Oh, The Horror!

This will sound weird, but I loved the old Swamp Thing comics. People don't think of it now, but they were first-rate creep-style horror, and the swamp in which they took place was one of the best settings for atmospheric horror I ever experienced. More than that, they had a strange moral center, which I think lies at the heart of all the very best horror.

Not weird at all, you're dead on. The first 10 issues of Swamp Thing explored all the classic horror tropes.

2- was an evil sorcerer, Anton Arcane who would be come a lifetime nemesis of SW
3- a Frankenstein monster type
4-werewolf
5-witch
6 robot
7-a batman crossover breaks the pattern
8- a great Lovecraftian entity
9-space Alien
10 return of Arcane and his infamous "un-men"

In all issues, every nemesis other than arcane is shown in a sympathetic way.

But after Wein and Wrightson left the new direction sort of had SW as a misunderstood superhero and it...sucked.

The second series in the 80's was stagnant until Alan Moore took over with issue 20 "The anatomy lesson" and reworked SW's origin. He was never Alec Holland trapped in a plant like body, but a plant who thought he was Holland. From there the series went to its supernatural roots and brought in John Constantine Hellblazer and the legendary "American Gothic" story line where Moore imitated the original series in bringing out the old horror icons and putting his spin on them..

whew, what a damn geek.

The second series in the 80's was stagnant until Alan Moore took over with issue 20 "The anatomy lesson" and reworked SW's origin. He was never Alec Holland trapped in a plant like body, but a plant who thought he was Holland. From there the series went to its supernatural roots and brought in John Constantine Hellblazer and the legendary "American Gothic" story line where Moore imitated the original series in bringing out the old horror icons and putting his spin on them..

Moore is a comics god but when I read it, I took issue with that issue! One's humanity can only be defined by one's consciousness. We are the sum of our experiences and defined by our memories. If consciousness is transferred, whole and complete and self-aware, from one place to another, that person still exists. Sure, they're different now, but a plant or a robot or a new human body with the same person inside is still that person. Alec Holland's body changed, that's all (though how you could disassemble a brain and recreate it is beyond me to explain, just sayin).

Why yes, I am a little bit of a transhumanist...

Moore is a comics god but when I read it, I took issue with that issue! One's humanity can only be defined by one's consciousness. We are the sum of our experiences and defined by our memories. If consciousness is transferred, whole and complete and self-aware, from one place to another, that person still exists. Sure, they're different now, but a plant or a robot or a new human body with the same person inside is still that person. Alec Holland's body changed, that's all (though how you could disassemble a brain and recreate it is beyond me to explain, just sayin).

Why yes, I am a little bit of a transhumanist...

He still seemed to think he was Alec when he was having plant sex with Abigail :eek:

Authors get bad rap. But I do think that Moore is one of the few that is legitimately insane.

Brilliant guy, though.

Authors get bad rap. But I do think that Moore is one of the few that is legitimately insane.

Brilliant guy, though.

met him once and he does give off a legit fruity vibe. Penned some amazing things though. The Watchmen movie was decades late, but when the series came out it blew people away.

V- for Vendetta was both a great series and movie.

He still seemed to think he was Alec when he was having plant sex with Abigail :eek:

Whaaat lol. I need this issue. For, uh, reasons.

Edit: nevermind, found it on scans_daily. Moore is a kook, but fun.

Last edited:
Seeing we're talking about Swamp Thing. Marvel/DC always followed each other and Marvel's version of a slimy swamp monster debuted two months before Swamp Thing. Savage tales came out in May 1972 and House of Secrets #92 in July.

Man-Thing was different from SW as in he was not really aware of things, he was drawn to and responded to emotions. Hence the tag line whatever knows fear burns at the Man-Things touch.

Like Swamp thing his early issues had a horror flavor to them, then they kind of killed it. Still an interesting character however.

Whaaat lol. I need this issue. For, uh, reasons.

Edit: nevermind, found it on scans_daily. Moore is a kook, but fun.

#33 of the 1980's reboot, I think.

I edited my post. Replying here in case others were curious. I'd link, but I don't think that's allowed? The post is called "Sex with vegetables!" and it's trippy.

I edited my post. Replying here in case others were curious. I'd link, but I don't think that's allowed? The post is called "Sex with vegetables!" and it's trippy.

