Need Help - Email is dropping Conversations with Editors

ReGats

Experienced
Okay, so I have been having an unusual problem in relation to getting editors. I can find them easily using the Volunteer Editor Program, that's not the issue. The issue is, to put it simply, my email service decides that, after a week of contact, that no further contact is necessary, and I no longer receive emails from the editors. I am unsure if they do not receive emails from me, but I am willing to bet that that is true. I do not believe it is a problem with attitude, as we're all rather civil about the editing.

For further information, I am using a Hotmail account for Literotica. I have no settings in it that would do such an oddly-specific hindrance, but neither have I touched any of the settings.

Okay, so I have been having an unusual problem in relation to getting editors. I can find them easily using the Volunteer Editor Program, that's not the issue. The issue is, to put it simply, my email service decides that, after a week of contact, that no further contact is necessary, and I no longer receive emails from the editors. I am unsure if they do not receive emails from me, but I am willing to bet that that is true. I do not believe it is a problem with attitude, as we're all rather civil about the editing.

For further information, I am using a Hotmail account for Literotica. I have no settings in it that would do such an oddly-specific hindrance, but neither have I touched any of the settings.

It may be due to Microsoft playing sill buggers with their mail systems. If you normally use something like windows live mail to read and store emails off line, they are in the process of effectively blocking that. They say you won't lose any emails and can continue to use Hotmail, live mail, outlook etc if used as web based mail or by subscribing to the latest office versions or the inbuilt mail in Windows 8 and 10. I have altered the setting for hotmail within windows live mail to use either pop3 or imap servers. Still works so far, but knowing Microsoft they will eventually block these.
There has been uproar on the Windows support sites with loads of users complaining that Microsoft are effectively dumping windows live mail and forcing their users to either use web based or the new Windows mail included in win 8 an 10 that only has part of the features of the old trusted mail, or pay out a fortune for a replacement for what is currently free software.

It may be due to Microsoft playing sill buggers with their mail systems. If you normally use something like windows live mail to read and store emails off line, they are in the process of effectively blocking that. They say you won't lose any emails and can continue to use Hotmail, live mail, outlook etc if used as web based mail or by subscribing to the latest office versions or the inbuilt mail in Windows 8 and 10. I have altered the setting for hotmail within windows live mail to use either pop3 or imap servers. Still works so far, but knowing Microsoft they will eventually block these.
There has been uproar on the Windows support sites with loads of users complaining that Microsoft are effectively dumping windows live mail and forcing their users to either use web based or the new Windows mail included in win 8 an 10 that only has part of the features of the old trusted mail, or pay out a fortune for a replacement for what is currently free software.

I use the online Hotmail/Outlook stuff. Not sure how that affects everything.

But how would I change the windows live mail server settings?

Last edited:
I use the online Hotmail/Outlook stuff. Not sure how that affects everything.

But how would I change the windows live mail server settings?

Change within Windows Live Mail Properties, Servers and under the advanced folder

For POP mail inbound server should be pop3.live.com
Port is 995 and tick the 'requires SSL connection' box

For IMAP mail inbound server should be imap-mail.outlook.com
Port is 993 and also tick the 'requires SSL connection' box.

To get imap to work you may need to 'set up a new account' using the imap inbound server details.

None of this will change anything if you use Hotmail/Outlook/Live mail through a web browser or the inbuilt apps in windows 8, 8.1 or 10. It is only for Windows Live Mail

Change within Windows Live Mail Properties, Servers and under the advanced folder

For POP mail inbound server should be pop3.live.com
Port is 995 and tick the 'requires SSL connection' box

For IMAP mail inbound server should be imap-mail.outlook.com
Port is 993 and also tick the 'requires SSL connection' box.

To get imap to work you may need to 'set up a new account' using the imap inbound server details.

None of this will change anything if you use Hotmail/Outlook/Live mail through a web browser or the inbuilt apps in windows 8, 8.1 or 10. It is only for Windows Live Mail

Nuts. Well, that's not going to work for me.

Are there any other suggestions? Anybody?

The obvious would be to start a different account, for example gmail. But you probably had that one covered...

The obvious would be to start a different account, for example gmail. But you probably had that one covered...

FWIW (I'm a new user here) - I use Gmail. I've sent queries to several editors and received exactly one response, so as an anecdotal data point, Gmail's not hitting it out of the park either. Either that or I may have randomly chosen some uncommunicative editors.

FWIW (I'm a new user here) - I use Gmail. I've sent queries to several editors and received exactly one response, so as an anecdotal data point, Gmail's not hitting it out of the park either. Either that or I may have randomly chosen some uncommunicative editors.

If you have sent contact via the VE programme, it is basically broken. It relies on the volunteers keeping their account up to date, and a lot don't.
The best option is to post a request in this forum, where you stand a better chance.
Your choice of email provider is not the problem.

Back