I heard there were only three movies. *putsfingersinears* Good night.

What is this Phantom Menace of which you speak? Last I heard there were only three movies. *putsfingersinears* Good night.

hahaha, sorry! Just a nightmare I had. Let's talk about something more pleasant.

Like chocolate: dark, white, or milk? I've only recently had really good white chocolate, and oooooo, it's like nothing else.

Last edited:
hahaha, sorry! Just a nightmare I had. Let's talk about something more pleasant.

Like chocolate: dark, white, or milk? I've only recently had really good white chocolate, and oooooo, it's like nothing else.

You know you've reached a major turning point in your life when you are offered the choice between sex or good chocolate and you take a moment or two to make a decision. ;)

You know you've reached a major turning point in your life when you are offered the choice between sex or good chocolate and you take a moment or two to make a decision. ;)

Ha! Does a choice have to be made? Because melting the two together sounds ideal. :heart::kiss::heart:

That choice might be more difficult if it was a Really Good Old (12 year-old?) Single Malt scotch, of course.
Or maybe a truly great Vintage Port.

"A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke"
(Kipling, I believe)

Autonomous nano-drones are the future, we can only hope they find humans entertaining enough to keep us around.

Make them cheap enough and use them as targets for a catapult or spud gun?
:)

Wait, make the humans cheap enough? I'm not sure I like that thought. I'll assume you mean the nano drones. Eh, we're gonna be the genetically modified organisms pretty soon. Theoretical Physicist Michio Kaku suggests that we're only ten years away from invisibility.

Wait, make the humans cheap enough? I'm not sure I like that thought. I'll assume you mean the nano drones. Eh, we're gonna be the genetically modified organisms pretty soon. Theoretical Physicist Michio Kaku suggests that we're only ten years away from invisibility.

Yes, and Ray Kurzweil believes we're a quarter century away from being immortal.

I would be pretty down with that. :)

Yes, and Ray Kurzweil believes we're a quarter century away from being immortal.

I would be pretty down with that. :)

*shudders* Not I.

"And I don't want a neverending life
I just want to be alive while I'm here"
The Strumbellas - Spirits

Joseph Campbell — 'People say that what we're all seeking is a meaning for life. ... I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life ... innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive.”.

Last edited:
*shudders* Not I.

"And I don't want a neverending life
I just want to be alive while I'm here"
The Strumbellas - Spirits

Joseph Campbell — 'People say that what we're all seeking is a meaning for life. ... I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life ... innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive.”.

Having the option of an extended life doesn't require anyone to take it. For me, it is when I am learning and evolving that I feel most alive--and the universe is so full of things I want to learn, I suspect I could live 1,000 years and still be hungry.

Certainly, if I get the chance, I would love to find out. :) :heart:

Having the option of an extended life doesn't require anyone to take it. For me, it is when I am learning and evolving that I feel most alive--and the universe is so full of things I want to learn, I suspect I could live 1,000 years and still be hungry.

Certainly, if I get the chance, I would love to find out. :) :heart:

I've already lived for 60-odd years longer than the experts expected me to live - so I'm not holding my breath. Come to think of it, that wouldn't be very smart would it? :D

Last edited:
I've already lived for 60-odd years longer than the experts expected me to live - so I'm not holding my breath. Come to think of it, that would be very smart would it? :D

Speaking of death and a lack of breath: when I was seven I went to a summer camp where they divided kids into groups based on whether they could swim or not. I had never tried to swim before, but it looked simple enough--and I thought "If I just jump in, instincts will take over and I'll swim like a fish." So I got into the "advanced swimmers" line, and when my turn came, I jumped in...

...and plummeted like a rock, straight to the bottom of the lake. I looked up at the surface of the water, realized that I didn't have the breath to reach it, and wondered what would happen next.

Fortunately, the camp lifeguards were ready and waiting. :)

I've already lived for 60-odd years longer than the experts expected me to live - so I'm not holding my breath. Come to think of it, that would be very smart would it? :D

As George Burns once said: "My doctor told me if I'd give up cigars, whiskey, and chasing girls a third my age, I'd live to be 100. I asked him if I gave up all that, why bother?" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back