Russia 2018

Sean

We'll see.
No, not a Trump thread. The four yearly orgy of sporting excellence and abject England failure has started.

The two lowest ranked teams in the entire field somehow wound up in the same group? I thought that was supposed to be impossible.

No, not a Trump thread. The four yearly orgy of sporting excellence and abject England failure has started.

Didn't think it was a Trump thread. I thought you'd stumbled across information that the Clinton Crime Family Foundation took over $100 million in Russian bribes … er, donations, at the time of the uranium deal.

Better than expected opening game. Saudi were terrible but the Russians played some nice stuff. I will be glued to it for the next month 😀👍

The two lowest ranked teams in the entire field somehow wound up in the same group? I thought that was supposed to be impossible.

No there is no seeding system in the world cup. Its all supposed to be random so you can find all the top rated teams in the same group or vice versa.

The Russians got seeded as hosts so it fucked it up a bit.

When you say seeded, what you mean is that they didn't have to qualify and so were guaranteed a place in the tournament. There is no seeding system for groups which is why we often see what is referred to as "The group of death"

Uraguay and Egypt about to start. No Mo Salah for Egypt so my money is on the South Americans 👍

No there is no seeding system in the world cup. Its all supposed to be random so you can find all the top rated teams in the same group or vice versa.

This is just totally wrong.

Oops. Own goal to lose in the 93rd minute. He's gonna be well popular.

This is just totally wrong.

I was most definitely wrong but not totally. The top seven teams plus the host country are each allocated a group. After that, the remaining 24 teams are allocated groups by pulling numbers out of a box.
You can't get the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the same group. However, you can get a group where the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th all have to play each other in the first round.

Back