Sandman 4.0(Closed for Sinister Spiders)

DungeonsOfDread

Dungeon Master
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Posts
1,295
Don sat down on the grassy field next to the lake, a soft breeze ruffled his unkempt dark hair. The clouds above him moved erratically and without any pattern. A pigeon flew past but and then did the same again like a recording stuck on repeat.

Dreams were always like this, reality intermixed with touches of the unbelievable. Most things had fuzzy edges and some were so vague it was hard to tell what they were supposed to be, in the end it didn't matter, as long as it fit with the dream creator. Across the lake a couple lay together laughing and chatting away.

Don knew they were both Dream-selves; real people who entered the DHub from the outside. Their features were too well defined and too clear, dream constructs; people created by the dreamer often had blank faces or slightly distorted bodies. Even though it appeared they were having a conversation neither one was actually saying anything of any relevance.

This often happened when two Dream-selves met, since their owners had no direct control over their actions in the DNet they were simply observers to their own subconscious. Often they would repeat the same sentence over and over or answer questions they weren't asked. No doubt the two of them would wake up and joke about it with their friends the next day.

Just then another Dream-self entered the world, whenever a Dream-self passed in or out of a new realm they shimmered and glowed as if bathed in light. This time it was a naked woman drench in sweat and dirt. Her face showed fear and worry as she looked around at her new environment, her Dream-self probably wasn't confused about her location she was most likely still experiencin the adrenaline from the previous dream. She caught her breath and then began to float in the air slowly rising toward the sky. Upon reaching the boundary her Dream-self dematerialised in a similar manner to entering the world.

That was what it looked like to wake up, or at least that was one of the ways a person woke up. The couple on the ground barely even noticed her and were still shared their unintelligible conversation. Don longed to return to the real world, unlike the woman who just left and the couple in front of him he could not return, not yet at least.

He couldn't remember how or even when he was trapped. His memory had become so distant it was like trying to grasp flowing water in his hand. Everything he knew was instinct and muscle memory. He knew his name but not who he was, he knew that unlike other Dream-selves that roamed the DHub he still had full control over himself. He also knew he was on the run, he wasn't sure why or by who but he knew that deep down he couldn't let them catch him.

His only goal was to return to his own dream, doing so meant he could return to his body, assumming he still had a body. Time in the Dream world wasn't like the outside, events didn't flow in order either. Some dreams were set in the past and others were predictions of the future.

Don sighed and stood up, it was time to move. His unique ability allowed him to always know the boundaries of a Dream. Dreams weren't cubes or even spheres, most of them had odd shapes and disorganised edges. For this world it was a tree on the opposite side of the lake. He headed toward the tree and pushed his way through, perhaps the next world would be his.
 
Joanne Johnson sat on the red vinyl barstool, foot tapping to the bouncy notes of the song playing through the speakers. She sipped on her milkshake, looking over at her friend Peggy as she ranted on and on. Peggy was a great friend to Joanne, they worked together at MedTech, Zenith’s larger hospital. Peggy had bouncy blonde curls and a bubbly personality to match. Jo’s own features were on the darker side; deep brown hair and slightly tanned skin. Her personality was much different to Peggy’s too. She was much more determined and practical, the kind of girl that got in and got the job done. Despite their differences they got along well, but that didn’t stop Jo from wanting to roll her eyes at Peggy in that moment.

Sandman 4.0 . The best thing in the entire known universe; or so the universe insisted. Top of the line dream immersion and sharing technology. Though, it was easy to be top of the line when Dreamscape was the line.

Despite resisting the urge to roll her eyes, Jo couldn’t help but sigh as she stirred her milkshake.

“So, the short of it all is that you had a really awesome weird dream and you felt like you were really a part of it?” Jo asked, perfectly manicured eyebrow cocking. Peggy’s bright smile faded and her shoulders slumped.

“Oh, Jo, I’m sorry!” Peggy said, hand coming up to cover her mouth. “I keep forgetting!”

“No, no, I’m sorry. It isn’t fair for me to take my bitterness out on you,” Jo said with a sigh, pushing her drink away, looking at her finger as it traced circle on the glitter flecked counter.

It wasn’t Peggy’s fault she was bitter. It was nobody’s fault apparently. It was just down to sheer probability. One in ten thousand. Against all odds she was the 0.01%. The one who Sandman wouldn’t work for.

Before purchasing the expensive yet terribly in-vogue device, consumers would need to undergo a simple half hour trial. They were hooked up to the Sandman and put into a sleep state. From there Dreamscape would analyse their interaction with the product. 99.99% of people would finish up with a tick on their record and a Sandman 4.0 device to take home.

Jo wasn’t so lucky.

Instead she was told she was incompatible with the device. During her trial her brain and body weren’t able to properly connect with the software. Instead, Dreamscape claimed the device had the potential to cause her great risk. Jo had left the store with nothing but a bad mood and disappointment.

Yet her friends continued to rave. Sandman 1.0 through to 4.0 were the best things to every happen to humanity. They spent a short, respectful amount of time nursing her in her self-pity before returning to their hyped up dream related conversations.

“You know what,” Jo said, getting to her feet and giving Peggy her biggest smile, “Forget Sandman! I have a real life to live! Let’s blow this joint. I want to go to Harry’s!”

~*~

Harry’s was one of the hippest clubs in Zenith. It was a mix of retro chic tech and the best mix of music in the zone. Everyone who was someone went to Harry’s; Jo and Peggy weren’t disappointed when they arrived. They met up with some of their friends from work, dancing and drinking well into the wee hours of the morning.

Then, as the night came to a close, everyone made their way to the street for a chat. Conversation once again turned to dreams and sleep, and Jo slumped against the nearby wall, yawning as she made a conscious effort to stay well out of the conversation.

