When you are writing multipart stories

do you write the whole thing and start to post or write bit by bit and post as you go?

After my first experience writing a multi-parter, I had some gaps in the timing, and I get pissed off when I get into a story and the author drops it without completing it (quite a few I can think of in that category) or leaves it for months without an update. But I've been working on this one story for freaking ever.

I've got 30,000+ words written and the rest of the plot mapped out, but I'm stalled. I'm tempted to post the first few parts to light a fire under my own ass, but...

When you intend for a work to be fairly long, it's best to have it all down before you post the beginning. A lot of the time, a really great plot line becomes apparent, which requires a change in an earlier chapter.
 
thanks for all the feedback folks

As crazy as my life is, I think I am best off finishing the whole thing. It worked okay writing piece by piece on my first multipart, but for a variety of reasons, I think it's not the best approach for me now.

I really appreciate everyone who took the time to put their .02 in. It was really helpful.
 
Unless you want a "novel" that is a mess go ahead and finish it...later ideas may mean rewrites for earlier chapters.

If you want a soap opera that is ongoing and flexible, you'll have to take notes and be internally consistent.
 
As crazy as my life is, I think I am best off finishing the whole thing. It worked okay writing piece by piece on my first multipart, but for a variety of reasons, I think it's not the best approach for me now.

I really appreciate everyone who took the time to put their .02 in. It was really helpful.

You're welcome. It was one of the more interesting questions asked here at AH and I also found the various responses useful. Wouldn't mind seeing more inputs on this thread.

Good luck with the writing and let us know when the story is ready to take off.
 
I'm currently writing my first story, and it will probably encompass multiple parts, so this has been an interesting thread to read. The "broad strokes" of my story are actually not that hard since I know what I want to write about (and many of the things in it are true), but I find myself having difficulty when it comes to how I want to express and present the many details.
 
Back
Top