Literotica Comments Rant

It also made me really, seriously, take a hard look at my own tastes in kink and fetish, and whether there was something psychologically wrong with me. I obviously think I would have been better off posting it under a more fetish-centric category instead of "Loving Wives."

This was 2 weeks ago and this is the first post I have made since then, because I was so embarrassed by the whole incident I was ready to give up on the site altogether. But reading the above comments has made me feel a little better about the whole thing. I guess if there is a lesson here it is, REALLY be careful what you submit under "loving wives" category. It is interesting reading from the experiences above.

Man, that's a pretty heavy duty reflection right there, on your own kinks and fetishes. That being the case, LW was probably a trainwreck for you right from the get go.

I guess the clue is in the genre: Kinks and Fetishes....

I wouldn't be fretting about your own sexuality though. There's probably folk out there would make you look like a virgin schoolgirl by comparison. Also (depending on the kink) it might be a damn sight healthier exploring it in writing than exploring it in real life. Lesson learned - don't go to LW unless you know exactly what you're doing there!
 
You should repost your story, Pax.

Seconded. I haven't read it myself, but I'm sure it's good. To blazes with haters anyway, if you think the story is good enough, then that's all that matters.

Someone once said: "I don't know what the key to success is, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone"
 
Seconded. I haven't read it myself, but I'm sure it's good. To blazes with haters anyway, if you think the story is good enough, then that's all that matters.

Someone once said: "I don't know what the key to success is, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone"

Really good advice! I had no idea that LW was so full of bitter angry people with serious issues...But without a doubt, I believe if you're writing something that you enjoy, you'll find someone else who enjoys it too.
 
It's your call but I agree with the other people who've posted here. Ignore the trolls; write and post what you want.

My third story was posted to Loving Wives. It received some vicious and disgusting comments, and the lowest rating of any of my stories. But, on the other hand: it got lots of views and votes, and it was favorited by some people. So if I'd given in to the trolls and written over it or deleted it, the people who liked it enough to favorite it wouldn't have it. Those readers matter more than the ones who don't like it.

Developing a thick skin as a writer is a useful thing. It's good to be willing and able to take criticism, even if it's somewhat half-baked.
 
So I've been kind of torn. On one hand, I have thought that I should do as many have suggested, which is to man up, grow a thicker skin, and re-post the story. There is something to be said for that, it is true.

But the other side, the submissive male side of me you could say, wants to please people- even knowing that it is impossible to please everybody. And because that part of me felt like he had displeased so many people- by posting a story that made so many people upset and angry, I have been filled with remorse about it. Especially since it felt like being publicly shamed for sharing a BDSM-themed sexual fantasy.

I am considering doing a re-write of one of my original stories, but it will be posted in a fetish or BDSM content category, with a bold disclaimer stating that if people are upset by activities including female domination, whips, golden showers, and cuckolding, that there is no need to continue reading- hopefully that will help weed out some of the less fetish-tolerant audience. It will certainly not be posted in "loving wives," that goes without saying. And I may or may not allow comments- I believe there is a way to disallow them.
 
Well, this isn't a place where people are going to uniformly express pleasure in whatever you post, so just take that as reality in your consideration what to do. Beyond that, the decision is yours alone.
 
I understand that. But I didn't expect people to be so nasty. My experiences on this site have been almost entirely positive so I was a bit blindsided. I still don't understand why anyone would finish reading a story that they weren't enjoying but it just shows how desperate some people are for attention.
 
I understand that. But I didn't expect people to be so nasty. My experiences on this site have been almost entirely positive so I was a bit blindsided. I still don't understand why anyone would finish reading a story that they weren't enjoying but it just shows how desperate some people are for attention.

I asked myself the same thing. The one time I submitted a story to Loving Wives, I received my worst story score, by far, and lots of savage comments -- but hundreds of votes! That made no sense to me.

But I thought about it and realized that one reason -- and a reason that might apply to a lot of stories in this category -- is that there's a certain kind of LW reader that wants to get through to the end of the story, even if it pisses him off, to find out if the wife gets her just desserts. And if she doesn't -- BLAM -- one bomb.

You can't feel bad about it as the author. It doesn't matter how well you wrote the story. You didn't give that reader what he wanted and he'll make you pay for it.

That said, however, not all LW readers are this way. There are plenty of good stories in this category with unpunished, cheating wives that get good scores (mine wasn't one of them), despite all the "cuck shit" comments.
 
I understand that. But I didn't expect people to be so nasty. My experiences on this site have been almost entirely positive so I was a bit blindsided. I still don't understand why anyone would finish reading a story that they weren't enjoying but it just shows how desperate some people are for attention.