“Jo, how are you?” Dick, one of the younger interns, sidled up to her, leaning against the wall next to her.

“Swell, thank,” She replied far too quickly and with a fake smile.

“I heard that you weren’t able to purchase a Sandman,” Dick said, voice hushed. Jo rolled her eyes.

“Seriously? I will never understand how gossip gets around so quickly,” Jo watched a mint green bubble car go by with appreciation, trying to distract herself from the direction of the conversation.

“Eh, it’s gossip. Must suck though? Did they give you a reason?” Dick asked, unperturbed by her attempt to avoid the topic.

“Because I’m apparently one of the zero point zero one percent of people who is incompatible with their system,” Jo repeated for the millionth time in the past moths.

“You know, I’ve heard the incompatibility isn’t really that much of an issue. It’s not like it will ruin your health or your mind or anything,” Dick said with a shrug. Jo frowned as she took the information in. If that was true, then what was the problem with it? “It’s more them covering their arses than anything else.”

“Even so, I can’t get access to a Sandman now anyway so it makes no difference.” Jo shrugged, pretending to be nonchalant as she stood up straight and smoothed out her skirt. “Look, I’d better go.” She went to leave, but Dick reached out, his hand on her arm stopping her.

“I know a guy,” he said, looking around furtively.

“Yes, and I know several,” Jo replied, annoyed. She tugged her arm out of his grasp but he stepped in front of her.

“No, I KNOW a guy. Someone who can get Sandmans, on the network but off the Dreamscape radar…”

Jo looked at him, properly scrutinizing his features. His eyes were alight with mischief, sparking hers to flare with hope.

“Really? Please, tell me more.”
 
Don

Don waded his way through the mass of bodies in what appeared to be a rave of some sort. The people dancing were a mix of Dream-selves and constructs, some looked liked they belonged others were wildly out of place. The song playing in the background was annoyingly on loop and it was almost as if the music wasn't entirely complete.

Don had mixed feelings about crowded dreams, in one way they were great for hiding and blending in but it also made it harder for him to keep an eye out for his pursuers. Before he could make the decision to move on a completely naked woman slid up to him and placed her arms around him.

She was definitely a Dream-self and she wore that dazed look in her eyes. She was a very attractive young woman with light blond hair. Dream-selves were only representations of how a person saw themselves so it wasn't ever exact but Don guessed she wasn't far off reality.

"Hey there" she giggled.

"Hey" Don replied, feigning the same drowsy look. It was better to blend in when encountering anything from the Dream world. DNet had built in fail safes that detected anomalies that were out of place in a dream world. In most cases they were just bugs in the system that needed to be purged but it treated everything in the same way. It usually resulted in that Dreamers world being removed from DNet which for everyone else would be fine, for him however he wasn't so sure.

At this point he didn't really have to act, the girl's Dream-self was clearly attracted to him and didn't mind rubbing herself all over him. Though he couldn't remember exactly, Don was certain this was the kind of activity he would have involved himself in often before he became lost.

Their dance was slow and slightly uncoordinated, much like their fondling. He always felt a slight amount of guilt when in these situations, after all he was fully aware and in control but his partner was completely at the whim of her subconscious. At this point he could only hope she was enjoying the show from the back of her mind.

Their light touching had escalated into much more defined fondling and Don knew where it was going. Unlike reality however there was no need to find a private room, the others around them were mostly oblivious to what they were seeing. Unfortunately for him and her sex in the Dream world wasn't the same as in reality, often someone's dream-self would lose interest or something else in the dream would randomly interrupt them. In this case it was the latter.

It was came as a tingle but not like it was in reality, even though it had been a while since been outside he still knew the difference. Don looked toward the source of his troubles. Usually in situations like these one would expect to see a fully dressed person in a suit with dark sunglasses however in the dream world things were a little bit different.

A middle aged man dressed in red and white flannelette pajamas zigzagged around the other dancer; moving with a purpose. Unlike the zombies around him his eyes held the intensity of one in control. If Don didn't already know the seriousness of the man's arrival it would seem comical being chased down by "Where's Wally".

Don turned back to his partner and pretended to lose interest in her. Normally this worked well but her Dream-self seemed keen on tagging along, it was especially difficult now that she had latched onto a particular handle of his as well. Don decided he needed a much more direct approach.

"Hey babe, gotta go, catch ya later." he smiled and winked whilst trying to extricate himself from her grip.

"Awwww....will I see you again." she whined, not really willing to let go.

"Sure! Whats your name?" Don replied adding a little bit more excitement to his voice. After all he didn't really want to leave, she was at least subconsciously willing to go further.

"He He He, my name is...ummm.. my name is..Peggy." She giggled. Don was never sure why but people always had problems remembering their name in a dream.

"Okay see ya Penny." He finally managed to escape her titan grip while he quickly made his way to the exit. It was extremely unlikely he would ever see the bubbly Peggy again but in short time he got, it was still worth it. Just before he slipped out Don turned back to see Peggy sliding up to another hapless Dream-self.
 
Dick had been true to his word. That night he had explained that he had a friend who was able to get Sandman machines and then hack them so that people were able to use them away from the confines of Dreamscape's rules and regulations. Normally, he explained, people used the machines for more suspicious needs, but he had sold one or two to people who were denied the machines, and it had worked for them.

So, working with a black market provider to bust the terms and conditions of a company's policy?

Not something that Jo was interested in.

That was, until, she had gone through another week of lunch room and dinner conversations about Sandman. It was all anyone ever talked about.

"Dick!" Jo said, tucking her data pad under her arm and sidling up to him as he finished up some patient observations. Jo gave him a winning smile and he laughed.

"So, you want my guy, huh?" Dick laughed, knowing exactly what she was after. Jo nodded. "I'll let him know."

