Tolyk's Gallery

Ok, I know you said you were working on something. I'll keep checking back :)

You have a real eye for photography. Those images are exceptionally good. I'd even go as far as to say they're better than a lot of professional work that I've seen.

Ok, I know you said you were working on something. I'll keep checking back :)
Maybe that was the tree project I was referring to.. I can't remember for sure. My memory has been shit since the car accident. Slowly improving though.

Those are some spectacular new additions, T. I'm really jonesing for a trip out west.
Miss talking to you as much! It would be so awesome if you came out this way :) Little trip to the mountains with SpicySweets, who could complain? :D
Thank you :)
You have a real eye for photography. Those images are exceptionally good. I'd even go as far as to say they're better than a lot of professional work that I've seen.
Thank! I'm still learning and perfecting my style. I have no cohesive body of work to present yet. Just a lot of pretty pictures :)

I don't think that any one capture of the latest series can be said to be better than the rest. In spite of the fact that some captures are identical to another, it's just that you captured some scenes in landscape then again in portrait.

The ones where you took it in portrait shows a better view of the sky in relation to the mountain, while the landscape shows less sky and more adjacent scenery. You have a good eye for getting captures that look interesting, or that shows off the landscape (physical) in it's best dynamics.

Your ability to capture such awesome vistas is heads and shoulders over mine, but I daresay I know of only one who captures them better. I can't put my finger on which elements compromise those differences (if I could, then I would be as good as both of you, natch).

The only way I can describe it is, yours are the quintessential realistic best shots, while theirs is quintessential unrealistic best shots - in that theirs looks like the epitome of shots, the "unicorn" of shots if you will. The one perfect shot that that looks so perfect, it looks unreal. Yet, they do various captures time and again.

I'm not trying to belittle your captures. They are truly great and are worthy of post cards, calendars that make people wistful for better views than ones they see daily and travelogues that entice people to "come visit us" by showing the raw beauty that best exemplifies an area. I'm just saying there is an indescribable element, where yours' could be better.

Last edited:
Seeing the world through the eyes of a right-sided brain thinker...is always a treasure!! you have a gift...thank you for sharing it with the world...Fondly, Kelleebabes

Miss talking to you as much! It would be so awesome if you came out this way :) Little trip to the mountains with SpicySweets, who could complain? :D

Oh, if only. This gal is dying for a vacation! Hope you're well, my friend. :)

I don't think that any one capture of the latest series can be said to be better than the rest. In spite of the fact that some captures are identical to another, it's just that you captured some scenes in landscape then again in portrait.

The ones where you took it in portrait shows a better view of the sky in relation to the mountain, while the landscape shows less sky and more adjacent scenery. You have a good eye for getting captures that look interesting, or that shows off the landscape (physical) in it's best dynamics.

Your ability to capture such awesome vistas is heads and shoulders over mine, but I daresay I know of only one who captures them better. I can't put my finger on which elements compromise those differences (if I could, then I would be as good as both of you, natch).

The only way I can describe it is, yours are the quintessential realistic best shots, while theirs is quintessential unrealistic best shots - in that theirs looks like the epitome of shots, the "unicorn" of shots if you will. The one perfect shot that that looks so perfect, it looks unreal. Yet, they do various captures time and again.

I'm not trying to belittle your captures. They are truly great and are worthy of post cards, calendars that make people wistful for better views than ones they see daily and travelogues that entice people to "come visit us" by showing the raw beauty that best exemplifies an area. I'm just saying there is an indescribable element, where yours' could be better.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed message lwulf! I don't take it as belittling in the slightest. Im actually glad you stated realistic as that is what I strive for. I intentionally limit my editing as well to try and retain the realism. Every now and then, I go for the fantastical. But I prefer the realism for the most part. As I started a few posts ago, still learning, still developing my style :)

I appreciate the comment!

16808101058_9a1d0d01f6_b.jpg

Love this. From the sand to sky. Breathtaking.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed message lwulf! I don't take it as belittling in the slightest. Im actually glad you stated realistic as that is what I strive for. I intentionally limit my editing as well to try and retain the realism. Every now and then, I go for the fantastical. But I prefer the realism for the most part. As I started a few posts ago, still learning, still developing my style :)

I appreciate the comment!

Well, I don't know if what they did was edited. I'm working off memory alone as I tried to find their name for you to look at their work and maybe figure out what element is different for yourself and maybe seek to do the same (you asked for opinions which suggests to me that you want an objective opinion if your work could be better and maybe if so, then how?). I don't know how else to explain visuals without making comparisons.

Again, I'm working off memory alone as it's been 2-3 years since I've seen their captures. Let's see... I'd say from a simplistic POV, if there was snow in the frame, there was more snow. If there was autumn colors, then they got an image where every tree was changing and filled the capture from side to side. If the mountainside was all grass, then there was more green grass.
Their colors seemed more vibrant. They chose perches that looked more dramatically down a hill and across a valley. While the focus they took filled the capture, they also somehow managed to get a sky scene in there too...

Maybe it was location, maybe it was just relentless looking for the most dramatic changes of variances of subject matter. Or maybe they DID edit it, I don't know...

if I find their name, I'll shoot you a PM so you can see for yourself.

I am absolutely looking for opinions and critique. How else does one grow and learn as an artist :) thanks again lwulf

Seeing the world through the eyes of a right-sided brain thinker...is always a treasure!! you have a gift...thank you for sharing it with the world...Fondly, Kelleebabes
Thanks :) I wouldn't really say I'm a right sided brain thinker though :)
Love this. From the sand to sky. Breathtaking.

Thank you Corbal, always a pleasure to see you stop in!

My favorite of the series so far.

Yeah, I'm very pleased with how that one turned out :) will see how the future ones turn out.

I initially spotted this tree because it was covered in hoarfrost. I will keep an eye on it next winter for similar conditions (and actually have my camera on me). If I can replicate what I saw that day, it will be my favourite.

Here's a new one. Will upload a higher res copy later.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Beautiful images..you are very talented. Have you shown anything here in Calgary?

Tol, your pictures are simply breath taking. Thank you for sharing. I am so glad I came by to take a look. :) I especially love the mountain landscapes.:heart: And the sunsets of course.;)

Tol, your pictures are simply breath taking. Thank you for sharing. I am so glad I came by to take a look. :) I especially love the mountain landscapes.:heart: And the sunsets of course.;)

I think they are mostly sunrises in here... I'd have to look through everything again. Thank you for swinging by :) I need to get out shooting again! I miss the mountains

Absolutely fantastic photos Tol!! Great eye. What a gift. :)

Back