Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've remembered this great word, although I think it's slang:

poddle - ambling along in a leisurely contented fashion, is how I would define it.

Michael, my darling :kiss:, I found quite another definition of 'pooning' when I googled it, LOL, and it had NOTHING to do with cardboard!

I like palinode.

Any pictures of the Buddha garden, Allard?
:rose:

I've remembered this great word, although I think it's slang:

poddle - ambling along in a leisurely contented fashion, is how I would define it.

Michael, my darling :kiss:, I found quite another definition of 'pooning' when I googled it, LOL, and it had NOTHING to do with cardboard!

I like palinode.

Any pictures of the Buddha garden, Allard?
:rose:

poddle = pootle
The difference is that
"someone was poddling down the road"
whereas
"I was pootling along, minding my own business. . "

poddle = pootle
The difference is that
"someone was poddling down the road"
whereas
"I was pootling along, minding my own business. . "

I wonder if they are etymologically related? Perhaps they come from Winnie the Pooh. Wikipedia says pootle comes from
pudeln - to splash about in puddles.

(In pink wellies - of course!)

Naoko, you are such a dear, really. I do miss you when you are absent, just so you know. I am going to admit a major flaw of mine, which has been forced into correction. I have shunned cellphone use to the best of my ability, but now I have an iPhone and my little world has expanded by leaps and bounds. To cut this story a bit short, I will take my new phone outside tomorrow and try taking some pictures with the thing, instead of my digital camera, and then upload them onto my computer. Bending that learning curve is always a good thing, especially as we get older. It helps keep one young, in mind, if not body.

palanquin - noun a conveyance formerly used in eastern Asia esp. for one person that consists of an enclosed litter borne on the shoulders of men by means of poles

My phone is charged and I am heading out the door, right after this quick post;

palaestra - noun 1. a school in ancient Greece or Rome for wrestling and other sports 2. GYMNASIUM

My phone is charged and I am heading out the door, right after this quick post;

palaestra - noun 1. a school in ancient Greece or Rome for wrestling and other sports 2. GYMNASIUM

You get better results from a digital camera these days.
:)

In Ancient Greece, people at a palaestra or gymnasium would be exercising or competing nude. Of course, no women were allowed anywhere near, nor were women allowed at the Olympic Games - where all competitors were also nude. A good word for the next themed contest - Nude Day.

Naoko, you are such a dear, really. I do miss you when you are absent, just so you know. I am going to admit a major flaw of mine, which has been forced into correction. I have shunned cellphone use to the best of my ability, but now I have an iPhone and my little world has expanded by leaps and bounds. To cut this story a bit short, I will take my new phone outside tomorrow and try taking some pictures with the thing, instead of my digital camera, and then upload them onto my computer. Bending that learning curve is always a good thing, especially as we get older. It helps keep one young, in mind, if not body.

palanquin - noun a conveyance formerly used in eastern Asia esp. for one person that consists of an enclosed litter borne on the shoulders of men by means of poles

Gosh, I am completely thrilled and blushing! :eek: I do have some piccies of flowers in my garden; I've just been very slow at uploading them owing to having to run around doing half term holiday things, and then organising Piglet into her synchronised swimming and kayaking lessons. There can be few pleasures compared to watching an obtreperous piglet being dumped head over heels in the water! They did it several times, to my great delight.

Here are the synchronised swimming piglets ;) faute de mieux. I too will get my pictures up soon! I have some nice ones of a wild garlic picking expedition.

29092024_.jpg

Naoko, just so you know, I wanted to be a synchronized swimmer when I was a girl, so I envy little piglet her lessons at such a young age. I also wanted to be a ballerina and a princess. Mom picked ballerina and off I went to classes for six years, until I was 12. Puberty hit, I had dimensions like Marilyn Monroe (36-24-36) and I just did not fit in with the lithe ballerinas any more. Also, yesterday was so hot, we are in a heat wave here, that all I could do was water everything. Later this afternoon, I will take both camera and phone outside to catch a few wonders of nature in my yard.

Og, you mean completely nude, no covering to protect the genitalia, whatsoever? I know they were not circumcised, but still!

I think I might have posted this word long ago, but now I see its relation to palantine;

paladin - noun (from Italian paladino meaning palace official - more at PALATINE) 1. a champion of a medieval prince 2. an outstanding protagonist of a cause

I think I might have posted this word long ago, but now I see its relation to palantine;

paladin - noun (from Italian paladino meaning palace official - more at PALATINE) 1. a champion of a medieval prince 2. an outstanding protagonist of a cause

In England, now for the UK, the post of Queen's (King's) Champion as the Paladin still exists: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_Champion

Since the current Paladin held that post at the Queen's Coronation in 1953, I assume he is rather old to do the fighting today.

