Printer problem

MagicFingers

Literotica Guru
I have a like new Epson WF2530 4 in 1 printer. I'd had a lot of problems since the starter blk ink ran out. After buying 2 cartridges from 2 places, could not get them to print blk, and ran the ink out of the red and blue. (Sorry, we didn't have Cyan & Magenta when I was a kid! lol) The replacement were 123Inkjet and Inkfarm, which I have used for many years in my old HP printer with no problem!

Anyway, after having to buy a whole set of ink, it now lets me print blk, which is all I want. The problem is that it only prints every other line or so.
Changed the blk cartridge to another new one and now get 2 good lines of print, one faint, and one white line -no ink. (Text lines about 10-12 point)

I cannot find this on line. The closest thing is narrow horizontal lines through the printed lines, which requires nozzle cleaning. Not my problem?
Anyone know what's wrong? thanks, MF

I realized it looks similar to this post above, 2 good lines, a blank line, 2 good lines

Last edited:
I have a like new Epson WF2530 4 in 1 printer. I'd had a lot of problems since the starter blk ink ran out. After buying 2 cartridges from 2 places, could not get them to print blk, and ran the ink out of the red and blue. (Sorry, we didn't have Cyan & Magenta when I was a kid! lol) The replacement were 123Inkjet and Inkfarm, which I have used for many years in my old HP printer with no problem!

Anyway, after having to buy a whole set of ink, it now lets me print blk, which is all I want. The problem is that it only prints every other line or so.
Changed the blk cartridge to another new one and now get 2 good lines of print, one faint, and one white line -no ink. (Text lines about 10-12 point)

I cannot find this on line. The closest thing is narrow horizontal lines through the printed lines, which requires nozzle cleaning. Not my problem?
Anyone know what's wrong? thanks, MF

I realized it looks similar to this post above, 2 good lines, a blank line, 2 good lines

My Epson 3520 all in one does the same thing frequently. I have to run a nozzle clean almost every time I use it. Probably because I don't use it enough.

Yes, low use is one reason I found

My Epson 3520 all in one does the same thing frequently. I have to run a nozzle clean almost every time I use it. Probably because I don't use it enough.
Do you have whole lines of text missing?
I'm trying to avoid head cleaning because it uses up a 4 inks and you can't just run black. Thinking about trying manual cleaning.

Do you have whole lines of text missing?
I'm trying to avoid head cleaning because it uses up a 4 inks and you can't just run black. Thinking about trying manual cleaning.
The last printer I owned was an Epson. Since I print very seldom, the print head got clogged to the point even disassembly and soaking in a solvent didn't clear the nozzles. Unless you print at least a dozen pages a day, you're never going to get error free printing from an Epson.

Your best option is to replace the printer with one that has the print nozzles built into the ink cartridge.

I had a similar problem with a different printer. I was buying the Office Max ink. After the problem ruined my printer, I learned that office max brand and many other "generic" ink companies actually refill used ink cartridges. The rent-a-tech from the printer company recommended that I never buy off brand ink unless I know it isn't a used cartridge "because you'll never know when you're going to get a bad one."
I followed his advice and bought a new printer so that I could start over.

I (briefly) had an Epson printer that misbehaved in all sorts of ways. It seems that they don't like any ink cartridges other than Epson. :(

No, they only like Epson cartridges

But they do allow them after a warning, and I have used them for years with my old HP printer. The only reason I stopped using it was the lack of a driver for Win7, and no parallel port and only USB1 port.

WH, Hi, great to see you still lurking around like me.
My first printer was an Epson 9 pin dot matrix. the second was a 24pin. :)
Very reliable and cheap. Is is nice to have individual ink cartridges, and ones that don't quit working when they have 30% left.

I read a lot and tried 2 tricks: I manually cleaned the nozzles/heads with a folded paper towel under them and Windex w/amonia and it got a lot of stuff out. Printing was better but still bad. You have to position the ink for refilling, UNPLUG it, remove the cartridges, do the cleaning, dry everything, put it back together.
Plan 2 was to turn on high quality color and print the Word text document. It prints the whole page black with no problems. This should use less ink than a nozzle clean procedure through the printer or software. Then when I go back to black ink only, now get 3 good lines and one blank, repeating down the page.
But this tells me the problem must be there at the blk printhead?

