What are you reading at the moment?

Since I started writing and hanging out in the AH, I have discovered some really great authors here. Whenever someone catches my attention in the AH, I make it a point to read at least some of their work. Many of you have really elevated my opinion of what Literotica can be. So far, I've read bramblethorn, ChloeTzang, ElectricBlue66, ellen_devlin, Exescort, HeyAll, MelissaBaby, NotWise, Oggbashan, SimonDoom, sr71plt, and SusanJillParker.

Tonight I'm reading 8letters.
 
Ready Player One

Just finished Ready Player One.

I'm not usually into young adult stuff, but this was a gift so... Ended up being pleasantly surprised.

Before that, The Quiet War by Paul McAuley. I'll say the same thing about it as a critic did of the play Cats. A junk-encrusted vacuum. Almost gave up by about halfway through. It's quite a blaze of scientific information about terraforming and so on. So much so that it overwhelmed the story. Speaking of which, the story really wasn't there. I guess there was a love story in there but it just didn't come off very well. I'll stop now.

Just started The Handmaid's Tale.
 
Tonight I'm reading SolarRay.

Since I started writing and hanging out in the AH, I have discovered some really great authors here. Whenever someone catches my attention in the AH, I make it a point to read at least some of their work. Many of you have really elevated my opinion of what Literotica can be.

This thread makes a convenient place to keep a running list so I don't forget anyone. So far, I've read 8letters, bramblethorn, ChloeTzang, ElectricBlue66, ellen_devlin, Exescort, HeyAll, MelissaBaby, NotWise, Oggbashan, SimonDoom, sr71plt, and SusanJillParker.
 
One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer by Nathaniel C. Fick

Dagger 22: U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations in Bala Murghab, Afghanistan by Michael Golembesky

Research for "Fields of Gold"

5157SNIL1JL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51%2BlgugQEFL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
 
I just took a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies out of the oven, and tonight I'm reading ausfet.

Since I started writing and hanging out in the AH, I have discovered some really great authors here. Whenever someone catches my attention in the AH, I make it a point to read at least some of their work. Many of you have really elevated my opinion of what Literotica can be.

This thread makes a convenient place to keep a running list so I don't forget anyone. So far, I've read 8letters, bramblethorn, ChloeTzang, ElectricBlue66, ellen_devlin, Exescort, HeyAll, JasonClearwater, MelissaBaby, NotWise, Oggbashan, SimonDoom, SolarRay, sr71plt, and SusanJillParker.
 


"...The two men that Photius chose for the mission to Moravia were brothers. They had grown up in Thessalonica, the empire's second city, which although still a Greek city had been surrounded by Slavic settlers. Slavic was heard in Thessalonica as often as Byzantine Greek.... The dialects that would eventually resolve themselves into the various Slavic languages had not yet done so. Slavs could still understand each other wherever they had settled, and so the brothers would be able to communicate effectively in Moravia.

The younger of the two, whose given name was Constantine but who is known to history by his later monastic name of Cyril, had been born around 825...

Cyril and Methodius accepted the mission, but they didn't leave for Moravia right away. Cyril spent the winter preparing for the assignment by inventing an alphabet that could be used to spread the Gospels in Slavic. The new alphabet, called Glagolitic, contained forty letters. Many were based loosely on either Greek or Hebrew letters, but many also appear invented from scratch. By the time they left Byzantium in the spring of 863, the brothers had used Cyril's new alphabet to translate a selection from the Gospels for use in a Slavic liturgy. This new written language would be called Old Church Slavonic...

The biggest development of Symeon's reign was a new Slavonic alphabet, ironically called Cyrillic, which originated in Bulgaria decades after Cyril's death and may have been invented by Methodius' disciple Clement of Ohrid (though most scholars now doubt this). Based much more closely on Greek letters, it was also far simpler than Glagolitic, and now began rapidly to replace it in Old Church Slavonic literature..."
_______________
Like the German kaiser, the Slavic word tsar comes from the Byzantine imperial title caesar, roughly "deputy emperor." That, of course, had originally been the family name of the first Roman emperor, Augustus Caesar and his adoptive father, Julius Caesar.



-Colin Wells
Sailing From Byzantium: How A Lost Empire Shaped The World
New York, N.Y. 2006.






A truly fascinating topic and book. It is not easy reading but the effort required is worth it. This is important history to which you were probably never exposed.

Now you know the etymology and history of Cyrillic and tsar.



 



"...These were the years when the prince was often seen in Paris. In Montmartre, at the Moulin Rouge (opened in 1889), he was accosted by the cancan dancer Louise Weber, who jeered, 'Ullo, Wales! Est-ce que tu vas payer mon champagne?' (Will you pay for my champagne?)

