totally off topic - have you vacationed by yourself??

LOL - I was going to point out the irony of the bio too ...

I think travelling is much easier in the internet age - TripAdvisor made travelling around India so much easier, and we always plan fairly well, whether travelling as a family or on our ownsomes. But I'm also a great wanderer - I think walking around is by far the best way to get the feel of a place. That's so much easier now with GPS etc. London is really well geared for walking - every major corner in the city has a bollard with map that shows you where you are, and what's in a walkable radius. I walked so much last time I was there that my entire body would be aching by the end of the day. I also went to Shakespeare at the Globe on my own, which was awesome - I wish I'd done more theatre actually.


I haven't taken much time as solo vacations per se, but I have had several opportunities when travelling on business to lose myself in a foreign place for a few days. There is something liberating and creative about having only myself to determine where I will go and what I will do in a strange place half way around the world. The natural inclination to please others is simply absent. There is only me and this place. Do entirely what I want or waste the opportunity - that is all there is.

Wake up with a clear head and no obligations. Buy a guide and a coffee, sit down and plan to fill the day - that day not some day far into the future - with as much cool interesting and fun stuff as you can find. Just go and do. And if it doesn't work out go to the next thing. This is one of life's great pleasures.
 
I'm thinking about heading on a by myself vacation. Possibly cruising for 7-10 days. Apparently they have solo cabins on some ships so single people don't have to pay crazy prices based on double occupancy.

Might jump in the car and head across the country, visit friends along the way.

Have any of you vacationed by yourself? Have you ever felt unsafe, lonely? Did you have any back-up plans if something went awry?

Just pondering. Looking for advice.

:cattail::cattail:
Well... I went to the US for almost 5 weeks by myself. Had a great time!:cool: Didn’t feel unsafe or lonely (but I have no problem being on my own at home either).
 
Back
Top