Can a Dom ever love

I

Iceprincess12

You so much that he would become submissive? In a virtual relationship I understand there are limits but the emotions can be just as strong as a real relationship. If I am not his sub, but he is a dom, is it possible that he would ever give in to me since our relationship is still one of equality? I am not talking about actually having me become his dom, but having him give up control to me.

"Giving up control to you" =/= "submissive". He might let you top him and boss him around every once in a while, but the chance of him suddenly feeling whole and fulfilled from doing this, if it's not already there, is basically nil.

This is like asking "can someone ever love me enough to cure my depression?". The answer is no. Don't even think it's possible. That's not how this stuff works.

"Giving up control to you" =/= "submissive". He might let you top him and boss him around every once in a while, but the chance of him suddenly feeling whole and fulfilled from doing this, if it's not already there, is basically nil.

This is like asking "can someone ever love me enough to cure my depression?". The answer is no. Don't even think it's possible. That's not how this stuff works.
Ok, that's what I was looking for. Thank you.

For ME (your mileage may vary) a good Dominant partner will listen to their submissive and adjust expectations or ideas *if* reflecting upon those opinions causes them to see something that perhaps they didn't consider. There is certainly no shame or loss of "dominess" because someone didn't think of every single angle of things, and in fact I find it highly attractive when a Dominant can admit a mistake or that they didn't remember a certain fact or whatever.

However, I wouldn't expect someone who identifies as Dominant to "give in" or "give over" on a permanent basis unless they find that although they identified as Dominant they have learned more about themselves or upon reflection or trying various things have decided they are not strictly Dominant after all. Some switches feel they can Dom some people and be sub to others, so that is a possibility.

If you think a Dominant is going to give in to you regarding something that they find important within a relationship, I would think it's unlikely to happen very often. If that person has listened to your side, considered it and chooses not to address your points, then that's about all you can ask. (again, YMMV...this is just me...I just want to know I have been listened to and considered, then if he chooses to do something else, I respect that. I also don't feel the need to be "listened to" over every little detail, just the big things such as where to live, etc...)

For ME (your mileage may vary) a good Dominant partner will listen to their submissive and adjust expectations or ideas *if* reflecting upon those opinions causes them to see something that perhaps they didn't consider. There is certainly no shame or loss of "dominess" because someone didn't think of every single angle of things, and in fact I find it highly attractive when a Dominant can admit a mistake or that they didn't remember a certain fact or whatever.

However, I wouldn't expect someone who identifies as Dominant to "give in" or "give over" on a permanent basis unless they find that although they identified as Dominant they have learned more about themselves or upon reflection or trying various things have decided they are not strictly Dominant after all. Some switches feel they can Dom some people and be sub to others, so that is a possibility.

If you think a Dominant is going to give in to you regarding something that they find important within a relationship, I would think it's unlikely to happen very often. If that person has listened to your side, considered it and chooses not to address your points, then that's about all you can ask. (again, YMMV...this is just me...I just want to know I have been listened to and considered, then if he chooses to do something else, I respect that. I also don't feel the need to be "listened to" over every little detail, just the big things such as where to live, etc...)
I can understand (sorta) that the dynamics of a dom/sub relationship have their own rules, but in a dom and regular person relationship, those rules don't apply. Fairness, equality, giving in, etc the "normal" relationship dynamics, can a dom play by those rules? Kopilot, if I understood correctly, said no.

there's an essay linked in my sig that might-- or maybe not-- be of some use to you. :) So many people talk about dominating when they really mean topping.

But if we are talking about dominance and not about topping-- My feeling is that for most of us, dominance and submission are more situational than we suppose. There's a Kinsey Scale kinda thing going on and people fall on all the ranges from 100% dominant to almost-always-dominant, to dominant-most-of-the-time to will-submit-to-the-right-person to switch-early-switch-often... and on towards 100%submissive.

For anecdote's sake, I know one man who always considered himself 100% dominant. And then he met a lady who would never ever submit to anyone-- and he became her submissive. Going on 14 years together now, I think. :heart:

there's an essay linked in my sig that might-- or maybe not-- be of some use to you. :) So many people talk about dominating when they really mean topping.

