Autumn Valley (IC)

The two women weren't Cody's only customers for the day, and it was fairly busy at the store as people picked up their usual items along with a few extra's for the night's events. The festival was a big deal in the town and Cody enjoyed it as much as anyone. He knew the brownies would enjoy it since he would be out late, and pretty much able to do whatever they wanted. Well, Abigail would have something to say about that, but they'd still mess about more than usual.

After seeing the last of the customer's out Cody checked the decorations one last time. He than tended to the pagan symbols he put up to honor his late wife Beatrice as well as honor the family which took him in when he woke. He was proud that the country became a tolerant place for religious freedom or at least resolved to keep working at it. For him the deep sleep was more like time travel. Few could say they went to sleep in one century and awoke in another.

He gave the store a basic clean up and than headed upstairs followed by Abigail to shave and shower. He pulled on boxer briefs, socks, and a pair of jeans. He smiled at Beatrice's picture and put on a black t-shirt with a silhouette of a pointy hatted witch flying passed the moon. He put on a hoodie and laughed to himself.

He was sure she would have approved. Hell she would probably be giving out Witch in Training to every little girl for free.

He regularly thought of Beatrice and sometimes he found himself having conversations with her when he was alone. Well maybe not talks, but he would discuss things and only stop when he looked for a reply and was greeted with silence. He knew she was gone and he was doing his best to move on, and tonight was an important step in the right direction. Abigail hopped off the dresser almost sensing he wanted to be alone and padded down the stairs.

Well I'm going out to the festival tonight, and while I'm not going to do this just to meet someone I hope too. They're a lot of good women in this town, and I'd like to get closer to one. There is no replacing you honey. You'll always be in my heart, and you'll always be with me. That means a lot to me. I hope it means a lot to you as well.

With that he smiled at her picture one last time and headed out for the night. He was going to have a good time, and was feeling good. He got in his pickup truck and headed out. He turned up the music and headed out to the farm. It was a beautiful night for the festival, and he knew he'd have a good time.

Once there he found a place to park and walked in and headed towards the food. It was only a short walk, but he had to to go through a gauntlet of friends and customers from town. After many short conversations, hand shakes, and kisses on the cheek he made it to the beer.

He enjoyed the local beer even if it was different from what he'd grown up on. It was a happy time, and after getting a plate of food he made his way towards the stage to listen to the music.
 
Kayla giggled at Sam's silly dance moves, her smile lighting up her face as they danced together. Occasionally her eyes would be drawn to the stage to watch the band, the expertise on those instruments. The two remaining Draven brothers and their father, and the lovely Teagan, all rocking their instruments in a beautiful combination that really worked.

Her gaze was always drawn back to her dance partner, finally being brought together, her breath catching in her throat as she found herself with his arms as they swayed. "It's a long long story." her voice just loud enough to be heard by Sam over the music. "Short version is I'm a Dryad, my only family being my lovely Tree that I care for." She smiled whistfully, still unable to admit the history of it. Maybe when she knew him better. "I've watched this town grow and evolve. So many long standing families that make up this intricate web. People are very protective of this little haven, you may of noticed." She looked up into his eyes, tilting her head curiously. "And what of you? Where do you come from? What did you leave behind to come here?.. and why here?"
 
"A dryad? Well that's something wonderfully new for me. Yor look nothing like what I would have imagined a dryad to look like." He curled his fingers inward a little and grazed his knuckles slowly up and down her back. "You are much softer than I would have imagined." His smile softened but didn't disappear. "Yes, so I've noticed. Especially that red-headed deputy. She thinks I'm trouble." He laughed knowing how true that could be sometimes but he really hadn't given her much reason for it so far.

Their dance continued to move them amongst the crowd of villagers. He gave smiles and nods of recognition to the few people he knew that came near the couple. "Well I was born in Ireland but we moved to the states soon after. My mother was originally from America. We traveled around alot, up and down the east coast. I never knew any family but her. I don't even know if I have any. When I turned 18 she left. Mumbling something about my father and that she couldn't look at me anymore." His story didn't seem to sadden him or make him feel uncomfortable in the telling. He had obviously dealt with the issues long ago. "So after she left I kind of just wandered from place to place. Always near water though. I have a compulsion to be near it. So now I've wandered into your town and found you. Both of which are far more interestingthan any other place I've been." His full smile returned as he looked down into her lovely eyes. The music floating past them like the wind through the trees.
 