~*~

Two weeks later Jo sat on her bed, holding the Sandman 4.0 in her head. She looked down at it, eyebrows furrowing as her mind raced with doubts. What if she truly was incompatible? What if she went to sleep and never woke up? Or the machine fried her brain so badly she would never be able to talk again?

The possibilities were endless.

Dick's friend, Matthew, had assured her that it would be fine, that Dreamscape were just using the 0.01% to cover their own rears against insurance claims. Never before had a person he sold a hacked system to suffered any horrible consequences.

Jo had told Peggy about her purchase though, and that she was intending to try it out tonight. She could imagine getting to work tomorrow, to see Peggy bright-eyed and eager to hear all about what had happened.

So, throwing caution to the wind and with a deep sense of foreboding Jo put the machine on and settled into bed for a good night's dream.
 
Don

Don slipped through the veil and into another dream world only this time he intended to be there. For an average user navigating the DHub was nigh impossible, firstly they had no control over what their Dream-self would do and secondly because every dream that connected could be different even if it was the same dreamer.

As with all human created environments there will always be a black market and the DNet was no different. In this case a group of rebellious individuals managed to hack the system to be able to create persistent Dream worlds that would always remain the same no matter when you visited them.

How did they get away with it? Don had no idea, maybe he used to but not now.

Regular dream-riders didn't often get in and when they did, they would be gently escorted away. For anyone else you had to know how to find them; they have a special signature that people like Don could hone in on. It wasn't completely accurate and most times you would have to jump through several dreams before getting the right one.

Don surveyed his surroundings, he had arrived at Old West Town. Exactly like the name suggested it consisted of a single dusty road that lead in and out of the dream. Along side the road were single storied shops that sold all manner of unique services. Unlike that traditional black market physical objects couldn't be traded, in this place, information was the main currency. Due to the complexity and depth of the DNet it was difficult to track what individuals were actually doing which meant that it was the best location for the underbelly of society to plan and communicate without fear of being monitored.

Don wasn't associated with the criminal element, at least he was pretty sure he wasn't. Even so, he still found this to be the best place to come when he was being pursued. Mostly everyone in the dream were Dream-walkers and since everyone was the same it was much easier for him to blend in. Don also came here because, like the others he was after information.

Not surprisingly the best place for him to get what he wanted was the tavern. The cliche western music played in the background as he passed through the swinging doors.

"Howdy partner, haven't seen you around these parts in a while." Joe the bartender greeted him. Don could never be too sure if Don was part of the dream or not, even though he seemed human enough he was always there. It was like the guy never left. The other creepy thing was unlike everyone else he actually looked the part; an old western bar keep in his mid fifties with a friendly face and salt and pepper hair. He even wore the bow tie and vest.

"Howdy Joe. Sorry I haven't been around much, I've been travelling around." Don pulled up a stool and eased himself down.

"Still trying to figure out who you are?" Joe asked. He was holding an empty glass in one hand and a cloth in the other

"Yeah still trying and still running away from whoever is chasing me. Have you heard anything around?"

"Rumors here and there. How about you?" Joe raised an eyebrow. This was how trade worked here, information for information. Don slumped in his chair, he hadn't heard anything new.

"Sorry nothing new from me except my new pursuer looks like a guy from a pajama commercial." Don joked. Joe gave him a sympathetic look.

"I'll tell you what, since you helped out my friend Rosie the other time, I'll give you this one for free. A drifter came in here a little while back and he was talking about a persistent dream that was a little strange. Firstly it defiantly wasn't one of ours and he also claimed it was detached some how, like there wasn't a dreamer attached to it." Don sat up straight, his eyes wide open now.

"Thought you might like it. Only problem is this drifter isn't around at the moment and there's only one person that knows how to contact him. Roy." Both Joe and Don grimaced at the same time. Roy was most definitely a criminal, and not the petty kind. Even worse, Don had crossed paths with him before and after he lost his memory; they weren't exactly friends.

"So I might have to convince him politely to help me?" Don joked.

"Yeah son, you go do that." Joe turned away and went back to cleaning other glasses. Taking it as his queue to leave Don stood up and nearly bolted out of the tavern. Roy wasn't easy to find and didn't always conduct business inside the DNet but it was a lead at least.
 
The hospital was busy. Jo looked around as machines and voices buzzed around her, she already felt overwhelmed. Then, off in the distance, she saw her site supervisor. She made to follow her, ask what their plans were for the overfilled corridors. Jo moved slowly through the crowd, each time she tried to step forward a new bed was pushed before her by an orderly. Or on the next attempt someone would collapse before her. Her supervisor was getting further and further away and Jo's frustration rose.

"Where ya going?"

Jo jumped, heart pounding in surprise. She looked to the side to see the familiar blonde curls of Peggy. Despite the fact that her hair was tied up, Jo could barely see Peggy's face. Her voice had sounded off too, muffled, but Jo knew it was her.

"I have to see Smith, figure out what to do about all of this," Jo gestured to the swarm of people around them, all sick and spluttering.

"If you have to dream, you have to dream. No working!" Peggy giggled, "I'm glad I found you. Let's have fun!" Peggy reached for Jo's hand and dragged her to the a door with an oversized, glowing red exit sign above it.

"No, we have to help-" Jo complained, tugging against Peggy's hand ineffecually. Peggy held tight though, somehow carving a path through the patient-littered floor. She pushed the exit open and pulled Jo through.

Everything changed. The world around her titled and she fell to her side, rolling down a huge grassy field with red poppies in the valley below. She rolled and rolled, Peggy rolling beside her and whooping with joy. Jo had a moment to register the odd change before she started laughing along, unable to control the giggles that bubbles from within.

Then the rolling stopped, it turned into bouncing. The green field below rolled and undulated, bucking them up in the air like they were corks on a wave.

