Rewriting a Story

J

John988

Guest
[This content has been removed due to a copyright violation.]

[This content has been removed due to a copyright violation.]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
We've offered before to look it over/listen to it and see what we might suggest to help. This is the category in which we write.
-MM
 
Why don't you just write another story? You'll probably learn more writing a new piece than futzing with the last one, especially if you're not quite sure what's "wrong" with the last one.

What do you think is "wrong" with the story? There might be nothing at all, other than it's an early piece from someone who is still feeling their way as a writer.

I guess what I'm saying, is if you can't articulate what's wrong with your story, wait until you can, and then come back to it (or leave it, and write your tenth story). The next story should be the better one, not your last one. If you're not careful, you'll have one story reworked ten times, rather than ten stories.
 
[This content has been removed due to a copyright violation.]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently in the process of rewriting my first novel and I feel your pain. Here’s what I did: read it, set the book down on the floor, kicked it under the couch, opened up Word and started from scratch; same characters, same general idea, same plot flow but sooo much better.

If you don’t like how the first version went I would advise you against trying to salvage much of any of it and just start over. Leave the original up on Lit (it’s a good way to reference without feeling the need to edit) until you’ve finished the second version.
 
The bottom line is that I've opened it up to work on it many times and find so many problems that I can't decide where to start. Yes, if I picked one and tackled it, I'm sure it would flow through into the next and the next and the next. I guess this is just me asking for someone to pick a starting point for me. I'm not too ashamed to admit that. I write infrequently (most of my hobbies are relegated to "infrequently"), and when I do, I'm focused on my current story. Asking someone for a couple points to start on is my way of saving a little time for everything else
So leave it be, and concentrate on the next one. Once you've got a dozen or so stories up, you might feel like coming back to it and giving it a once over. Or you might just let it be, as an example to yourself of where you started from.
 
LIT authors receive no payment beyond brownie points -- views, votes, faves, comments. Authors ultimately post on LIT for their/our own satisfaction. Do whatever feels best for yourself. If revising early pieces satisfies you, DO IT! Follow orders from the voices in your head.
 
Back
Top