Soldier x Soldier - Rescued (Closed to TertiusHuman)

Kat reluctantly released his hand and let him buckle her in. When he offered his hand she took it with a soft smile. Looking out the window she chuckled faintly at his words. "It kind of does." She agreed. She looked out the window for a bit before looking around the plane. It was a fairly small group on the plane, but it was still far too many people for her liking. So she focused back on Thor, he always seemed to calm her a bit even if he didn't say anything, just his presence helped her.
 
He glanced around once more, certain that nobody focused on them and then looked at her as the airplane started with the take off run. "Well I must admit, this is much nicer than a Black Hawk. We can talk without having to shout at each other."

A few moments later they leveled off and he nodded towards the seat belt, "Want that off?"
 
Kat chuckled faintly and nodded, "It is much nicer," She agreed as she looked out the window briefly before focusing on her companion once more. "Yes Please," SHe was eager to get out of her seatbelt, she didn't like the restriction at all. Even though rationally she knew even if she wasn't restricted by the belt, it wasn't like she had far she could go, but still it helped with the claustrophobic feeling.
 
He used his free hand to unbuckle the belt and tuck it away from her, it helped that she was so thin. It once more struck him to what edge of insanity she had been pushed and yet she didn't have seemed to break. Not only was she a strong woman, she clearly needed support to come back to a normal semblance of life.

He wondered why she latched on to him though. He was not the friendliest face around and the first time she saw him clearly, he was still dressed for ops, which was not the best look around to cultivate a soothing image. But in retrospect, maybe it was what she needed at the time, he wondered if that feeling would continue if she have spent time with her family and that might jeopardize his mission...

Did he just think of her as a mission?

He realized that he had said nothing and that she was looking at him, he could also feel that he had been frowning, he eased up on the thoughts and gave her a smile, "Sorry, drifted off there for a moment."
 
She just shrugged at his apology. She wasn't looking at him because she expected him to talk. She was looking at him so she wouldn't have the look anywhere else. "How long is the flight?" She asked softly. She also wondered if word had gotten out of her Rescue. Would there be reporters and camera waiting at the airport. She desperately hoped not. Kat didn't want to have to deal with now now and likely never would.

She knew her story would spark interest. It likely already had, female solider missing in action. It would only become more interesting when they learned of her survival and rescue. Rolling her shoulders she tried to lean back in the seat and relax. Easier said than done though. Every sudden noise has her tensing and her pale eyes flickering around.
 
"It is a ten hour flight. I think I read something about on-board entertainment, hopefully no romantic movies this time round and we will most likely get a meal or two."

He could feel her tension through her grip, the sudden pressure when her eyes flickered open to cast about. He knew there wasn't much that he could do, he just sat with her. He hoped that she could get some sleep in, well sleep without the nightmares would be good, but she did need some rest. From the sunken eyes to the paleness around her lips, he knew she looked like a recovering drug addict, but when he think back about the photos they showed of her during briefing, she used to be quite fetching and he knew that with time and enough care, she should return to a semblance of that.

But he doubted if the look in her eyes would heal as fast as her body, he also wondered how long her mind will take to recover from the worst wounds that have been inflicted on her. He kept his fingers around her hand, giving her what comfort he could.
 
(Sorry for the late reply. My mom was in a roll over car accident about a week ago. No major injuries but there's been a lot to deal with))

Kat took a lot of comfort in having him there with her. She felt safe around him. She may dislike he presence of most people but she craved his. She chewed her lower lip and with her free hand she picked at scabs that were forming. Every time someone adjusted in their seat or go up to stretch, she tensed and her eyes flickered like a trapped wounded animal, expecting them to come after her. Rationally she knew she was safe but that didn't stop the instinctive reactions she had.

When the flight attendant came around Kat asked for a water. Reluctantly she released Thor's hand to take the water bottle. Then she set about trying to get the damn cap off. Gripping the water bottle was hard enough, but then trying to grip the cap and twist, it was frustrating for her and only getting worse the more she tried and the more she failed at it. Grinding her teeth she stared at the bottle as she tried to open it, still too stubborn to ask for help with something so simple.
 
He watched as Kat struggled with the cap of the water bottle, he knew he could open it for her without second thought, but it was also good for the soul to struggle a bit. It was basic reverse-enginering. The terrorists had taken away her freedoms, all of them. Now she had all of them back, but it was so many at once, that it must have been overwhelming for her. He finally reached out when he saw the struggle became too much for her. Placing his hand over her own, stilling her struggle.

"Hold the bottle with both hands."

He waited for her to do so, then gripped the cap, "Now twist it soldier, use those muscles we've been building."

He smiled slightly at her, encouraging her with the small amount of humor.
 
The struggle really was good for her mentally but eventually it became too much, she felt herself battling the urge to let a tear escape. Thor spoke and gave her some help. She did as he asked then when he gripped the cap she gripped the bottle and twisted. It took some work for her because her hands were tired from the struggle. But finally she got it open. Looking over at him she smiled. "Thank you." She hated that she couldn't do simple things like that. But she was grateful to have him to help her. Lifting the bottle she took a long drink of the water. She set it in the cup holder not bothering to ask for the cap. She didn't want t and wouldn't use it. She settled further into the plane seat as she tried to relax. "How long until we land?" She asked. Knowing they had a while yet bit wanting still to know.
 