Might try more cleaning. Any other ideas? Thanks, friends. MF

" it now lets me print blk, which is all I want. "

Get a low cost laser for printing black, the cheap ones get you about 2000 pages per toner fill, pro models get you 10K pages per toner fill.

I got a new printer, this Epson

" it now lets me print blk, which is all I want. "

Get a low cost laser for printing black, the cheap ones get you about 2000 pages per toner fill, pro models get you 10K pages per toner fill.
Yes, that's good advice for a business, but I only print a few pages a month, but sometimes need the scanner, copier, and even fax, and Sometimes need color. Figuring out how to make this one last 15 years like the HP 880!

I was suggesting to have both, the inkjet for color and get into the habit of printing a test page once a week, and the laser for BW that always works. They are under $100, some well under, and much more economical for BW printing.

This is why I bought a Canon. Picked it up a Walmart for $29.95 four years ago and haven't had a single problem with it. It prints, it scans, it copies all for under $30.

But they do allow them after a warning, and I have used them for years with my old HP printer. The only reason I stopped using it was the lack of a driver for Win7, and no parallel port and only USB1 port.

WH, Hi, great to see you still lurking around like me.
My first printer was an Epson 9 pin dot matrix. the second was a 24pin. :)
Very reliable and cheap. Is is nice to have individual ink cartridges, and ones that don't quit working when they have 30% left.

I read a lot and tried 2 tricks: I manually cleaned the nozzles/heads with a folded paper towel under them and Windex w/amonia and it got a lot of stuff out. Printing was better but still bad. You have to position the ink for refilling, UNPLUG it, remove the cartridges, do the cleaning, dry everything, put it back together.
Plan 2 was to turn on high quality color and print the Word text document. It prints the whole page black with no problems. This should use less ink than a nozzle clean procedure through the printer or software. Then when I go back to black ink only, now get 3 good lines and one blank, repeating down the page.
But this tells me the problem must be there at the blk printhead?

Might try more cleaning. Any other ideas? Thanks, friends. MF

Does seem like a clogged print head, so another cleaning might be in order. I'm not familiar with that printer, but here's an oddball suggestion that could help. Most cartridges have copper or gold contacts, try cleaning those. One way to clean those would be with the eraser of a good old fashioned #2 pencil.

Does seem like a clogged print head, so another cleaning might be in order. I'm not familiar with that printer, but here's an oddball suggestion that could help. Most cartridges have copper or gold contacts, try cleaning those. One way to clean those would be with the eraser of a good old fashioned #2 pencil.

Or a Q-tip dipped in 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol.

I have an HP LaserJet 1018 which prints black only. I use about 500 pages a month and the replacement toner cartridges, NOT HP but clones, last for several months.

I also have a 4in1 printer that does colour photo printing. It costs me more to print 10 colour sheets than 500 black sheets - because the print heads need cleaning every time I use it.

My LaserJet cost me £30 four years ago. Replacement toner? Normally £12 or less if on offer. If the toner starts to run out, removing the cartridge and shaking it gives me another 50 pages.

Yes

Yes, it does seem to be clogged nozzles, hut I couldn't understand why a whole line or two of text would be missing. Wish I knew how these new-fangled devices work so I can understand it better, cause that's what I like to do.

Yes, all the "New" 5 pack of refilled cartridges I got had filthy dirty contacts! I cleaned them and the finger contacts in the printer with 91% Alcohol and q-tips before I put them in! (I was in electronics for about 40 years)

I manually cleaned the heads again and it was not quite fixed. Ran Nozzle clean program and it is finally working. Using Standard instead of Draft might help too. Hope I have color ink left because I did discover that this printer will not print black if a color is out of ink!

