The King and I (closed)

"We can organize that. They would most likely want to know about the shooting, about the upcoming coronation and the mud covered prince who slid around in the grass with the children."

He took her hand in his own and slowly traced figures on the back of her hand as he looked up at the ceiling.
 
"You can still back out, you know. It's never been done before, but you can still give the throne up to someone else. It would give you a chance at a normal life if you wanted." Charlie offered, looking over at Dave as he looked at the ceiling of his bedroom.
 
He smiled at the suggestion, "That would be nice. Do a normal work, hanging out with friends, marry a girl who doesn't feel like she's pressured into it."

He gave her a sideways smirk, "And raise children the right way. Quite a nice dream. And it will not only break the monarchy, it will dump the country into turmoil even if the next successor was my mother."
 
"Not your mother. One of your sisters." Charlie said with a long sigh, thinking about his wayward sisters that might inherit the throne if he decided to give it up. "You obviously don't know how the line of your succession works."
 
He chuckled, "Oh I know all too well. But like I had told the people in a very public press conference, give me time and if I can't bring the right change, we can go democratic. Remember that? So if I step down and my twin sisters step into my place, we will have civil unrest. Even my well-loved mother in my place will fare no better. I am stuck with the crown, just wish it was over and done with already. All this ceremony and pomp is driving me mad already."
 
Charlie rolled over to her belly, hugging a pillow under her head as she laughed softly at Dave. "It's only going to get worse before it gets better, Donovan." She said as he talked about hating the pomp and circumstances that were surrounding his coronation.
 
He rolled his eyes

"You know when you are in this bed, looking all sexy as hell, you are supposed to make me feel better so that I can go to sleep with a restful mind. Now you give me doom and gloom."

He grinned at her
 
"It's my job to give you the news, no matter good or bad." Charlie said with a grin towards Dave. "You just don't ever want to hear what I have to say."
 
"You can just be lucky that I prefer you being the messenger or else I would have had enough practice with that ugly sword they want me to carry."

He looked at her, "You are still going to allow me to carry my cavalry sabre right?"
 
"You can carry whatever you like to carry if it means you get through the ceremony with minimal whining." Charlie commented. "I'm not really the one that you have to convince. It's all of the pompous men around you that feel the need to comment on what is right and wrong due to tradition. They will be your greatest battle."
 
He scoffed, "To them I just need to be in uniform. Silly old men indeed."

He leaned over and planted a kiss on her lips, "And now I bid you a fond goodnight, a long day will surely await me tomorrow."

He gave her a sneaky grin and a playful wink, then dropped back on to his pillow and closed his eyes.
 
Charlie watched him as he turned and settled, envying him for being so quick to sleep. Her mind would be racing for the next hour at the very least with all of the things that they needed to do. The coronation, a ball for his sisters, more events to attend. It was all mind numbing and incredibly intricate.
 
Even though he did fall asleep quickly, it did not meant that his mind did the same as well. For reasons beyond his own knowing, he dreamed about the shooting, felt the high velocity bullet slam into his chest, felt once more the anger surging through him when he heard that Charlie were the one taken in for questioning.

He opened his eyes and for a while looked up at the ceiling, not sure how long he had slept, the fact that Charlie still lay next to him, answered one question, he did not oversleep. He took a deep breath and turned onto his side, looking at her, then he fell asleep once again.
 
Charlie was dimly aware that Dave was tossing and turning in his sleep. She could only imagine what was going on in his mind with everything that had happened in such a short amount of time. On top of that, he was about to be crowned king of an entire nation. While he had been born to the position and groomed for the job, it was something that weighed heavily.

When she woke the next morning, she saw him sleeping peacefully finally. Then she noticed the bright sunshine and let out a soft sigh, thanking the weather gods that it would be a relatively nice day after so many days of snow.

"It's almost time to get up." Charlie murmured softly, knowing that he was often grumpy when he woke and she was the one that he was grumpy at.
 
He didn't open his eyes as he responded, "And pray tell how am I supposed to get out of bed without proper motivation? I already know that I have to fit that god awful coronation clothes to make sure all is well, I have to let them polish and of course sharpen my sword, which you so graciously allowed me to wear. There will be more meetings and boring numbers, people shouting for democracy even after I asked them for a chance . . . "

He opened his eyes, "Oh I know what will get me out of bed, if you agree to go swim with me and wear that nice little number which is hiding in your closet."
 
Charlie narrowed her gaze as he mentioned that little swimsuit that was lurking in the back of her closet. "I bought that for a vacation which I have never been allowed to take because you haven't given me the chance. Also, pray tell, why have you been digging around in my closet?"
 
He grinned and leaned onto his elbows to look at Charlie,

"Who said I did any digging? I know that you have not worn it, because you never went on the vacation and I also know you long enough by now, to know where clothing ends up that you don't wear."

His grin widened,

"Especially when it is not in your home, but here."
 
"Well, someone is either too busy for me to take a vacation or the next scandal that requires my attentions comes up." Charlie said as she gave him another push. "Get up before we're late. They'll blame me, of course."
 
"You make it sound like I have a choice when you are the one who always carry around an electronic tablet with a list of things for me to do."

He heaved a sigh and moved to get up out of bed

"So what do you have planned for me today? More fittings and meetings and no time to take a swim?"
 
"Unfortunately, you had a choice until your father and brother were killed." Charlie said as she looked over at Donovan. "I wish I could make it easier for you, but this is the lot that we both have in life now. A soon to be king and his often over worked assistant."

She let out a sigh as she thought about his plans for the day. "If you got up now, you might have time for a proper swim. You have to move quick though."
 
He paused and turned to face her

"Oh I have to move quick is it? I wonder if I give you a good tickle, if you will move any faster."

He pounced on her, using the covers to pin her to the bed, a huge grin on his face

"But then again, having you laughing and at my mercy, might just spoil your well-planned time-table."

He leaned in and kissed her, then with a wink he got out of bed and moved to get himself ready for the swim
 
"Dave!" She cried out as he yanked her back into the bed, tickling her as he pinned her to the ruffled bedding. "Stop!"

Then he was gone, leaving her with a kiss as she simply rolled her eyes at him. He was never one for time tables or schedules. He wanted to do things when he wanted. However, Charlie had been entrusted to make sure that he kept to his new very public life in a timely manner. It was a headache of epic proportions.

When she left his rooms, she paused to see Queen Miranda sitting there, sipping on her tea and looking at her with a small grin on her face. "Ma'am." Charlie said.

"You should take him away from here for a while. Get him out and let him breathe." She said softly. "It's what I did for Karol so many times before he became king. Those were good memories."

"If there were time..." Charlie started, cut off as Miranda laughed.

"There's always time. He's human, dear. I can take up any slack that is needed. Between him and my daughters, I have all the time in the world now." She promised as she stood and held her hand out for the table under Charlie's arm. "And a get away would do you some good too. Get out of this place. Live a little."
 
"Conspiring behind my back mother?"

He entered the room, smiling at the two women. He took a seat at the table and looked at his mother,

"We need to talk about the twins, if we are to keep the monarchy functioning and prevent the democratic uprising, they are to be reigned in."

He motioned for Charlie to sit,

"If you have ideas, I want to hear them. I know that if I speak to them, they will behave for a while, but we need a long-term solution. And packing them off a Convent will work, but it is not a very humane way of doing things."
 
Back
Top