Old West Rp (Closed to KINKYCanada)

AlwaysFaithful

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jan 2, 2016
Posts
1,763
Cassandra Shaw stepped out onto her porch, dressed very unusually for a lady in these times, pants and a snug fitting shirt. Her long blonde hair was tied back in a ponytail. Ever since her parents had died, close to three years now, she had run the family ranch. They raised cattle, chickens and horses. They raised their own crops. She only had a few good hands who stayed on under a woman leader. So that meant everyday was busy and tiring. Cassandras icy blue eyes looked around her property. She could hear someone on the stables saddling up to go out and check on the cattle herd and she knew she had to get a move on as she was suppose to go with him. "Come on" The mongrel that had been laying on the porch leaped up to join her. He was shepherd and mastiff and probably a recent amount of wolf. Together they headed for the barn. "Morning ma'am. I was gonna saddle your horse for ya. But ah Kane took exception to that." Cass laughed "oh I imagine he did" grabbing her saddle and bridle she hauled it to the very end stall.

A massive white stallion with equally icy blue eyes greeted her. The stallion was taller than she was, mostly feral and mean as hell. To anyone by Cass. She murmured to the stallion as she got him ready. Once ready she walked from the stall, not holding onto the reins and the big horse followed her nonetheless. "He's a big puppy with you" the man,Rick,said. Cass smiled as she gracefully got on. "It was a lot of work getting to this point." Together with the big dog running ahead they headed out.

She knew something was wrong before they rounded the last bend In the forest. Her dog was stiff and snarling as he loped around the bend. Hand resting on the butt of her rifle she urged her big horse into a canter as they approached the field. She hissed low and heard Rick swear. There had to be at least six cattle slaughtered. Unsheathing her rifle she dismounted and approached the dead animals. "No animal did this." She said grimly. Rick, who stood beside her nodded. "No ma'am. This was human." Cass sighed. "We need to burn the bodies and find the rest of the herd. I want them brought up to a pasture closer to the house." He nodded. Together they set about cleaning up another's mess. Cass was sick to her stomach by the end but wouldn't let it show. She had to be tough and that meant not having a quesy stomach. This was the first slaughter but they'd had other problems. Stolen cattle, All the horses released from the barn, crops damaged. She knew someone was out to get her farm and she couldn't figure out who.

By the time they had rounded up the herd and moved them it was evening. Heading back home she cared for her horse and called a meeting to tell the rest of the hands what happened. After that she headed inside to clean up and find her dinner. She ran a hand through her gold hair as she sat, knowing her problem was getting worse but she just didn't know how to stop someone who she never saw and never heard.
 
Mason Kole was sitting at a table with four other men, playing poker, he had been it appeared having a run of good luck and was enjoying the bounty that came with it. The men would normally accuse a player of cheating when winning like Mason was. But they seemed to be accepting it, soon he saw the dealer swap decks. Then when Mason kept winning they seemed perplexed they didn't say anything at first though.

Mason was an ex-confederate soldier. He had come from Kentucky to Tennessee, he was a man of few words, a man of action, a hired gun or muscle or when you needed someone found Mason was a good choice. His past was shady and tainted, he had done and seen things that most had the good fortune to never have. He was remarkably good at guerilla warfare, and he along with a band of marauders caused much havoc in the union army. But his army days were behind him, he worked as a spell for the Pinkerton detective agency and then went to freelance work. He liked the freedom to pick and choose his clients, and to not be under a magnifying glass when it came to how he did things.

"That's seven hands in a row Kole!" One of the men said unable to hold his anger any longer.

"That's bout right ya! What you saying friend!" Mason said in his slow southern drawl.

The man looked like he was tearing at the seems to say what was on his mind. "Nuthin! Just that you seem to be winning more then an honest man should!" Mason looked at all the men.

