Movie Quotes

A story like mine should never be told. For my world is as forbidden as it is fragile. Without it's mysteries, it cannot survive. I certainly wasn't born to the life of a geisha. Like so much in my strange life, I was carried there by the current.

The first time I knew my mother was sick was when my father threw the fish back into the sea. That night we went hungry. "To understand emptiness," he told us.

Mother always said my sister, Satsu, was like wood. As rooted to the earth as a sakura tree. But she told me I was like water. Water can carve its way, even through stone. And when trapped, water makes a new path.

~ Memoirs of a Geisha
 
Tom Collins said:
Too much stuff about Labyrnth too look good in a quote

She was spoiled, but at the same time, everything that he did "for her" was sick and twisted in a demented and depraved way. He never offered these things, he just did them. He took her desires and twisted them to the breaking point and beyond to the point that you wouldn't even recognize them as what she asked for. He gave her no choice but to be ignored by her when he was explaining things at the end, because he wasn't making any sense at that point.


Also, if someone just gives gives gives like he thought that he did, that hands the other person all of the cards. Yuo can't just give in a relationship. You can't just do every little thing that the other person asks for. You can't just be someone's slave and expect to have an even footed relationship. It doesn't work that way. Not even between doms and subs. He was wipped from thebeginning.

And she did grow a little. She thought more about her friends andother people more by the end of the movie. It only took place over 12 hours. You can't expect someone to change that much over 12 hours, even in a fantasy. Plus, she (the character) was only 12. That's pretty good for a 12 year old girl (you should have seen my younger sister at the age of 12). The little bit that she grew was enough for me. It shows that she was capable of improving herself, and give me hope for her in the future.
 
Dying Young: 1991

Because I love you. And if you come back with me to the hospital and fight for us. Fight for us, I will never leave you. But you have to fight. And if you get well, when you get well, I'll be there with you. And if you die, I will hold your hand. I'll hold your hand and the last thing you will ever see will be me because I love you.
 
TheeGoatPig said:
She was spoiled, but at the same time, everything that he did "for her" was sick and twisted in a demented and depraved way. He never offered these things, he just did them. He took her desires and twisted them to the breaking point and beyond to the point that you wouldn't even recognize them as what she asked for. He gave her no choice but to be ignored by her when he was explaining things at the end, because he wasn't making any sense at that point.
Sick and twisted from our perspectives, TGP, not from his. One man's "sick and twisted" is another man's "charning and romantic". It's a cultural thing and no point in aguing over the right or wrong of it. For a long time I've been on the opinion that there is no absolute "right" or "wrong". The whole world is made up of shades of grey, and black and white exist only in fantasy. He did things for her because he thought it was what she wanted. Pure and simple. What he said at the end made sense to me, but then, I'm probably demended. LMAO

Also, if someone just gives gives gives like he thought that he did, that hands the other person all of the cards. Yuo can't just give in a relationship. You can't just do every little thing that the other person asks for. You can't just be someone's slave and expect to have an even footed relationship. It doesn't work that way. Not even between doms and subs. He was wipped from thebeginning.
You can't just give in a relationship? You're right. You should also accept that which the otehr gives. Sarah never gave anything but insults. All she really did was take. He was whipped from the begining...and because of this he surely doesn't deserve respect or caring, does he? I find it funny that our society looks down upon anyone who's not only capable, but willing, to give all that they can, and yet we look to those among us who will not reciprocate. We put the user on a pedistal where they may more readily piss on the heads of the givers.
And she did grow a little. She thought more about her friends andother people more by the end of the movie. It only took place over 12 hours. You can't expect someone to change that much over 12 hours, even in a fantasy. Plus, she (the character) was only 12. That's pretty good for a 12 year old girl (you should have seen my younger sister at the age of 12). The little bit that she grew was enough for me. It shows that she was capable of improving herself, and give me hope for her in the future.
No, you can't expect someone to change much in the course of 12 hours, but she didn't change at all so far as I saw. I didn't see her caring about her "friends" in relation to themselves, just in relation to herself. She doesn't give little Toby her bear, Lancelot, because she likes him now. She does it because it eases her guilt for giving Toby to the Golin King to begin with. In her room at the end, they're all saying "If you should need us?" And she's like, "I do need you." Again, it's about her. Her needs, her wants. She doesn't say, "I need you because I love you." she says, "I don't know why, but every now and again in my life for, no reason at all, I need you." That says to me, "I have needs that you fulfill, I don't know why this is, but it is and anytime I have need I'll call and you come running."

Where in the movie does it say that Sarah is only 12? Not in one place at all is her age mentioned and the girl, Jennifer Conally, is clearly well past 12. It probably say so in the book, but I've not read the book. Anyway, we're not talking about the book. We're talking about the movie in which Sarah's age is never brought up so we're left to conclude that she's very nearly an adult.
 