"I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A CHICKEN!" Peggy's voice crowed from a distance.

Jo giggled, her body and soul free, far far away from the panic and stress of the hospital. The world fell away from beneath her and there was only sky, only freedom. She looked around and Peggy had disappeared, but that did't seem to bother her at all. Instead she flew, looking around her as boats and cats sauntered by.

There, in the distance, Jo spotted something. A bright glimmer, something shining and golden in the otherwise blue sky. In an instant she was there. Her feet now on solid ground as she looked up at Zenith's architecturally prized Town Hall. It stood tall, taller than she ever remembered, looming well above her.

She was late!

Shit! What happened to her alarm clock?
Jo realised it was 9 am and she was supposed to be at work. She turned, looking around the deserted city for a cab, but there was nothing to be seen. So she ran instead, the concrete paths sucking at her feet as she tried, but she ploughed forward, she couldn't be late!

~*~

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jo's alarm thrust her from her sleep state and into waking. She sat up, eyes snapping open as she looked around, her breath coming in fast bursts. Her mind whirred with the event of the night.

Her dreams! She remembered everything.

The busy hospital, Peggy, the rolling hills and the flying. Then the city, the huge empty city.

And work!

Panic filled Jo and she looked to the side, her eyes searching for her clock.

6.30.

Jo flopped back into bed and sighed. She was fine, everything was fine. The world outside wasn't empty, nor would she fly if she rolled down a hill.

She turned the Sandman off and disconnected from the unit. She laughed out loud then.

No wonder she never remembered her dreams before- they were crazy!
 
Don

Don felt like he'd been jumping from dream to dream for months, maybe he had. After a good start the trail was getting cold, Roy hadn't surfaced and his usual lackeys were no where to be found. Don sighed as he looked around the new scene, it was a busy hospital that was crowded beyond capacity. Don closed his eyes and extended his senses, he didn't expect to find anything but to his surprise he felt something at the other end of the dream. It was faint and slightly different to what he was used to but it was still something.

His eyes shot open and he scanned the hallway. Despite their attempts to fit in Dream-walkers always looked more out of place than riders, Don moved further down the hallway to get a better idea, it was always risky moving closer to another walker but right now he was desperate.

The feeling began to fade but not before he spotted two figures disappearing through the "Exit" of the hospital. Don decided it was time for a leap of faith, even if it wasn't one of the ones he was after, or worse, one of the ones after him, he had to know.

Don materialised in an open valley of grass and red flowers. The unearthly gravity in this new dream meant that every step was more like a leap. Don didn't have to search for long, his targets they were rolling down the valley laughing and giggling like little school girls. As he got closer he recognised one of them. Peggy.

He never thought he'd ever see the rambunctious young woman ever again. She was slightly more clothed this time and by slightly; she was wearing underwear. Her friend was wearing what appeared to be hospital scrubs which led him to believe it was her dream they left. Don could still sense the dream-walker and the location was centered around the two girls. After their intimate yet brief contact he was certain Peggy was just an average ordinary Dream-rider so that meant it was the other one.

Don tried to get closer so he could study her further, it was challenging because of open nature of the dream but he was able to improve his vantage point from behind a collection of boulders. She seemed like every other dreamer that used the DNet; totally unaware and out of control. They started bouncing and yelling nonsense at no one in particular.

Don honed his senses again to try and get a better feel for her, either she was an amazing actor or she hadn't discovered her abilities yet. It did explain why his sense of her was different but there was also something else, something he couldn't put his finger on. Peggy jumped out of the dream but her friend didn't follow, she flew up and away. Don was compelled to follow.

She zoomed across the sky over what appeared to be a city. She appeared to be looking for something even though this was clearly not her dream. Suddenly she picked up speed and blinked toward a large building. Don followed as closely as he could without attracting attention. Even if she did see him it was likely she would just brush him off as part of the dream but he couldn't be too careful.

She didn't stay for long and began running around the streets in a panic. The ground around her feet became wet cement slowing her down, if this her dream then Don wouldn't have blinked twice but it wasn't. She had manipulated the dream world based on her will; her subconscious will but her will nonetheless. Could it be?

Just as she was becoming more frustrated she began to de-materialise from the Dream. She was waking up. Don focused all his thoughts on remembering her signature, when she entered the dream world he needed to be able to find and recognise her again. It wasn't hard since she was so unique but Don had to make sure.
 
"Flying boats and cats?"

Those were Peggy's first words when she cornered Jo at work. Jo flushed, barely having come to terms with the oddness of her subconscious herself. She looked around the hospital, pleased that it was nothing like her dream. A quiet day, really, a blessedly quiet day. Jo had completed her rounds in near record time and was now chatting wtih Jo as they completed some of their notes.

"Well, the bouncing green hills were all you," Jo teased, looking at her friend. Peggy laughed.

"So what do you think, did you like it?" Peggy asked.

Jo shrugged.

"Yes and no?" She said with a sigh, "I think after all this time of building it up I'm a little... disappointed? Sure, it is super fun to remember my dreams but it was so weird."

"It was your first night," Peggy said with a shrug "It takes some getting used to. I can tell you though that it does get better. Some of the dreams I've had- phew!" Peggy fanned herself with her thin clipboard tablet, her cheeks flushing. "A few weeks ago I had a dream we were in Harry's and there was this guy-phwoar! Tall, dark and really handsome-"

Jo stopped doing her notes, looking up at Peggy with her brows arched.

"Really?" Jo's voice was low, "Did you-"

"NO!" Peggy said, putting up a hand in self-defense. "No, unfortunately I woke up."

Jo looked at Peggy for a moment, their eyes holding contact for for a few heartbeats before they both started howling with laughter.