"Funny I don't see it that way, do you all think this? Think I should be losen? That I'm a no good cheat? Well come on tell me! Don't be shy, tell me what you all think. As far I remember the other night it was you Grace! It was you that won big. Did I accuse you of being dirty? Or last week when you Bill won the night, quite handly too! Did I go off and call you a cheat?" The men all looked at each other. "It looks like to me is you only seem to get uppity when it's me that wins! Maybe you four are working together, maybe you four are the cheats, maybe just maybe I'm on to you and swapped out your loaded deck. You know the one you switch too when one of you arn't winning. I've been watching you for a month now, see how you work, take the strangers money then split it up after you clean him out. If he wins to much you covertly swap the deck for a marked one. The mark thinks his luck ran low. I saw you do it to me that first night, then a few nights ago, I saw you swap the deck today, and the look on all your faces when the little marks weren't on the face cards." The four men all acted at once. Mason had the man to his left down in one punch, He had his pistols pulled before the men could act none were willing to chance Mason shooting them.

"The owner of the saloon hired me, said there was shady business here and he wanted it stopped. So here I am stopping it. The sheriff is on his way, now you can all make things easier by forking over the money you cheated from those other men! If you don't have it, no worries you'll being doing paid labor, only the pay will go to them. And should I hear your names doing this again. I will shoot you but cold!" The men all hung their heads as the sheriff walked in with the deputy, hauled the men away.

"Thanks Mason. Those creeps were going to drive all my good clientele away!" The Saloon barman said.

"Here's what I won off them minus my pay and I'd be obliged if you put me up for a few weeks while I figure out my next move!"

"For you no problem. Keep the room your in. Free of charge, thought the whisky and the women you'll have to pay for!" The barman said.

"Can't say fairer then that my friend!" said Mason turning and looking out over the busy street.





A week later after a meeting with his boss Rick went to talk to her alone. "Ma'am, I've been thinking we need help! Help me and the boys can't give. Not that we don't want to but we just arn't trained for this. We're cow punchers not fighters. Well I heard of a guy right in town! Well from what I hear he is a hired gun of sorts. A problem solver, He's not free but he's fair and from what's said always sees a job through, real honest that way! Anyway he's staying at the Crossed Rails saloon. Jack the Barman says he's only here another week or so! If you wanted to talk to him!" Rick said and then left Cass to her thoughts.

KC

Mason Kole
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/145849/3933468-django_1966_5.jpg
 
Last edited:
The week went by slowly, another missing cow, another horse injured. Sad as it was she spent the week looking hard at her own men. But she was confident it wasn't any of them. Now she stood on the porch with Rick, listening as he spoke. She couldn't disagree. Her father may have taught her everything he woulda taught a son, had he gotten the chance to have one. But this was way out of her depth. Listening she nodded. "Alright. Thank you".

She spent some time thinking before she decided that she needed the mans help. Going out to the barn she slid the bridle on her stallion but didn't bother with a saddle. Going back out with him she went to the house and got her pistol, holstering it she leaped gracefully to the stallions back. "Ghost. With me" the big amber eyes mitt leaped up running beside the horse as she urged the big stallion into a lope.

Town was a easy ride, despite the shady men she felt totally safe. She had a reputation for being a excellent shot, riding a mean as stallion and keeping the company of a meaner dog with wolf eyes. She stopped in front of the bar and left her horse outside but her dog stayed at her side as she went inside. Walking over to Jack she said "I'm looking for a Mr. Kole?" Luckily rick had known the mans last name but not his first. "I'm told he's stayin here" She said as her blue eyes skimmed the room. Probably not the wisest idea coming in the evening when the saloon was getting rather full. But the men just eyed her then the gun and the dog and left her alone.
 
"Welcome to the crossed rails! What can I get for ya!" Jack said to the pretty albeit gruff looking young woman who walked in with what Jack could only think was one of the hounds of hell!

"I'm looking for a Mr. Kole? I'm told he's stayin here" Jack eyed the lady with suspicion.

"Ma'am you don't look like his type! Now no offense to that you are pretty as a summer sunset but you certain you want to talk to Mason Kole?" When she didn't correct him he nodded. "Alright. Mason theirs a woman that'll like to chat to ya!" Jack called out. A few people looked up from their parties and a few of the whores gave her a look. Then from a corner table, sitting alone Mason called back! "Send her away I ain't looking to be no ranch hand!"