But if we are talking about dominance and not about topping-- My feeling is that for most of us, dominance and submission are more situational than we suppose. There's a Kinsey Scale kinda thing going on and people fall on all the ranges from 100% dominant to almost-always-dominant, to dominant-most-of-the-time to will-submit-to-the-right-person to switch-early-switch-often... and on towards 100%submissive.

For anecdote's sake, I know one man who always considered himself 100% dominant. And then he met a lady who would never ever submit to anyone-- and he became her submissive. Going on 14 years together now, I think. :heart:
That sounds like a love story, very romantic.
I don't expect or am even looking for him to become submissive in the bdsm sense, but more like the natural give and take in a relationship, where women wear the pants :)

I should add that he is dominant, not a topper (apologies if that terminology is incorrect)

Last edited by a moderator:

Muuuch better explanation of what I meant by "have it in him" than what I said. ;B

That sounds like a love story, very romantic.
It is, and you know what? The bitch doesn't even deserve him.:eek:

Naw, that's not true-- it's more like their relationship is proof that people are capable of getting some aspects of their life exactly right, even if they have screwed up in other parts.
I don't expect or am even looking for him to become submissive in the bdsm sense, but more like the natural give and take in a relationship, where women wear the pants :)

I should add that he is dominant, not a topper (apologies if that terminology is incorrect)
Sounds like something that you and he will have to talk about-- work on-- and understand that time will tell...

You'll have to decide between yourselves if it's worthwhile.

It is, and you know what? The bitch doesn't even deserve him.:eek:

Naw, that's not true-- it's more like their relationship is proof that people are capable of getting some aspects of their life exactly right, even if they have screwed up in other parts.
Sounds like something that you and he will have to talk about-- work on-- and understand that time will tell...

You'll have to decide between yourselves if it's worthwhile.
I appreciate you taking the time to give me some information. Everything in fantasyland always works out the way it's supposed to, happily ever after or not!

Every relationship is different. Communication is the key. A free flow of communication is imperative of every relationship, but it is essential in a BDSM one.

I dunno... I live in a universe where my strengths are my strengths. Which means I get to run the stuff I'm good at, am asked (and respected for) my opinions, and big decisions are made together. Kinda like most healthy, functional relationships.

The fact that I ID as submissive, and choose partners who are comfortable with the concept of IDing as dominant, doesn't change the day to day realities of life.

Although I do have to say that this

I don't expect or am even looking for him to become submissive in the bdsm sense, but more like the natural give and take in a relationship, where women wear the pants. :)

is the sort of comment that reminds me of the women I've known who "wear the pants" by nagging, ridiculing, belittling, and passive aggressively complaining about how their partner can't ever seem to do anything right. Because, men. :rolleyes:

I dunno... I live in a universe where my strengths are my strengths. Which means I get to run the stuff I'm good at, am asked (and respected for) my opinions, and big decisions are made together. Kinda like most healthy, functional relationships.

The fact that I ID as submissive, and choose partners who are comfortable with the concept of IDing as dominant, doesn't change the day to day realities of life.

Although I do have to say that this

is the sort of comment that reminds me of the women I've known who "wear the pants" by nagging, ridiculing, belittling, and passive aggressively complaining about how their partner can't ever seem to do anything right. Because, men. :rolleyes:
No, it was meant very tongue in cheek. I like strong men and have no desire to control them.

Apologies if it came out sounding shrewish :(

I appreciate you taking the time to give me some information. Everything in fantasyland always works out the way it's supposed to, happily ever after or not!
truer words were never spoke! :cattail:

and all orgasms last for hours, in Fantasyland. :cattail::cattail:

You so much that he would become submissive? In a virtual relationship I understand there are limits but the emotions can be just as strong as a real relationship. If I am not his sub, but he is a dom, is it possible that he would ever give in to me since our relationship is still one of equality? I am not talking about actually having me become his dom, but having him give up control to me.

Great question

I think in some ways-
The doms total need for control over everything you do is the ultimate expression of controlling love

Great question

I think in some ways-
The doms total need for control over everything you do is the ultimate expression of controlling love
I am too controlling to let anyone have that kind of power over me. I will just refer to Tina Turner

You must understand
That the touch of your hand
Makes my pulse react
That it's only the thrill
Of boy meeting girl
Opposites attract

It's physical
Only logical
You must try to ignore
That it means more than that

Calling it lust instead, solves everything :)

Thank you AO

I find some Domly types find it really difficult when they do fall in love with their sub.