~*~

Jo looked around, the familiar scene of Harry's thumping all around her. She wasn't sure how she got her, but she wondered if talking to Peggy about the bar in her dreams had inspired her. Perhaps she was looking for some tall, dark and handsome herself.

The music thrummed through Jo's veins as someone bumped into her back, she turned around and was pulled into a swirling dance by someone. She twirled and spun, laughing and tossing her head back as they knocked other dances out of their way on their progression across the floor. She was dizzy, her head spinning, as her partner felt like a solid rock against her. She couldn't make out his features, but in her dream she knew who he was. He was familiar, comfortable, she enjoyed being with him.

Woof, woof...

Her partner disappeared just as Jo was bowled over by Astro.

"Astro!" Jo cried, patting her darling dog as she waved her tail. "What are you doing here? Mum and Dad will be so angry!"

Instead of noticing the dog and complaining the people continued to dance around Jo as she hugged Astro, the dog's soft fur bristling against her pyjamas.
 
Don

Don was finally caught up with one of Roy's men. Nick "The Dick". Don wasn't sure where he got the name but it definitely suited his behavior. Nick enjoyed jumping between dreams looking for the next hapless girl to take advantage of. Being in the DNet meant that he could nearly play out every sick fantasy his twisted mind could come up with.

Don followed him into the next dream which happened to be a club. Good, Nick would likely hang around here as it would be much easier for him to pick up. Don spotted him sauntering toward the dance floor, his target in sight. Don was going to wait till "The Dick" finished up before intervening, after all he didn't want to scare the man away.

Then he saw her, swaying drunkenly to the broken music. This was her dream and she was Nick's next conquest. Don moved before he could stop himself, it was like being a dream-rider again; a passenger in his own body. Don didn't disagree with himself and went along with it, there was something about this girl that Don was attracted to, also he didn't want her tainted by "The Dick". Don looked back at Nick, he was still locked on so Don needed a subtle way to deter him.

Don didn't like making changes to the dream, it attracted too much attention from the DNet AI and other individuals scanning the Hub. Don weighed his options and decided to bear the consequences, like a wizard weaving a spell Don moved one of the Dream constructs to intercept Nick, it inadvertently spilled a drink on him when they collided. It wasn't real of course but it was enough of a distraction to allow Don to swoop in. Don joined his mystery girl; matching her movements beat for beat.

He felt lost in the moment as they spun around the dance floor, he managed to spy Nick huffing angrily and stomping off toward the exit. For some odd reason Don didn't care, he was happy that he saved her from an unpleasant experience. Now that Don had her he wasn't sure what to do, her dream-self seemed very comfortable with him but her eyes were still glazed over.

It shouldn't have surprised him but their dance was suddenly interrupted by a dog of all things. She acted as if nothing was wrong and began patting the canine. Don knew little tricks to keep the narrative going so he knelt down and joined her.

"Hey Astro! It's good to see you again!"
 
Jo smiled as her brother Kip leaned over beside her, his hand stroking their pet dog. Then, when she turned, she noticed that it wasn't Kip at all beside her. Instead of seeing his familiar blue eyes she was looking into the deep brown eyes of a handsome stranger. She smiled at him; even though she didn't recognise him she was instantly comfortable in his presence. Though she would probably be comfortable in the presence of anyone who patted Astro so kindly.

Jo stood up, stretching her back and looking around, a frown on her face as she realised that Harry's nightclub was no place for a dog. She tucked two fingers under his collar and led him towards the door, through the undulating bodies and away from the thumping music. Before she left the club though she turned and smiled at the stranger.

"You coming?" She asked.

They stepped out into the pink and gold hues of sunset, looking ahead and to the left there was nothing but white sand beach for miles, and to their right the calm waters of the azure ocean lapped at the shore lazily. Jo felt a ball in her palm and then held it up for Astro to see. He barked and bounced in excitement as she threw it. It disappeared off in the distance and Astro yapped after it, tail wagging in glee.

"How was your day?" Jo asked, turning to the man beside her and awarding him with a smile. Her brows furrowed as she struggled to remember his name. It was odd; how could she forget the name of someone who she felt so comfortable with. She felt as though they had spent years together, good years, yet her memory refused to work. It niggled at the back of her mind, irritating in the way a bee buzzing around you might be.
 
Don

Don knew his little trick worked when she asked him to come along. Dreamers tended to go with the flow when someone interacted with them comfortably. It was dangerous for her to be entering the world without any guidance, even though Dreamscape wouldn't be able to block her, other parties would become interested in acquiring her for their own needs.

He needed her to trust him first and to do that he needed to give her something that would get her attention. He gave her a winning smile before responding to her question.

"My day has been great, now that you're here. We wont be able to stay long though. Here let me give you my number." Don materialised a piece of paper in his hands and gave it to her. Her dream-self might not think anything of it, but it wasn't a number at all. It was a network address along with credentials to access the data.

Don was always puzzled about how he knew things but not how he knew them. He knew that he kept a diary of his first journeys into the DHub, it was encrypted and the password he gave her would only give the first few entries but hopefully it would peak her interest.
 
Jo

Jo took the paper from the guy, smiling at him as he handed it over. She was disappointed at the news that he wouldn't be able to stay. Jo looked down at the paper in her hands, trying to read it as her fingers folded it and tucked it into the pocket of her raincoat. Part of her was annoyed that she hadn't tried to read it, but she was unable to stop herself. She tried to pull it back out, but her hand refused to obey. Her fingers twitched in her pocket, but that was all she could manage as she smiled up at the man before her.

"Surely you don't have to leave so soon?" Her dreasmself said, reaching a hand up and putting it on his shoulder.

Jo's words were interrupted though as she felt something sizzle on her face. She looked up just as big fat droplets of water started to fall from the darkened sky.

