🏋🏼🏊🏽Get sweaty with Sexybritches 🚴🏻🏃

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my prime- I could do a full circuit of Insanity without dying and lift weights following the ICF (Icecream fitness) routine. And then, I had 2 kids in 2 years. So, yeah... my free time has disappeared. If I figure out how to balance housework, kiddos, my sanity, and working out- I'll let y'all know. Lol.

It’s so difficult to find balance. I’m there with you.

It focuses on strength training. There is an instructor at the front of the class. She guides the group through a series of exercises using light to moderate weights. It’s not really cardio but you are all moving together and there’s music, etc.

https://www.lesmills.com/us/workout...ypump/#/facType=modal&filterType=0&classes=bp

Thanks. I need to start weights, but I really don’t know where to start. A friend of mine is a personal trainer and after my dad died she promised me 5 free sessions.
I think I’m going to take her up on that.

Is there a plan that doesn’t require any of this but results in health and looking great? If so please sign me up for that.

Growing up, I was thin and wiry. Even as an adult I always had a tall, thin frame. I was always active, played lots of competitive tennis during my college years and played racquetball at the gym and worked out during my working years on the mainland.

But since being in “paradise” where the slow pace is even slower than it is in the south, I became more sedimentary. Suddenly, the metabolism that allowed me to eat anything and everything switched to the off position. My activity level decreased while my dietary intake increased. All of a sudden I woke up and was no longer 175 pounds and fit, I was all of a sudden 245 pounds and felt like I could try out for the Kool-aid character. My body was not handling the extra weight well. In fact my body was silently screaming for help.

As it turns out, my cholesterol levels were embarrassing and my A1C/blood sugar levels were at an alarming high number. This was my wakeup call. I am very good about recognizing issues and finding solutions. So, the first thing I did was make a spreadsheet that logged every single thing I put in my mouth, the calories, protein, fiber, potassium, salt and most importantly, carbs. I had no clue about any of this before. I paid no attention to the nutritional value labels on food.
It was a tedious task but it gave me a clear picture of where calories were coming from, how many and just how much sugar I was pouring into my system, how much everything we eat is loaded with sodium and fewer positive numbers on protein and fiber. So adjusting my diet, getting rid of sodas, chips, fried foods and all those mindless things we shove in our mouths when we are bored or just out of habit.

Long story short is, I got off the couch again, built up and logged several thousand miles a year walking and that 70 pounds of extra weight disappeared …not overnight but over time. I was running up the 32 stairs to my apartment again instead of looking for an oxygen station when I got to the top. I was more alert and if I sat, I sat on my stationary bike and mindlessly pedaled my ass off while watching TV rather than sitting on the couch eating a bag of chips. And, if I do sit on the couch, there are dumbbells to grab and just keep my arms active while I watch something.

I learned it’s grueling to find a good routine for both eating and exercise that doesn’t feel like the worst chore in the world. I learned that distance walking is a pain in the ass at first. But I also learned that routine actually becomes more “routine” if you have enough discipline to just keep at it, keep your head down and don’t put up false expectations.

I value the lesson that changing your eating habits shouldn’t be treated as diet mode, most people see diets as temporary with a single specific goal…. it should be a lifestyle change in what you eat and how much. If my body craves something salty or something sweet, I use it as a reward and something to look forward to rather than ban it completely. Over these years water has become my friend and it is my go to drink of choice. Ironic because it was something I never thought of drinking until this need to change became imminent.

There is no general blueprint for everyone to follow. I think each individual has to find what not only works for them but what will be something they can incorporate into their daily lifestyle. So walking has become a passion for me rather than a chore. Eating differently and knowing that I can eat out on occasion but now understand meals can be like 1750 calories and loaded with salt just means I might not finish the plate that now looks like it was served for two and it means I will adjust my intake so that I can splurge from time to time and not punish myself for sticking to the things that helped me make my change.

The good news is my weight has only fluctuated 3- 5 pounds from my desired goal weight over the last few years. It no longer feels I am doing something to punish my weight gain….it’s now just my routine. I take blood sugar readings, weigh and blood pressure each day and it has just become the thing I do before I start my day.

Again this may not be something that helps others, it isn't meant to. I think each person has to find their own way and works for them.

Last edited:
At my prime- I could do a full circuit of Insanity without dying and lift weights following the ICF (Icecream fitness) routine. And then, I had 2 kids in 2 years. So, yeah... my free time has disappeared. If I figure out how to balance housework, kiddos, my sanity, and working out- I'll let y'all know. Lol.
2 kids in 2 years? Where was I when all this was going on? :D

Can't stand gyms. They are noisy, distracting & most of the people aren't there to be healthy anyway so I'm developing my own. I'm ramping up my workouts for competition but I have an issue with a shoulder that's limiting what I can do.

2 kids in 2 years? Where was I when all this was going on? :D

Can't stand gyms. They are noisy, distracting & most of the people aren't there to be healthy anyway so I'm developing my own. I'm ramping up my workouts for competition but I have an issue with a shoulder that's limiting what I can do.

🤣
Where did you think I had disappeared to?

Steamed veggies, fish and chicken are solid choices for an easy meal . . .

Chicken enchiladas . . .

Thanks tnman and Luv these are great suggestions, I'm going to the store tomorrow!

