The "Fuck you cancer!" thread

Friend of mine died today. She'd been doing so well, saw her at a party less than a month ago, then she had a sudden bad reaction to chemo right at the end of her treatment, and they switched off her life support this afternoon. Third friend I've lost to cancer in six months. Fuck this.

Friend of mine died today. She'd been doing so well, saw her at a party less than a month ago, then she had a sudden bad reaction to chemo right at the end of her treatment, and they switched off her life support this afternoon. Third friend I've lost to cancer in six months. Fuck this.

(((hug)))

ps: Fuck You Cancer! :mad:

Always a new person, a new battle or a new loss! I am so sorry for your losses! FUCK YOU CANCER!!!!

:rose:

I'm sorry Brambly :(

Today is the 10th anniversary of my mom’s passing from bladder cancer. I think about her every day. The emotional roller coaster has flattened out some but I still get irritable around special days like today (which happens to be my dads birthday).

:rose:*hug*:rose:

(((hugs)))

I am so sorry for your loss.

FYC:mad:

@Bramblethorn, fuck, man, I'm so sorry. I hate that this disease is so fucking relentless.

One of my nieces recently let us know that her thyroid cancer had returned. I'm so pissed. She's such a beautiful young woman, a mother with three young boys and a good man at her side. I'm grateful that she has solid support, but it really, really angers me that cancer shows up so often for so many of our families.

Tomorrow marks six months since mr. cookie died.

Although the days feel more even, the sad edges more smooth, I have these moments of gut-punching grief and guilt. Nights are worse. But it is better. Time definitely heals. More and more, I'm forgetting the awfulness of ALS and remembering how much I loved (love) mr. cookie. :heart:

For everyone dealing with grief, loss, uncertainty - I wish you peace. A slice of it, at the very least.

:heart:

DuCW9Xu.jpg

Last edited:

Although the days feel more even, the sad edges more smooth, I have these moments of gut-punching grief and guilt. Nights are worse. But it is better. Time definitely heals. More and more, I'm forgetting the awfulness of ALS and remembering how much I loved (love) mr. cookie. :heart:

For everyone dealing with grief, loss, uncertainty - I wish you peace. A slice of it, at the very least.

Grief does, indeed, run its course, slowly, with fits and starts, but run it does. But this will be a difficult day. It will not be the last.

Grief does, indeed, run its course, slowly, with fits and starts, but run it does. But this will be a difficult day. It will not be the last.

Thanks.

I try to wrap my head around the fact that "anniversary" dates are no different than any other day. I do not miss him less or love him less on 'plain' ole days. Perhaps it's just the reminder. I think, too, it's this first year. All of the firsts.

DuCW9Xu.jpg

((:)heart:)))

DuCW9Xu.jpg

* Huge Hug* :rose::rose::rose:

I am so sorry.

Fuck You Cancer!

12 years today cancer took my mother...in November it'll be 12 years since it also stole my father.

FUCK
YOU
CANCER

MURDEROUS THIEF.

Stealing good people from this earth regardless of age, race or religion.

FUCK
YOU CANCER

12 years today cancer took my mother...in November it'll be 12 years since it also stole my father.

FUCK
YOU
CANCER

MURDEROUS THIEF.

FUCK
YOU CANCER

Indeed - Fuck You Cancer... :mad:

Thanks.

I try to wrap my head around the fact that "anniversary" dates are no different than any other day. I do not miss him less or love him less on 'plain' ole days. Perhaps it's just the reminder. I think, too, it's this first year. All of the firsts.

The way I think about it, and I don't know whether it's the same for other people:

When somebody's important in my life, a little model of them grows inside my head. It guides how I interact with that person - I happen to see a cute bunny photo and the mini-them pops up to remind me that K. loooves bunny rabbits and if I send it to them I'll brighten their day.

Then something major happens. Death, a breakup, whatever. For one reason or another, my relationship with that person has changed, very quickly. But the mini-them hasn't kept up with that change. So it keeps on popping up to say "hey, you should send that to K!" even when that's either impossible or inappropriate.

For me, a big part of grief is in that dissonance between the mini-them and the new reality. That instinctive desire to do things that can't, or shouldn't, be done. Not just the change, but the moments that make you think about the change.

(A couple of years back, one of my co-workers died in a horrible accident, and it took weeks before his name stopped appearing in meeting invites. Technology as an external metaphor for the internal process, or something.)

...sorry, that ended up rather more rambling than I'd intended. It's late here and I'm tired, I should go to bed now.

(A couple of years back, one of my co-workers died in a horrible accident, and it took weeks before his name stopped appearing in meeting invites. Technology as an external metaphor for the internal process, or something.)

yes indeed.... :(

Thanks.

(((hugs)))

Thanks.

The first year sucks in a massively sucky Oscar-for-best-supporting-suckwad sort of way. Twenty-five hugs to you to beat back the suckiness.

FUCK
YOU
CANCER

MURDEROUS THIEF.

FUCK
YOU CANCER

Tell him. It makes you feel a bit better, and it annoys cellfucker not a little.

:rose:

FYC.

For me, a big part of grief is in that dissonance between the mini-them and the new reality. That instinctive desire to do things that can't, or shouldn't, be done. Not just the change, but the moments that make you think about the change.

I totally get this.

mr. cookie was the first person in my adult life to die. He was my partner in crime. Especially in his last year, when he was effectively a quadriplegic, I was consumed with conversation. Keeping his brain entertained, engaged. Letting him know I still needed his help. It became my full-time job.

Now, I see something or hear a story and think - mr. c would love that! It's surprising how I forget he's not here - as you say - it's instinctive. The within a millisecond, my heart drops and remembers.

Back