Sigmund and Sophia

Sophia raised her eyebrows, "And what other venture might that be that can be done at the edge of a dance floor?"

Teagan began a folksong of sorts that was in waltz time as if she knew what the two wanted. Or perhaps it was just that many couples were on the floor now and it was time to slow things down a bit.

"I expect our little violinist might accommodate us with a tango at some point, if the band doesn't insist on going back to more electric selections." She looked around and saw Luke occupied with a woman, "But that seems unlikely just now."

Sophia led Sigmund into the midst of the dancers and then holding her arms in the proper position waited for him to take the lead. One could tell a lot about a person by the way they danced with a partner. Was he a strong lead? Or tentative? Did he do the same things over and over, or did he surprise occasionally? She did not expect Sigmund to disappoint.

-----

Teagan smiled broadly and dipped her violin in greeting when she caught Cody's eye. It was good to see him here. She thought he spent too much time by himself. She knew his wife was dead. It made her sad. She lost her father when she was four. She knew what that kind of pain was like. Her mother had never remarried. It just made her sad.
 
Sigmund smiled in a slightly devious fashion as he took her hand in his left and rested his other arm across her shoulder blades as he looked into her eyes.

"I think the other venue is better suited towards more private circumstances rather than a dance floor." He said simply before he turned his head to the left hoping he remembered the hold correctly even though it was hard not to want to lose oneself in Sophia's gaze as he enjoyed the feel of his arm across her back as he caste a look down to make sure his feet were set correctly in preparation for the first step.

Once he was sure everything was set he gave her one last look before returning his gaze to the before he made the first step and lifted up his foot to move forward enjoying the music as his mind worked out the rhythm of the dance as he moved with his lovely partner.
 
Luke smiled at Renee and took her hand. "You're over-thinking it. Come on." He pulled her closer to the stage and put a strong arm around her waste. He used his hand to give little gestures leading her in a simple folk dance to the 3/4 beat of the song. She was self-conscious and stumbled a little, but Luke continued to lead her gently. He kept her in a space close to the stage where the crowd wasn't as thick. He just maintained his smile as the bright light of the full moon mingled with the old-timey lanterns to create a rustic, charming atmosphere.
 
Renee with Luke @ festival

Renee had to laugh, if only nervously, at Luke’s comment. He had hit the nail on the head there, one thing Renee did was over think almost everything. Yet at the moment she really had no choice but to live in the moment, her hand taken securely and all but lead towards the stage. For a moment Renee was terrified as she thought he meant to take her up on stage, but, they came to simply stand near it. He was at least kind in his attempts to dance and Renee tried her best, though she was, unfortunately, rather ungraceful. She stumbled more than she kept pace, a heavy blush upon her cheeks. It was hard not to notice just how strong his embrace was, even if he was holding her lightly. After a few moments she managed to gather enough nerves to actually look him in the eye.

“You are a pretty good dancer. I--” Renee began, a hint of confidence as she lost herself in the moment, though just as she did she stepped on the side of her foot and her ankle gave out. Instead of lurching to the side though she reached out to grasp at the broad shoulders before her, literally smashing her lithesome frame against his own to ensure she didn’t tumble head over heels. She couldn’t look up now, her face was red and she felt the heat radiating down her cheeks and even her neck.
 
"More a Wood Nymph actually, less 'barky'." Kayla giggled along, swaying her hips in rythem as they rocked back and forth. She nodded slowly, "Oh that's Fi.. don't mind her, she thinks everyone's trouble..." She smiled fondly as she thought about her. A curious one.. if only Kayla could get her to stop smoking....

Kayla nodded as she listened to his story, and then blushed at the end. "Well, this is as good as place as any to settle down. We're fairly self sufficient, and we look after our own. And you'll love the unusual characters around here." Her eyes trailed across the crowd, "Everyone has their own story." she murmured. She noted how many people had paired up tonight. Sig and Sophia about to start dancing a short distance from them, and Renee and Luke looking cute, dancing nearer the stage. Everyone looked like they were having fun, what a lovely night. Her gaze returned to Sam and she smiled softly. "I fancy a drink, you want one?"
 
"Oh I don't mind her. Our confrontations are the highlight of my day sometimes." As the song drew to a close, he pulled apart and applauded appreciatively along with the rest of the crowd before the band started another song.

