Why is everyone so fucking stupid?

education

I think it's because people don't pay attention anymore and they are to busy to actually get an education while they are in school, or even after they leave school.

I deal with the public every day and I cannot believe how stupid people really are about common facts or what should be just everyday common sense things.

This thought has been crossing my mind a lot.
At the same time as you repress violent urges, perchance?
I think it's because people don't pay attention anymore and they are to busy to actually get an education while they are in school, or even after they leave school.

I deal with the public every day and I cannot believe how stupid people really are about common facts or what should be just everyday common sense things.
I think it's more than that. Too much emphasis on teaching to memorise "facts", and not enough on analysis, questioning and reasoning.

Inflexibility of mind is a tragedy.

I take it as a given in daily interactions. It means I am often pleasantly surprised, and rarely disappointed.

George Bernard Shaw, I think, wrote more than a hundred years ago that many people would rather die than think and, in fact, frequently do. It's hard to be human, a little lower than the angels.
You work with people whose minds are yet to ossify. Surprises should come as no surprise.

Why is it that when I ask a question on a product forum about how to use a product, people 'answer' a different question that wasn't asked?

I think it's more than that. Too much emphasis on teaching to memorise "facts", and not enough on analysis, questioning and reasoning.

You may have just read my mind.

Why is it that when I ask a question on a product forum about how to use a product, people 'answer' a different question that wasn't asked?

They care more about what they have to say than what you've asked.

Common sense is not common at all. But children have to be taught how to think critically. First you teach the word car, then you teach truck. then you teach the color of the car to help the child distinguish between colors,, etc. "Look at the car. Car" "Look at the blue car. Blue car." When a toddler asks, "Why?" Then someone has to give the child an answer. According to the commercials I have been seeing, it is no longer the parents' job to teach the child anything. Now it is Siri's job. I am not saying the parent has to know everything, but even saying, "I don't know, we will have to findout," is a teaching opportunity for your child to learn how to make choices which lead to critical thinking.

Adults today have their children in strollers or the shopping cart but you don't hear them say, "Look at the tree or the cloud or the orange." They are too busy paying attention to their phones or listening to their headsets. I have seen two parents each focused on their own screens while their toddler had a handheld game. No one talked to anyone, no one pointed anything out, no one took the opportunity to teach language or thinking or questioning." It is one of the saddest things I have seen.

Which is the basis of the common core standards: analysis, multiple perspectives, different ways to get to one answer. Yet people vilify this way of teaching because it isn't teaching rote facts.

Ah, I didn't count them, and of course you are right. The joys of teaching, number absolutely one. :rose:

I meant adults. And not even adults I work with, who have every reason in their generally fortunate lives to be clever, and almost all are. But people outside can often be wonderfully surprising. I met a lovely bus driver the other day who began a conversation about refugees I confess I thought was going to be really tricky, and was quite the opposite.

I think I probably have less than two hours of actual communication in an average day... a conversation with my eldest during the work commute, a catch-up with my youngest in the evening, a little office banter on arrival and departure, and a pat on the head for the Ape.

It's great.

Common sense is not common at all. But children have to be taught how to think critically. First you teach the word car, then you teach truck. then you teach the color of the car to help the child distinguish between colors,, etc. "Look at the car. Car" "Look at the blue car. Blue car." When a toddler asks, "Why?" Then someone has to give the child an answer. According to the commercials I have been seeing, it is no longer the parents' job to teach the child anything. Now it is Siri's job. I am not saying the parent has to know everything, but even saying, "I don't know, we will have to findout," is a teaching opportunity for your child to learn how to make choices which lead to critical thinking.

Adults today have their children in strollers or the shopping cart but you don't hear them say, "Look at the tree or the cloud or the orange." They are too busy paying attention to their phones or listening to their headsets. I have seen two parents each focused on their own screens while their toddler had a handheld game. No one talked to anyone, no one pointed anything out, no one took the opportunity to teach language or thinking or questioning." It is one of the saddest things I have seen.
Saying hello to the trees and flowers together didn't stop my generation from growing up to be ignorant cunts. Maybe YouTube will do a better job than our parents did.
...or maybe we're all doomed.

Pardon me dear Dolf, but aren't you as guiltily as those you accuse?

I remember when you were open to logical dialog.

Are you confusing stupid with ignorant? If a person is unaware of a fact that is common knowledge, that person is ignorant, at least on that subject, but may not actually be stupid.

They're too cheap to pay for the common sense package? :D

It's a valid question.

It’s most definitely a valid question!
In my defence, when I was born the government shutdown all the heavy industry in the Glasgow area. The net result a generation on, joblessness, poverty and social unrest. Today, the education system still in turmoil, the NHS underfunded, homelessness at an all time high, the attainment gap at an all time high, the list goes on and on.
Yes I’m fucking stupid compared to you, but the real question here is, how do you rate stupid?
Education?
Financial success?
Position in life?

If stupidity = happiness, then I’m a WINNER at life, how happy are you?
It’s a valid question!

I'd give anything to be smart and to be able to read or hear something and go, "Oh, okay, that's makes sense," instead of, "Huh?"

People have always been stupid, it's just that the stupid are a lot louder these days.

Back