Writing Goal for the Day?

I once had a friend who Dove right in and kept all sorts of things in case he needed them, and, like Woodrow Call, he ended up Lonesome because of it.

:D

OK, that was bad. I'm no good at puns.

If there is only one person who gets my many movie references, then I'm not completely hopeless. :eek:

If there is only one person who gets my many movie references, then I'm not completely hopeless. :eek:

Is it a McMurtry thing? I saw the Dove, Lonesome thing, when I read it again. I've never read or seen it. It's on the list.

Current viewing: The Manchurian Candidate (original)

Such a classic, Angela Lansbury is arguably one of the most terrifying human villains. Imagine that being your mother!

No kidding. And although I prefer this one, I thought Streep was decent in the remake.

Well, I kind of accomplished my writing goal for the day. I hit 6,000 words, which I thought would be halfway, but now it's looking more like only a third of the way done.

:eek:

Oh well. Happy writing to all, and to all a good night.

Well, I kind of accomplished my writing goal for the day. I hit 6,000 words, which I thought would be halfway, but now it's looking more like only a third of the way done.

6k? congrats! that's great!

good night.

Is it a McMurtry thing? I saw the Dove, Lonesome thing, when I read it again. I've never read or seen it. It's on the list.

Current viewing: The Manchurian Candidate (original)

Yep, Larry McMurtry. Possibly my favorite author. The paperback is over 900 pages, and the original miniseries is 6 hours, I think, so it's not a small time investment, but well worth it.

I went to bed at 8:30 last night. Sheesh, I was tired!

Good for you! :D I am afraid to set word goals at this point; I think I'd just get upset if I didn't meet them. So for now, just writing is what I'm aiming for. And speaking of writing, I finished (I think) the 4th chapter on the hockey story so now I can start the 5th and get on to ... what was it ... oh yeah, the sex. :p

Yep, Larry McMurtry. Possibly my favorite author. The paperback is over 900 pages, and the original miniseries is 6 hours, I think, so it's not a small time investment, but well worth it.

I went to bed at 8:30 last night. Sheesh, I was tired!

900 pages? Pah -- I read the unabridged "The Stand," which was over 1100. I have read War & Peace! I have read Anna Karenina (twice!). I am nuts. Haha. I've actually heard nothing but great things about both the LD book and series, and my husband has been busily collecting Westerns, so I'm sure we'll add both versions to our collection someday. And I like long books -- used to be in the summer I'd pick a long book so I'd have an "epic" read.

I went to bed at 12:30am b/c I am a glutton for punishment. Then my 3yo woke up about three hours later, but not for long, and thankfully slept until 8am. This did not prevent me from waking up with a headache, but I'll take the extra sleep. And the migraine meds.

OK LOVEBOAT! Todays goal is determining what sort of marbles work best at triggering my Rube Goldberg MOchine.

900 pages? Pah -- I read the unabridged "The Stand," which was over 1100. I have read War & Peace! I have read Anna Karenina (twice!). I am nuts. Haha. I've actually heard nothing but great things about both the LD book and series, and my husband has been busily collecting Westerns, so I'm sure we'll add both versions to our collection someday. And I like long books -- used to be in the summer I'd pick a long book so I'd have an "epic" read.

You sound like my 15yo daughter. She recently read 3 large novels over one weekend. I've never been that voracious, even when I was single and went 3 years without a TV.

I like to ruminate on one book before moving on to the next, esp. if it was good.

I have read Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, and Helter Skelter (author?), and Capote's In Cold Blood. That was in high school. My mother was concerned.

You sound like my 15yo daughter. She recently read 3 large novels over one weekend. I've never been that voracious, even when I was single and went 3 years without a TV.

I like to ruminate on one book before moving on to the next, esp. if it was good.

I have read Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, and Helter Skelter (author?), and Capote's In Cold Blood. That was in high school. My mother was concerned.

I couldn't do three big novels in as many days unless I did nothing but read. I'm a fast reader, but even I have my limits. And even so, sometimes I like to try to take my time and savor a book and make sure I don't miss anything. This is why I often am reluctant to buy books, as much as I like to read -- I can read your average romance in a day, and then it feels like it was way to much to spend for that. So I'm big on the cheap and free e-books.

Crime & Punishment was my first Russian novel, I think, and I was pretty apprehensive about it. I was afraid it would be this big philosophical thing but it really moved along pretty well. Same with War & Peace, although that did have various philosophical ruminations.

In high school I read a lot of sf and fantasy, plus whatever I needed for school. I did read In Cold Blood a few years ago, and it was good. Haven't read Helter Skelter. I don't mind true crime, or non-fiction in general, but it's not usually my first choice.

I don't mind true crime, or non-fiction in general, but it's not usually my first choice.

That's all I read for years. Quite macabre. I didn't pick up romances until my 30's. I was too sophisticated for such hogwash. HA! Boy, was I missing out on the fun.

I think my dd was reading a series, so the 3 were all the same story line.

Oh, and I heard back from my Australian VE. I have to give her credit, she was quick. But she said the chapter was good and didn't think I should change anything. I'm starting to worry about her credentials. (JK!)

That's all I read for years. Quite macabre. I didn't pick up romances until my 30's. I was too sophisticated for such hogwash. HA! Boy, was I missing out on the fun.

I think my dd was reading a series, so the 3 were all the same story line.

Oh, and I heard back from my Australian VE. I have to give her credit, she was quick. But she said the chapter was good and didn't think I should change anything. I'm starting to worry about her credentials. (JK!)

Ha, I'm with you on the romances. Didn't really start reading them until I found Lit a couple of years ago. I don't know that true crime is macabre, really. I mean, those are real events and I don't think there's anything wrong with being interested, to finding out how and why they happened. How is that different from any other historical event?

