Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are spicy pickles.

23467406_10155831540187974_1877657226267510012_o.jpg


Other food at the table last evening.
 
I have been craving a good baked potato. The stores are not offering anything tempting. Where are this seasons offerings ?

thør, I think your guess is the answer. They are trying to fob off last year's crop.


I am hoping that the cold does not end the outdoor market.



.

hmmmm
 
have lost the taste
have lost the exotic thrill
to create in the kitchen...

i know that this is temporary - a biorhythmic thing
but not a god damn thing appeals to that bass string chord
that guides the inspirations...
through a cupboard
or fridge
or green grocer
or menu...

i do know that the thanksgiving charcuterie
will flank about...
8 to 10 banchan.
they will need to know the banchan...
it will be my gift.
outside of that...
my mouth knows nothing fresh
to give
 
I have been craving a good baked potato. The stores are not offering anything tempting. Where are this seasons offerings ?

thør, I think your guess is the answer. They are trying to fob off last year's crop.


I am hoping that the cold does not end the outdoor market.




.

hmmmm

You have to go to the farmer for good spuds. Last years, stored properly, will be okay, but not awesome.
 
Pork Tourtiere for dinner tonight!

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • 15A1D1B0-4B07-47D2-A098-7CD92EB1BF23.jpg
    15A1D1B0-4B07-47D2-A098-7CD92EB1BF23.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1
Happy Thanksgiving Y'all!


Bacon Wrapped Roast Turkey, with CornDog Stuffing

tumblr_oufya6XZi11td9f37o3_1280.jpg



tumblr_oufya6XZi11td9f37o1_1280.jpg
 
A big thank you to whoever suggested Soy Sauce to me in some other thread when I complained about my nuts not being salty.

I had purchased a pound of unsalted pistachios by mistake.

I took a half a pound and I put them in a container with 1 tablespoon of sriracha sauce and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and shook them briefly. I was worried about making my nuts soggy so that I didn't leave them marinating for long at all. It didn't make any difference as my nuts were in fact as predicted quite soggy.

I didn't have a cookie sheet handy so I put it in a small, glass baking dish and put them in the oven at 200 to dry them out. 250 on a cooking sheet probably would have been better but eventually I needed to go to bed and couldn't baby-sit them so I simply turned the oven off and left them until I came home from work today.

Delicious; I've eaten about half of them already.

I think a sunflower seed eater would like these even better if they were to shell my nuts with thejr mouth. I have no talent for that; I forget what I'm doing and end up spitting out the seeds and chewing the hull.

Next time I think I'm going to add a dash of honey, too.
 
Last edited:
yum

(Worse places to be stuck, if there is good food to be had.)

Did it have the flavor of squid ? I went through a squid addiction.


Red Leicester goes very well with broccoli. Will make a nice "biscuit" pizza, later on.
 
Des gave me an idea. I have followed Nordic recipes. Italy has delicious notions, too.

It’s not the only Italian cookie with an amusing name. As Carol Field writes in “The Italian Baker,” “Italians have given their cookies wonderful names that sound as if they’re straight out of fairy tales or nursery rhymes: brutti ma buoni (ugly but good), baci di dama (lady’s kisses), bocche di lupo (wolves’ mouths).” Names often vary regionally. “What are called brutti ma buoni in Tuscany unaccountably become bocconcini del nonno (little bite-size sweets for grandfather) in Rome.”


https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifesty...aptly-named/ApM8HecSMJlGHzmgKDxyNJ/story.html
 
Nope ?

thør, are you playing a joke ?

Roasted vegetables and squid are a friendly match. I will try that.(It will not be freshly made, beautifully tender, inky pasta. But, it will be good quality dried.

win/win, either way

What to do with leftover marzipan-



German Apple-Almond Cake
10.24.2016


(The preface goes on, and on, and on and on, and... but the recipe is interesting. Of course, I will be converting it to whole wheat and almond flour, ect. Sugar, butter, eggs, and marzipan, and apples. It will have a marvellous flavor, no matter what.)


https://www.davidlebovitz.com/apfel-marzipan-kuchen-german-apple-almond-cake-recipe/





4 medium apples, (1 3/4 pounds, 800g)
1 lemon, zested and juiced
7 ounces (200g) almond paste
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
14 tablespoons (200g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoons almond extract
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup, 3 tablespoons (150g) flour
9 tablespoons (80g) cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder, preferably aluminum free
1/4 cup (75g) apricot jam, strained if lumpy
 
Nope ?

thør, are you playing a joke ?

Roasted vegetables and squid are a friendly match. I will try that.(It will not be freshly made, beautifully tender, inky pasta. But, it will be good quality dried.

win/win, either way

No joke.

But, last time in Boston I had this at The Daily Catch. It was very squiddy and damn good eats.
 
Tentacles! yum

Arrrrghhh. My impatience to begin baking, led me to not read until the end. I used almond paste. So, I am on the safe side.

Sorry, that I misled over a fucking cliff.

Detail at link-

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/apfel-marzipan-kuchen-german-apple-almond-cake-recipe/


Can I use marzipan?

Most marzipan is meant for modeling, so has more sugar (and sometimes glucose) added, to make it more pliable. So use almond paste, not marzipan. Nigella Lawson says that almond paste in England is called marzipan. So check that link for advisements if you live in the United Kingdom.


:rolleyes:

Honestly! Just use less sugar ? Leave out the binder ?
 
I am so inviting Fata over for dinner!


Face Hugger Chicken


tumblr_ozfyrsbzt71qzfsnio3_500.jpg



tumblr_ozfyrsbzt71qzfsnio7_500.jpg



tumblr_ozfyrsbzt71qzfsnio1_500.jpg



Recipe and instructions @
 
yikes

(curious about the combined flavors)

Saffron drugs me. I went through a stage, where I was driven to adding ever more threads, and achieved less nirvana.

Too much, and indulged in too often, repulses.

More, is less, with this spice.
 
January seed porn, and other mail that may contain lawn furniture.


Deprivation Tarte Tatin, for breakfast. (No caramel on the bottom. Almonds protected the apples and the cake.)
 
Burns Night is very soon. How is it, that it is here, so quickly ?

Luckily, good potatoes are available. Hope that I can find a rutabaga. Their firmness seems to challenge knife skills.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top