Problem with tags not saving

-Ripley-

Author
I am ready to submit my next chapter to an ongoing story and the tags won't save. I had this happen to a story a long time ago and tags have never saved on it. It's the same thing with this new one.

I sent a message to Laurel, so hopefully I'll get some ideas from her. Before doing that I tried to search in the forums, but tags is one of those words that the search does not like. So if there is a thread on this, I haven't found it.

Has anyone seen this and has anyone been able to fix it.

So far I have deleted the story 3 times. I have cleared my temp files and then rebooted. Nothing works. And on the other story, this problem has been around for years. I periodically try to add tags and it never works. Multiple computers, no different result, so it is something to do with the story.

Thanks for any help.

Nope, never encountered or heard of that. A direct PM to Laurel and/or Manu seems the best bet on this. Let us know how it worked out.

Pilot must be sleepy today; I don't know why he didn't question your meaning.

How do you know they're not saved? Once you submit, you don't see the tags until the story is approved. Are they gone entirely? Laurel has added/replaced tags in one or two of mine.

My husband suggests this question. What specific tag is first?

Are you using cut/paste or upload doc file?

I know they aren't being saved because they are not in the header above the preview of the story. As you know, that shows all the fields you fill in such as title, description, etc. The tags part is blank. Also when I click on make changes, the tags are all gone from the 10 tag fields. Finally, when I click on submit and then go back in to the pending submission, they are gone again. That is not normal. It isn't unusual for me to have to make some changes.

The order of the tags does not seem to matter. I vary how I put them in. And since this is the third chapter, many of them are the same as previous chapters. For that matter, they are common for other stories of mine.

I cut and paste, as I have always done. This will be the 35th submission for me and I have had it happen once before on a story submitted back in October of 2004. If I remember right, that was before the tag system but tags can be entered later and I added them to all my early stories. Only that one didn't work.

Again, thanks for the help.

Pilot must be sleepy today; I don't know why he didn't question your meaning.

How do you know they're not saved? Once you submit, you don't see the tags until the story is approved. Are they gone entirely? Laurel has added/replaced tags in one or two of mine.

My husband suggests this question. What specific tag is first?

Are you using cut/paste or upload doc file?

Yep, that's what I didn't question it. Because they should show in the preview of the story.

Well, I'm not the mind-reader that Pilot is. :rolleyes: I didn't equate 'preview' with saving so I thought it was after the preview that they weren't saved.

Hubby says something might be interfering with the sectioning of the datafile behind the page (whatever the geek that means). It could be a special character in the Description field before the tags or in one of the tags. Maybe you exceeded the field length of the description field or one of the tags. He was a computer programer but he is guessing. The best solution is contact Laurel with a PM, (not an email).

ETA: You should probably include what you are putting in the tags and the fields before them.

Last edited:
There are some tags that won't be excepted. Maybe the first one is one of those and the rest are gone because of the blank space. Try reordering them.

Just a guess on my part.

There are some tags that won't be excepted. Maybe the first one is one of those and the rest are gone because of the blank space. Try reordering them.

Just a guess on my part.

No, those prompt a warning when you try to submit and it goes back to the form rather than going to preview. The likelihood that all the chosen tags would be violations are slim, considering the limited number of restricted words.

The best solution is contact Laurel with a PM, (not an email).

ETA: You should probably include what you are putting in the tags and the fields before them.

Thanks for the suggestions :) I did send Laurel a PM, rather than an email. And the specific tags that I want to include are in the notes box, which I assume that Laurel has access to. The ones I used are:
lesbian love;
lesbian romance;
lesbian novella;
romance novella;
lesbian sex;
cunnilingus;
coworker;
closeted;
coming out;
love.​

I can't imagine any of them being a problem and all are well used tags.

I appreciate all the ideas! In the scheme of things, this is just a little thing. I like tags, believe in tags, but after working on finishing this story for 9 months I just want it posted! ;)

Don't assume Laurel can see the tags if they disappeared. What "description" did you enter? Convey that to Laurel, too.

I'm a little confused. The description is still there. And I added the tags in the notes box. Those notes also haven't disappeared. It is just the tag fields.

That's probably just because the speculation is just that--speculation. I'd stick with connecting directly with Laurel/Manu about it.

I'm a little confused. The description is still there. And I added the tags in the notes box. Those notes also haven't disappeared. It is just the tag fields.

What I have been suggesting (thru Sandy's posts) is that something before the tags is disturbing the delineation of fields in the datafile, something such as the 'description field' length or a character in it. Think of in terms of HTML formatting not turned on or turned off. I can see your tags look normal so they aren't likely the problem.

Pilot is right, continue the course thru PMs with Laurel. Nothing we say in conjecture will solve your problem.

Last edited:
It was a technical issue. She got it resolved and the system took the tags this morning! Thanks to all who tried to help! :heart:

For the tech savvy:
As an example to explain my meaning for the above post, I will relate what I encountered often in my years of programming.

Most data entry screens have fields (text boxes) for the user to fill in. Programming language code manipulates the data and puts it into relational databases (Oracle etal). In the SQL (Structured Query Language) code, text fields are delimited by special characters, usually double quote marks ("). Apostrophes are essentially single quote marks that SQL treats equally as double quotes.

If a text field contains either a quote mark or apostrophe, the character can abnormally terminate the text, leaving extraneous characters to displace following fields. The solution is for the programmer to allow for this by pre-scanning for the characters and doubling them (" becomes "") which alerts the SQL insert/update commands that the special character is part of actual text.

Some programmers use different characters as text delimiters such as pipes '|' or backslashes '\' to get away from apostrophes and quotes that are likely to appear. BUT, good programmers should still scan and double them up. What is often missed is limited length fields where the delimiting character appears in the last possible position, leaving no room for doubling.

This is probably more information than most care about.

Actually I like hearing it - it explains what goes on under the hood and it's helpful.

For the tech savvy:
As an example to explain my meaning for the above post, I will relate what I encountered often in my years of programming.

Most data entry screens have fields (text boxes) for the user to fill in. Programming language code manipulates the data and puts it into relational databases (Oracle etal). In the SQL (Structured Query Language) code, text fields are delimited by special characters, usually double quote marks ("). Apostrophes are essentially single quote marks that SQL treats equally as double quotes.

If a text field contains either a quote mark or apostrophe, the character can abnormally terminate the text, leaving extraneous characters to displace following fields. The solution is for the programmer to allow for this by pre-scanning for the characters and doubling them (" becomes "") which alerts the SQL insert/update commands that the special character is part of actual text.

Some programmers use different characters as text delimiters such as pipes '|' or backslashes '\' to get away from apostrophes and quotes that are likely to appear. BUT, good programmers should still scan and double them up. What is often missed is limited length fields where the delimiting character appears in the last possible position, leaving no room for doubling.

This is probably more information than most care about.

It was a technical issue. She got it resolved and the system took the tags this morning! Thanks to all who tried to help! :heart:

Thanks for letting us know. Hope that closes all of the speculative wheels spinning.

Back