"A drink? Sure." With a mischevious glint in his eye Sam made a fist and brought it inches from his lips before tilting his head back and pouring a stream of crystal clear water into his open mouth. "Ahhhhhhhh." A satisfied groan escaping him as he offered her his fist as if it were a glass. "Want a sip." He tried to be serious but couldn't help laughing out loud. As his laugh trailed to a chuckle he slipped his hand in hers and pulled her along towards the refreshments, glancing back occasionally to smile at his date.
 
Sigmund & Sophia on the dance floor

Sophia followed Sigmund's lead as they went around the floor. She was a fine dancer herself and knew how to make an adequate dancer look even better. Her posture was good and their height difference made them a handsome pair when dancing. Or not dancing.

She smirked at him, "Someone once said that dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire." She put her right hand on the back of his neck. So that when the waltz was over she was much closer to him.

Stage

Teagan took a little bow along with the rest of the band before striking up another tune. It was a lively song that people could dance to any way they liked. She had brought her favorite violin tonight. IT was more than appropriate for an October festival.
 
Sigmund enjoyed the dance with Sophia. It brought him back to a far simpler time and made him thing of home and a few nights in Paris where he held different women. The style of the clothes and the venue may have changed but the fluid 3/4 time step was still there and Sigmund managed well especially in Sophia's care as they moved around amongst the other dancers.

"They were a very wise individual." He said in the tongue they shared between the two of them. Sigmund gave her a warm knowing look when she moved to be closer to him. The feel of a woman so close at hand while dancing or in any fashion was always something Sigmund had enjoyed fervently and he found he could not recall the last time such a peaceful near perfect moment had been achieved.

As the song wound down he leaned in his head to yours while still facing the opposite direction though he turned his head ever so slightly.

"So what do you desire this beautiful night mon cherie?" He asked before the music started to fade though he held her close to him all the same.
 
Last edited:
As the song to it's resounding conclusion, Kayla applauded loudly too, cheering along. The thrilling mix of Teegan's spooky violin really put a twist on the rock that everyone had so far been enjoying. She looked back to Sam and giggled, not quite sure if he really meant it. At first she wrinkled her nose at the thought, but was just about to stick her tongue out as Sam pulled away laughing and dragging her off the floor. Her cheeks flushed a little red.

Together they walked along the refreshment table till she found something she liked, a sweet fruit drink with a smidgen of alcohol. She sipped it appreciatively and watched Sam to see what he would pick.
 
Sophia arched an eyebrow and made a wry smile. "I am usually the one asking that question." She stayed comfortably in his arms waiting for the next song. "Are you a genie that you can grant my desires? I desire many things. But do I need them?" She shrugged her elegant shoulders. "For tonight, I desire to enjoy the festival in the company of a handsome and, I must say, intriguing man."

They started moving to the next song, one in 2/4 that one could do a foxtrot to. "Perhaps later tonight, I will ask you that question." She gave him another sultry smile.
 
Sigmund and Sophia cutting up the rug ;)

Sigmund's lips curled slightly in appreciation of her answer. "I look forward to it." He said with his gray eyes slightly shining in the night as he heard the next song start up again. Adjusting his hands to transfer from Waltz to Foxtrot he moved his hand holding her's up and pulled his hand back from across her back to just resting there before he settled into the pacing. Sigmund found he enjoyed the Foxtrot a little more given they could look to each other instead of in different directions.

"Tell me more about yourself Sophia. As things go you still have me at a disadvantage as to how much we know about each other..." He said simply as their legs moved to the beat that was a bit faster then the waltz was. Sigmund found her enchanting to say the least and he was interested to learn more about her and what had brought her to Autumn Valley along with what gifts she may posses if she were to indulge him.
 
Sam gave her hand a gentle squeeze, enjoying the feel of it in his grasp. He noticed the reddening of her cheeks even in the dim light. "Oh..I'm sorry if I embrassed you. I can't but tease especially when it's someone I like. You are cute though when you blush. And if you ever do want to try a sipI won't pull away next time."

He glanced at the beverages offered and thought he would prefer his own but it would look awkward amognst so many people so he settled on a hard cider. He continued to walk them towards the register so he could pay for their drinks. He smiled politely at the Draven matriarch and thanked her before stepping away to make room for the next customer. HE lead them around the edge of the crowd to a spot where they could see the band and people watch. Claiming too lawn chair's next to each other he offered kayla a seat. "Having fun so far?"
 
Siggie & Sophie

"Sigmund, I would say I know as little about you as you do about me. I know that you know I am the proprietress of the Black Cat and that we offer more than the usual top shelf liquors. If your journey has brought you to Autumn Valley, then you must know that all of us who stay...have...special gifts. Mine is rather mundane compared to many here. I am a practitioner of arcane arts. A rather gifted one, if I may say so without sounding full of myself."