"Sorry Ma'am he ain't interested!" Jack said with a genuinely empathetic smile. "Best you avoid his kind! A sweet lass like you, shouldn't be bothering with a man like Mason. Don't get me wrong I consider him a friend I truly do but he's... Well his kind can be hard to be around, he's rough, I mean real rough, ex confederate, ex private detective, and all around bad person to piss off! I've seen women try their hand at getting him to work for them, work with his hands, it's never good." Jack seemed to consider Cass for a minute. "Unless that's what you are looking for in the first place? Looking for a bad man!" Jack nodded as if he finally got it! "Wait here miss." He walked over to the dark stranger in the corner. After a minute or two he returned. "If you are serious he's the brooding one sitting alone in the corner!" Jack said and pointed her the way!

Mason said nothing when she approached this would be her interview, if he liked what he heard he would help, if not he would tell her to go fuck the closest lamp post!

KC
 
Cass narrowed her eyes at the man as she listened to the bartenders description of him. "Sounds like just the man I need." She said. She stood quietly until the man directed her to Mason Kole. She walked over hand resting casually on her gun, dog walking lazily at her side, but his wild eye scanned the entire room. Standing in front the table she spoke. "Mr. Kole. I have a problem that I think you can help with." She explained everything from the cattle thieves and the deaths, the injured horses, the loose horses and the damaged crops. She watched him wondering if he would be interested in taking the job. "I can offer you a room and meals." She said quietly. The bunk house was full but she had room in the house. "This has just started in the last year at first it was random enough I didn't put it all together but it's happening far to frequently now. Someone is out to get me or my animals or my ranch. And I need it stopped." She rested on hand on her dogs head as he sat at her side though he face the opposite direction, watching her back as she talked to Kole."
 
Mason looked impassively up at the woman. She was pretty he could see that even in the lower light, she was tough and determined. He could tell she hated to seek help, a woman who did things on her own most times.

"Well you came all this way so I'll look into it!" He said downing the rest of his whisky. But let me make one thing clear. While I'm on the job I do it my way, I don't take orders, I don't help with the chores and I never, ever kill for revenge! So I hope you ain't looking for that! I catch'em I bring'em in and that is that. They die only if they are fool enough to resist or fire upon me! It's 15 dollars a week! Plus room and board! Deal!" He said flatly. He had been on to many jobs where someone wanted another person dead for one reason or another. Or they made up a story to have a man around to help with odd jobs for a week or two!

Mason was had to think she was in a real spot of bother with all this. She just seemed to proud to be here otherwise. He was confidant it was on the up and up! "Your an only child ain't cha or perhaps an older sister, no brothers or husband I take it! Mason Kole!" He held out his hand to her. He seemed to like cut of her, not something he does often!

KC
 
She listens to him, nodding. "I don't need help with the chores, telling you what to do would defeat the pourpose of hiring you. And I don't care if the person responsible lives or dies as long as he leaves me and mine alone." She explained. But she frowned at the price. It would be a little tricky to come up with, though she didn't argue. "I had a younger brother. He died a few years before my parents. And no, no husband. Men don't want a woman who can out shoot them and sometimes out work them." She said flatly. She took his hand when he introduced himself. "Cassandra Shaw." She gave him directions to her ranch "Cone whenever you like. All my men will know you are coming and won't get in your way." She assured. Glancing at the clock on the wall she sighed, as it was she'd be riding home in mostly darkness. "I should get going. It's going to be a dark ride for me " unlike most women she didn't seem frightened at the idea of riding alone in the darkness back to her home.
 
Mason decided to get to sleep if he was going to be starting a new job in the morning, he slept well and was up just before dawn. He packed and went to Jack.

"Hold my room for three days, if this is a bust I will want it back for the rest of my stay!" Mason said and put down three nights rent on the room.

