WTF/FUNNY Gifs, Pics, & Videos: Volume 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
RbD6hXQ.gif

Mountain flying requires a special skill and knowledge due to the updrafts of wind / turbulence.

Anyone NOT familiar with mountain flying usually suffers the same fate - crashing.

FL30, you should be ashamed of yourself. This accident occurred when an Air National Guard helicopter attempted the rescue several people from the side of Mount Hood in Oregon. Despite knowing that their helicopter was not equipped for such a mix of low temperatures and altitudes, they risked their lives because there was no other helicopter anywhere in the state available to take on the mission. They risked their lives, and they died in the attempt. Whether or not it was a good idea is questionable, but their heroism is not. And for you to insinuate that they didn't have the skill and knowledge is just wrong.

Still covered in his blood, this is the chair that President Abraham Lincoln was seated in when he was shot in the back of the head by John Wilkes Booth over 150 years ago.

Pf4uv0b.jpg

Still covered in his blood, this is the chair that President Abraham Lincoln was seated in when he was shot in the back of the head by John Wilkes Booth over 150 years ago.

Pf4uv0b.jpg

Grant was scheduled to be with Lincoln that night, but his wife didn't like Mary that much, so they cancelled. Sitting next to the President was Mary, Major Rathbone and his fiance. In addition to a small pistol, Booth had a knife, and slashed Rathbone on the way out the back door of the theater. Booth stumbled on stage, jumping from the box where Lincoln was in, and may have caught his foot on the decorations celebrating the recent Union victory. He broke his leg. People heard him say "sic semper tyrannis" (basically, this is what you get when you are a tyrant). Booth's associates nearly killed the Secretary of State, but chickened out in attempting to kill the VP. If you want to know more, let me know, I am an expert on this subject.

FL30, you should be ashamed of yourself. This accident occurred when an Air National Guard helicopter attempted the rescue several people from the side of Mount Hood in Oregon. Despite knowing that their helicopter was not equipped for such a mix of low temperatures and altitudes, they risked their lives because there was no other helicopter anywhere in the state available to take on the mission. They risked their lives, and they died in the attempt. Whether or not it was a good idea is questionable, but their heroism is not. And for you to insinuate that they didn't have the skill and knowledge is just wrong.

First of all, I am aware of the accident. As a pilot for many years, (30+) I always read up and examine every accident to see where the errors occurred. Second, I still stand by my statement that is takes a certain skill level to fly in mountain ranges due to the weather and wind conditions and YES even the altitudes involved.

Just because you're the ONLY helicopter available doesn't mean that YOU should attempt the rescue when you are flying a plane or helicopter out of it's known flight envelope. Every pilot knows that high elevation decreases available lift and decreases engine performance!

Due to the pilots poor decision, more people died than should have.

Even the accident report stated poor decision making by the pilots.

So you should shut the fuck up.

First of all, I am aware of the accident. As a pilot for many years, (30+) I always read up and examine every accident to see where the errors occurred. Second, I still stand by my statement that is takes a certain skill level to fly in mountain ranges due to the weather and wind conditions and YES even the altitudes involved.

Just because you're the ONLY helicopter available doesn't mean that YOU should attempt the rescue when you are flying a plane or helicopter out of it's known flight envelope. Every pilot knows that high elevation decreases available lift and decreases engine performance!

Due to the pilots poor decision, more people died than should have.

Even the accident report stated poor decision making by the pilots.

So you should shut the fuck up.

Alice, it is human nature to "do something" when they see people in need of rescuing. For some people they do not then evaluate the risks appropriately. The aviation industry, unfortunately, is littered with these tragic outcomes.

All aircraft have performance limitations, in this instance, the helicopter performance was such it did not have the appropriate level to be up the mountain in the conditions. The decision to proceed was that of the helicopter captain (I assume two pilots on-board) and consequently an accident report finding of poor decision making.

This does not take away from what the crew were looking to achieve, however, there were some risks that should have been considered further by the crew and they had the resources available to them to help them with that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back