My Favorite Quotes

“To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never to forget.”
― Arundhati Roy
 
“I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
Delicious Ambiguity.”
― Gilda Radner
 
“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
 
“The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”
― Robert Frost
 
“Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.”
― Billy Sunday
 
“It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”
― Paulo Coelho
 
“Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.”
 
“So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.”
― Stephen Chbosky
 
“Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.”
― Cornelia Funke
 
“Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.”
― Cornelia Funke

“Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.”

Sir Francis Bacon Essays 'Of Studies' 1625
 
Christopher Marlowe 1564-93

Dr Faustus
Was this the face that launched a thousand ships,
And burnt the topless towers of Ilium?
Sweet Helen, make me immortal with a kiss!

The Jew of Malta
Barnadine: Thou has commited...
Barabas: Fornication? But that was in another country: and besides, the wench is dead.
 
“Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked.”
― Cassandra Clare
 
“I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.”
― Jerome K. Jerome
 
“I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.”
― Helen Keller
 
“I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death.”
― Robert Fulghum
 
“The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us.”
― C.S. Lewis
 
“Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they’ll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.”
― John Green
 
“I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
― Henry David Thoreau
 
Back
Top