Then he went and got his Horse Josey from the stable he was keeping him. He rode the hour to the ranch, It was in a pretty area and looked well cared for. There were a lot of tracks, some shoed some not, he figured all the horses at the ranch were shoed so the others were from outsiders.

He got off Josey and looked around the area, there was a small camp set up over a hill from the pasture and it looked like three men had camped at it. After another hour looking around and making a lot of mental notes he headed to the ranch. He was greeted by Rick. "Howdy, you must be Mr Kole!" he said a little unsure if Mason was who he thought he must be!

"Yup that's right just call me Mason though. I want to get started right away, so if you could show me to my room and I'll drop my shit off and get to it! Is Cass here?" Mason said in a cool yet friendly tone.

"Sure is she'll be on the back 40 doing a cattle move. We've been moving them around trying to keep the bandits from seeing a pattern. And we have been forced to bring them in close at night now! Can't say how glad you are here!"

Mason nodded. "We'll get to the bottom of this. I will be checking all land claims in the area tomorrow and any other reports from other ranchers about trouble. Now my room?" Mason said again. He was shown but with Cass not there Mason refused to enter the house. "I'll wait for her to let me in. Only polite, my gear should be ok on the porch, now take me to her!"

The pair rode to the back fields where Cass was with her big dog and thirty head of cattle. She was good. Knew how to handle her horse to keep the cattle from spreading. He was impressed more and more with this mystery woman.

KC
 
Last edited:
Cassandra rode home and while she tended to her Horne she explained her conversation with Mason to Rick. Then she headed inside for the night. Next morning she was up bright and early. She had breakfast and rode out to move the cattle. Her dog wasn't a herder, he sat under the trees watching his mistress as she moved cattle. Her big stallion moved with the grace of a dancer as he kept the cattle in line. Getting the cows where they needed to go. Her dog alerted her to visitors with a low snarl.

Even as she spun her horse, her hand rested on her rifle. But she recognized Mason next to rick. Trotting over with a smile she greeted the men. "See ya found the place alright. Did Rick show you to your room?" She asked. She'd given rick permission to show Mason to the guest room in her house if he arrived before she got back. "Rick the cattle are all settled. I'll give Mason a tour of the rest of the ranch if you can make sure the other hands are going what they should." She asked. Rick acted as her right hand, helping her with everything and anything that the ranch needed. Cass eyed Mason, in the daylight she could really notice now handsome he was , in a rugged sort of way.
 
Mason let Cass lead them back to the house. He was mind full of the surroundings, beautiful but with the hills, bandits could move unnoticed! Back at the house he picked up his gear which was a few changes of clothes and not much else.

Cass showed him to the room he would be staying at and he was happy to have it, comfortable and quiet, he was happy to not have to listen to the ranch hands snoring or what ever other noise they might make. "This'll be fine Ma'am. Now I if you could take me around the perimeter of your land, I'd like to see just what the bandits see when they approach the area!" He asked wanting to get a full days work in, seeing she was paying him.

He pulled a second pistol from a bag and then headed back out. "How many hands you got working for you? I'll be checking them out too! I've seen to many inside jobs to not check it all out!" He said climbing back onto Josey. Mason was pretty impressed with what Cass was about to do! He had seen smaller ranches sell off with larger crews, ranching was hard work, that could be one reason Mason was glad for the war, it gave him an excuse to get away from cow punching, and he was never going back. But he still loved the mystique that came with ranching, and working the land. So he kept near it by doing what he was good at!

KC
 
She gave him a quick tour on the way back to the house. Showing him his room she went downstairs to wait for him. Her big canine laid at her feet. Most viewed dogs as outside only. But he was Cass's closest companion and protector she wouldn't leave him outside. Ev n if she felt like she could trust mason that didn't mean she truly could. When Mason came back she nodded "Sure. It'll take a couple hours to ride the perimeter" Walking outside with him she hopped on her stallion. "I've got four, including Rick. Lost a lot of them a couple years back when my folks died. Men don't like taking orders from a woman. But I wasn't about to sell this ranch." Leading the way she trotted along the perimeter. "I've got all the land up and over that peak" She explained as they moved. Then big dog loped ahead of them. "I wanted to thank you for helping me out. I know it probably won't be the easiest job but it makes a world of difference for me." She mused, looking over at him as they rode side by side.

