Writing Goal for the Day?

Thunderstorm zapped the modem in my desktop computer during dinner. Damn.

Oh, bummer. Is it gone for good? We got rain today but no t-storms, although there are some in the forecast.

I don't know if it's gone for good. It won't recognize a modem. We'll have to have someone come in and look at it. And as long as the document files part is still operating, I'll have to struggle to make DVDs of all the editing work I've got in that computer copied so it's not lost.

Still 18,000 customers without power around the county and city area and I've heard reports of (and sirens) of two fire companies scooting off to the Rotunda at UVa, which for those who may not know, is one of the most notable buildings in America.

It was one of those freak storms coming off the Blue Ridge and giving no clue where it would go. We only heard about the first storm, which slipped to the north of us. I sat down to dinner, leaving the desk top on, and the second storm hit us, wham.

Re the thread, though, my novel review is on the laptop, so I can continue with that tonight.

What, no surge protector?

Yep. Gives you pause for thought, don't it?

Now it's time for someone to say "that can't happen."

Than, as usual, I'll point out that it did.

And when the computer guru comes, he'll say, "that never happens"--and he'll leave having discovered an example showing that it does.

Last edited:

And when the computer guru comes, he'll say, "that never happens"--and he'll leave having discovered an example showing that it does.

I never say "never" anything about computers, because as SR's experience shows, there's always the chance that never will happen.

Good luck on your novel.

Was your phone line connected to your computer? If so, the surge came in through the phone line, which isn't protected by your average surge protector.

Thunderstorm zapped the modem in my desktop computer during dinner. Damn.
Oh, I hate when that happens. I remember going to bed last night, thinking, "Hmm, weather report talked about thunderstorms." Knowing that my laptop ISN'T plugged in to a surge protector, I ended up unplugging it from the wall, even though it was off. Better safe than sorry. I hope that you'll be able to recover everything, sr.

Tatyana, your husband's story about the German businessmen cracked me up. I've had a similar experience with HS exchange students wondering why the boys at the redneck school they were in for the year giggled everytime they said, "I can't (whatever)." It didn't help that the young lady telling me the story had learned English with a British pronunciation. :O

No writing goals for me over the weekend. I rarely get anything done anyway, so if I manage it, I treat it as a pleasant surprise. However, I've probably gone and completely fucked up a lot of planned stories. Yesterday, I auditioned for a play with a local community theatre group and won a role. Fortunately, I'll be in one scene only, unlike last year when I was in all BUT one scene.

I hope that you'll be able to recover everything, sr.

Thanks. The only files I can't get to in it now are the e-mail history. I managed to back everything else I didn't have elsewhere also onto disks last evening.

So, today can be a review day of the next habu novel to be published--a sweeping American history of immigration one set in Massachusetts.

(finished my 70th Christmas card last evening too.)

Was your phone line connected to your computer? If so, the surge came in through the phone line, which isn't protected by your average surge protector.

Tat, you're right, I hadn't thought of that. I have surge protectors on all my electronics (the thought of replacing the hardware, to say nothing of losing the software and all the stored files, is too appalling to contemplate). But the phoneline, even with VoIP and a cable modem, is the weak link. Off to google surge protectors for cable modems.

Oh, now that I sent off my fetish story for publication, my goal is to start Ch 4 of A New Birth of Freedom--after some creative procrastination.

Okay, I scanned in a lot of pics, including some from my wedding, which isn't writing but was something that needed doing in case we ever lose the hard copies. Plus I found two albums from way back when and scanned those, too.

In between scanning pages I have in fact been typing up an outline for another story. Easier to do that than to try to write on the others while the kiddies are around.

But now dinner looms and although I have chicken to cook, I have no idea what to do with it.

Tat, you're right, I hadn't thought of that. I have surge protectors on all my electronics (the thought of replacing the hardware, to say nothing of losing the software and all the stored files, is too appalling to contemplate). But the phoneline, even with VoIP and a cable modem, is the weak link. Off to google surge protectors for cable modems.

Oh, now that I sent off my fetish story for publication, my goal is to start Ch 4 of A New Birth of Freedom--after some creative procrastination.

