A Picture is Worth a Thousand FAWCs

The way my story was written, I'm actually thinking it could fit in very well as a Winter Holidays entry. But that would be a moot point if I can't access it.

The way my story was written, I'm actually thinking it could fit in very well as a Winter Holidays entry. But that would be a moot point if I can't access it.

Ah, didn't realize it was corrupted to that extent. Sorry about that. If you reconstruct it, there's no reason it couldn't be entered to the Winter Holidays contest and also linked to FAWC as inspired by the exercise. You could just do the linking to this thread.

But sorry to hear you can dredge it up at all. I'm old world. They go to floppies as I'm writing them. (And the whole reason I started posting them to the Internet was to use it as an additional backstop.)

I'm going to be very interested to see what came from my picture. I might even write one later to see how my take stacks up. Right now I'm up to my eyebrows in an edit and rewrite on a novel.

My first thought when I saw the picture was a castaway from one island escaped on a raft to float up on this beach. :D

I'm going to be very interested to see what came from my picture. I might even write one later to see how my take stacks up. Right now I'm up to my eyebrows in an edit and rewrite on a novel.

My first thought when I saw the picture was a castaway from one island escaped on a raft to float up on this beach. :D

Yeah, it would be fun to see what inspired you to select this image. Good plot bunny for it.

Ah, didn't realize it was corrupted to that extent. Sorry about that. If you reconstruct it, there's no reason it couldn't be entered to the Winter Holidays contest and also linked to FAWC as inspired by the exercise. You could just do the linking to this thread.

But sorry to hear you can dredge it up at all. I'm old world. They go to floppies as I'm writing them. (And the whole reason I started posting them to the Internet was to use it as an additional backstop.)

Yeah, the whole flash drive seems to be caput. I may just have to write it -- and everything on it -- off. That would allow me to rewrite the story, but I have a problem with that. Once I've written it, I have a problem doing the same story a second time (part of the reason I don't make outlines). So I would probably write a totally new one . . . but maybe with some of the elements I liked from my original.

Yeah, the whole flash drive seems to be caput. I may just have to write it -- and everything on it -- off. That would allow me to rewrite the story, but I have a problem with that. Once I've written it, I have a problem doing the same story a second time (part of the reason I don't make outlines). So I would probably write a totally new one . . . but maybe with some of the elements I liked from my original.

I have that same problem. I lost the second book to a trilogy and have tried to rewrite it a half dozen times. It never has worked out as good as the first and I remember the whole thing from the first write.

I had a laptop stolen with a big chunk of a NaNo novel on it. I've not be able to recreate it either. I still had the opening on a flash drive but the rest is history. I posted the Intro here: Powers

And we're offffff. The stories now appear on the Chain Story new listing. Haven't shown up in the general New listing yet.

As of this morning, we have a handful of votes on each one and a single comment, on Wallpaper. The scores are pretty much all over the place, ranging from 3.00 to 5.00. As of yet, no comments sent to email.

Thanks off the top to Slyc for setting this up, Laurel for getting them up in "contest mode," and TxRad for the image.

Thanks off the top to Slyc for setting this up, Laurel for getting them up in "contest mode," and TxRad for the image.

I was kind of worried about the image when it first came up. I think it surprised a bunch of people.

I was kind of worried about the image when it first came up. I think it surprised a bunch of people.

It did me. It wasn't as evocative as the image given in the suggestion. (A man carrying a woman up a staircase.) Had to think harder. But when I did, the possibilities started popping out. Wish I'd thought of yours of a castaway floating into that scene, though. That's a corker. Especially if they were having a convention of women personal trainers at the resort. :D

This may be a dumb question, but how do we see what the scores are for the stories? Can we see number of votes, etc, or can only FAWCer see that?

I started reading them just now, exciting!

This may be a dumb question, but how do we see what the scores are for the stories? Can we see number of votes, etc, or can only FAWCer see that?

I started reading them just now, exciting!

