Healthy Eating/Fitness Goals? Check in here!

That won't help you get enough sodium in your diet, though. Let's solve that question first.

Whilst I do appreciate your kind assistance, I think you've misread the question :D

I know of several ways of increasing my sodium intake, but my query was is it necessary in order to improve or maintain my health?

Re: Sodium Minima

Lally, here's a source for you.

Key takeaway:
The National Heart Lung and Blood Association reports that 500 mg is a safe daily minimum intake of sodium. This amount will be enough to maintain the bodily functions that require sodium. In an average temperate climate, a normal adult may be able to thrive with as little as 115 mg of sodium each day. Because most foods contain at least a small amount of natural sodium, it is difficult to drop below the minimum recommendation even on an extremely low-sodium diet.​

Lally, here's a source for you.

Key takeaway:
The National Heart Lung and Blood Association reports that 500 mg is a safe daily minimum intake of sodium. This amount will be enough to maintain the bodily functions that require sodium. In an average temperate climate, a normal adult may be able to thrive with as little as 115 mg of sodium each day. Because most foods contain at least a small amount of natural sodium, it is difficult to drop below the minimum recommendation even on an extremely low-sodium diet.​

That's perfect - exactly what I was looking for :D Thank you :rose:

And the problem with sodium is, that salt tastes good, and is really, really cheap.

That means, that the food producers can raise their earnings, by adding more salt.

I can't buy reasonably priced chicken breasts that have not been "enhanced" by pumping them full of brine!
:mad:

On the happy side: Weather is great and I'm slowly adding length to the runs. 12K and a swim yesterday, and not even sore today.
And the morning weight is stable just below 75 kilos.

I crave salty foods. You could wave a chocolate bar under my nose and I wouldn't bat an eye, but a salty snack? All bets are off.

I crave salty foods. You could wave a chocolate bar under my nose and I wouldn't bat an eye, but a salty snack? All bets are off.

Oh, I'm completely the other way :D Chocolate is the only thing that I can carry on eating even though every part of my body is begging me to not put any more in my mouth.

Therefore, I avoid it as much as possible, but according to this food website, I'm still taking in too much sugar in the form of fresh fruit, which I've found very surprising.

Oh, I'm completely the other way :D Chocolate is the only thing that I can carry on eating even though every part of my body is begging me to not put any more in my mouth.

Therefore, I avoid it as much as possible, but according to this food website, I'm still taking in too much sugar in the form of fresh fruit, which I've found very surprising.

Ah, the foible of too much fresh fruit. How much is too much?

I have a friend who is into ultra-marathons (races of 100 miles or more in length). She told me recently of a fellow ultra-marathoner who eats only fruit. Ever. He owns four refrigerators, buys fruit by the case, and consumes thousands of calories every day in fruit. And he generally wins his age class when he runs.

Ah, the foible of too much fresh fruit. How much is too much?

I have a friend who is into ultra-marathons (races of 100 miles or more in length). She told me recently of a fellow ultra-marathoner who eats only fruit. Ever. He owns four refrigerators, buys fruit by the case, and consumes thousands of calories every day in fruit. And he generally wins his age class when he runs.

Unfortunately, I don't think I run enough to burn off the amount of fruit that I eat!

To be honest, I've found the whole thing a revelation. Because of family high cholesterol, I've avoided fats for years, and I'm not keen on the usual carbs such as rice and pasta. So my diet has been mainly fruit and salad with low fat proteins. I do tend to binge on fruit though.

According to this website I'm using, I've got the balance too far the other way, and would have a better balance with more carbs and less sugar. So I've been giving it a try and have started to lose weight and feel better.

Back when I was a bicycle messenger in San Francisco, I consumed (and expended) vast amounts of caffeine, and brown rice with bits of vegs and meat thrown in, and white port wine. Vigorous exercise burns-off many dietary imperfections.

As for chocolate vs salt -- have'em both! Dark choc with rock-salt xtals is a treat! I have chronic low blood pressure so I justify salty foods to keep my BP up. Yum.

As it happens, I consume a fair amount of cocoa, not chocolate. I mix my cocoa with non-sugar sweeteners, non- or low-fat nut milks, and occasional spices: vanilla, chili, orange, cloves, cinnamon, allspice, etc. I skip the fat & calories of commercial chocolate.

Well, Ending a week long break. Walked 2 miles monday and thats it. Good time for a break due to various after work activities.

I have been wanting to work out...so thats a good thing to feel.

Sunday I am learning some jiu-jitsu, so that will jump start my workout.

I would be much more inclined to exercise if they made those cool light-up sneakers in grown-up sizes.

The thing is, not all sugar is the same, just as not all fats are the same, nor all sodium is the same.

Websites are good for keeping track what and how much you eat, but otherwise, it does not distinguish between fructose, sucrose, galactose - just to name a few. Even sucrose - that is 'processed' sugar - has different types which the body processes differently.

Unless you have a condition that requires a strict diet (and only a doctor can tell you that, not you, I'm sorry to say), you should aim eat a well-balanced diet, that is mostly non-processed (that is about 90% scratch-made) that includes different types of proteins, healthy fats, healthy amounts of sugars and healthy amounts of sodium and forget the grammes of how much sodium or sugar you are eating (again, UNLESS you have been instructed by your doctor otherwise, in which case, they would have given you a diet and/or recommended that you check in with a dietician). What is important is to make sure your nutrients are balanced, making sure one consumes within their caloric intake and consumes enough protein, carbs, fats and yes, even the dreaded sugar and sodium. And an occasional indulgence is not only acceptable, but it is a good way of making sure you stay on track.

I'm preaching, I know :eek:, but having struggled for years to be balanced in their diet (and having destroyed my digestive system because of it), I've learned quite a bit from the professionals when I got myself back on track. Being too strict in your diet if you medically do not need this can destroy your body. Trust me, it ain't fun :rose:

I would be much more inclined to exercise if they made those cool light-up sneakers in grown-up sizes.
Right? My girls used to love light-up shoes, but I think they've all outgrown them now. :(

Time to get back on topic!

13.6k run yesterday.

Spring has come, and it was the first time this year it was warm enough to wear a T-shirt running.
Sun was shining, birds were singing.... It is just so much better than when it is cold, windy or sleety.

:D

Still doing the cardio for the partner challenge my husband and I are taking part in.

Took a week off the weights because my left shoulder was feeling a bit sore. I think I'll be good to go on Sunday or Monday.

I just ran for 30 minutes straight for the first time in over a year!

I just ran for 30 minutes straight for the first time in over a year!

And now the hard part: keep doing it!

Unless you run at least three times a week, you will be back to square one each time you start..... And it will be hard.

You don't have to run neither fast nor far, but do yourself a favor, and do it often.
:rose:

(The marathon training has started, Lady C and I are going to ramp up the length now)

It's not so much the hour you spend training, it's what you do with the other 23. ;)

And now the hard part: keep doing it!

Unless you run at least three times a week, you will be back to square one each time you start..... And it will be hard.

You don't have to run neither fast nor far, but do yourself a favor, and do it often.
:rose:

(The marathon training has started, Lady C and I are going to ramp up the length now)
The plan is at least three days a week. I've been doing this cardio-heavy partner challenge at my husband's work gym, but we're almost finished with it. I didn't want to run in addition to the other activities I was doing.

Back