"Oh no!" She cried, grabbing the man's hand and dragging him through the sand dunes as they turned to mud. On and on they ran, the landscape around them slowly becoming obscured, the splattering rain turning into a cold, thick fog. There were loud booms in the distance and flashes of light obscured by the fog. The scene sent a wave of fear racing through Jo, and she looked around them, trying to figure out where the sounds were coming from. Jo looked up at her companion again as her hand let go of his. Her mind rebelled at the thought of being alone in the fog, but she couldn't stop herself from taking a step back. Despite her inner smile she felt a cheeky smile tugging at the corner of her lips.

"I thought you had to go?" Her dreamself teased. Jo's heart was racing despite her calm exterior, she wanted to ask him to stay, to remain with her until they could find somewhere safe, somewhere clear and hidden from the booms and flashes. Jo tried to ask him to stay despite her teasing. She wanted to reach out for him again, but her arm was stuck against her side. She put all of her energy into reaching out for him, struggling against her own body as she yelled at herself in her mind. It took too much effort, more than she would have ever imagined, but something in her posture broke and she was able to move her arm. More booms and flashes filled the space as her hand tensed and flexed, before raising slightly towards him. Yes, she thought, pleased that her body had listened to her, even just a bit.
 
Last edited:
Don

Don sensed her suggestion or Dream-whisper as she tried to get her Dream-self to obey her commands. Though he couldn't recall all the details he knew the first few steps were very challenging. He rewarded her effort by gently grasping her palm, this time a warm sensation spread from his hand up through his arm and toward his chest. It was an unfamiliar yet comforting sensation and he didn't want to let go.

Before he realised it his body was already leaning toward her hid head edging closer to hers, their lips. Then he felt it; another Dream-walker. He quickly pulled back and stood up straight. There was no time to be subtle now if he could sense her this strongly then others would do the same. He needed to lead the newcomer out of this dream and away from her.

"I'm sorry but I have to leave. I will see you again." Before her Dream-self could protest Don dashed away leading the other one away.
 
Jo

The man grasped her outstretched hand and Joe almost cried in relief. His skin was warm and tingly against hers, the contact reassuring her and chasing away her anxiety at the horrid noises around them. He leaned forward then too, his lips inching closer to her. She willed her eyes shut and met no resistance.

But then he was gone. The warmth on her hand had disappeared and her eyes snapped open. The fog around her started to dissipate and she found herself in a strange carnival, surrounded by people in eccentric outfits juggling fire and knives. She wandered around the brightly coloured tents, her dream self seemingly interested in all the carnival had to offer, while her true inner self wondered just what had happened with that man.

~*~

When Jo woke, she remembered everything again. The club, Astro (who apparently just kept running on the beach without bothering to return), the fog, the struggle to move her hand, the almost kiss...

Jo wasn't sure if she was supposed to be able to control herself better. Her friends had never been specific in what they told her about their dreams and level of control. So, when Jo ran into Dick, the orderly that had given her the details of his Sandman-supplying friend, she pulled him aside into one of the medical equipment bays. Peggy was off work, sick, and she didn't dare ask anyone else for advice.

"How's the machine going?" Dick asked with a grin, Jo forced a smile.

"It is interesting... not quite what I imagined, but I do like it," She said with a shrug.

"What's wrong?" He asked, cottoning on to her hesitant tone.

"Well, it's just that she never does what I want." Peggy shook her head, "Well- I never do what I want. Is that normal? I just feel like a passenger?"

Dick laughed.

"You're just there for the ride Jo, your subconscious get the say in what happens," Dick said with a shrug.

"I know, but what if my dream self actually... you know- did what I wanted it to?" Jo said, exasperated at how she was having trouble figuring out to communicate between the real and dream worlds. She was also frustrated at her presence in her dream; she hated being a passenger, hated being the kind of person who just sat idly by while a world of possibility passed her.

Dick's eyebrow arched and his eyes hardened.

"That's not possible," He snapped, mood changing, "you use Sandman, you watch your dreams, that's it. There is no more to it."

"But what it-"

"What if nothing!" Dick said loudly, his stopped, noticing Jo's retreat at his tone and shook his head apologetically. "Look, I know what you mean. Who wouldn't love to control their dreams? It just isn't possible." He said. "You'll only give yourself a headache thinking about it."

~*~

Dick might as well have told Jo to keep looking into the idea of controlling her dreams. His snapped responses and adamant cut off had only served to futher her curiosity. Jo didn't like the idea of giving up on her own ideas, so she used his disapproval to fuel her fire. So when she got home from work she had a shower, wolfed down her dinner, and sat at her console.

Jo's research was unsuccessful. Nowhere on the vast and usually information filled highway was there anything about being able to control dreams in Sandman. Nowhere. Usually anything and everything could be found on the highway; to find not even one site dedicated to it... it was suspicious.

With a heavy sigh and tired eyes Jo decided to go to bed. She settled down under her covers, purposely avoiding the Sandman unit. She was already busy enough with work, another obsession would do her no favours.

~*~

Two nights later Jo caved. After two nights of vague and unsatisfying dreams that fled her memory the moment she waked, Jo found herself craving the ability to remember her night time imaginings. She had to admit that the thought of that handsome stranger did appeal to her. She didn't like her chances of seeing him again, but after what Peggy had said about her more risque dreams, Jo wondered if she might be able to have one herself.

So she pulled the Sandman from her bedside table and set it up, lying down and allowing herself the luxury of being pulled into a conscious dream.
 
Don

Don finally caught up to Nick, this time he was entertaining himself with a young blonde in what looked like a house made of candy. Don didn't interrupt this time as she was already showing off her oral skills on his namesake. Don felt slightly guilty that he didn't have the same protectiveness over this girl but he told himself that his new mystery girl was special.

