Question for Experienced Authors

holliday1960

Literotica Guru
Can any of you explain Lit's policy on stories previously posted to other free sites? Is there a procedure to follow to submit to Lit instead? Must it be removed from the original site first? Any advice is appreciated very much. Thanks, gentlemen. :rose::kiss:

PM Laurel.

I assume her policy works in reverse for copyrights you hold. But maybe I'm missing something.

PM Laurel.

I assume her policy works in reverse for copyrights you hold. But maybe I'm missing something.

Thank you, James. I hated to bother her with it. Just thought someone here would know. I appreciate it very much.:rose:

It doesn't matter as long as they are your stories and don't belong to someone else.

Can any of you explain Lit's policy on stories previously posted to other free sites? Is there a procedure to follow to submit to Lit instead? Must it be removed from the original site first? Any advice is appreciated very much. Thanks, gentlemen. :rose::kiss:

Not so experience myself, but I think the first question is whether the other free site has a restrictive license. If they don't, then I don't recall that Lit's terms would prevent you from publishing it here, but you would want to clear that with Laurel.

Not so experience myself, but I think the first question is whether the other free site has a restrictive license. If they don't, then I don't recall that Lit's terms would prevent you from publishing it here, but you would want to clear that with Laurel.

Thanks, NW and Zeb. I will have to check it further with the other sight and then PM Laurel I guess. You guys are all so great. THANK YOU, EVERYONE.:kiss::kiss::kiss:

The use permission you give Literotica to publish your story is called "nonexclusive" use permission. That means you can post it anywhere else you want, as well--and I do.

This is from the submissions FAQ accessible from the home page of Literotica:

"You are simply granting us a non-exclusive right to publish your story on Literotica.com and granting Literotica the right to enforce the copyright on your story should it be used without your permission by any other publication - online, print, or other media."

Literotica doesn't, though, enforce your copyright (and the next paragraph says they don't have to).

Last edited:

Even if they do, it's not likely to be Laurel enforcing that. The only time I'd expect problems is if the person posting it at Lit doesn't appear to be the same person who posted it elsewhere (and even then, only if somebody reported it).

The use permission you give Literotica to publish your story is called "nonexclusive" use permission. That means you can post it anywhere else you want, as well--and I do.

This is from the submissions FAQ accessible from the home page of Literotica:

"You are simply granting us a non-exclusive right to publish your story on Literotica.com and granting Literotica the right to enforce the copyright on your story should it be used without your permission by any other publication - online, print, or other media."

Literotica doesn't, though enforce you copyright (and the next paragraph says they don't have to).

Thank you, Sir. This is what I was looking for. Thank you. :rose:

If it's your story then you are allowed to post it here, unless somehow like mentioned above you gave the other site restricted control.

Plenty of writers post stories on multiple sites including here. What you could also check is to see if any of your stories are already here due to someone stealing from original site and then posting here under a different name.

If it's your story then you are allowed to post it here, unless somehow like mentioned above you gave the other site restricted control.

Plenty of writers post stories on multiple sites including here. What you could also check is to see if any of your stories are already here due to someone stealing from original site and then posting here under a different name.

Thank you, Rutger. Actually, I wasnt asking for myself. I'm trying to talk a friend into posting on Lit who has posted on another site previously. I've never posted anything except here on Lit and very little here.

So, I didnt know how it works. I am sure other new authors will find all the insight helpful as well. So, again, thanks everyone. Y'all are always my first choice to turn to when I am in doubt. It's nice to have so many helpful people to ask. :rose::heart:

I've been posting stuff to multiple sites for years and never had a problem. The only issue I've ever heard is if you try to sell a story on Amazon Kindle, if they discover your story exists free to read somewhere they knock your book down to free for Kindle. Lots of people remove their stuff from Literotica, et al., when they make the move to Amazon.

I've been posting stuff to multiple sites for years and never had a problem. The only issue I've ever heard is if you try to sell a story on Amazon Kindle, if they discover your story exists free to read somewhere they knock your book down to free for Kindle. Lots of people remove their stuff from Literotica, et al., when they make the move to Amazon.

Interesting. Does it have to be currently on a free site, or will it disqualify your story for pay access if you've submitted to a free site and then removed it? In other words, if they find your story on some archived site like the Wayback Machine, are you SOL?

Interesting. Does it have to be currently on a free site, or will it disqualify your story for pay access if you've submitted to a free site and then removed it? In other words, if they find your story on some archived site like the Wayback Machine, are you SOL?

There is no uniform response--even at Amazon. And Amazon isn't the only for-pay distribution site. And you want it that way. If you talk about it in detail or try to get the paying sites to pin down a uniform policy and enforce it, you aren't going to like the result.

Back