Last edited:
Thanks, Ogg of Bashan

I have an HP LaserJet 1018 which prints black only. I use about 500 pages a month and the replacement toner cartridges, NOT HP but clones, last for several months.

I also have a 4in1 printer that does colour photo printing. It costs me more to print 10 colour sheets than 500 black sheets - because the print heads need cleaning every time I use it.

My LaserJet cost me £30 four years ago. Replacement toner? Normally £12 or less if on offer. If the toner starts to run out, removing the cartridge and shaking it gives me another 50 pages.
Yes, they tell you to shake the "new" ones and that's a good tip to remember for any printer, I would suppose.
As I mentioned, I used refilled cartridges for 15 years with my old HP880 and only had one bad one, which they replaced in one day! I do trust 123Inkjet and Inkfarm, but I think it was Inkfarm who sent me the dirty contacts, and the hole covers in the wrong place. - gonna tell them.

Thanks, Everyone. Back to finish my story and ready for Taxes now. Arrgh:)

Last edited:
I have a like new Epson WF2530 4 in 1 printer...
In the Printer world, you have to pick sides, and both main characters are villains. The printer company screwing you with their prices and attempts to block you from refilling or recycling, and the chinese counterfeiters screwing you (but inexpensively) and possibly subverting intended patent laws or conducting industrial espionage (depends on the printer brand and a few other variables). I take the approach that both are equally evil.

• If you are patient AND a cheapskate, go remanufactured, refillable, or aftermarket. Then go print a collage using 16 sheets of paper of Batman at Midnight, and feel absolutely no concern over all the ink you're using. Print a couple extra solid black rectangles, the full size of the sheet of paper. It's empowering, to not care about the price of the ink. :D
  • If you're patient but not a cheapskate, or a cheapskate but not patient, it's a little more complicated. You'll most likely try aftermarket or refilling once, maybe more than once, but you'll be irritated the first time you have problems, and will give it up quickly.
  • If you are neither patient nor a cheapskate, don't even try. Keep spending the $20 or more for the OEM cartridges.
  • I don't think there's an in between. For me, when I get a pack of 20 cartridges for the same price as one black cartridge from Amazon, I'm thrilled. And I take it in stride when it happens (only once so far) that a cartridge is an unmitigated dud. I have 4 more in my pack of 20, and I remember how little I paid. Other people, they spend their $20 or more on one black cartridge and are content spending that every time.

I've had Epson printers for years, two different ones, both refilling and/or remanufactured and/or counterfeit cartridges. Before that, several years of a Canon that I also refilled (only aftermarket cartridges for that model were refillable). Lately, mainly for convenience (it's slightly more expensive) because anyone else can pop in a new cartridge, whereas only I could and/or would go through the hassle of refilling.

To the OP: Keeping in mind the dramatic price difference of the aftermarket cartridges, just run the darn print head cleaning! Twice!! :cool:

Last edited:
For what it's worth...

Virtually every printer "watermarks" each copy with serial number and date/time. It's normally done with yellow ink and sized 1 dot. Invisible for all practical purposes, unless you know where to look with your magnifying glass.

Thus, color printers won't print black & white without a color cartridge, and it's why your yellow cartridge seems to run out even when you don't print much color.

Personally, I bought new cartridges from the printer manufacturer and have refilled them almost forever.

Interesting

I know what a "Web Bug" is. In fact, Lit used to have one on page 1 of this site, to the right and centered. It's not there any more. It's like a cookie that tells the site owner information about the site's traffic, sorta, but not harmful at all. If you see a single dot on a web page for no reason, right-clk it and you can see what it contains. I didn't know they printed something like that too.

I had a full refill kit years ago, but had a lot of trouble getting it to work well. I believe it had something to do with sealing it up or making a vacuum? But, yes, I used to be poorer and could not spend $40-50 for the old HP 4 color cartridges, and I like to work on or fix stuff anyway. haha
What IS the secret?

Yeah, clean twice, print once? I got a 5 pack of 3 colors and 2 blks for $30 with free shipping from Inkfarm.

Thanks, guys. Lit's the best!

Last edited:
Back