She continued to dance for a bit before speaking again letting what she said sink in.

"And you, Sigmund? Do you have any special gifts?" She was sure he wasn't a werewolf or she would have had him back in her room already. Damn dogs and their charisma.
 
Sigmund looked at her slightly lost for the moment as he considered her words. It was true he knew some stuff about her but he felt sure it was only the top layer. He knew that most people in the Valley had gifts but he was still interested in learning more including specifics for one.

"I'm afraid it's nothing too exciting as being able to summon fire or ice." He said with a humble smile as they moved from the first dance point again as their legs glided to the routine.

"Occasionally I will get, a feeling you would say. Almost like a hunch or just intuition that something is coming, something dangerous before I see it or here it. Sometimes the feeling is focused on me specifically other times it will hone in around a person." He said even though as with the event in Germany he still felt a bit weird speaking of it so openly. He debating telling her about the other part of his 'gift' given he was never quite sure how people would react to it.

"And since Germany I have never physically aged from that time. I was in my 34 in 1918." he said and watched her eyes for any sign as to what she was thinking concerning the information. Then again he mentally remarked that things were different here and that perhaps people who lived longer were not so uncommon. Of course it was another part of his abilities that made him so infuriated sometimes and caused him to enjoy alcohol perhaps more than he should. He was roughly 124 give or take a few years given occasionally his memory of his life before the event was shrouded to him as if a mist covered them from his mind.
 
"So you have a psychic alarm system." Sophia said, "Sometimes the least exciting abilties can be the most useful."

It was Sigmund's next statement made Sophia actually stumble. She could not remember the last time she had made a misstep while dancing, certainly not with a partner like Sigmund.

"Sorry, I wasn't expecting you to say anything like that. It is rather extraordinary." She searched his face as if to discern the truth to what he had said. "The McCormacks--our little violinist is one, have faery blodd and live happily on a faery rath. They all live full rich lives and long, but none have stopped aging. The same can be said of the werewolves--you do know we have werewolves here? The gods must have a reason for keeping your age suspended as it is."

She wondered if he could truly be immortal.
 
The man from England made sure to quickly move to help her when she had the little misstep.

After they got back into the movement Sigmund lowered his head slightly. He did not feel extraordinary when he had tried to find old friends and only to confuse and scare them given the few originals he found did not enjoy his curse. It was partly the reason he had taken to being a bit of a recluse even there.

"I apologize for throwing you off though you definitely handled it better than some others I've told." He said with a weak smile though he pushed himself to keep his face cheerful. It was a beautiful night and he was sharing it with an amazing woman. He wasn't going to let the little revelation ruin it if he had anything to say about it.

"Yes though I had heard that there were werewolves about these parts though I am unsure if I've met any of them in person yet. And if the gods have a plan or reason for what they're doing I would just ask them to give me some clue." He said with a slightly saddened tone before he gave her a warm smile. He may not have believed in multiple gods but he definitely on occasion had felt something mystical or spiritual about life and his experiences. He was not sure which it was but frankly didn't much care to explore them in depth given he knew it was out there, subtle but there.

"But that is not my concern tonight." He said as his hands continued to hold her close as they danced to the song. "Unless they see fit to explain their purpose then my only whim is to enjoy your company and the pleasures of the festival." Sigmund said as his greyish eyes looked warmly into her hazel ones as the two continued to dance together under the night sky.
 
Kayla couldn't help but giggle, squeezing Sam's hand fondly, but she didn't remark on the offer, just smiled and sipped her drink. She thanked him softly as he paid, and grinned at the knowing smile offered by Cora Draven at the till. She bowed her head respectfully as Sam whisked her off to a perfect seating area. Their hands finally parted as she sat down gracefully beside him.

"Mmm" she answered, with a morsel of drink still left to swallow. She did quickly, and licked her lips appreciatively before continuing. "Definitely. I dont get to dance much, usually I just watch. Everyones so on form tonight, it's lovely to see." She looked over at her new friend. "How about you, having fun?"
 
