Some of the moderators reject story for no reasons.

If they use a bot to check spelling, this may be an issue for me. I have a story in the pipeline right now in which I use healthy amount of slang and colloquialisms in quoted conversation. A real, live, reviewer would recognize that the "misspelled words" are conveying a manner of speech whereas a bot, or automated spell checker, might not.

It doesn't follow the Chicago Manual because most people don't follow the Chicago Manual in their every day speech. If I have an issue in getting approval, how do I get around it?

When you submit the story put a message in the Notes box explaining that you have used slang.
 
Agreed. It's impossible for any writer to confirm their own work as "perfectly done".

Agreed!
I'm working in Holiday Story,doesn't days plotting and identifying the beats.

My Beta Reader caught that I basically glossed over the key elements to the plot!
I knew it, but I never told the reader!

Have I mentioned how much I appreciate her?
Then I should!

Dear X, you rock!
 
I am absolutely awful with commas! I want to put them everywhere.

You get a comma, and you get a comma, and you get a comma!

Grammarly, even the free version, changes your writing for good!
 
Quoted conversation shouldn't be a problem — so long as you have the punctuation correct.

Everything I post has slang, incomplete sentences, dangling participles, etc. in dialogue, and it goes through just fine. I've even posted some extreme ones using dialect where every third word or so had letters dropped and replaced with an apostrophe or was a completely non-standard word like "If'n".

Your narrative should be clean, but Laurel understands that people don't follow the CMS when they're casually speaking. There's even wiggle room in narrative if it's first person. I think Laurel's default when she sees a word she thinks could be slang but she's not sure is to give the benefit of the doubt.

Grammar rejections are going to come from punctuation of dialogue, ( apparently a pet peeve of hers, considering how many rejections arise from it ) too many homonyms, typos, or outright atrocious spelling.

If they use a bot to check spelling, this may be an issue for me. I have a story in the pipeline right now in which I use healthy amount of slang and colloquialisms in quoted conversation. A real, live, reviewer would recognize that the "misspelled words" are conveying a manner of speech whereas a bot, or automated spell checker, might not.

It doesn't follow the Chicago Manual because most people don't follow the Chicago Manual in their every day speech. If I have an issue in getting approval, how do I get around it?
 
Back
Top