How to post a damned pic

LincolnDuncan

Thread hijacker
I know how to go to manage attachments. I can post a pic that I have saved on my computer, but it only provides a link that has to be clicked in order to view. How does one simply post a picture? I have attempted to learn on my own from the Lit instructions but I just don't get it.

Right click on the picture or the link to the picture and select, "copy link location."

If it is one you already posted, go to edit that post.

Then look up at the little icon choices in your editor box. See the one with a mountain and a sun? That inserts the img tag in square brackets.

Select that.

A dialog box will show up. Cick your cursor into that and do a control 'V" or left click "paste"

click OK.

Click save changes if editing or submit reply if it was a new post.

I know how to go to manage attachments. I can post a pic that I have saved on my computer, but it only provides a link that has to be clicked in order to view. How does one simply post a picture? I have attempted to learn on my own from the Lit instructions but I just don't get it.

You post a Damned Picture the same way you post any other picture. :p

Once you send an attachment, right-click and copy link location. Then click the
insertimage.gif
icon and paste the copied URL into the dialogue box.

Quote this post to see the IMG code syntax.

insertimage.gif

I quoted the post to see how you did the image icon! I don't know why it has never occurred to me when explaining these things I could right click on the gif for the icon...

I quoted the post to see how you did the image icon! I don't know why it has never occurred to me when explaining these things I could right click on the gif for the icon...

Most of the Forum displays are hotlinkable; avatars for example:
image.php

PS: According to Google, this is Damned, picture 1 of 83:

2673992.jpg

Last edited:
But it really is damned elaborate!

In most other fora I frequent, simply attaching the damned picture, will make it show up in the bloody post!

In most other fora I frequent, simply attaching the damned picture, will make it show up in the bloody post!

And in others there is no way to display the picture in the post at all. :cool:

insertimage.gif

Thank you Harold. In addition to being weird, I sense that you are a decent individual.

The automatic display of attachments is configurable in vBulletin. Lit turned off automatic display because at one time, accessing the attachment database to automatically display them was slowing the servers down and occasionally crashing them.

I wonder if Lit will go to HTTP2? Supposed to speed up the site transfers by a factor of at least 2, plus do away with all those pesky TCP/IP connections except one.

And according to the article I read HTTP1 is so cluttered that no matter how small the webpage is, a megabyte of data is sent to the client.

HTTP2 is supposed do away with all that clutter.

HTTP2 is supposed do away with all that clutter.

The forum and story databases aren't in HTTP of any flavor. The PHP, SQL and vBasic scripts that run the site would have to be rewritten to generate HTTP2 pages but the actual data access would still be limited to the programming language(s) of the script files.

The forum and story databases aren't in HTTP of any flavor. The PHP, SQL and vBasic scripts that run the site would have to be rewritten to generate HTTP2 pages but the actual data access would still be limited to the programming language(s) of the script files.

HTTP is the protocol, not the language. HTTP, that little bit that goes before the website URL as in HTTP://www.literotica.com.

Right now an http call creates a number of TCP/IP(another protocol) connections to the server from the client. HTTP2 would reduce that to one, plus clear out most of the header which now has about 116 entries. Data would also be transmitted as binary data.

The HTML, PHP, SQL, vBasic scripts remain the same, it's the underlying protocols that change and the browsers.

Last edited:
HTTP is the protocol, not the language. HTTP, that little bit that goes before the website URL as in HTTP://www.literotica.com.

Right now an http call creates a number of TCP/IP(another protocol) connections to the server from the client. HTTP2 would reduce that to one, plus clear out most of the header which now has about 116 entries. Data would also be transmitted as binary data.

The HTML, PHP, SQL, vBasic scripts remain the same, it's the underlying protocols that change and the browsers.
Understood, but the transmission protocol does nothing for data access. It just affects data transmission.

In the case of a vBulletin based forum, the data access and manipulation takes far longer than the transmission of the pages once they are assembled.

Understood, but the transmission protocol does nothing for data access. It just affects data transmission.

In the case of a vBulletin based forum, the data access and manipulation takes far longer than the transmission of the pages once they are assembled.

As most of the data manipulation is done via SQL, the time it takes for a sql call is minimal. SQL take next to no time to execute, even on a Pentium IV processor...less than 10 milliseconds.

As for the creation of HTML from PHP that too, is minimal.

The time to transmit under HTTP 1.1 is what takes time. Not withstanding Internet traffic, etc. Under HTTP 1.1 each page take a minimum of one megabyte of data transmitted.

With HTTP 2 that would be reduced to the page data and a much smaller header, plus reduce the number of TCP/IP connections to one.

As most of the data manipulation is done via SQL, the time it takes for a sql call is minimal. SQL take next to no time to execute, even on a Pentium IV processor...less than 10 milliseconds.

As for the creation of HTML from PHP that too, is minimal.

The time to transmit under HTTP 1.1 is what takes time. Not withstanding Internet traffic, etc. Under HTTP 1.1 each page take a minimum of one megabyte of data transmitted.

With HTTP 2 that would be reduced to the page data and a much smaller header, plus reduce the number of TCP/IP connections to one.
I can only go from personal experience, and the time spent waiting for a response from Lit has nothing to do with transmission speeds; once my monitor program starts showing data movement, receiving the full page takes next to no time. The time between requesting a new page to the beginning of data transfer is 90% or more of the delay.

It wouldn't matter if I went all the way back to a 300 Baud dial-up modem, the server delays on a big vBulletin forum like Lit would still be most of the delay.

I can only go from personal experience, and the time spent waiting for a response from Lit has nothing to do with transmission speeds; once my monitor program starts showing data movement, receiving the full page takes next to no time. The time between requesting a new page to the beginning of data transfer is 90% or more of the delay.

It wouldn't matter if I went all the way back to a 300 Baud dial-up modem, the server delays on a big vBulletin forum like Lit would still be most of the delay.

There is a function in most BB software that will tell you the time it took to form the page you have received. Even on some the large boards I frequent the creation of the page is in the millisecond range.

"Page created in 0.125 seconds with 33 queries." - sample from one site.

One board has millions of views at one time and still is in the millisecond range. What take most of the time is transfer rate from the site to the plugin they employ to handle the vast amounts of data sent.

Back