It ended up taking close to four hours to ride the very edge of her property. But finally they made it back. "Well that's it." She led the way into the barn. "Your horse has a stall and a paddock whichever you prefer" She said before she led her stallion into his stall at the edge of the barn. She untacked and groomed him, feeding him before leaving the stall. Cass headed inside to clean up and make something for dinner. It was nothing fancy but the deer stew would be filling for her and Mason.
 
The trip around the property was long but nice. Mason saw no less then twenty tracks and two camp sites that were cleaned up. The bandits were thinking they were being clever moving about, not letting Cass and her men get a fix on them. No fault to Rick and the others for not knowing what to look for.

"The men that left when your folks died! Did any leave on bad terms?" He asked as they sat and ate. The process for elimination was to start with the men she knew best. "You owe them money or anything of that nature. As for taking orders from a woman. Well I can't say other then my mother no woman has been in a spot to give me orders. No women in the army, and no women at the Pinkerton's! And now I don't take orders from no man, or woman. But ya we men can be bull headed that way! Now that you brought it up though. Were you hard on them trying to prove somethin? Now don't get mad but people who feel they arn't bein respected tend to go one of two ways. They kill them with kindness and try and be their best friend, or they are hard asses and try and will the respect out of them! I find neither way works. I earn respect through actions! From what I've seen of you, your the same. But were you always! Perhaps you learned to speak through action only after a disastrous fail at being a hard ass!" Mason said, he wasn't being rude he was just telling it the way he saw it.

"I will also need some of your mens time one on one! Won't take long just need to root out any suspects if they are there. Best they don't know why they're talkin to me!" He said digging in to the delicious stew.

KC
 
Last edited:
She sat down to eat, "They left on nice enough terms. I paid what they were owed. Some were miffed that I wasn't going to sell and that I expected them to take orders from me." She shrugged. Pausing to take a spoonful of stew she swallowed and continued. "No I wasn't a hard ass. I didn't let things slide but I didn't change a lot either. Basically I just asked them to keep doing what they always had. But because it was me and not my father they wouldn't have it" she mused. "Four quit. I didn't fight them or argue with their decision and none left spitting mad or anything. I wouldn't think it would be them doing this. But one never knows." She continued to eat. She ate a second bowl before starting to clean up. "You can do as you please around the farm. I've told all my men that you are to be given access anywhere." She said, she wanted to make it as easy as she could for Mason. "Feel free to get settled in. I have to go out and clean the stalls and feed the rest of the horses." She slid on her boots and with her big canine at her heels she headed out to the barn.
 
Mason ate the rest of the meal and went out to the bunk house that the ranch hands stayed in, he walked into them siting around a table, they had finished their supper and one of them was in the process of cleaning up. Rick looked up. "Mason. Boys this here is Mason Kole, Cass has hired him to get to the bottom of our problems!"

The men all looked up and said their hello's. "Hey." He returned the hello.

"This is Butch, William we all just call him Will, and that over by the sink cleaning. is Tom." Rick said introducing Mason to the hands that were still in Cass's employ.

"Don't see why she bothered with you! If they just let Butch and I out to be night guards we'd have them." Will said. He was a younger man but talked with an air that he had been around and knew stuff, he was strong Mason could tell but he doubted that Will had been much further then maybe the next state.

"Then she'd need to hire hands to cover you as you two slept, so we'd be no further ahead." Rick said Mason smiled.

"Will could I have a word?" Mason decided to start with him. He seemed eager to be seen as a tough guy. Will seemed a little taken back when Mason asked to talk, but consented. They went out to the yard Cass could be seen walking towards the big barn. Mason wanted to see how Will looked at her when he might think no one was looking. Impassive and uninterested, Will nether cared for or hated her. He spoke to him for only a few minutes before concluding Will was not a person of interest. Mason after called it a night and went in. He said good night to Cass and went to sleep!