Le Chabanais, founded in 1878, was a palace of sex decorated lavishly in a variety of styles, including Moorish, Japanese, and Louis XVI. The room Bertie used was known as the Hindu chamber, emblazoned above the bed was his coat of arms. The prostitutes with their frizzed black hair, long drawers, corsets, and bare breasts, seem to twenty-first century (female) eyes strangely lacking in allure, but Bertie undoubtedly visited. He was watched by the Paris police, who kept files on his movements. The copper bath that was filled with champagne while he consorted with prostitutes (anything less erotic than sitting in a cold and sticky champagne bath seems hard to imagine) still exists. Appropriately, it was bought by Salvador Dali. The prize artifact in Bertie's room was the seat of love, which he allegedly commissioned in about 1890. Exactly what permutations the complicated design of stirrups and supports was designed for is hard to see, but when it was later exhibited to visitors, they were told, 'He stepped in there as if he were going to a stall.'..."



-Jane Ridley
The Heir Apparent: A Life of Edward VII, The Playboy Prince
New York, N.Y. 2013.






Given his mother's neurotic parenting, occasional bizarre behavio(u)r and her flagrantly manipulative on-again, off-again favoritism, it's a bit of a wonder that Edward VII turned out to be halfway sane at all. Notwithstanding the reputation of Victorian England, sexual promiscuity was commonplace among the aristocratic class. The number of male syphilitics and other STD sufferers is amazing; Lord Randolph Churchill, Albert's father (Ernest I), brother Ernest (II) Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, and Edward VII's son Albert Victor ("Eddy"). STD was rife.




 
Last edited:
The Aeneid by Virgil

From Wikipedia:

The Aeneid (/ɪˈniːɪd/; Latin: Aeneis [ae̯ˈneːɪs]) is a Latin epic poem, written by Virgil between 29 and 19 BC,[1] that tells the legendary story of Aeneas, a Trojan who travelled to Italy, where he became the ancestor of the Romans. It comprises 9,896 lines in dactylic hexameter.[2] The first six of the poem's twelve books tell the story of Aeneas's wanderings from Troy to Italy, and the poem's second half tells of the Trojans' ultimately victorious war upon the Latins, under whose name Aeneas and his Trojan followers are destined to be subsumed.

First seven lines:

Arma virumque canō, Trōiae quī prīmus ab orīs
Ītaliam, fātō profugus, Lāvīniaque vēnit
lītora, multum ille et terrīs iactātus et altō
vī superum saevae memorem Iūnōnis ob īram;
multa quoque et bellō passūs, dum conderet urbem,
inferretque deōs Latiō, genus unde Latīnum,
Albānīque patrēs, atque altae moenia Rōmae.

Wars and a man I sing—an exile driven on by Fate,
he was the first to flee the coast of Troy,
destined to reach Lavinian shores and Italian soil,
yet many blows he took on land and sea from the gods above—
thanks to cruel Juno's relentless rage—and many losses
he bore in battle too, before he could found a city,
bring his gods to Latium, source of the Latin race,
the Alban lords and the high walls of Rome.
(Translation by R. Fagles)

Pure magic.

For myself, it's a reminder of the Gunner Asch books by H H Kirst.
 
Pure magic.

For myself, it's a reminder of the Gunner Asch books by H H Kirst.

You've inspired me. I'm gonna go read my Comic Book Classics version of The Iliad. Which, seriously, is the version I have and it's great! My Dad gave it to me when I was about 8 or something when I got interested in some of the old classics and it got me hooked. I've got the "Age of Bronze" series too. Classics for illiterates :D

I confess, I have not read "The Aeneid", but some quick research on Amazon shows me I have found something at my level..... coz that Latin.... OMG.... :eek:

51PYiQBAS%2BL.jpg
51w0amfi%2BBL.jpg
618yYIKKPrL._SX344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
 
Last edited:
Dust Tracks on a Road by Zora Neale Hurston

This is her autobiography and her consummate story-telling ability shines through but it is, as Maya Angelou said it is a "puzzling book." I'm only a few chapters in.
 
Sarah Gailey, "River of Teeth". Back in the early 20th century, some bright sparks seriously proposed ranch-farming hippos in the USA. This is a western set in an alternate history where that happened. Our hero rides a specially-bred riding hippo with gold-plated tusks.
 
My printer's user manual. Who knew that changing cartridges was so non-trivial? I miss an inked ribbon. Otherwise, The Worlds of Nam June Paik occupies and entertains me.
 
Back
Top