Will Trump run for re-election?

Kirkrapine

Literotica Guru
He'll be 74 in 2020. What makes anyone think he'll even run? Who wants to be president at 78? That's a whole lot of work for a senior citizen. Besides, he does not even appear to be enjoying the job now. And I actually believe he is mentally ill, and getting worse.

OTOH, his massive ego might not allow him to say no.

Correct, his massive ego would not allow for him to say no. He is one of the most arrogant human beings to walk the Earth. If it weren't for checks and balances, he would be much more devastating.

But will he even be nominated? I'm sure there are many potential Pub candidates hoping to oust him, and the damage he has done the party is undeniable.

With any luck, he'll shuffle off his mortal coils prior to a 2020 run. Heart attack, anyone?

But will he even be nominated? I'm sure there are many potential Pub candidates hoping to oust him, and the damage he has done the party is undeniable.

If the Republicans retain control, they almost certainly will nominate him if he wants to run again and is still around (neither one being a certainty). They haven't had any trouble hiding behind him so far and quietly using him as camouflage to do what they want to do.

With any luck, he'll shuffle off his mortal coils prior to a 2020 run. Heart attack, anyone?

Stroke, I'm thinking. Imagine him appearing at the convention talking like Gabby Giffords.* (Might actually be an improvement.)

*Who never had a stroke, but suffered brain damage when she was shot. She led the Pledge of Allegiance at the 2016 Dem convention, and it was obviously difficult for her.

Last edited:

I don't know, those evil types tend to linger for a long time.

If the Republicans retain control, they almost certainly will nominate him if he wants to run again and is still around (neither one being a certainty). They haven't had any trouble hiding behind him so far and quietly using him as camouflage to do what they want to do.

Bingo, especially at that last sentence.

*Who never had a stroke, but suffered brain damage when she was shot. She led the Pledge of Allegiance at the 2016 Dem convention, and it was obviously difficult for her.

A Democratic congresswoman shot by a rightist? But it's only the liberals who are violent, dontcha know? And Sarah Palin putting out campaign literature with a target bull's eye on Gifford's district? That had just been for fun. Right?

Of Course! He's already running. Yeah, sure, maybe it's only as a revenue stream, but he's running. Besides, as long as he's president he can't be prosecuted. He might be president the rest of his life.

A Democratic congresswoman shot by a rightist? But it's only the liberals who are violent, dontcha know? And Sarah Palin putting out campaign literature with a target bull's eye on Gifford's district? That had just been for fun. Right?

As I recall the shooter was pretty much apolitical. He singled out GG because he happened to live in her district.

Sarah Palin's map had rifle crosshairs. The DNC put out one with bullseyes on districts held by GOP congress critters.

Of Course! He's already running. Yeah, sure, maybe it's only as a revenue stream . . .

No, it's because what he enjoys best is appearing at rallies with his base-people cheering him and wearing MAGA hats.

No other president ever did that sort of thing before the midterms.

If he is alive and has not been run out of office, of course he will run. The GOP has been taken over by his Repugnicans.

Not only will he be renominated, I strongly doubt he will have more than token opposition.

The last president to be denied a party's nomination when he sought it was Arthur in 1884 (I guess LBJ was a special case). That's a pretty solid track record.

Not only will he be renominated, I strongly doubt he will have more than token opposition.

The last president to be denied a party's nomination when he sought it was Arthur in 1884 (I guess LBJ was a special case). That's a pretty solid track record.

But Ford faced a serious primary challenge in 1976 (from Reagan -- and you can read in The Invisible Bridge: The Fall of Nixon and the Rise of Reagan, by Rick Perlstein, how sordidly that played out on the convention floor), and Carter in 1980 (from Ted Kennedy); it's not a sure thing when the incumbent has a dubious track record, and none was ever more dubious than the Donald's.

Back