KC
 
Cass took her time enjoying being it in the barn. She cared for the horses before heading inside. She moved quietly so as to not wake Mason. Moving to her rom she changed and curled up under her blankets to sleep. She slept restlessly as usual, she was up before dawn, dressed and she went out to care for the horses while it was still black as night. She rubbed the nose of a pretty chestnut mare. "Come spring you'll have a pretty baby at your side. Whether he takes after you or Kane he's going to be stunning." She murmured before leading th pregnant mare out to her paddock. Returning she finished the chores before leading Hurricane from his stall. Dawn broke in color over the sky as she led her stallion outside. With just a bridle, no saddle, she vaulted onto his back and trotting from the yard. Pushing the big horse into a easy lope they went further and further into the hills and trees. She had her pistol so she wasn't worried. Her dog ran behind her and her stallion hated people, she figured she was safe. As they ran she listened to the sounds of th forest coming alive. Somewhere in the dawn a big cat called.

The sun was fully up by the time Cass returned to the yard. Rick stood in front of the barn frowning. "You ought to not ride alone right now Ma'am." He'd always had a soft spot for Cass. She just slid off the horse. "I ride alone all the time Rick. I ain't about to chwnge that now. Besides those bandits really wanted me, until last night it was just me and Ghost in that house. They coulda killed me in my sleep. Right now I don't think I'm their first target. It seems they want give me troubles. Not kill me." With that she headed into the barn to tend to Kane, leaving Rick out front where he just sighed and walked off.
 
By the time Cass had returned to the barn Josey and Mason were gone. He had gone to town to check on land holdings around Cass's ranch. To check if there were any owners of interest or sales of interest.

Though a solider and a hired gun, Mason was a very good detective. He was well read and had a great memory, so when the clerk came to him and eyed him with suspicion due to his attire he just smiled and asked. His rough look made people think he was stupid and never gave him a second thought, this brought many criminals down.

After an hour he closed the books that were public record. "Find what you were looking for sir?" The clerk asked.

"Nope! How long before sales of land are made public?" Mason asked.

"Three weeks to a months after the deeds are signed!"

"Thanks." And mason left, then he rode to the cattle sales office, He talked to the man in charge and nothing was to made there. This he knew probably wouldn't bring about anything. But no stone unturned.

It was just past noon when he got back to the ranch. He called Butch over. Butch was another strong lad who was also simple on the verge of stupid, Rick he thought must use him for just the muscle labor. Butch as it turned out had only been with Cass's family a year before the parents died, he liked it there and didn't have it seemed a violent bone in his body. Cass was not around for Mason to see how Butch viewed her. But that was alright he was sure this man was in no way involved with the attacks. He decided to go in, change and then eat a large lunch and pack some food for the night. He would camp out on one of the higher hills that overlooked her land. There was he noticed a good clump of trees that he could use as cover. it would take him about two hours to walk there. He wanted to be as hidden as he could and that meant no horse.

He told Cass of his plans as he dug into her fabulous lunch then asked her to pack him a travel meal for the night and a some water and coffee.

KC
 
Cass wasn't surprised to see their new guest gone. She figured he be back and forth often. She put Kane away and began the boatload of chores. She cared for the injured horse, all the chickens, the one hog. Hen she tended to the garden. When Mason returned she figured he'd be looking for lunch. Normally she didn't eat lunch but figuring he'd want a meal she headed in to make something quick but filling. She listened to his plan and nodded. "Alright. I'll pack you something." She finished eating and set about packing him a couple of meals and the water he asked for. It took her longer to find the coffee as she didn't often drink it. But she packed that too for him.

"Anything else you need feel free to find it and take it. I have to ride out and fix some fencing. But treat this as your home. If you need something you find it and use it. I won't be upset." She assured with a smile as she cleaned up the dishes before pulling her boots back on. It was gonna be another long day. She went outside and saddled up her horse to head out and get that fencing fixed.
 