Nick grabbed a fist full of her hair as she bobbed back and forward faster and faster. It wasn't long before Nick was unleashing his load in her awaiting mouth. She drunkenly stood up and wiped the left overs from her lips. Nick held her chin in his hands and smirked.

"Here sugar. Have a treat." He joked before shoving a piece of candy from the nearby table. She greedily accepted her prize and sauntered away. Don approached Nick after she left the room.

"Why are you following me?" Nick started before Don could open his mouth.

"How did you know? Never mind. I need to speak to Roy." Don used his business tone.

"You got a lot of balls coming in here and demanding shit from me! I think I might teach you a little lesson." Nick charged him but Don was ready, he leapt back with unnatural speed avoiding the attack easily. Nick looked shocked and confused but he recovered quickly and tried again. Don repeated his maneuver but this time he added a light kick to Nick's mid-section which sent him flying through the nearby candy wall. Brawls like this weren't unique for Don, even other Dream-selves liked to pick fights randomly. Unlike them and even some other Dream-walkers Don's abilities allowed him to bend the rules a little more liberally.

"What the fuck?!" Nick yelled rubbing his chest while getting back on his feet. He looked ready to keep going but then decided against it. Don decided to continue their limited but necessary dialog.

"I don't want to fight. I just want to see Roy." Don held up his hands in surrender to iterate his intentions. Nick scoffed at him.

"Roy don't meet anybody no more. He hasn't been in the DHub for months now. You wanna talk to him, you gotta talk through me." Nick sneered as he slapped his chest trying to assert false confidence. Don didn't want to deal with a middle man, especially if it was "The Dick".

"Forget it. I'll find someone else who can help me." Don sighed and turned away.

"You won't find anybody else like me. I'm telling you arsehole, Roy don't just meet people, especially little shits like you." He taunted. Don wasn't falling for it he began walking toward the exit, not wanting to lose his chance he retorted without turning back.

"This little shit, nearly beat you silly. Dick."

"Hey, wait! Look I might be able to help you." Nick actually sounded desperate. Don paused, something was wrong, a person didn't go from insulting someone to actually wanting them to stay.

"For a price." There it was. Don didn't even reply he made his way toward the exit and stepped through.

Just as he materialised on the other side he felt a presence beside him. Nick had followed him.

"Hey look, you haven't even heard my proposal." Nick grabbed him by the shoulder. Don gave him a look and Nick quickly retracted his hand.

"If I set up the meeting. All I'm asking you put in a good word for me, okay?" Don furrowed his brow. It sounded too good to be true, Don was seriously regretting chasing down Nick in the first place, the man was obviously up to no good.

"Okay okay, its like this, Roy and I haven't been getting along lately. Lets just say he doesn't like me walking around freely anymore, but someone like you, I mean if he sees what you can do, he'll listen okay?" Don remained silent, the reason he'd stayed safe for so long was because he didn't ever fully trust anybody, but he was desperate, he had no idea how long he could roam the DHub without a connection to reality.

"Alright, you set it up. I will let him know you are harmless." Don replied flatly.

"Harmless? I aint no little.." Don gave him the look.

"Okay okay sure thing man. Shake on it?" Nick extended his hand. Don wasn't in the mood.

"Right, not you're thing, guess I'm just gonna have to trust ya?" Nick beamed. Don didn't falter. "Gee, tough customer. Okay look Roy doesn't use the usual forms of communication. Look just follow me okay?" Don gave him a look of trepidation.

"Come on man you gotta trust me some time right?" Nick stalked off to the next exit. Don grunted and reluctantly followed, it was unlikely he couldn't handle any challenge Nick could throw at him but Don liked to be cautious.

They jumped between several dreams so fast that even Don was getting dizzy, Don thought that this was Nick's way of confusing him and was about to say as much but Nick finally came to a halt.

"Ah here he is, one of Roy's personal Dream-whisperer." Nick pointed across the forest at a half naked over weight man that looked like a mix between cupid and a drunk pirate. Don gave Nick a look a skepticism.

"Trust me okay?" Before Nick could interject, Nick jumped over to the man and began a conversation that could barely be described as intelligible. After they were done he returned to Don.

"Okay I gave him the situation and Roy will be in contact." Don stared incredulously at the odd man before responding.

"Really? How will he know where to find me?"

"Don't worry, Roy will find you." Nick beamed with satisfaction that he knew a little secret that Don didn't know. Don didn't want to give the maggot the satisfaction so he remained passive.

"Look just go about your business and Roy will contact you okay?" Nick slapped him on the back before departing. Don was considering following the man to make sure he wasn't up to something but he felt her presence at the back of his mind. He debated inwardly and made his decision.

Don found himself in a dream surrounded by bubbles. They were floating around what seemed to be an endless space and despite the fact they popped like regular bubbles they seemed infinite in number. Not far away he saw the girl giggling and floating around popping as many bubbles as she could with her mouth.

Don glided toward her and made sure she spotted him.
 
Jo could not remember ever being so happy. She floated weightlessy, surrounded by a sea of bubbles. She was wearing her favourite pair of swimwear, swanning about in the pretty place. the bubbles popped against her skin, the tiny points of contact tickling her and making her laugh. She opened her mouth, catching a bubble on her tongue and popping it. It tasted like cotton candy! Jo continued to swim, eating the bubbles as she went, sticking her tongue out to catch them and sucking them back against her lips with a look of pure glee in her eyes.

Then she froze. Her eyes focused on a figure through the curtain of the bubbles and then widened.

"You!Hiya!" She called out. Jo cringed internally, wishing she had said something a little less ridiculous.

Her body continued to float about prettily, but her cheeks heated in embarrassment. She struggled against her own skin to get into a more grown-up position. It took a lot of effort, but she managed to get herself a little more upright. She gave the familiar man an embarrassed yet pleased smile. She wanted to ask him who he was and why he kept popping up in her dreams, but every time she tried the words got stuck in her throat. She did, however, manage to get out a growl of frustration.
 