Was it 33? I'm going by memory. It was that or 34.

lovecraft68 said:
Savage tales came out in May 1972 and House of Secrets #92 in July.
lovecraft68 said:
#33 of the 1980's reboot, I think.

Oh man...speaking of geek...if those issue numbers are off the top of your head, that's just sad.
:D

I got my sister a Dracula counting book for her baby. "Three vampire brides!"

Perfection. Now for ABC's: "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" by Edward Gorey
https://encrypted-tbn0.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZdaqyMVQUnixoosYUzaSG6olaShjRMUhdXmTiFr6Q_83UceDU
gashlycrumb3.jpg

clara.jpg

...and so forth.

So back when I was about five or so I watched this movie Black Sabbath which was three or four short horror stories.

This one, a drop of water scared the fuck out of me to the point years later I would still dream of it and sometimes if I had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night I'd come back to my room thinking 'what of that thing was in my bed'

It did not help there was a leaky faucet in the bathroom. It did not help, un-cool big sis(for this one) would turn it on to make it drip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwPF-sfNvOo

The original Evil dead came out in 1980 when I was 12. I wanted to see it, folks said no, but as always cool big sis took me.

This scene scared the hell out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhmv40SBzS4

A buddy of mine in college was terrified of the we're gonna get you song from that, so of course, we would sing that outside his door--in the high pitched creeper voices-- in the wee hours of the morning.

What did you think of the long awaited final installment, Land of the dead?

I thought it was a bucket of suck. The foragers-or whatever they called themselves, let a bunch of zombies break into Hoppers building and kill people, then left them alone to 'make their way'....what?

Land of the Dead was weak, but it's still so much better than Diary of the Dead and Survival of the Dead. Oof. It pains me to see George stumble like that. I have a Dawn of the Dead poster signed by him and share a birthday with the guy.

Did you happen to check out the Ford Brothers film, The Dead? It was set in Africa and was, in my opinion, the best zombie film to come out in quite a long time. The sequel they made a couple of years later, The Dead 2: India, was still decent, but not near as good as the first. (As is always the case with sequels.)

But, just to throw it out there... Romero's vampire film, Martin, is far too overlooked in my opinion.

So back when I was about five or so I watched this movie Black Sabbath which was three or four short horror stories.

This one, a drop of water scared the fuck out of me to the point years later I would still dream of it and sometimes if I had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night I'd come back to my room thinking 'what of that thing was in my bed'

It did not help there was a leaky faucet in the bathroom. It did not help, un-cool big sis(for this one) would turn it on to make it drip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwPF-sfNvOo

I love Mario Bava's horror stuff. He did a great exploitation film called Rabid Dogs, as well.

I'm a big film geek, with a particular fondness for 60's, 70's and 80's horror and exploitation films. I could go on for ages about this stuff. heh

Clive Barker. I don't think I've ever seen one of his films, but as an author he's got a fascinating mix of horror and eroticism. "The Hellbound Heart" is brilliant.

LC, you might enjoy Kim Newman's short "The Man Who Collected Barker" - about a horror fan who's just a little too obsessed with rare editions.

Clive Barker. I don't think I've ever seen one of his films, but as an author he's got a fascinating mix of horror and eroticism. "The Hellbound Heart" is brilliant.

LC, you might enjoy Kim Newman's short "The Man Who Collected Barker" - about a horror fan who's just a little too obsessed with rare editions.

I haven't read any of Kim Newman's fiction, but I have an excellent book on horror films that he wrote.

My favorite Clive Barker short is called "The Yattering and Jack" from one of the Books Of Blood collections.

I love Mario Bava's horror stuff. He did a great exploitation film called Rabid Dogs, as well.

I'm a big film geek, with a particular fondness for 60's, 70's and 80's horror and exploitation films. I could go on for ages about this stuff. heh

Bava was good, I enjoyed Schock which was also known as a a sequel to a 1974 Possession movie Beyond the Door.

Lucio Fulci was big in the same era, more gory though in my mind. Gates of Hell was an all time 1980's so bad it was kind of good movie.

Every time I think of Barker I think of my personal favorite of his in movie form, Nightbreed.

It always pisses me off that we get sequel after sequel of movies that never needed one and that movie was wide open for one and it was never done. David Cronnenberg was a serious sick bastard in that movie.

Back