It wants the ieframe.dll reinstalled--and to do that, naturally, you have to be connected to the Internet--the Internet you can't get to because the ieframe.dll has an error in it.

Doncha just love computers?

We're calling in the reserves. I paid for my son's doctorate in computer science, so he should be good for some support.

The good news: I think I have a new dissertation topic.

:nana::nana::nana::nana:

This is topic number five. So data gnomes, evil politicians, file destruction practices, and unfortunate retirements... stay away from my new topic. :mad:

The bad news: I think this means I'm going to have to spend most of my writing time on a new proposal. It's such a bummer when RL gets in the way of hobbies. :rolleyes:

I hope I can make some progress tonight on a new chapter of an ongoing story at the library. Then back to google scholar and proposal writing tomorrow.

But now dinner looms and although I have chicken to cook, I have no idea what to do with it.

You're killing me, PL. Just killing me.

It won't help now, but this ("pollo diablo") has never failed to impress and it's really simple.

Best of luck, SR and estragon, and glad I could provide some entertainment, annanova.

Last edited:

The bad news: I think this means I'm going to have to spend most of my writing time on a new proposal. It's such a bummer when RL gets in the way of hobbies. :rolleyes:

I hope I can make some progress tonight on a new chapter of an ongoing story at the library. Then back to google scholar and proposal writing tomorrow.

It won't help now, but this ("pollo diablo") has never failed to impress and it's really simple.

Best of luck, SR and estragon, and glad I could provide some entertainment, annanova.

Good luck, T! I hope no data gnomes eat your dissertation topic, or the dissertation when you get that far.

Thanks for the recipe. Unfortunately what I have is four boneless chicken breasts, so that won't quite work. The trick as always is finding something the kids will eat as well. Sigh. This is always my least favorite part of the day. And the hub is no help.

:nana::nana::nana::nana:

This is topic number five. So data gnomes, evil politicians, file destruction practices, and unfortunate retirements... stay away from my new topic. :mad:

Oh, Lordy, proposal writing. I remember those days and am regularly thankful my thesis was finally finished AND accepted. The research was fun, though. :)

Tatyana, you do more than provide entertainment. I'm also gaining inspiration from your baking stories. I've been thinking I need to do some again... soon... and maybe get my story going, too.

PL, how are the kids with cream soups? Cook the chicken in a cream-based soup (love Campbells for that) and add pasta, rice, whatever veggies they might eat, and you're good!

Speaking of backing things up on discs, I need to get some blank DVDs so I can burn copies of the play we did last fall for my castmembers. I also need to get some printer cartridges refilled so I can print pictures for upcoming birthday cards.

Oh, Lordy, proposal writing. I remember those days and am regularly thankful my thesis was finally finished AND accepted. The research was fun, though. :)

Tatyana, you do more than provide entertainment. I'm also gaining inspiration from your baking stories. I've been thinking I need to do some again... soon... and maybe get my story going, too.

Life after a PhD? :eek:
I didn't think such a thing existed. ;)
Glad to see you enjoying yourself in community theater; my mother and I did that every year until I left home, and we had a blast.

Baking and I are new acquaintances. I've always been a cook, but I recently modeled a character in a story after a friend who is a baker. I decided to give baking another try after seeing how much fun the character had baking... or rather, how much fun she had with the custard and ganache. :p

So really, my friend inspired a character, who inspired me, who in turn might inspire you. phew!

I've started with breads, with the hope that one day I can make tarts and croissants and all sorts of other yummy treats. I'm making progress; tonight's meal included an egglant and pancetta pizza, and my crust was amazing, if I do say so myself. :D

I've started with breads, with the hope that one day I can make tarts and croissants and all sorts of other yummy treats. I'm making progress; tonight's meal included an egglant and pancetta pizza, and my crust was amazing, if I do say so myself. :D

Breads are an amazing way to start into baking...because they're tricky beasts. Yeast and kneading..ugh! Practice makes perfect, and if you can make a gorgeous gourmet pizza you will make a gorgeous tart...

(ps--my lady the Barefoot Contessa has a mean--and very easy fruit tart recipe that is so delicious it's sinful. And a cinch to make.)

Almost 3,000 words written this evening so far. I'm officially on a roll.

Back