Last edited:
Don

"It gets easier." Don simply stated. Knowing that her dream-self wouldn't understand what he said Don began to pop a few bubbles of his own by waving his arms around wildly, he then spun around faster and faster until he accidentally crashed into her. He recovered by taking her into his embrace.

It was friendly at first but he sense it was becoming more.
 
When he spoke it was almost as though he could sense her struggle. Her eyes met his and his gaze was intense. He floated around then, his mind and body appearing completely connected, unlike anyone else she had met in the dreamnet. Jo wanted to ask him more, ask what he meant, and just how things could get easier, but her body wouldn't cooperate.

Then, the man spun out of control and crashed into her. She felt her body floating away from his after the impact, but he reached out, grasping her arms and pulling her against him. Their bodies aligned, his warm against hers, and her dreamself giggled as she looked up at him.

"Who are you?" Finally the words tumbled out, a product of both her real and dreamself's whim.
 
Don

Don leaned in close, his lips brushed her ears.

"My Name is Don, it will be easier to learn more about me when you're awake. Here"

He passed her the same piece of paper with the same information as before. He didn't want to confuse her dream-self too much for fear it might attract some unwarranted attention, so he continued the narrative of the dream.

"For the time being lets have some fun." Don let the invisible air currents drift them around the room again as he guided them in an uncoordinated dance.
 
Jo

Don, that was his name. Jo looked at him intently as he told her to find out more when she was awake. It made no sense to her though. He was a figment of her dream, how could she possibly...

Then he showed her. Her memory jolted and she remembered the slip of paper he had given her the last time. Her eyes flashed down to it again and she saw the information written there. An online address. Her dreamself looked back up at him far too quickly, but she could understand. As Don took her in his arms and guided her through an endearingly awkward dance amongst the bubbles she couldn't think of a better place to be spending her dream.

"You seem like a guy who knows how to have fun," her dreamself simpered with a suggestive smile up at him. In any other situation she would have not been anywhere near as forward as she was, but in her dreams she clearly had less reservations. She felt her body urging up, her lips angling towards his. Jo thought back to Don's comments about being awake, and the clarity of the information he had shown her on the paper. She balked as her instincts told her there was more to this situation, something she was missing.

Jo's rebellious body pushed forward despite her reservation, and in the serene setting of her floating bubble world her lips pressed against Don's.
 
Don

Don allowed himself to enjoy the assertiveness of her actions, he even returned the kiss. The feeling of touch in the dream-world was never the same as the outside, it was almost like feelings were just replications of their real life counterparts. Still though, it was better than no feeling at all.

As their lip locking became more vigorous a small nagging feeling tugged at the back of his mind. Her dream-self clearly wanted him but he also knew that with time she would eventually gain control of her body and her real self might not be as accommodating. His dream-self took over while his mind contemplated his choices and decided that her swim wear was no longer needed.

Don stopped himself before he could pull her top off.

"Wait, not yet. I..We need some time." He explained. Before she could protest he unraveled himself and floated backward.
 
Jo would be lying if she said that she didn't feel at least some relief that Don had pulled away. As nice as it was to kiss him, she was a prisoner in her own body, and the idea of kissing a stranger (albeit a handsome one) without really knowing anything about him wasn't something she was comfortable with. Her dreamself, though, was devastated. She felt a pout playing on her lips as one of her hands reached out for Don.

"Well let's get some time then," her dreamself said. The world around them changed. The bubbles popped with pleasant melodic tings and then a sun rose in the distance. It zoomed over head before darkness fell, and then dawn slipped by. Over and over the world around them changed until the sun finally settled on the horizon in a wash of mauve and burnt orange. Jo took Don's hand and led him over, her feet falling on sand until they reached a beach, some deep azure water stretching off ahead of them before it hit the oil-painted sun.

"Sit with me," Jo said, falling onto a picnic blanket that appeared on the sand and patting the spot beside her. "Tell me about where I can buy some time."

What a stupid question, Jo thought to herself, wishing she had asked something more useful. Something more like-

"Tell me about you," the words spluttered from her mouth and her dreamself froze, heart racing in confusion. The real Jo was ecstatic. She didn't know what it was that made the difference and allowed her to gain some measure of control, but she hoped it worked. She knew that Don was different somehow, more organic and interactive than anyone else she had met in the dreamscape. Even Peggy. And she knew Peggy in real life.
 
Don

Don enjoyed the change in scenery before answering, her dream-self was still mostly in control and so a deep conversation was out of the question.

"I don't really know. I could be anybody really, a cop, a doctor?" He turned to her with a sneaky smile.

"A criminal?" Her eyes were dreamy but he could just glimpse the edge of her true self behind her eyes.
 
"A time thief!" Jo called out, raising one hand in the air in triumph. Her mind rebelled at her sillyness, and she wondered if all dream-selves seemed this drunk. "That explains why you needed more time."

Jo watched the man, Don's, handsome face as his eyes looked into hers. Really looked, without the glaze and distraction of everyone else she had encountered in her dream. She wanted to ask him why he was different, what made him special compared to the other dreamselves, but she couldn't get the question out. Then, she had an idea. Perhaps if she went along with her dreamself's ravings she might have better luck.

"The other time theives... what makes you different?" She asked, the words were thick and difficult to speak, but she got them out. She hoped he would get their meaning.
 
Don

Don couldn't help but smile brightly at her quip, even though their conversation was still a little disjointed he could see her dream-self was trying to play along.

"You'll just have to wait and see." He replied enigmatically.

"But enough about me, how about you? If were going to bump into each other this often I'd at least like to know your name."
 
Back
Top