Mason thanked her and went out rifle in hand and saddle bags over his shoulder. He walked the few miles to the far edge of the ranch, he climbed the hill and settled in. There was a small pit near the largest tree, perfect cover for him. He was but twenty steps from any view of the whole property. As the night came in, the stars were coming out he ate the food and drank the cold coffee. "Well better then most hot coffee's!" He said to himself. He could just make out a fire light at the ranch. All was calm.

It was many more hours of waiting till he heard something. Horses! Four of them he guessed. He crawled up and peered through his spy glass. Yup four, no shoes. Heavily armed and riding for bare. Taking out his Winchester rifle and took aim at the lead rider. "Well you boys have all of three seconds to change course or I change how you feel about me!" He thought. He knew by the way they were riding they were not trying to sneak up and hurt the cattle which were on the other side of the ranch if he remembered right. These men were aiming to hurt Cass' and her men. When they didn't deviate he shot. The lead rider was blown off his horse! The other three kept riding. He managed to take out two more but the last was now at to distant an angle for him. He hoped they heard the shots and would be roused and prepared, He took off running down the hill, Damn it! he swore to himself, he really thought to much on stealth and didn't give a confrontation much of a thought. He knew he wouldn't make it before the rider. He turned to get one of the dead men's horses. This he was sure would help him in the long run.

He managed to get one that calmed a few hundred yards away. He got on and kicked her hard into a full gallop. He fired into the air a couple times to try and get the ranch up and moving. He prayed they would be alright.

KC
 
Getting home she finished all the chores she needed and went inside. Making herself some dinner she got cleaned up and settled down for the night. Cass curled up on her couch to read one of her favorite books while she read by firelight. She was dressed rather inappropriately, in cut off pants that ended mid thigh and a men's short sleeved shirt. She ended up falling asleep there, curled on the couch, book in her lap, big ass mongrel wolf laying on the floor.

The gunshots succeeded in waking Cass. Launching up she scrambled for her weapon. Ghost beat her to the door, jamming her bare feet into her boots, she went outside, blonde hair loose around her shoulders. Her men met her outside. "Gotta be Masons gunshots." Rick said. "Be ready, if it is Mason, he'll have a damn good reason for making noise." The way Cass figured it, Mason was a quiet guy. If he made noise it was for a good reason. Rifle in hand, wolf on one side, men on the other, the pretty blonde waited for whatever was coming. She heard hoofbeats and raised her weapon, heard her men do the same. A man on a horse rounded the corner. "Stop right there." Cass ordered sharply. "What are you doing on my property?"
 
Mason was about five hundred yards behind the last rider.

The dirty pock marked man stopped his horse. He saw the group in front of him, he knew the gunman was coming from the rear, he looked at pretty young lady, he had never seen her before all he knew was she had to go!

"What are you doing on my property?" She asked. More politely then rick thought he deserved.

"A few buddies can't go for a night ride with out getting shot at! When the bullets started flying I headed for cover, I went and headed here! What are you playin at lady!" The bandit said trying to convince them he was innocent of all wrong doing.

Mason came around the large barn and was off his horse in an instant. He approached the bandit. His Colt revolver aimed at the mans head. "Move you die!" Mason said and pulled him off his horse roughly.

"Cass you alright?" Mason asked knowing she had heard the shots and did a good job getting ready.

"Man claims you just started shootin at him and the other three!" Tom said. Rick looked at him.

"He never said how many there were with him!" Mason looked at Tom and pulled his second pistol!

"Tom I think you Cass and I need to have a talk! Rick you and Butch check on the other men I shot they are all still alive I hit them all in the upper body but the distance was to great to kill them I think. Will get some irons from my saddle bags by Josey! Chain this one to the fence and watch him till I come back! Will if you'll be so kind!" Mason said pointing his revolver at Tom's head.