The scores have already started to be posted on the Chain Story hub. They also can be seen in the FAWCKer author page listings. In both cases, though, the postings are considerably delayed. Only FAWCKer can see the near-term scoring (on his submissions page) and only he will receive e-mails or PMs on the stories--but has, in the past, shared these directly with the author.

That's what I thought, too, though when I looked they were only xx? Maybe I looked too soon?

Sup FAWCers.

So okay, just wanted to stop in and give a little note. I've started reading on the stories in the contest. While initially at the sight of the picture I was unsure if I was interested, I've already been surprised by the stories I've read... which is two.

As a reader, I wanted to read all the FAWC entries, give every one a vote, and a comment. (My comment will be the long one that seems like the guy won't shut the hell up.) My intent was to kind of up the feedback for each entry, giving everyone a read, and to support the contest which I think is an awesome exercise.

Now, keep in mind that like usual, my comments are only my personal opinion, and I ain't no pro, so don't take every single criticism to heart. I'm just reading for fun and supporting the contest. Any comment I give, you can take it or leave it.

And just so we are clear, I don't analyze each story to see if I can figure out who the author is. I may participate in that later here on the forum, but I'm reading each entry with an open mind, keeping the fairness and anonymity as is the spirit of the contest.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. You FAWCers are awesome, and good luck in the contest to everybody.

Sup FAWCers.

So okay, just wanted to stop in and give a little note. I've started reading on the stories in the contest. While initially at the sight of the picture I was unsure if I was interested, I've already been surprised by the stories I've read... which is two.

As a reader, I wanted to read all the FAWC entries, give every one a vote, and a comment. (My comment will be the long one that seems like the guy won't shut the hell up.) My intent was to kind of up the feedback for each entry, giving everyone a read, and to support the contest which I think is an awesome exercise.

Now, keep in mind that like usual, my comments are only my personal opinion, and I ain't no pro, so don't take every single criticism to heart. I'm just reading for fun and supporting the contest. Any comment I give, you can take it or leave it.

And just so we are clear, I don't analyze each story to see if I can figure out who the author is. I may participate in that later here on the forum, but I'm reading each entry with an open mind, keeping the fairness and anonymity as is the spirit of the contest.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. You FAWCers are awesome, and good luck in the contest to everybody.

That's awesome! Read mine next, will ya? :D

I looked at all of them and scored one of them '5'. None are bad or even middlin, tho.

All start with a 5, two chronic issues lower the score ONE point. Chronic means plenty, lots. I don't ONE BOMB unless its a typing error, its happens, and I feel awful cuz its forever. So I'm being careful, especially as I cant see. WTF?

Good luck!

Good luck everyone.

I started reading them this morning and the one I chose to read first was an interesting story. Almost forgot to comment as anonymous ( I don't like to be anon in comments usually but I understand the necessity in this contest) Hopefully I will get through them all over the next few days seeing as there are only nine this time around.

Thanks once again to Slyc for his organisation and Laurel for allowing us to mess with her daily schedule to get them all up together. :D

I am not sure whether to thanks TxRad or not as the picture was not what I was expecting (very location orientated) but i guess it made me try and work out of my comfort zone a little, rather than just write a typical holiday story. So Thanks to you too ;)

Last edited:
Clean up on aisle three: A spammer who has been around for a while is posting adverts to the FAWC stories, FAWCKer. When you get a chance you might erase them. Strange that "Veronica" has been permitted to do this for a couple of weeks without the Web site zeroing out her account.

Clean up on aisle three: A spammer who has been around for a while is posting adverts to the FAWC stories, FAWCKer. When you get a chance you might erase them. Strange that "Veronica" has been permitted to do this for a couple of weeks without the Web site zeroing out her account.

I popped her with a note to Laurel yesterday. Hopefully that will be the end of that one.

Now, now Teach, you're all anonymous here. I have no way of knowing who you are. : )

But you certainly will be read. And you will have a long winded rambling comment by yours truly.

I know! I know! I didn't even see which ones you read. Maybe you already read it.

Why didn't you participate in this one? I would like to have seen where this one took you.

I've started reading, commenting, and voting. So far some great stories.

Back