Yay for the editor. :) And I'm sure she was right. Now my beta reader is a different story. He's always nudging me on something. But that's okay b/c I can rarely read anything I wrote without continuing to tweak it somehow.

Okay. Family has had lunch and now dishes are in the dishwasher and it is running. I have put trash out, picked up the family room, vacuumed the floor, and vacuumed two rooms upstairs plus the hallway. Did some toybox sorting. Now I think I will put in some laundry and watch Kiki's Delivery Service and see if the kids notice.

Plus by doing this I won't feel guilty -- or will feel less guilty -- about any writing time I grab later.

Still plugging away at reviewing a Christmas short story book and have started set up for an every-other-year mainstream anthology I volume edit.

Don't relax yet, Great Quibbler. I shall still want your input. :p

Serenissima Syd, I am honored, as always. "How to Save a Life" is a fabulous story. If course, I wouldn't touch your plot or characterization, only mechanicals, and those very lightly.

I am working on Ch 4 of "A New Birth of Freedom." I'm going to need some heavy-duty technical advice from someone with extensive medical knowledge, specifically ob/gyn. So it's off to Editors' Forum to beg for help.

In the meantime, I've got a fetish story partially written. Time to choose which to work on seriously.

Still plugging away at reviewing a Christmas short story book and have started set up for an every-other-year mainstream anthology I volume edit.

First Christmas cards, then Christmas stories... you're making me feel stressed about Christmas, and it isn't even September. :(

First Christmas cards, then Christmas stories... you're making me feel stressed about Christmas, and it isn't even September. :(

The stress is all mine. I'm behind on both projects.

But thanks for reminding me--I'll have to cut the next batch of paper for the Christmas cards today as well.

Ever have that feeling that what you're writing is crap? Not in the, "oh, this is painful to write, it's probably crap," type of way, but in a "wow, I'm having so much fun writing this; since writing is usually a torturous affair for me, this must be crap," type of way.

Because that's the feeling I have right now. I almost want to find ways to make it torturous, just so I'll feel better about it.

Ever have that feeling that what you're writing is crap? Not in the, "oh, this is painful to write, it's probably crap," type of way, but in a "wow, I'm having so much fun writing this; since writing is usually a torturous affair for me, this must be crap," type of way.

Because that's the feeling I have right now. I almost want to find ways to make it torturous, just so I'll feel better about it.

That is exactly how it is with me. If at the end I personally think 'wow this is great' that is usually the kiss of death. When I muddle and struggle and say "This sucks" I get the best votes and feed backs.

I guess that's what they mean by misplaced confidence.

Ahem. What did we say about that name? :rolleyes:

I can't help it, that's the name of the movie. I'm thinking the onus is on you to start associating better things with that name. ;) And it was a great movie, so maybe you should start there.

No, no. Just because it flows well doesn't mean anything. In fact, when I'm not struggling, it's a relief! You really don't have to suffer for your art.

That is exactly how it is with me. If at the end I personally think 'wow this is great' that is usually the kiss of death. When I muddle and struggle and say "This sucks" I get the best votes and feed backs.

I guess that's what they mean by misplaced confidence.

Just because it gets the best votes doesn't mean it's good. We've been all over that in these forums. :) Beside, it should be what's best for the story, even if the reader doesn't like it.

[QUOTE Just because it gets the best votes doesn't mean it's good. We've been all over that in these forums. :) Beside, it should be what's best for the story, even if the reader doesn't like it.[/QUOTE]

Well lit readers can be fickle and quite offended when they don't get their "money's worth"

I have been walking a fine line with my series. A lot of darkness and it's not widely read but I have a great group of loyal readers who e-mail me all the time. Well 36 came out and I delivered something I have been alluding to since back in the early chapters.

In the last three days I have been told that I "took it to the sewer", "Am a sicker fuck than they thought I was" and "How could you let him do that?" More times than I can count.

I have been averaging close to 4.75 because it's a chapter series so I have the "core" votes. This poor thing is hovering at 4.53.

For the record? I was flowing very well writing it and thought it would be "lights out"

Oops

To make it worse 37 is complete and even more brutal I also think it's good so duck!

Well lit readers can be fickle and quite offended when they don't get their "money's worth"

Haha, yes, but when it's free, you get what pay for. ;) Funny, though -- my mom does balloon animals and stuff. When she's at an event for say a mall, where no one has to pay, she says those people are lot ruder than those who pay her for their kids birthday party. Strange thing.

In the last three days I have been told that I "took it to the sewer", "Am a sicker fuck than they thought I was" and "How could you let him do that?" More times than I can count.

I have been averaging close to 4.75 because it's a chapter series so I have the "core" votes. This poor thing is hovering at 4.53.

Ah well. You're getting a reaction, which is good. :) And 4.53 > 4.50 and = red H. Can't complain there.

Haha, yes, but when it's free, you get what pay for. ;) Funny, though -- my mom does balloon animals and stuff. When she's at an event for say a mall, where no one has to pay, she says those people are lot ruder than those who pay her for their kids birthday party. Strange thing

When I had the comic book store they had a nation wide "free comic book day" every May. The comics were not free for us-think we paid like .30 each, but we had to order dozens of each of the free titles so it added up.

Thing is the people would come out of the woodwork because it was free. And they would get mad because we would limit how many they could get. I mean some people would try to grab 20 or thirty.

The same people would only come that one time a year and drive around to all the stores. The last year I did it I got in trouble because I gave all my regular customers a "jump" on the day and let them come in Friday night and pick what they wanted. Figure they were the ones actually paying the bills.

I was told I could not participate the following year and had the nerve to tell me it would hurt my business. Ummm nope just kept the freeloaders out that day.

Back