I like the idea of his son, a chartered accountant, succeeding to the post of Queen's Champion. Duel by Ledger Entry?

Last edited:
In England, now for the UK, the post of Queen's (King's) Champion as the Paladin still exists: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_Champion

Since the current Paladin held that post at the Queen's Coronation in 1953, I assume he is rather old to do the fighting today.

I like the idea of his son, a chartered accountant, succeeding to the post of Queen's Champion. Duel by Ledger Entry?

Double-entry books at 20 paces, at dawn, Sirrah!

Thank you for answering my question so quickly, Og, and adding the information on paladin. Extreme heat and internet connection problems have kept me away.

pair-oar - noun a boat rowed by two men pulling one oar each and seated one abaft the other

Good day, everyone.

Og, I have another question for you, this time from the works of Shakespeare. I was hoping you could explain the use of "soft". "Fie" I can understand easily enough, but how did "soft" become an opening? And why did "fie" go out of style? It says so much with just three letters. I hate to say it, but it seems like F--- Y-- has taken its place.

paillon - noun a thin sheet of metallic foil used esp. in enameling and gilding

Good day, everyone.

Og, I have another question for you, this time from the works of Shakespeare. I was hoping you could explain the use of "soft". "Fie" I can understand easily enough, but how did "soft" become an opening? And why did "fie" go out of style? It says so much with just three letters. I hate to say it, but it seems like F--- Y-- has taken its place.

paillon - noun a thin sheet of metallic foil used esp. in enameling and gilding

"Soft".
Used to urge silence or caution; or to discourage haste.
Byron used "But soft, here they come!"

fie exclam. of disgust at a stench. Cf. ON fy.]
A int. Expr. disgust, reproach, or (a pretence or assumption of) outraged propriety. arch. ME.
B n. An utterance of the word 'fie', a reproach, a protest. Now rare. M16.

---------------------------------------------------------
Excerpted from Oxford Talking Dictionary
Copyright © 1998 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Thank you, Handley, for that explanation. Soft, I suppose, could also mean whisper, under those definitions. Very interesting.

My inferior dictionary has so many entries for soft, it is daunting, but under the synonyms part it says;

soft - implies a subduing of all that is vivid, intense or forceful until it is agreeably soothing

Greetings, All. I hope you had a nice weekend.

paillette - noun a small shiny object (as a spangle)

I've found this nice mathematical word: parabola, which Maths Is Fun defines as
If you kick a soccer ball (or shoot an arrow, fire a missile or throw a stone) it will arc up into the air and come down again ...
... following the path of a parabola!
(Except for how the air affects it.)

I suppose we use it more often to say parabolic curve.

It's just an excuse to post piccies. Here are some I've uploaded onto Skydrive:
Rhubarb which flowered to my surprise (but HP says it's still edible):
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=855FED83F96F239B!123&authkey=!AGHrBQ0MAvatW1w
Cat sleeping under rhubarb (she fell pregnant, to my surprise - as I had been assured she was spayed :mad:)
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=855FED83F96F239B!122&authkey=!ALyCK0L6CrQ1YVQ
Our Gloire de Hollande roses
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=855FED83F96F239B!124&authkey=!AOYKIphFRayWMDU

and this is my 'office', LOL, under the roses.

Photo1261.jpg
f

Very nice, Naoko. You are ahead of me, I still need to upload the pictures I took with my digital camera, which was better, onto my computer. But I am getting closer.

paeon - noun a metrical foot of four syllables with one long and three short syllables (as in classical prosody) or with one stressed and three unstressed syllables (as in English prosody)

Very nice, Naoko. You are ahead of me, I still need to upload the pictures I took with my digital camera, which was better, onto my computer. But I am getting closer.

paeon - noun a metrical foot of four syllables with one long and three short syllables (as in classical prosody) or with one stressed and three unstressed syllables (as in English prosody)

I had to look up Prosody; I'd never heard it before.

Handley, me neither, so I will post it for all;

prosody - noun 1. the study of versification; esp: the systematic study of metrical structure: METRICS 2. a particular system, theory, or style of versification

Greetings, everyone.

paean - noun a joyously exultant song or hymn of praise, tribute, thanksgiving, or triumph

Og, and you used it very well, I might add. Quite entertaining, my friend. Garderobe is a new one for me, so here goes;

garderobe - noun 1. a wardrobe or its contents 2. a private room: BEDROOM 3. PRIVY

Og, and you used it very well, I might add. Quite entertaining, my friend. Garderobe is a new one for me, so here goes;

garderobe - noun 1. a wardrobe or its contents 2. a private room: BEDROOM 3. PRIVY

In the days when Lords had castles, the Garderobe was a small chamber with a comfortable seat so a person could hang the backside out and get on with the toilet process. Usually on an outside wall, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back