pretty planes

It was its dihedral-edged wings that did it for me. Akin to hips on a woman, methinks.

I like your choice, but if we're going old-school, nothing beats the P-38 Lightning's twin-boomed design for me. After all, isn't two better than one? ;)

Lockheed_P-38_Lightning_USAF.JPG

/thread

By far the coolest old fighter there is.

It was its dihedral-edged wings that did it for me. Akin to hips on a woman, methinks.

I like your choice, but if we're going old-school, nothing beats the P-38 Lightning's twin-boomed design for me. After all, isn't two better than one? ;)

Lockheed_P-38_Lightning_USAF.JPG

Coolest plane ever. Great call

A few years ago, I got to fly one of these:

SNJ-Rides.jpg

I got to do loops and rolls. It was a blast.

A few years ago, I got to fly one of these:

SNJ-Rides.jpg

I got to do loops and rolls. It was a blast.
how long have you held a pilot's license, thør? that's pretty cool, even for a cool bear. :cool:

how long have you held a pilot's license, thør? that's pretty cool, even for a cool bear. :cool:

I have no license. The guy in the back seat took off, landed and coached me through some tricks. We had a great time.

I have no license. The guy in the back seat took off, landed and coached me through some tricks. We had a great time.
still, loads of fun, right? stuff of memories. time i built myself a few. :rose:

This is a great organization for preserving military aviation history.
http://www.collingsfoundation.org/menu.htm

I went for a ride on this plane years ago it was amazing:

high-b-17banking.jpg

I've know two men who used to fly those for the US Army Air Corps. One of those guys flew over Berlin. Sadly, both of them passed away the summer before last within 2 weeks of one another. I remember talking to one after seeing a special on the TV where Tom Landry (Dallas Cowboy guy) was interviewed because he flew right seat in the plane. My old friend said, "Not good enough to be pilot, eh?"

Now the P-38 is nice and all, but nothing comes close to one of these.

8237-1.jpg

Its even secure enough to wear pink. :cool:

Not all that purdy in my opinion:

F-82E-Adak-1948.jpg

Twin Mustang at Adak, Alaska.

I've know two men who used to fly those for the US Army Air Corps. One of those guys flew over Berlin. Sadly, both of them passed away the summer before last within 2 weeks of one another. I remember talking to one after seeing a special on the TV where Tom Landry (Dallas Cowboy guy) was interviewed because he flew right seat in the plane. My old friend said, "Not good enough to be pilot, eh?"

When we went on our flight the was an old guy in front of us with his son. He was telling us how he was a tail gunner and did his 25 missions and went home. He was about to get on the plane and he got real distressed. He was about to get on and said "I can't do this:. He told his son to go ahead. I felt bad for the guy, Maybe he had too many horrid memories.

Not all that purdy in my opinion:

F-82E-Adak-1948.jpg

Twin Mustang at Adak, Alaska.

I saw one once. It actually looks like someone took two P-51s and welded the wings together. Never did figure out which canopy the pilot sat under.

I saw one once. It actually looks like someone took two P-51s and welded the wings together. Never did figure out which canopy the pilot sat under.

Prolly the left seat was the command seat, but I'd bet controls were routed for both pilots.

spitfire? or the other one?
and that's a horrible pink *wrinkles nose*

ha :D

The Spitfire, of course.
It might not be the nicest pink but it was painted thus by design and it worked perfectly.

supermarine_spitfire_aircraft_flight_1366x768_89739.jpg

Seafire.

There is nothing out there that compares to the sound of the Rolls Royce Merlin and Griffon engines, even the Mustang with the Packard built version doesn't sound the same.
I was fortunate enough a few years ago to witness a recreation of a "big wing" formation at a Duxford airshow, 20+ Spitfires and Hurricanes in the air at once, a truly glorious sight and sound.

Back