You got the answer to this way up the thread line. You posted it to the Loving Wives category. Nasty is what a lot of those playing in that category do. If you don't want nasty, don't post stories to that category.

Beyond that, who is to say negative commenters finish reading stories--or do more than scan them for something to react to?
 
I'm new here, and also just posted my first story to........you guessed it Loving Wives. I checked back for a couple of days to see if had been accepted by the Moderator only to find that it had! How exciting for me!!! Yay. I opened up the comments section, only to find exactly the response you all have talked about. Apparently, I, use, too, many, commas! Who knew? I was laughing for a good five minutes before thinking how sad some peoples lives must be to post such hateful things.

Oh well, I think I just might write another LW story now, because they turn me on....and I'm a bit of a narcissist.
 
I'm new here, and also just posted my first story to........you guessed it Loving Wives. I checked back for a couple of days to see if had been accepted by the Moderator only to find that it had! How exciting for me!!! Yay. I opened up the comments section, only to find exactly the response you all have talked about. Apparently, I, use, too, many, commas! Who knew? I was laughing for a good five minutes before thinking how sad some peoples lives must be to post such hateful things.

Oh well, I think I just might write another LW story now, because they turn me on....and I'm a bit of a narcissist.


After writing this ^^^^^bit, I was lucky enough to have someone anonymously send me an email, to critique this post and my story. Two things Mr or Mrs Anonymous:

1. Your opinion wasn't requested.
2. I, like, commas,,,,,,,,,,,,

Honestly, when I read the stories here, there are some that are so poorly written that I have a hard time getting into them. Personally, I just move on to the next story, as my opinion wasn't requested. Most of the stories I have read have some errors. We are amateur writers, after all. That being said, I over look the little grammatical shit if the story makes my pee-pee hard. There have even been a couple of stories I liked so much I sent a message to the author letting them know how wonderful their work was. (I like to be nice)

I suspect if Anonymous really wanted to be helpful they might say something along the lines of, "Hey, I read your story. I really liked it. I did notice a few grammatical errors. If you ever decide write another story, please send it to me at xxx@grammarnazi.com and I would love to proof it for you!"

I look forward to your help, Anonymous.
 
I tend to think there are two grades of highly-exacting LW commenter.

One is whatever number of persons it is (I actually think there might be something to the speculation that it could be basically one guy or a couple of people) who calls nearly everything "cuck shit," freaks the f out if the bitch isn't burned by the end and will even follow you around to different categories to downvote your stories.

The other are the readers who are just really into "protecting the quality" on LW and who genuinely want to help people write to a high standard.

I see that you attracted both. The first type is malicious -- or at the very least just creepy -- and the reason I said what I did about LW upthread. The second type may well be annoying, but they're not necessarily malicious and they may not necessarily be wrong. (Commas guy, for example? You might not care much about that sort of detail and that's certainly your right... but I have to admit that if it was the sort of detail one did care about, he would have a point.)
 
I tend to think there are two grades of highly-exacting LW commenter.

One is whatever number of persons it is (I actually think there might be something to the speculation that it could be basically one guy or a couple of people) who calls nearly everything "cuck shit," freaks the f out if the bitch isn't burned by the end and will even follow you around to different categories to downvote your stories.

The other are the readers who are just really into "protecting the quality" on LW and who genuinely want to help people write to a high standard.

I see that you attracted both. The first type is malicious -- or at the very least just creepy -- and the reason I said what I did about LW upthread. The second type may well be annoying, but they're not necessarily malicious and they may not necessarily be wrong. (Commas guy, for example? You might not care much about that sort of detail and that's certainly your right... but I have to admit that if it was the sort of detail one did care about, he would have a point.)

I think there are nice ways of offering constructive criticism and there are those that are just dicks. Even if comma guy was right, perhaps he/she could check to see if the author wants the help or not.....or just be a dick.
 
There are better and worse ways to go about it, to be sure, but if it's the same guy who commented in the thread he didn't seem that far out of line (maybe he was more dickish by PM).

In general you can probably expect readers to assume that you will want to hear about barriers to readability like grammatical errors, as that's a very common sort of thing for authors to want to know about and improve on. So that's not something I would take personally, whether or not you find the critiques useful or they were something you'd say yourself.

I guess if you're really adamant about not wanting that sort of critique you can let readers know right off the top of the stories that all remarks about commas will be deleted. Point is that's not an example of LW's unique brand of cock-mongering, it would be a mundane observation in any category.
 