KC
 
Cass nods "I'm alright." She assures. But when Tom spoke she heard his slip up. Carefully she turned to watch him. Her hard eyes narrowed and she agreed with Mason. "Let's talk inside Tom. Your gun stays outside."She ordered. As the other men went to do what Mason told. She made Tom walk first into the house. He left his pistol on the porch. She stepped in behind him with Ghost tucked at her side. In the living room she fixated on Tom with her icy blue eyes. "How did you know how many men were out there" she asked quietly, her voice accusing. She leaned a hip on the edge of the couch, wondering how it possibly could've been Tom who was causing all these problems for her. She didn't understand, he had worked beside her for hours cleaning up the mess of slaughtered cows or fixing the fence or rounding up cattle. And to think he'd caused it. It made her sick to her stomach.
 
Tom walked into the house and sat at the table where ordered. Mason and Cass keeping a bit of distance encase he decided to try something.

Cass asked how he knew. Tom at first tried to be a tough guy! "Call for the sheriff! I ain't talkin to you two!"

"Tom we won't be calling for the sheriff, but if we don't like your answers we will be calling the undertaker!" Mason said putting one pistol on the large wooden counter, leaning against it holding the other pistol. "Now answer the question!"

Tom was now looking a little more scared. He knew full well that they could kill him and bury him in the back country and no one would ever find him.

"They paid me Cass! Paid me a lot of money to really do nothing other then let them know what nights were best to strike, nothing more then that! I swear."

Mason looked at Cass. She didn't deserve this, she had enough on her plate with out having to worry about a ranch hand stabbing her in the back.

"Your call Cass!" Mason said to her.

KC
 
Cass listened quietly and when he admitted everything she felt a huge wave of emotions; anger, betrayal, sadness. But she steeled herself against the last emotion. She wouldn't show weakness. "Do whatever you want Mason." She said, she didn't care what happened to Tom anymore. Stalking from the room and stood in the living room. Pressing her fingers to her eyes as she fought the few tears that wanted to escape. She had trusted Tom, he'd been such a big help when her parents died and when the other ranch hands had questioned her ability to run the ranch he had stood up for her. Now she didn't know what was real and what was false. She took a slow breath as she pushed down the emotions that wanted to tumble out of her. Now wasn't the time for that.
 
"Well Tom we are going to go get all your hard earned cash. You lucky man just made a contribution to the repurchasing of cattle here. You will also probably hang for this. The judge in these here parts don't look to kindly on cattle thieves!"

"Cattle thieves! I didn't steal or hurt a single cow!" Tom said. Mason walked up to him and slapped him across the face, so hard that Tom fell of the chair.

"You helped the scum that did! That puts you in league with them! That's as good as if you slit their throats your self! You little maggot! I otta beat your ass! Cass has been good to you! She's been better then most are to their hands! Hell I've only known her for two god damn days and I can tell she's worth her weight in gold for how good she is to you boys!" Mason picked him up like a rag doll and gave him a fierce back hand! "Who paid you! The men out there were not the boss's! No purpose for them to do this! No there's a bigger fish in this pond I aim to find him and see him hanged, and you will help so help you god!"

Tom spit out two teeth! "I don't know who he is, she is, or they are, I met a man at the crossed rails and he heard I been workin here! He offered me money to let him know what paddock the cattle were going to be in! Thant's it!" He said through bloody slurps.

"That's unfortunate for you! The Sheriff would have looked kinder had you helped. and Well now he won't be able to put a good word in with Judge Loddner." Mason said hitting one more time for good measure.

After he chained him with the others on a post.

"Cass you get some sleep I'll watch all five of these men all night and me and Rick will take them in to town! We have more work ahead but this is a good start!" Mason said putting a hand on her arm.

KC
 
Cass stood in the other room listening to the men. She didn't flinch when she heard the sounds of Mason hitting Tom. Normally she didn't condone unnecessary violence on her property but at this moment she couldn't bring herself to care. When Mason came in, touching her arm gently she felt a small tingle race up her spine. She shook off the feeling as she listened to Mason. Smiling she shook her head, "I don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight. Too much on my mind. I mind as well give you a hand." She said softly as she tilted her head to look up at him."Thank you. For everything you've done in the last two days " it was hard to believe he'd only been here two days. It felt like Cass had known him so much longer than that.
 
Back
Top