It’s the journey, Tink. :kiss:

I value the lesson that changing your eating habits shouldn’t be treated as diet mode, most people see diets as temporary with a single specific goal…. it should be a lifestyle change in what you eat and how much.

Perfectly said Fara and Matt :)

Aaannnddd.....a little bump for a great thread.

Activity/heartrate monitors- do y'all use one? Which one(s)? Do you think it's accurate?
(I'll answer this later once my headache eases up.)

I use a Fitbit, and I heave a Lit Fitbit group I’m a part of.

I use a Fitbit, and I heave a Lit Fitbit group I’m a part of.

I use a Fitbit too but I don't participate in any Fitbit groups. Fitbit's are an affordable, fairly accurate step counting device with other useful features.

Aaannnddd.....a little bump for a great thread.

Activity/heartrate monitors- do y'all use one? Which one(s)? Do you think it's accurate?
(I'll answer this later once my headache eases up.)

Garmin VivoFit - love it so far, has great data on lots of aspects of healthy living, including a sleep tracker.

I'm not dieting, I'm trying to do a complete lifestyle change that doesn't involve eating until I'm stuffed. I've added in some walking, which at my weight still burns lots of calories. It's working well so far, finishing up my sixth month of being dedicated to the new plan.

Garmin VivoFit - love it so far, has great data on lots of aspects of healthy living, including a sleep tracker.

I'm not dieting, I'm trying to do a complete lifestyle change that doesn't involve eating until I'm stuffed. I've added in some walking, which at my weight still burns lots of calories. It's working well so far, finishing up my sixth month of being dedicated to the new plan.

Im proud of you...It truly is a journey as mentioned above...and a lifestyle...

Hope you are well and happy:rose:

This is a great thread...I will be reading to gain inspiration...

I too am on an overhaul...Body mind and spirit...

My biggest hurdle right now is energy...Mine is depleted and I am exhausted daily...But I walk daily and keep moving …but it is hard...I have a B12 deficiency and Anemia and a couple more contributing factors...

But I am really trying hard to get very healthy...:)

I currently have a Garmin Vivofit. Affordable, user friendly, but not the most accurate. I used to have a PolarT4 with cheststrap- it was amazing! It did two things only (heart rate and timer) but did them well. It kicked the bucket last year and the models are soooo damn pricey.

I too am on an overhaul...Body mind and spirit...

My biggest hurdle right now is energy...Mine is depleted and I am exhausted daily...But I walk daily and keep moving …but it is hard...I have a B12 deficiency and Anemia and a couple more contributing factors...

I don't know if this will help you or not, but it helped me a lot. In the afternoon I would crash big time, I just wanted to lie down and take a snooze (which is a problem because I go to work at 2pm). I started avoiding sugar and grains and eating higher fat foods in the afternoon and my tiredness has gone away.

Avocados, cottage cheese (4% fat), olives, MCT Oil, etc.--clean burning fat instead of carbs, sugar and grains and you don't get that blood sugar crash. And I seem to have lost weight doing it.

Just a thought.

I too, love this thread and I think it would be cool if everyone posted their current goals in order to maybe encourage ourselves to keep them.

I want to lose another 10 pounds and see what I would look like with an ab or two. :)

I’m in a CrossFit style workout without necessarily drinking the Koolaid...lol. Using the sandbag, jump rope, and rower in my garage, I can usually come up with something pretty good. Now if I can just do something about the heat and humidity.

I have an Apple Watch so I just use that to track steps, etc. but I’m not very vigilant about it. I like to see how many steps I’ve taken in a day. It keeps me conscious of what I’m doing. I also like the Lose-it app. It helps you track what you eat. I was looking to lower my blood pressure so that was helpful.

Hotwords, thank you for your food suggestions. What other meals have you found that are convenient and healthy? (This is a question for anyone). A go-to for me is broiled salmon with some salt, lemon and dill. It’s so easy to make and it’s quick.

I have an Apple Watch so I just use that to track steps, etc. but I’m not very vigilant about it. I like to see how many steps I’ve taken in a day. It keeps me conscious of what I’m doing. I also like the Lose-it app. It helps you track what you eat. I was looking to lower my blood pressure so that was helpful.

Hotwords, thank you for your food suggestions. What other meals have you found that are convenient and healthy? (This is a question for anyone). A go-to for me is broiled salmon with some salt, lemon and dill. It’s so easy to make and it’s quick.

Love the salmon, I use lemon juice and water for a light citrus taste, and fix alongside some shrimp... heaven!

I fire up my grill and grill up a bunch of chicken breasts and about half a dozen portabella mushroom (large ones) to keep on hand for salads, sandwiches, etc. Having them done all at once means I won’t run out of time on busier days. I usually season some with lemon pepper, some with a garlic herb blend and occasionally bbq.

I fire up my grill and grill up a bunch of chicken breasts and about half a dozen portabella mushroom (large ones) to keep on hand for salads, sandwiches, etc. Having them done all at once means I won’t run out of time on busier days. I usually season some with lemon pepper, some with a garlic herb blend and occasionally bbq.

Yes, this is delicious and I agree about the convenience of having it all ready and in the Deirdre. Planning ahead and taking the tile to make it easy on myself to eat well all week seems to be the hardest part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back