Last edited:
Loving Wives

It is true that vitriolic comments are more readily thrown at the writer in LW, but it is also true that the vast, vast amount of LW readers do not comment, do not throw insults, and even eagerly await the next story of a broken marriage, a vengeful spouse, or even the occasional amicable breakup. The category is oxymoronically named and defined; perhaps it was named ironically, but it gives a reader a tomato and says either eat it or throw it at the author on the stage.

I picked up a troll when I posted a story in LW, and it has affectionately visited all my other stories most days since. His repeated comment is insulting, profane, and inaccurate, so I am certain it responds not to content but to ratings, or perhaps to the tenor of the first comments.

I toy with turning off comments, but I have garnered some quite moving statements that have touched me.

Literotica is the best and worst of anonymity, both in the product and the reactions to it. There are many stories here that are poor quality, poor class, and poor. But the anonymous insult to a writer trying to entertain or write meaningfully is crass and discouraging.

Malraux
 
I don't get it. Maybe it's me. I thought his site was supposed to be fun, a place to share experiences and fantasies. A place to record your memories and desires and share them with like-minded people. I've been coming to his site for years, even before I had an account. It was always fun, always erotic. When i started adding my own stories, I loved the feedback, the encouragement.

I recently uploaded a story, Affair with a Married Couple. I'll admit it was rushed. It had been on my mind for a while and I just wanted to get it written down. Usually I'll read and reread any stories and edit as needed but I had had a few drinks and figured 'what he hell'. So much for the warm encouragement.

"Just two dogs fucking." an anonymous reader said. What does that even mean?

"At least you did it in one page." said another. Do people really want to read a novel or a long winded explaination? To be honest the first thing I check when I pull up a story is it's length. I'll read a page, page and a half. More than that and I loose interest. What's wrong with keeping it short and breaking it up into chapters so people can come back if they like it or move on? This guy also said "turned a threesome story into cuck crap". Nowhere does it say it's a threesome. It's tagged as a cuckold story.....in fact cuckold is the first tag! If you don't like a certain topic, don't search it or check the tags before you spend your time reading the story. Is the concept that complicated?

I got an email about the story...." No chapter # in the title to warn this wasn't a complete story ALWAYS earns an automatic rating of 1." Is that a rule I wasn't aware of? I didn't say there was going to be another chapter. Where did this jacktard get this from? Will there be another chapter? Maybe, I haven't decided yet. And what's with the anonymous​ responses? If you have something to say, say it. Don't hide. We are all grown ups.

This is one of my favorites: "Drop the true story crap. No one believes a word coming out of your mouth and telling us this is true just makes us laugh and does nothing for the lousy story." This happened. Maybe not exactly but I do say it is "mostly" true. I fluffed it up a little to make it more readable. Other stories I wrote are based on really too. Matt and Tom? Yeah, not one of my proudest moments. Maybe I'm really lucky. I've had some great experiences in my life. All my stories have some truth to them. Maybe I lived it or maybe someone I know did. I'd like to think that we all have had some good times sexually. If you haven't, I sincerely feel sorry for you. But don't ruin everyone elses fun. Maybe your attitude is the reason why you don't have any hot experiences to share. The great thing about this site is there are a million (maybe more) stories here. If you get a paragraph or two into one and don't like where it's going.....Move on. Why read a story that doesn't interest you? This isn't assigned reading.

Swingerjoe said, "It's a fun story, but without any background, there isn't much of a story here. Who are these people? Why are they doing this? What was said during those chat sessions? What happened as a result of this?"

I give props to Joe for not hiding behind anonymity. As I said, I rushed this and he called me out on it. And at least the criticism is constructive. The character development was not my best but does it really matters who they are? I met them online, they are a horny married couple. And does anyone really want me to drivel on about little conversations in chat messages? If they were hot I would have mentioned them. And what happened as a result? Really? The encounter ended. Why drag it out? It leaves me the option to continue the story if I desire. It's nice to know I left him wanting more. Regardless, he doesn't need to be so high school English teacher-y about it. Maybe he is the twat waffle that sent that email.

Let's get back to having fun here. If you don't like a story, find one that you do. There is no need for snarky remarks or low ratings. If its not your cup of tea just keep looking. You'll find something you like here. Constructive criticism is fine but leave the nastiness at the door. Remember, this is just a site for amateur writers to share their stories. If you want expertly written literature, try Barnes and Nobles.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Forget about the whiners here
 
I have no problem with constructive criticism. It's all part of posting on a site like this. What is fucked up is that the comments in LW are intentionally disrespectful. Just take a look at some of the comments over there. I'm not even sure what kind of story belongs over there because they attack everyone! And the people making many of the comments haven't submitted any stories. They are just pathetic, lonely old men that have never enjoyed the company of a women and feel the need to harrass those of us who have. It's very sad.

