Michigan Roll Call

Cold Beer & Fried Chicken

Now that we're gotten to know each other over cold beer and Katie's desert, anyone making plans for the Detroit Jazz Festival?

Bad Plus is opening Friday night w/ Joshua Redman.

As a sample, "People Like You"

Last edited:
Now that we're gotten to know each other over cold beer and Katie's desert, anyone making plans for the Detroit Jazz Festival?

I usually attend with a buddy of mine. He's more into jazz than I am (he plays barry sax). But it's fun, anyway.

I confess I don't care for 'fusion' jazz; I much prefer New Orleans style. But there's room enough under the tent for everyone...

Wanna pass that bottle opener over here?

I always share

I usually attend with a buddy of mine. He's more into jazz than I am (he plays barry sax). But it's fun, anyway.

I confess I don't care for 'fusion' jazz; I much prefer New Orleans style. But there's room enough under the tent for everyone...

Wanna pass that bottle opener over here?

Of course . . . I always bring extra

Well that's just Friday night.

Another great show for the weekend. John Pizzarelli or The Dirty Dozen Brass Band may be your cup of tea. If not, there's Ramsey Lewis, Ron Carter, Regina Carter, Stanley Clark, etc., etc.

Hello All, I hope you had a safe and fun long weekend. What happened to summer this year? It seemed to fly by!

Another great show for the weekend. John Pizzarelli or The Dirty Dozen Brass Band may be your cup of tea. If not, there's Ramsey Lewis, Ron Carter, Regina Carter, Stanley Clark, etc., etc.

Oh man--the one year I don't check the roster too closely, three favorites came to the festival: Pizzarelli, Ramsey Lewis, Stanley Clarke. Pizzarelli is a class act for certain! I did some photography there two years ago for one of the groups, so I got to hang out there for awhile. Met with some of the brass from Mack Avenue Records, as their owner is the one who sponsors the festival. Nice, down to earth people!

Hello All, I hope you had a safe and fun long weekend. What happened to summer this year? It seemed to fly by!

Strange summer, wasn't it? The garden failed miserably--just about everything attacked by leaf blight/leaf rust (aka mildew) even after spraying heavily. Must be common in this area as neighbors had the same problems. Lots of rain. Too much flooding (lost one of the cars three weeks ago over in Warren). In a way I'm glad to see it gone...and yes, it did fly by.

Our garden sucked also. Only thing that grew was the Zucchini and even that didn't give us much from it.

Too Wet

Our garden sucked also. Only thing that grew was the Zucchini and even that didn't give us much from it.

Ditto that.

Too much rain and we now have Powdery Mildew on everything. Never thought you could kill a zucchini plant, but we have.

However, now getting a few tomatoes

I usually had more cucumbers than I knew what to do with--I got ONE. Out of four plants. The tomatoes all came in a week and a half ago, and the plants are all nearly dead. I had others that sprouted up which I transplanted that are getting some small tomatoes, so those might give me a few more before the frost. It got my pepper plants, except amusingly, not the jalapenos. ;) The only things that did well were the cabbage-based plants: green cabbage, cauliflour and broccoli. I still have to treat those for insects though, as we have a lot of those over here (being in a wet area).

I'd read prior to last summer that there was some sort of mildew infestation in this area--some nurseries did not sell impatiens or if they did, they would not guarantee they would grow. That may be the cause of our woes over the past two years, and it was a lot worse this year!

Fabulous Show

Oh man--the one year I don't check the roster too closely, three favorites came to the festival: Pizzarelli, Ramsey Lewis, Stanley Clarke. Pizzarelli is a class act for certain! I did some photography there two years ago for one of the groups, so I got to hang out there for awhile. Met with some of the brass from Mack Avenue Records, as their owner is the one who sponsors the festival. Nice, down to earth people!