He glanced at the rugged watch on his wrist, "I'd guess another three hours or so. You did manage to doze off a few times. It always helps."

He gave her arm a reassuring pat and twisted slightly in his seat so that he could face her. He reached out and placed the cap on the bottle, giving it one twist just to settle it on the mouth, but still easy for her to remove.

"Don't ever be afraid to ask Lt, I know it seems like simple things, but you have to adjust first."
 
She nods when he said to just ask when she needed help. "I know. And I know it shouldn't bother me, but it does. It bothers me that I can't do simple things for myself anymore. It bothers me that I'll never have a totally normal life again. That when we land, my brother will be waiting, with his wife, she'll want to hug me and I'll want that too I'll want to hug my brother, but it'll terrify me, to be touched, to be restricted in someone's grip." She shook her head. "They'll understand and neither will even make a move to touch me if I don't make the first move. But it will bother me that I won't feel safe enough to do that." She chewed her lower lip. It seemed that Thor was the only one she could accept physical touch from without her mind going crazy. She was grateful for that because she wanted to be touched she wanted to recover from her trauma, but her mind just wasn't quite ready yet.
 
He nodded his understanding and gave her a slight smile,

"It will take time for you to overcome that fear. I for one think that it will be easier for you to embrace your sister-in-law than it will be to embrace your brother. Because somewhere in the back of your mind, men is the enemy."

He rested his hand on her forearm.

"But whatever you do, do not push them away. I don't want to preach to you or tell you to do things that will make you uncomfortable, but in the long run it will work better for all of you, if you do not push them emotionally away."

He gave her a grin and moved his hand from her forearm to playfully tap her upper arm, "And by the way Lt, you will need a bit more muscle mass to push somebody away."

He stroked over a non existing beard and in his best Oriental accent, "Push ups, chin ups and ten mile runs I see in your future."
 
Katherine smiled with a nod. "I won't push them away. I love them too much for that." She murmured. She glanced over, chucking at his antics, wanting to laugh harder but still having difficulty being that happy. "I think I'm a long way away from 10 mile runs. But I'll get there, eventually." She smiled.

Talking with Thor made the plane ride easier. Eventually they landed, Katherine cling to Thor's hand as they deboarded the plane. As they wound through people she saw her brother standing next to his wife. "Hunter." She whispered. The two had been through hell together in the group home. She left Thor and moved as quickly as she could, instinct took over as she got to Hunter, throwing her arms around his neck and burrowing into him. The tall blonde haired man was startled but hugged her back. "There she is." He murmurs. "Welcome home Katie." Kat shuddered as her body processed the touch from a man. It wasn't as easy as it was with Thor but she knew in her heart she could trust her brother.

When she stepped back, she hugged Abigail while Hunter approached Thor. "You found my sister? Stayed with her?" He confirmed as he offered a hand to the other man. "Thank you. I owe you a debt I won't ever be able to repay."
 
Thor watched with a slight smile at Katherine left his side and embraced her brother. Blood always tells. He could see her discomfort, but also saw her power through it. She truly were an inspiration of the human will.

Her brother approached and Thor gave him a smile, "Well who found her is classified sir. He gave Hunter a conspiratory wink as he took the offered hand, "but yes I stayed with her and you owe me nothing. She needed help and I am just glad that I could help."

He looked passed Hunter and the two women, "If you'll excuse me sir."

He quickly intercepted the two men making a bee-line for Katherine, stepping in front of them wearing a menacing scowl, "Gentlemen, I would prefer that you give the Lieutenant her privacy."

"But I just have a few questions."

"She's been through enough sir. She is a hero and that is all you need to know. Any further actions to contact her will be met with extreme prejudice."

"You don't have the right, this is a free country."

Thor leaned in close, his voice dripping ice, "And she have suffered through hell to protect your freedom."

His finger jabbed into the reporter's chest, "And tell your friends outside that I place the Lieutenant's freedom to privacy beyond the freedom of speech. Now I suggest you leave."

Thor straightened and watched as the two media men made a tactical withdrawal, he then turned and moved back towards Kat and her family, "Let's get our luggage, I need strong coffee and a bed."
 
Hunter noticed the man's sudden attention shift. He pivoted, moving to the two women as Thor intercepted the two men. His hands rested on both women's backs. "Ladies, let get out of here." He murmured. When Thor joined them they swung through luggage area. Kat instinctively slid back to Thor's side, where she felt safest. From there Hunter led them out a back door to where his SUV is parked. "Katie. We got all you need set up at your house." He said as he started to drive. "You let my house?" She asked, startled. He nods "yeah, couldn't seem to get rid of it." The drive was easy to get to Kay's house. "You've got food and some new smaller clothes." He said as they moved through the city. All the city noises had Katherine spooked but she just gripped Thor's hand.
 
He held Katherine's hand as she stared outside, he could see how it all overwhelmed her senses and he made sure that she remembered that he was there for her. He had to admit that after the long deployment, it felt strange to come back to the hustle and bustle of the civilized world. He sighed as he watched the people moving about, like ants in a colony.