Two things: First, try to scrub the phrase 'constructive criticism' from your brain. Feedback is feedback, and even the most polite, carefully worded critique is, at the end of the day, just some asshole's opinion. Unless it's mine, of course. Feedback tells you a lot about the people who give it, no matter what they say or how they say it. Look at it like a demographic survey, not a love letter.

Second: Although I have yet to publish here, this thread really makes me want to publish in Loving Wives. The only thing holding me back is the feeling that I should go read a bunch of the stories there so I know what I'm supposed to be doing. I don't know if I can bring myself to do that without knowing in advance how ironic the category title is meant to be.
 
It is true that vitriolic comments are more readily thrown at the writer in LW, but it is also true that the vast, vast amount of LW readers do not comment, do not throw insults, and even eagerly await the next story of a broken marriage, a vengeful spouse, or even the occasional amicable breakup. The category is oxymoronically named and defined; perhaps it was named ironically, but it gives a reader a tomato and says either eat it or throw it at the author on the stage.


Malraux

Thank you for this. I may now be brave enough to go over there and read some of the stories.
 
All I can say is... illegitimi non carborundum. Common translation: Don't let the bastards get you down.

People hide behind anonymity so they can say shit and never have to be held accountable. Don't let it get to you. ... And apparently, don't post in Loving Wives again. :/

Also... from my experience reading, I have seen negative comments when there is anything by male-female relations in a lot of categories - like Erotic Coupling, etc. Maybe the best place to get feedback for a story involving a couple and another person is in group sex, where readers will be expecting that kind of relationship.

Best of luck.
 
Two things: First, try to scrub the phrase 'constructive criticism' from your brain. Feedback is feedback, and even the most polite, carefully worded critique is, at the end of the day, just some asshole's opinion. Unless it's mine, of course. Feedback tells you a lot about the people who give it, no matter what they say or how they say it. Look at it like a demographic survey, not a love letter..

Making the comment "more cuck shit" isn't feedback. That's just some sad guy sitting in his underwear stroking his cock in front of his computer because no woman wants him. There are enough variations Ina story that it can be squeezed into different categories away from the pathetic assholes that longer in LW.

What kind of story fits in LW anyway? If my wife sucks my friends cock, would that fit or does she only have to have sex with me? What if I watch her suck his cock with my blessing? Is that "cuck shit". What if it's someone else's wife in have sex with? Would she still be a loving wife? Once it becomes too narrow a category it probably should be absorbed by another category, like fetish. Just saying.
 
Feedback?

Two things: First, try to scrub the phrase 'constructive criticism' from your brain. Feedback is feedback, and even the most polite, carefully worded critique is, at the end of the day, just some asshole's opinion. Unless it's mine, of course. Feedback tells you a lot about the people who give it, no matter what they say or how they say it. Look at it like a demographic survey, not a love letter..

Making the comment "more cuck shit" isn't feedback. That's just some sad guy sitting in his underwear stroking his cock in front of his computer because no woman wants him. There are enough variations in a story that it can be squeezed into different categories away from the pathetic assholes that linger in LW.

What kind of story fits in LW anyway? If my wife sucks my friends cock, would that fit or does she only have to have sex with me? What if I watch her suck his cock with my blessing? Is that "cuck shit". What if it's someone else's wife i have sex with? Would she still be a loving wife? Once it becomes too narrow a category it probably should be absorbed by another category, like fetish. Just saying.
 
I'll be completely honest loving wives is hit or miss for me. Some stories are really engaging others I find husbands behavior kind of a turn off. It is not my thing if the husband in the story likes being abused one my wife's new playmates. If I read at least half and it was decently written then I usually give it a rating. The rating is base on the quality of the writing and story flow. The story might not do it for me but it doesn't mean I can't recognize good writing or story flow. I keep my comments to myself. I think it safe to assume most of us that write here are writing about things that turn us on. It is not for me to tell someone their kink is gross, weird, dumb or anything else like that.

I save my comments for people asking for feedback in the beginning of their story. If they don't put that I assume they are not looking for any.

After having read stories on here for the last 15+ years I finally submitted one of my own for the first time. This whole thread makes me glad I went with the story I did and not the one about a married woman. I don't think I would enjoyed my possible feedback. I consider myself warned about Loving Wives.
 
Back
Top