Some can find it hard to hurt the person they love or to humiliate them or whatever the kink may be.

For some it is a transition period and for others it can just switch things off, tis weird.

I agree with Stella and CM.

Most relationships have a plethora of dynamics both inside and outside the bedroom. Things like..."Whose responsibility is it to take out the trash?", "Who will handle the finances?", "Who needs to pickup the dirty laundry off of the bathroom floor?"....etc.etc.etc.

Most people are able to find some path to navigate as part of the making the relationship "work".

I think of it this way. If you compare a PYL (Dom, Top, Sub, Bottom whatever) to the members of a Multi-Level, international corporation, you have Supervisors, Managers, Middle Management, Directors, VP's all the way to CEO's and BoD's, someone is subordinate to someone else no matter what their position. It only matters what level you are functioning at that time. To better illustrate, a CEO of a life sciences company may not be as well suited as a CEO of a Petroleum company just because of the dynamics of the "Job" at hand.

To the original question, will He allow you to control certain areas that are outside of his "Dominant" nature? I would allow it especially if you were better at taking out the trash than He is!!! :D

I find some Domly types find it really difficult when they do fall in love with their sub.

Some can find it hard to hurt the person they love or to humiliate them or whatever the kink may be.

For some it is a transition period and for others it can just switch things off, tis weird.
So a dom/sub relationship is not about falling in love? If both people were single the ultimate goal wouldn't be to get married? That almost sounds like rp to me. Every new comment brings up more questions :) I guess the best thing would be to ask him since there are so many different types of doms. I really hope pain isn't a kink of his, but again since it's virtual, I don't see how that could work anyway.

Thank you Kiwi

Before I realized that I was the Dominant one, I did have a Dom who basically told me that "The leash goes both ways."

Unfortunately, by the time that I figured that much out, I was busting his balls all the time and I was no longer in love, nor did I want to submit.

I have watched Dominant men turn submissive for the right woman. It all depends.

So a dom/sub relationship is not about falling in love? If both people were single the ultimate goal wouldn't be to get married?
if they subscribe to that bourgeois credo, then yes. And plenty of people do, after all.

But no. Dom/sub is not always about falling in love. For some people it's about ownership. It's real nice of course, is someone loves their owner and an owner loves their property. But it's not always necessary.

That almost sounds like rp to me.

Personally, I see a lot of what I consider totally conventional couples that look to me as if they are RP-ing master and slave. Who's to say? Not me! Only they can. :)

So a dom/sub relationship is not about falling in love? If both people were single the ultimate goal wouldn't be to get married? That almost sounds like rp to me.

I prefer to belong to men that I like being friends with. Friends, then lovers; the D/s stuff happens pretty organically somewhere along the way. Love may or may not happen. Monogamy may or may not be part of the picture. (Love tends to happen, in my experience, but not necessarily in the way most people define "falling in love".)

Marriage? No thank you. BTDT, and have no interest in ever doing so again.

Every new comment brings up more questions :) I guess the best thing would be to ask him since there are so many different types of doms. I really hope pain isn't a kink of his, but again since it's virtual, I don't see how that could work anyway.
Thank you Kiwi

As an example of how many different ways D/s can present itself... you commented that it sounded like role play to you (not falling in love, with the ultimate goal of marriage). Which is valid for you. To me, virtual D/s sounds like role play.

Yay ice cream!

I agree with Stella and CM.

Most relationships have a plethora of dynamics both inside and outside the bedroom. Things like..."Whose responsibility is it to take out the trash?", "Who will handle the finances?", "Who needs to pickup the dirty laundry off of the bathroom floor?"....etc.etc.etc.

Most people are able to find some path to navigate as part of the making the relationship "work".

I think of it this way. If you compare a PYL (Dom, Top, Sub, Bottom whatever) to the members of a Multi-Level, international corporation, you have Supervisors, Managers, Middle Management, Directors, VP's all the way to CEO's and BoD's, someone is subordinate to someone else no matter what their position. It only matters what level you are functioning at that time. To better illustrate, a CEO of a life sciences company may not be as well suited as a CEO of a Petroleum company just because of the dynamics of the "Job" at hand.

To the original question, will He allow you to control certain areas that are outside of his "Dominant" nature? I would allow it especially if you were better at taking out the trash than He is!!! :D
Haha, I guess I could be in charge of trash duties.

Back