"I feel silly for asking, but is there a park and how busy is the neighborhood?"
 
Kat sat in the back of the SUV with Thor as Hunter drove. She kept a grip on Thor's hand as he spoke to Hunter. "Her house is justoutside city limits. She isn't really in a neighborhood but there's a couple of houses about a quarter mile away in either direction. There's a park a mile or so from the house," he said. It didn't take long and they were pulling up to a cute little cabin. "Oh, Katie. We've got one more surprise for you." Hunter said as he got out. Kat slid out as Abigail went up and opened the house door. A huge black blur bolted out. "Zero." Kat murmured. She dropped to her knees as the big solid black German shepherd whirled around her whining and licking at her. When the dog finally calmed Kat wrapped her arms around his neck, holding him for a minute. Then she stood. "Thor, this is Zero. I raised him from just a pup." She murmured in Czech, remembering his commands. The dog obediently sat to meet Thor. Hunter and Abigail gathered Kat and Thor's things, taking them inside for the pair.
 
Thor was glad to hear about the lack of people, it gave her the security and seclusion she needed. When Hunter mentioned a surprise, Thor stood ready to interfere with anything that could dash her spirits. But when a big, black German Shepard bounded up, he readily let her go.

He watched with a small smile as she embraced the dog and then ordered him to sit. Thor grinned and then knelt down on one knee, taking the offered paw.

"Good to meet you Zero."

He let the paw go and glanced at Kat, "Seems like I have received some help to get you back in shape." He grinned at her.
 
Kat smiled. "I suppose you did. He requires a great deal of exercise." She walked into the house, looking around as good memories flickered through her mind. "Well we will leave you two to settle in. Call if you need anything, Katie." He said as him and Abigail moved to leave. Neither wanted to leave Kat but they knew she needed time to rest and get use to being at home.

Once they were alone Kat wandered around. Sighing softly. "It feels good to be home." She murmured. Much of her things were still there. Clearly Hunter hadn't come to terms with her loss and hadn't been able to get rid of anything. "I'm glad you're here with me." She whispered as she walked back towards Thor.
 
Thor followed Kat and Zero into the house, his sharpshooter's eye taking the surroundings and the house in, half of him analyzing it all and the other half appreciating the surroundings and structure. Then he entered through the door and inspected the interior. Clearly it was the space of a female, he could see that, but what stabbed at his heart was the clear signs of abandonment. Oh everything was clean and tidy, but it was clear that it had not been used for a while.

He watched as she came back towards him and he gave her a slight smile, "I am glad to be here to be honest, it seems much nicer than the desert." He grinned slightly, "The company is much better as well."
 
She chuckled ever so faintly at his words, yes this was better than the desert, and better company. She wandered into her kitchen, not surprised to see it fully stocked. Hunter always thought of those things. She yawned as she moved around, seeming to not be able to calm herself down. She knew she should probably sleep, it was getting late. But she wasn't sure she'd be able to sleep. She chewed her lower lip as she moved back to the living room. "There's a couple of bedrooms upstairs." She said as she moved around the living room, pacing more like. Her eyes flickered back to Thor frequently, finding comfort in his presence.
 
He watched her pacing and understood. He walked into the kitchen, "Come along Lt, time for coffee and a non-nutritious meal. Then we can sit down and relax."

He entered the kitchen and immediately set to boiling water for coffee and gave Katherine a grin, "Well do we rummage or can you remember where everything is?"
 
She smiled and trailed after him into the kitchen. She chewed her lower lip, "I know where most of it is." She set about finding the coffee, and cups. It took two hands on each mug to prevent them from falling. She was so grateful for Thor's presence. He seemed to understand without her having to explain her feelings. He just knew. She also grabbed the sugar as she liked an unhealthy amount of sugar in her coffee. Then she looked through at the food, plenty of heathy stuff and just as much junk food. Despite Kat having been in superb shape she loved junk food. Doing the simple tasks seemed to quiet her brain and allow her body to relax just a bit.
 
He watched as she bustled around the kitchen, doing more productive work, which in turn was far better than working herself up into a nervous breakdown. As she decided on what food she wanted, he couldn't help thinking of her as a child in BDUs. The clothing looked positively baggy on her. But then again, dumping some food into her and getting her working out again...things might look better. He wondered how the new clothing that they had gotten for her, would stretch over her frame once she started getting to healthier proportions...with a slight scowl he shook the thought from his mind and switched off the boiling water to prepare their coffee.

"So what is the verdict Lt? Burgers? Oven pizza?"
 
Kat glanced over at Thor when he asked what she wanted to eat. "Pizza sounds good I think." She mused softly. She retrieved the box from the freezer and read the directions. She managed to preheat the oven and even get the pizza out of its packaging. It was a struggle but she refused to give up. She smiled, pleased with herself when she even managed to get the pizza in the oven. It felt really good to be home and even better to have Thor there with her. "Twenty minutes and it'll be done." She said as she instinctively came to stand next to the stove to be near Thor while he made the coffee.
 
Back
Top