Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scots dictionaries

I wish there was an OSD.

I'm not aware of an Oxford Scots Dictionary. I have the 'Concise Scots Dictionary' from the Scottish National Dictionary Association. It's the best in one volume I can find. Alas my budget doesn't stretch to the multi-volume one, and for most practical purposes, as a writer, the 'Concise' serves me well. But I don't speak Scots from a dictionary: it's my native tongue.

I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed reading the dialects this morning. I am not brave enough to use it in my writing, preferring to keep to the Wild West jargon, like;

slumgullion - meat stew (or any other suspicious-looking food or beverage)

Cullen skink

I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed reading the dialects this morning. I am not brave enough to use it in my writing, preferring to keep to the Wild West jargon, like;

slumgullion - meat stew (or any other suspicious-looking food or beverage)

A Scots fish soup, usually haddock.

From Lallands to Wild West to Far North: Yuckaflux

A mixture of alcohol and various fruits, usually made at a party where the party-goers add the fruit of their choice to the bowl full of liquor.

Far north?

From Lallands to Wild West to Far North: Yuckaflux

A mixture of alcohol and various fruits, usually made at a party where the party-goers add the fruit of their choice to the bowl full of liquor.

Edmonton is way south of here. We're about as far north as Churchill on Hudson's Bay.

But I'd love to try Yuckaflux...

PS... as MacDiarmid created it, it's 'Lallans'. An invented language. Me, I speak Scots.

laughing

Far North refers to the cold regions of London, Service and Mowat fame.

I had a friend called Jim Mowat, now (the last I heard) a Scots exile in lonely London. But it's normally warmer than here, except in winter, when it's way colder.

I had a friend called Jim Mowat, now (the last I heard) a Scots exile in lonely London. But it's normally warmer than here, except in winter, when it's way colder.

Jack London (Call of the Wild), Robert Service (Cremation of Sam McGee), and Farley Mowat.

Um yes

I remember now. Thank you for jogging ancient braincells. Most of my recent Canadian reading has been Atwood, Alice Munro, and Carol Shields. And for the Scots touch, Alistair MacLeod.

Jack London (Call of the Wild), Robert Service (Cremation of Sam McGee), and Farley Mowat.

I cannot keep up here and I admit it, so I will utter a pardie or mild oath. Carry on, gentlemen.

An dae ye speir I'd tak the word o an Englishman on sic a maitter? Jist cos it's in the OED (an the bletherin ane tae boot) disnae mean it's richt.

Maybe it might be a tad embarassing to remind our Scottish brethren that the man who almost single handedly created the OED and was its editor from 1879 to 1915 was James Murray... a Scotsman.

But I expect you knew that didn't you?:D

Well, at least I found something pertinent to the discussion in the second definition of this word;

syncope - 1. a partial or complete temporary suspension of respiration and circulation due to cerebral ischemia: FAINT 2. the loss of one or more sounds or letters in the interior of a word (as in fo'c'sle for forecastle)

Um no, I didn't...

I did know that a Scot founded the Bank of England, and others created Encyclopaedia Brittanica and the US Navy...

But the Oxford! Thank you for the information. More to bury in my 'how wonderful we Scots are' treasury of daft self-indulgent trivia.

beallach (pron BE-all [long soft a, as in achievement]-ach

Ridge between two mountains, often 'col' in mountaineering parlance outwith Scotland.

Maybe it might be a tad embarassing to remind our Scottish brethren that the man who almost single handedly created the OED and was its editor from 1879 to 1915 was James Murray... a Scotsman.

But I expect you knew that didn't you?:D

a good one

Thank you AC

Well, at least I found something pertinent to the discussion in the second definition of this word;

syncope - 1. a partial or complete temporary suspension of respiration and circulation due to cerebral ischemia: FAINT 2. the loss of one or more sounds or letters in the interior of a word (as in fo'c'sle for forecastle)

Heliacal
• The heliacal rising of a star (or other body such as the moon, a planet or a constellation ) occurs when it first becomes visible above the eastern horizon at dawn, after a period when it was hidden below the horizon or when it was just above the horizon but hidden by the brightness of the sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliacal_rising

This one looked good;

shivaree - a noisy mock serenade to a newly married couple. Is that why the tin cans were tied to the bumper of our rented Bentley on the day I was married?

Yogh = an old letter seen only in English (ȝ). Replaced with 'y' and 'gh'.

Wynn = an old letter seen only in English (ƿ). Replaced with 'w'.

Very good word! A+

This one looked good;

shivaree - a noisy mock serenade to a newly married couple. Is that why the tin cans were tied to the bumper of our rented Bentley on the day I was married?

from the French, chari-vari, the custom of making a tremendous din outside the bedroom window of a couple on their wedding night. If they were passionate enough for each other to make love in spite of the disruption, then they would likely have a good and lasting marriage.

from the French, chari-vari, the custom of making a tremendous din outside the bedroom window of a couple on their wedding night. If they were passionate enough for each other to make love in spite of the disruption, then they would likely have a good and lasting marriage.

Arguably the first techno track ever produced: Number of Names - Sharivari (1982)

In Detroit, the first raves were called charivaris (1981-1988). They mostly played Chicago House, electrofunk, Italo-Disco, Spacesynth and the earliest techno records.

Last edited:
I've discovered another old Scots word:
Malapert

It's a less than complimentary expression for a young woman of unsavoury, impudent or saucy behaviour.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back