Western Trails (closed)

The shopkeeper raised an eyebrow,

"Wichita? That is quite a distance to travel. Well I am glad to make your acquaintance and I do hope you have a pleasant stay here in our small town."

He slid her purchase into a brown paper bag and handed it over to her after taking the money,

"I do hope you have a good day."
 
"Thank you." Penny said with a smile as she took the bag from him and turned to leave. "Oh, one more thing. Where's the best place to get a meal in this town?"

Penny stopped by the door, turning to look at the friendly shopkeep as she waited for his answer. Her belly was ready for a hot meal that wasn't cooked over a campfire and she was sure that John would appreciate one as well.
 
"Well ma'am, the hotel does have some good fare, but the best place in town to get good food at reasonable prices will be Glenda's. She is just next to the Sheriff's."

The shopkeeper smiled,

"You can just tell her that Andrew sent you, she will understand."
 
"Glenda's." Penny murmured, tucking that name away for later. "Thank you very much. You have a nice day."

With her shopping done, Penny made her way back to the hotel, slipping into their room silently in case John was asleep still. She placed the box of ammunition on the wooden table and beside that, a fresh set of clothing for John. Then, she set back slipping into her new dress. There was a kind of giddy excitement that came from having something that was new and only for her.
 
"Well then, that is something I can get used to waking up to. A beautiful woman getting dressed in the same room as me."

John gave her an innocent smile when she turned to look at him,

"Well well well, I see you put them funds to good use, it is quite a pretty dress you got yourself."

He nodded to the clothing,

"And you got something for me, got an occasion planned perhaps?"
 
"Of course I got you something." Penny said with a grin as she turned back towards him to finish buttoning up her dress. "Because I refuse to be seen at dinner with a man that looks like he's been rode hard and put up wet."
 
He chuckled,

"Rode hard you say, sounds like a promise. You aiming to fulfil that at some stage?"

He slid to the edge of the bed and slowly got up, using the washing basin to clear the sleep from his mind, then he moved to the shirt and with a slight grimace slipped it on, his eye caught the box of ammunition, he smiled,

"You remembered."

With his shirt buttoned up, he slipped on his gunbelt and loaded the revolver and filled the empty loops in the belt, then he sat down to pull on his boots.
 
"Of course I remembered." Penny said with a smile. "You didn't really think that I would forget, did you? I did get the third degree from the shop keeper, but I also got the name of the best restaurant in town and you're going to take me out for dinner."
 
"Oh I was pretty sure you'll remember the ammunition, wasn't sure if you'll remember the calibre."

He buttoned the shirt as he walked over to her, wrapped his arms around her and kissed her forehead,

"What the lady wish for the lady will get. I just need my boots and we can be on our way."

He returned to the bed, sat down and slipped on his boots, looking at Penny as she finished
 
Penny grinned widely as he wrapped her in his arms. Her eyes fluttered close as a kiss was pressed to her forehead and she felt like she was in heaven. John cared about her and that was all that mattered in her life.

She turned back to finish dressing. It felt wonderful to have a new dress to slip into after being on the trail for so long. Once she was dressed, she moved back to John and placed his beat up hat back on his brow.

"I love you, John. I hope that you know that." She said softly, kissing him once more.
 
He grinned,

"When you didn't leave me behind in the desert I kind of figured that part out."

He winked at her and gave her a soft kiss on the forehead,

"Well let me get dressed so that I don't look like a well-ridden man."

He chuckled and made his way over to where the shirt lay to pull it on.
 
Penny smiled as he kissed her gently on the forehead and told her that he figured she loved him when he wasn't left out in the desert to die. She would never leave him behind, she told herself as he moved to pull on the new shirt that she had bought. She never planned on letting him get very far away from him at all.

"Well, hurry it up, slow poke. I'm starving!" Penny exclaimed, looking over her should at him with a grin as she waited patiently.
 
He dusted off his hat and slipped it onto his head,

"Well I am slow now, you should see me when I'm not."

He met her grin with one of his own and buckled his weapon belt; with both revolvers and the extra shells in the practical loops along the back, on. He heaved a soft sigh and offered his arm to her,

"Let's hope that for once I don't have to use them. Shall we be going now madame?"
 
"Oh, I have seen you when you're not slow. Trust me, John, I want to see more. All that you have to offer." Penny promised, taking his arm as he offered it to her.

"If you have to use them, I'll be right there to back you up. I promise." She knew that they had no troubles there, but she supposed that he had many enemies spread near and wide.
 
"The problem is that right now I doubt that I'll be able to handle the weight, if some young gun gets wind of who I am and get it into his mind to make a name for himself, more likely he will be the one who makes that name for himself."

He rested his hand on her arm hooked in with him and gave it a small pat,

"I'm just Steven for now, until I get more of that blood back which I have lost."
 
"Well, I'll have to double my efforts to nurse you back to health." Penny said as she pressed a kiss against his cheek. "I do love you, John. I really hope that you know that."
 
He smiled at her,

"I do know. But remember, it's Steven for now."

He pressed a kiss to her cheek and whispered softly,

"And I love you as well, don't forget that."

With a wink he lead her towards the doors of the Hotel and out on to the boardwalk.
 
A leisurely stroll down the sidewalk led them to the resturant that had been recommended. It was clean, friendly, and the smells coming from the kitchen were absolutely heavenly. Penny felt her belly rumble at the thought of eating and she let John led her to an empty table.
 
He pulled out a chair for Penny, the stares directed at them seemed much more curious than hostile or guarded, it seemed like Penny had found the one friendly place in town. He took a seat and leaned back, suddenly feeling akward with the pistol on his hip, nobody in here carried a weapon, he was the only one. A friendly-looking woman came over,

"Good morning ma'am, I'd have a glass of lemonade, I am not quite sure what..."

Oh shit, what should he say? She clearly wasn't his hostage anymore,

"Fiamcee would want."
 
Penny took her seat with a smile towards John as he seemed to relax a little bit. He just needed a place where there were no hostile individuals trying to make trouble. It seemed that she had found that place for him.

She was about to speak when she sputtered as John referred to her as his fiance. She didn't know what to say to that and her wide eyes showed him her shock. Sure, they loved one another. They hadn't really talked about marriage or anything like that...

"That same, please." She said as she got over her shock and looked towards the woman with the same stunned expression.
 
With their drinks written down, the woman departed, John gave Penny a casual smile, "Well don't look so shocked, they would be looking for a gunman and his hostage, not a cowpoke and his fiancee."

He just had to chuckle,

"I wish you could see your face." That said he leaned closer, "Hey, the day will come when I will ask your hand, see this as practice for when that day comes."
 
Penny schooled her features once more and gave him a smile as he talked about asking for her hand one day. "John, you don't have to ask me to marry you. I mean, I love you. I truly do, but I don't want you to feel that you've been forced into anything."
 
He leaned closer, "I am not going to build a nice bed on a ranch and live there doing honest work all alone." He gave her a sly little smile, "But if you don't want to marry me, I will most likely have to go and trade me a wife with one of the Indian tribes. They do like a nice horse like Sudden."
 
"Sudden would come with me before I allowed you to do that." Penny said as he flashed her that sly smile of his. "Besides, I think he likes me better than an old beat up cowboy any day. I'm most definitely easier on the eyes."
 
He laughed at her remark and just shook his head, "Sudden is the kind of guy that really likes a filly with good limbs and a good rump. He does seem to follow your filly rather willingly."

He leaned back into his chair and gave her a slight smile, "So you see, I don't feel pressured at all. I am just telling you as I see it."
 
Back
Top