Meanwhile, over at the mason square, beneath the massive wickerman, some mischief was afoot. What started as a sneaky adolescant drink turned into a drunkern rampage through the village. They giggled and howled with laughter as they tore up the place. They didn't care for anybody or anything as they pulled down decorations and destroyed flowerbeds. They thought it was hilarious to ruin all the colourful and delicate flowers in the shadows of the Wickerman. Finally they were stopped by several citizens and shopkeepers but the damage had been done. The passer-bys tutted at the destruction. One of them thought it best to go tell Kayla. Slowly they made their way through the dance crowd to stand before Kayla and Sam, a sympathetic expression on their face. Gently they let Kayla know about her precious flowers demise and she gasped harshly, the sting of tears coming to her eyes. With a wail she leapt up and sprinted in the direction of the square. She could move surprisingly quickly. Her tears were flying freely as she reached the square. Kayla fell to her knees as she examined the flowerbeds, most had been trampled or ripped up. She sobbed into her hands, as the years hard work had been for naught. She couldn't even look at anyone, not even Sam, she just took off, disappearing into the night as she fled home, slamming the door behind her......
 
Sophia smiled ruefully. "It seems, even now, things can still surprise me. I have known many who have lived a very long time, but all have aged, only very slowly. That you seemed ot have stopped aging altogether--That is quite remarkable. I know many women who would love to know the secret." Myself included.

Besides the misstep gave her a chance to feel Sigmund's strong arms support her.

((I'm not sure if the werewolves have control over their transformations at the full moon or not. I'm assuming they do.))

"Our werewolves are not as the legends portray them, although I am sure there must be a grain of truth there somewhere." She inclined her head to where Luke was standing. "The family that owns this farm--all the men are werewolves. I could have used you the night Luke celebrated his twenty-first birthday. He became rather unruly. He hasn't really looked me in the face since."

Sophia quirked her mouth into a smile. She was not the most beautiful woman at the gathering, not when there were so many nymphs and faeries in attendance, even with glamours on. But Sophia had an air about her that made her than that. An air of restrained sensuality, a sex appeal. If one thought of her as some mythological being, they might think she was a vampire or succubus. She was neither, she was simply a woman who knew how to use her charms.

"I will happily be your guide to the pleasures we have to offer here." The song came to a close. "Perhaps some of the mead from Dingleberry Farm--silly name. I hear the honey used in it is harvested by naked pixies by the dark of the moon. This year's batch of elderberry is exceptional. Perfect for this time of year. It has the hint of the grave in it." Indeed, this batch had an earthy peaty quality. Although, Sophia enjoyed the guilty pleasure of the raspberry mead with dark Belguim chocolate.

She frowned at the commotion. Seemed some underage drinkers had caused a problem in town. They should know better. The fey did not like their holidays ruined. She wouldn't be surprised of the offenders awoke in the morning with the worst case of warts the town had ever seen.
 
'All werewolves.' Sigmund thought as they continued to dance. He truly wondered if he was immortal. How could one tell that exactly. It was always part of why he sought out information about what had happened to him. But tonight he kept those thoughts away.

When the song slowly came to an end he bowed his head to Sophia in thanks for both the dance and everything she had already done for him in a single day. He was interested by her comment concerning Luke. Sure he may have been able to detect something was going to happen but Sigmund was unsure what he could have done against a werewolf, let alone an unruly one.

"That's unfortunate given it is such a exquisite face." Sigmund said with a warm curl of his lips as he relaxed his grip on her hands slightly once the song was over. At the mentioning of some mead made in the most interesting fashion Sigmund have heard of he nodded to Sophia.

"The mead sounds like something that I must sampe. Lead on Sophia, I leave myself in your capable hands." He said as he stood close to her for a moment and then led her off the dance floor before he prepared to follow her lead to this Dingleberry brew.
 
((They do. Their lycanthropy isn't a curse, it's more of a family inheritance. Luke will at some point mention the family theories about where the Draven lineage started.))

When Renee tripped into him, Luke was somewhat surprised. A soft chuckle slipped out of his throat. "Well, if you're this flustered, maybe we should take a break." He scooped Renee up in his arms bridal style and carried her to a hay bale set up as a bench on the edge of the lantern light. He set her down and looked across the crowd. "You want me to get you anything as long as I'm up? A drink maybe?"
 
Siggie und Sophie

Sophia chuckled. "You are quite the charmer, Sigmund." She held onto one of his hands and led him to the refreshment line.

"Two of the elderberry mead, and some pumpkin bread, I think." Sophia pulled a slim wallet out of an inside pocket of her jacket to pay for them.

She took a seat on one of the nearby hay bales and crossed her legs. The slit in her skirt showed bare thigh above her boot.

She sipped her mead, "What do you think of it?" There was room for two, but they would have to sit close.
 
Back
Top