At the temple, there is a poem called "Loss" carved into the stone. it has three words, but the poet has scratched them out. You cannot read "Loss". Only feel it. My father and mother had left this life. My sister, I never heard of again. I had dishonored the okiya, so mother had other plans for me. I would pay back my debt, year after year after year. Not as a geisha. As her slave.


~ Memoirs of a Geisha
 
Tom Collins said:
Where in the movie does it say that Sarah is only 12? Not in one place at all is her age mentioned and the girl, Jennifer Conally, is clearly well past 12. It probably say so in the book, but I've not read the book. Anyway, we're not talking about the book. We're talking about the movie in which Sarah's age is never brought up so we're left to conclude that she's very nearly an adult.

You're right, she was 14 playing 12 (much like Natalie Portman in Leon). It doesn't say it in the movie, but that was how the character was written.
 
Pulp Fiction

Butch: Will you hand me a towel, tulip?
Fabienne: Ah, I like that. I like tulip. Tulip is much better than mongoloid.


Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
Who are those guys?
 
TheeGoatPig said:
You're right, she was 14 playing 12 (much like Natalie Portman in Leon). It doesn't say it in the movie, but that was how the character was written.
Sorry, TGP, but she, Jennifer Connelly, was not 14. She was 16. Born in 1970 and the movie was made in '86. Also, don't forget that I was once a 12-16 year old girl. Believe me when I say that I know exactly how self involved they can be.

My point about ehr age is that it wasn't relivant what age the part was writen for. Since they never say how old she's supposed to be we must go by how old she looks. The girl playing in the part did not look that young and so the audience is given the immpression she should be more mature.

Reguardless, we see the movie from different angles. You see the black& white and I see the grey. Neither is wrong...meerly a point of view.
 
Tom Collins said:
Sorry, TGP, but she, Jennifer Connelly, was not 14. She was 16. Born in 1970 and the movie was made in '86. Also, don't forget that I was once a 12-16 year old girl. Believe me when I say that I know exactly how self involved they can be.

Ok, so I got my years a little off and she was 16 playing 14 (I need to rewatch that making of special on the DVD again)...

and I saw how self involved they can be through my younger sister. Same story, different angles.
 
Kill Bill being on television, it brought to mind one of my favorite quotes in the movie, delivered by legendary Sonny Chiba:

Hattori Hanzo: I'm done doing what I swore an oath to God 28 years ago to never do again. I've created, "something that kills people." And in that purpose I was a success. I've done this, because philosophically I'm sympathetic to your aim. I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest sword. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut.
 
My favourite Hattori Hanzo line from Kill Bill.

Revenge is never a straight line. It’s a forest. And like a forest it’s easy to lose your way…to get lost…to forget where you came in.
 
From "District B-13" or "Banlieu13" for those French speakers in the audience:

Damien: "Right. Sorry to disappoint you. Hate wasn't part of my education, like you. They taught me liberty, equality, fraternity."
 
From one of the movies that had the biggest impact on me growing up.

Billy Jack

"You know what I'm going to do, just for the Hell of it? I'm going to take this foot and I'm going to whop you on that side of your face. And you know what? There isn't a damn thing you can do about it."

"Is that a fact?"

"Yeah, that's a fact."

WHAM
Still one of the coolest things I've ever seen in a movie.
 
Pride and Prejudice...

Mr. Bennet: I cannot believe that anyone can deserve you... but it appears I am overruled. So, I heartily give my consent.
Elizabeth Bennet: [kissing and hugging him] Thank you.
Mr. Bennet: I could not have parted with you, my Lizzie, to anyone less worthy.
 
It's been a bad year. And next year will probably be worse. - Mulay Achmed Mohammed el-Raisuli the Magnificent (Sean Connery) in The Wind and The Lion.
 
The L word - season 3, episode 7

Helena: "I don't want to be the lie you tell to someone."
Dylan: "Well, what do you want?"
Helena: "You know what I want. But I don't want it halfway, and I don't want it at someone else's expense. "
 
Water is powerful. It can wash away earth, put out fire, and even destroy iron.

- Memoires of a Geisha
 
I'm not sure of the name of the movie and I'm too lazy to hit imdb.com and find it:

Lady Terrorist: Don't worry, I'm a professional; this won't hurt a bit.
Keanu Reeves: Sorry lady, I'm an amature, and this is going to hurt like hell.
 
"Top of the world, ma!" (BOOM!)

James Cagney.

'The Public Enemy' 1931

also:

"I wish ya' was a wishin' well, then I could put a bucket in ya' and sink ya'. "

Cool movie.

Peace.
 
"You two must think I'm the cucumber in the garderner's ass."
Kitty (Susan Sarandon) in Romance & Cigarettes
 
Back
Top