Great show. Bad Plus w/ Redman was outrageous. Nicholas Payton did his take on Sketches of Spain--blew me away. Dirty Dozen Brass Band and Regina Carter were wonderful. Dave Holland and Kevin Erbanks were something to see

Great show. Bad Plus w/ Redman was outrageous. Nicholas Payton did his take on Sketches of Spain--blew me away. Dirty Dozen Brass Band and Regina Carter were wonderful. Dave Holland and Kevin Erbanks were something to see

Eubanks was another one I've wanted to see for years. It's just hard for me to schedule time I can head down and catch everything.

Scorch the Earth

I usually had more cucumbers than I knew what to do with--I got ONE. Out of four plants. The tomatoes all came in a week and a half ago, and the plants are all nearly dead. I had others that sprouted up which I transplanted that are getting some small tomatoes, so those might give me a few more before the frost. It got my pepper plants, except amusingly, not the jalapenos. ;) The only things that did well were the cabbage-based plants: green cabbage, cauliflour and broccoli. I still have to treat those for insects though, as we have a lot of those over here (being in a wet area).

I'd read prior to last summer that there was some sort of mildew infestation in this area--some nurseries did not sell impatiens or if they did, they would not guarantee they would grow. That may be the cause of our woes over the past two years, and it was a lot worse this year!

My wife has suggested that we need to scorch the garden. I may put down some straw and saw dust and start a fire after I remove all the vegetation. Hopefully the heat will purge the mildew

Always a Balancing Act

Eubanks was another one I've wanted to see for years. It's just hard for me to schedule time I can head down and catch everything.

Caught three or four songs from Regina Carter and then caught the last two or three songs from Holland & Eubanks.

So much music and so little time

My wife has suggested that we need to scorch the garden. I may put down some straw and saw dust and start a fire after I remove all the vegetation. Hopefully the heat will purge the mildew

Where I live, that isn't an option--I'd burn down the garage, the wood fence, and the bushes from the lot behind us. :D

One thing I noticed was that for these past two years, I was not able to roto-till the garden. Maybe I need to fix the thing. For a change this year, I'm going to make sure I remove ALL vegetation, perhaps till it once in the fall, and again in the spring.

We will end up purging everything in a week or two. Just hand pull everything and then dig up and flip the top layer.

We will end up purging everything in a week or two. Just hand pull everything and then dig up and flip the top layer.

We are in a wet area, only about a mile from Lake St. Clair. Neighbors dug down in their yard to put in a pond two years ago, and had to stop at 28 inches (vs. 36 for the pond) due to all the water filling it up as they were digging. Right now, in fact, those storms from last night and the rain this morning have left my backyard like a lake again.

We are in a wet area, only about a mile from Lake St. Clair. Neighbors dug down in their yard to put in a pond two years ago, and had to stop at 28 inches (vs. 36 for the pond) due to all the water filling it up as they were digging. Right now, in fact, those storms from last night and the rain this morning have left my backyard like a lake again.

Sounds like you might be somewhat close to me. We are not as close but many friends are. Leaves you somewhat limited to what you can do when your yard fills up so fast.

Sounds like you might be somewhat close to me. We are not as close but many friends are. Leaves you somewhat limited to what you can do when your yard fills up so fast.

Indeed, we might be nearby. I was at the Harper Cruise this year. Something us locals know about. ;)

Indeed, we might be nearby. I was at the Harper Cruise this year. Something us locals know about. ;)

I missed it by a mile when trying to get down to Jefferson :D . Of course the ride back home was a bear with rush hour traffic taking all the same roads I was to miss the cruise

I'm nowhere near Lake St. Clair, but any significant rain leaves my backyard mushy.
We have a wetland behind us, even though it's mostly wooded, and a cattail drainage depression (I can't dignify it with the name "ditch").

I've been thinking of putting in some catch basins and a drain pipe just to redirect the water over to the cattail area. It's either that or truck in yards and yards of dirt to raise and level the back yard, which I don't want to do...

Back