The Last Thing You Thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, that was the core of my thoughts on this.
The Doctor is incredibly masculine. To change that requires real intent and purpose and a significantly new perspective...from the viewers and the character. Whats the point if the only difference is bewbs?

Totally disagree.

While his gender matters in so much as it gives credence to why we might trust him in matters, he finds gender construction quite silly, and it's evident especially with the last show runner. Not so much with Moffatt, tho.

-pats her head-
That's nice dear.

:p

Regardless of how the character feels about gender constructs, the character is written with a decidedly male flavor.
He may, from time to time, subvert things, but he's very masculine, regardless of how he speaks about gender roles.

Fine, but regardless of his gender and how the show runner handles it (and let's be fair Moffat would fuck it up) the change in gender would not necessarily change who the Doctor is fundamentally.

If done right, it could be great. They have to encompass everything the Doctor is and stands for.

The problem I have with this line is this, that it implies that a change to his gender could endanger what the Doctor stands for, simply because he would now be a she. I disagree, and posit that this particular piece of conversation wouldn't be had IF the Doctor were merely to continue as a male.

Last edited:
Oh, definitely not! I imagine more of a change in approach, and perhaps adjustments in perspective, but not the core beliefs and motivations, no.

I think this was Spec's original statement, only in different terms. But then again, I may be putting words in people's mouths...

Regardless of how the character feels about gender constructs, the character is written with a decidedly male flavor.
He may, from time to time, subvert things, but he's very masculine, regardless of how he speaks about gender roles.

Oh, definitely not! I imagine more of a change in approach, and perhaps adjustments in perspective, but not the core beliefs and motivations, no.

I think this was Spec's original statement, only in different terms. But then again, I may be putting words in people's mouths...

Pretty much, I meant it from a writing stand point. I don't know where the implication of sexism came from.

... how do I get up to pee without waking up the dog, the cat, or the woman?

Ah hell. One of them is going to be seriously pissed off.

But I really need to pee.

On a side note, yay I got a post done... I figured since I was awake I might as well write.

LT: If they don't want to admit they were wrong or apologize, fine. They can live in their delusion.

Is it ok for me to write with two amazing writers, yet ccontribute only once every week or two? I think I am neglecting stories that I truly feel passionate about. Yet, I can't find time. It is easy to post randomly here in the Lounge throughout the day. My phone makes it easy. Yet, it is so much more difficult to write a story on a phone with a touch keyboard. It is so hard to get in "the zone" at work when I am interupted every ten minutes. It is equally hard at home with so much to do, while also not having time to sit in front of my computer and actually write. I don't know what to do. I feel as though I am not giving my cowriters what they deserve, yet, I don't know how to find the time to write.

How does everyone do it? How do you find the balance? How do you find the discipline? That is not to say I see writig as a chore. Far from it, but I still can't concentrate with all of this going on. And yet, I am dying to start another story I have been brainstorming with two lovely cowriters who are also wonderful friends.

I guess I am just rambling. This is what I have been thinkng the last few days. Ironically, I could have written to one of my stories using the time and energy I used to write this.

Bleh...

Is it ok for me to write with two amazing writers, yet ccontribute only once every week or two? I think I am neglecting stories that I truly feel passionate about. Yet, I can't find time. It is easy to post randomly here in the Lounge throughout the day. My phone makes it easy. Yet, it is so much more difficult to write a story on a phone with a touch keyboard. It is so hard to get in "the zone" at work when I am interupted every ten minutes. It is equally hard at home with so much to do, while also not having time to sit in front of my computer and actually write. I don't know what to do. I feel as though I am not giving my cowriters what they deserve, yet, I don't know how to find the time to write.

How does everyone do it? How do you find the balance? How do you find the discipline? That is not to say I see writig as a chore. Far from it, but I still can't concentrate with all of this going on. And yet, I am dying to start another story I have been brainstorming with two lovely cowriters who are also wonderful friends.

I guess I am just rambling. This is what I have been thinkng the last few days. Ironically, I could have written to one of my stories using the time and energy I used to write this.

Bleh...

I understand how you feel. I'm using lit on my phone until m computer gets back up and running. Its not easy that's for sure. A lot of times when I'm posting the cursor (thing?) jumps and moves so I really don't know where I am. Plus if you make an error its hard to move around the page to fix it. Not sure if it does it for everyone or just me. But I started writing in the note pad and just copying and pasting since I could see everything I was writing and and fix things easier.

If its hard to find time, just try to write a little bit when you can, save it, work or whatever, then come back to it when you can to write a little more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back