The official Authors' Hangout Summer Lovin' 2019 Support Thread

So just checking the rules. Anything summer related? As long as it mentions summer somewhere in the story?

Russ

So just checking the rules. Anything summer related? As long as it mentions summer somewhere in the story?

Russ

Summer Lovin'
themes: warm weather, summer activities, bikinis, etc.
starts: August 21
closes: September 6
winners announced: September 13

So yeah, I'd say as long as it takes place during the summer it should be allowed. Although I guess it would help if the summer part was actually important for the story, or if it at least features typical summer things. So think stuff like going for ice cream, tanning in the sun, swimming pools, going to the beach, a cruise or tropical holiday, etc.

Russ

The subject matter rules for contests and events are, as far as I can tell, always liberally interpreted. Make a half-hearted effort to connect it to the subject, and you'll be fine. That's as it should be. Liberal interpretation encourages authors to be creative and gives them more license to write the stories they want to write rather than force-fitting them into an uncomfortable mold.

Write a story and make sure it’s hot and humid, and that teachers aren’t working.

Boom. Summer Lovin’.

Story Idea

I got this idea for this guy staying at a hotel and banging some broads there. It should be a postmodern exploration in the heart and soul of men that brings new depths into the eyes of men who dare gaze upon it.

The subject matter rules for contests and events are, as far as I can tell, always liberally interpreted. Make a half-hearted effort to connect it to the subject, and you'll be fine. That's as it should be. Liberal interpretation encourages authors to be creative and gives them more license to write the stories they want to write rather than force-fitting them into an uncomfortable mold.

Yes! I was unpleasantly surprised at how many of the Nude Day stories had nothing about nudity in them, other than characters getting naked to make the sex more convenient. The first one I read like that, I made a comment to that effect, but then I saw it so many more times that I figured it must not matter.

Yes! I was unpleasantly surprised at how many of the Nude Day stories had nothing about nudity in them, other than characters getting naked to make the sex more convenient. The first one I read like that, I made a comment to that effect, but then I saw it so many more times that I figured it must not matter.

Well at least none of the negative comments I got were about that at the very least.

Do you ever have one of those days where you just monkey around on the keyboard, not sure exactly how you’re getting from point A to point B? How does that usually go for all of you? I predict a lot of cutting and self editing in my future.

It's a bit like that K.D.Lang song: "Contest Craving".

I'm with you on this - writers should at least try to write a story that meets the bare requirements of the contest. It would be like me writing a story in my Australian winter (now), then doing a "replace "winter" with "summer" run through the file, and submitting it for the current Summer Lovin' Contest. But I call bullshit when I see it ;).

Liberality sometimes equates to licence, sadly.

I got this idea for this guy staying at a hotel and banging some broads there. It should be a postmodern exploration in the heart and soul of men that brings new depths into the eyes of men who dare gaze upon it.

Stay right there while I go get a bucket of rocks. ;)

Nudity alone is a pretty tame theme for an erotica site, which zips right by that. I've always considered it one of the weakest contest themes here.

I am amazed at those of you who already have a story ready. How? How do you do it???

Start six months in advance, frankly. I’ve had Summer Loving done for months. I’m just about knocked Hallowe’en (sort of in a minefield, but I think I know the way out) and have maybe 4,000 words done for Christmas. I put them away for a week or three then return with fresh vision, so to speak.

I’ve got maybe 20 stories started, more than just plot bunnies. Eventually, they’ll all get done, one way or another.

Mind you, my mortgage doesn’t depend on my meeting deadlines, thankfully.

Nudity alone is a pretty tame theme for an erotica site, which zips right by that. I've always considered it one of the weakest contest themes here.

The topic guidelnes from Laurel are just:

Submissions must have an Nude Day theme: i.e. nudism, exhibitionism, voyeurism, surprise nudity, etc.

It's not clear if National Nude Day needs to be in the story at all (or if National Nude Day actually exists). My story featured exhibitionism and voyeurism, but it took place in the fall, and the two female characters were contractually obliged to be publicly modest.

The topic guidelnes from Laurel are just:

So what? That is in no way responsive to what I posted. A response wasn't really needed. I wasn't questioning the definition of the theme; I was giving the opinion that it was a lame one to write to on an erotica site.

Last edited:
So what? That is in no way responsive to what I posted. A response wasn't really needed. I wasn't questioning the definition of the theme; I was giving the opinion that it was a lame one to write to on an erotica site.

I was agreeing with you.

I actually liked the challenge of trying to make mere nudity a central theme, while coming up with something interesting. It seemed easy to assert or imply that the characters got naked. It seemed more interesting to figure out a plausible scenerio for them to get that way and *stay* that way.

I actually liked the challenge of trying to make mere nudity a central theme, while coming up with something interesting. It seemed easy to assert or imply that the characters got naked. It seemed more interesting to figure out a plausible scenerio for them to get that way and *stay* that way.

Yeah, I had some fun with that. My story is about a girl who's kind of peer-pressured into swimming naked with some popular girls, afraid to refuse because she wants to fit in. But it doesn't have to just be about nudity, as was quoted before exhibitionism and voyeurism also fit, which is a much broader and easier topic to have as a central theme.

I have always liked the Nude Day theme. My two highest ranked stories both at least partly revolve around an actual Nude Day celebration. It’s a key set-up in my current entry too. Readers/voters seem to reward entries that are ‘on theme’ even if there is no official enforcement mechanism.

Also, I am surprised at the comments seemingly downplaying the erotic potential of nudity itself, as though it is merely an obvious partial step toward the important stuff: sex.
Nudity is - for many people - a profoundly uncomfortable and vulnerable condition, physically and emotionally. And the exploration of characters being uncomfortable and vulnerable is a wonderful springboard for a wide range of eroticism. That’s without even getting to the arousing and voyeuristic aspects of seeing another person nude.

I wonder if this has something to do with how one is raised. I like nudity and public exhibitionism themes, but I was raised in an environment of modesty and some aversion to nudity. There's a certain thrill about nudity that remains to this day for me, even though I've gotten much more relaxed about it in my real life.

Also, I am surprised at the comments seemingly downplaying the erotic potential of nudity itself, as though it is merely an obvious partial step toward the important stuff: sex.
Nudity is - for many people - a profoundly uncomfortable and vulnerable condition, physically and emotionally. And the exploration of characters being uncomfortable and vulnerable is a wonderful springboard for a wide range of eroticism. That’s without even getting to the arousing and voyeuristic aspects of seeing another person nude.

Yes! Couldn’t agree more.

Write a story and make sure it’s hot and humid, and that teachers aren’t working.

Boom. Summer Lovin’.

Oh, man. I wanted to have a hot young teacher stuck teaching summer school to a dozen horny seniors who have to take the class to graduate...

Guess that won't work. ;)

I started to write a second Summer Lovin' entry but when finished it has become a Valentine's Day story filed away for 2020.

Back to the pile of incomplete Summer Lovin' drafts...

Back